Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #261
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Another thing I've been curious about is the metal sleeves that sometimes come on sealed cans, are they just there to put a label on or do they serve a purpose?

Look up flux ring or torque ring.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Flux ring!

It was on the tip of my tongue, haven't thought about them since I had a gen-1 E-Maxx and was looking for replacement motors...

Found a post by "kf2qd" on an Arduino forum:

"Improves the magnetic field around the motor to make the motor have more torque. Also improves efficiency. Some motor designs need it more than others. For instance - I have built some brushless motors for model airplanes. Without the flux ring they could run faster, but with little torque. With the flux ring they have much more torque and are much more usable for spinning a propeller."

Last edited by durok; 02-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

BTW - wanna see some weirdness?

All the below parts are from a hard-drive and a couple different CDROM / DVDROM drives I disassembled today:

Interesting bits of electric motors used to spin platters, move read/write heads, retract CD disc.. and the actual hard drive platters, and attached to the zinc-plated pieces in the platter pic are 2 SERIOUSLY strong magnets...

Still have another hard drive, and another entire PC to disassemble - I also have some other metal bits soaking in solvent.

These 2 PCs were extremely old, to slow for anyone to want - or even to pay a decent price for the bits and pieces.

I'm definitely keeping some parts for use in projects, and the magnets work great for magnetizing driver bits / nuts & bolts...
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #264
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
BTW - wanna see some weirdness?

All the below parts are from a hard-drive and a couple different CDROM / DVDROM drives I disassembled today:

Interesting bits of electric motors used to spin platters, move read/write heads, retract CD disc.. and the actual hard drive platters, and attached to the zinc-plated pieces in the platter pic are 2 SERIOUSLY strong magnets...

Still have another hard drive, and another entire PC to disassemble - I also have some other metal bits soaking in solvent.

These 2 PCs were extremely old, to slow for anyone to want - or even to pay a decent price for the bits and pieces.

I'm definitely keeping some parts for use in projects, and the magnets work great for magnetizing driver bits / nuts & bolts...
I work at an electronics recycling company, have a bunch of those magnets, as well as some similar strength but much smaller rare earth magnets salvaged from iMac bezels.... really handy to have around

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #265
Rock Stacker

Is there a way too tell if a bec is toast? I have a rig where the esc fried and im getting it back in working order and only want to go through the wiring and whatnot once. Ill be replacing the burnt esc with apair of teken esc from my second rig and that one will be getting a holmes dual unit
socal gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #266
Rock Crawler

Duh... if there's no voltage on the output? Connect a fan, bulb or something if you don't have a voltmeter.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #267
Quarry Creeper

Wraith trail runner, mild crawling, 3s geared down 32p spur/pinion. 21T 550 trailmaster, or 27t 540 trailmaster?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #268
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
Wraith trail runner, mild crawling, 3s geared down 32p spur/pinion. 21T 550 trailmaster, or 27t 540 trailmaster?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Wraith, I'd definitely go for the 550

I did nothing but overheat 540's in my Wraith
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere...

I have an Axial SCX10II Honcho. I would like to have some more speed but not too crazy, but I really want it to be great for crawling with excellent control. Of course I want it to be really waterproof so I'm leaning towards brushless.

What Holmes Hobbies combo would you recommend?

I don't know if this helps, but I bought 2 Venom 7.4 5000 20C batteries with my Honcho.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #270
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere...

I have an Axial SCX10II Honcho. I would like to have some more speed but not too crazy, but I really want it to be great for crawling with excellent control. Of course I want it to be really waterproof so I'm leaning towards brushless.

What Holmes Hobbies combo would you recommend?

I don't know if this helps, but I bought 2 Venom 7.4 5000 20C batteries with my Honcho.

Any help would be appreciated.
Brushed is more impervious to water than sensored brushless.

If you need good low speed control, water/mud résistance and no crazy top speed, i would look at a good brushed 550 can.

Like the Holmes Hobbies trailmaster sport 550 21T, it's super cheap so if you don't like it, it's only 20$.

If you go brushless, you also need a new ESC so it's not cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #271
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Brushed is more impervious to water than sensored brushless.

If you need good low speed control, water/mud résistance and no crazy top speed, i would look at a good brushed 550 can.

Like the Holmes Hobbies trailmaster sport 550 21T, it's super cheap so if you don't like it, it's only 20$.

If you go brushless, you also need a new ESC so it's not cheap.

I appreciate your suggestion. I'm not so much worried about price... within reason. I will consider this option for sure. I was under the impression that the Holmes brushless stuff was already waterproof.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #272
RCC Addict

Yes the holmes stuff is waterproof but the sensor wire will always remain more exposed than a brushed setup.

If money isn't an issue, Holmes puller pro brushless with Mamba X!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #273
RCC Addict

For wheelspeed you need gears or a faster motor - most went to 3S AFAIK.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #274
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

For water I tend to recommend either TrailMaster sport sealed can brushed, or else brushless if you are willing to tear down after every run to prevent rusting. If you wont' be tearing it down (I don't), go with a sealed can.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #275
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
For water I tend to recommend either TrailMaster sport sealed can brushed, or else brushless if you are willing to tear down after every run to prevent rusting. If you wont' be tearing it down (I don't), go with a sealed can.
Alright. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I had the brushless vs brushed totally reversed in my head as to what I presumed would be more waterproof. I'm sticking with a brushed and going for a sealed can type.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #276
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Brushless is more water resistant in many ways. But it’s expensive and will rust, so most people favor the low cost sealed cans. It’s half the reason I carry them.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #277
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Brushless is more water resistant in many ways. But it’s expensive and will rust, so most people favor the low cost sealed cans. It’s half the reason I carry them.
I really want to just have an awesome balance of great crawling performance an a chunk of extra speed. My truck is awesome out of the box. It's just slow on level ground. I don't want it to be like a trophy truck, I just want it to be little more fun when there is no crawling terrain. If I don't have to spend a ton, that's great. If I need to spend a few extra bucks to get what I need that's ok too. What I don't want to do is replace the motor for something that isn't noticeably better. I do however plan to abuse the stock components to get an idea of what is all can handle, and then I will upgrade whatever is needed. All sounds like fun to me. If I need to take some extra steps to keep an awesome motor protected, that's cool too. I'm in no hurry. I'm basically shopping for an upgraded motor for when I kill the original one or have to pull it for a rebuild.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #278
I wanna be Dave

I gotta say as a starter setup you can't really beat a HobbyWing 1080 ESC with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t. Run it on 3S and have a blast!

You can always repurpose it for a second rig if/when you decide to go brushless... but for cost vs performance it is in my humble opinion the current king of all setups.

Get a FlySky GT3-C radio and a servo with at least 300oz-in of torque to complete your budget electronics gear.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #279
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I gotta say as a starter setup you can't really beat a HobbyWing 1080 ESC with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t. Run it on 3S and have a blast!
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm compiling a list here and checking some reviews. This set-up is looking pretty promising. Since I am new to this I have some additional questions...

What motor leads option should I select when ordering from Holmes Hobbies? I'm not familiar with the different kinds or the specific terminology. What is best for a direct replacement for the SCX10II? What are the pros and cons of different options for the leads. I will solder if needed, but I'm not the best at it. I guess some practice wouldn't kill me.

Thanks again to all who have replied on here. This is a great forum and I'm learning a lot. It's like online RC school.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #280
RCC Addict

Get 4mm bullets, it's much easier to plug and unplug.
You will need to add the corresponding bullets to the esc wires.

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM