Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #281
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

The 180 degree (straight) leads are standard. just get those.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #282

i have a HH HV500v2 i want to install into my trx4. i have a CC 10 amp bec and HH bypass, stock ESC with trx4 light kit running of 3s. what can i set the bec to? is it possible to smoke the esc if i set the voltage too high?
Pierced Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #283
I wanna be Dave

I ordered some of the oddball plastic stuff from Holmes Hobbies, feel like messing around with some things:

1 black, 1 white "parts tray" (aka drink coasters - 3D printed!), 1 BWD Motor Sav'r (the tall black plastic canister), and a Motor Top Hat for sealed-endbell motors (the short black plastic canister)
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #284
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierced Soul View Post
i have a HH HV500v2 i want to install into my trx4. i have a CC 10 amp bec and HH bypass, stock ESC with trx4 light kit running of 3s. what can i set the bec to? is it possible to smoke the esc if i set the voltage too high?
That's not the way it works... You got no worries with the parts you bought, my friend!

The ESC will run off the 3S, like it's supposed to, the BEC will deliver the high-voltage servo enough power for it to work as it's supposed to, and the bypass will allow the stock ESC's built-in BEC to deliver power to all the other electronics (other servo's, lights, receiver).

The bypass you got does this:

"This adapter allows the use of an external BEC for servo power without needing to disable your ESC's internal BEC."

Set the external BEC to deliver something between 6.0v-8.4v to the servo, depending on the power you want out of it - here's the specs of the servo:

Torque @ 6v: 25.9 kg/cm (360 oz/inch)
Speed @ 6v: 0.14 sec
Torque @ 7.4v: 32.4 kg/cm (450 oz/inch)
Speed @ 7.4v: 0.12 sec
Torque @ 8.4v: 36.0 kg/cm (500 oz/inch)
Speed @ 8.4v: 0.11 sec

I'd set it to somewhere between 7.4v and 8.4v, myself. You paid for a strong servo - give it the juice it wants!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That's not the way it works... You got no worries with the parts you bought, my friend!
thanks! always worried im gonna damage something
Pierced Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #286
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierced Soul View Post
Durok's recommendations are spot on

Quote:
I ordered some of the oddball plastic stuff from Holmes Hobbies, feel like messing around with some things:

1 black, 1 white "parts tray" (aka drink coasters - 3D printed!), 1 BWD Motor Sav'r (the tall black plastic canister), and a Motor Top Hat for sealed-endbell motors (the short black plastic canister)
Nice! The parts trays I designed with a flying edge as well, they fly pretty good as mini discs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #287

In digging around Youtube, I saw that you used to make (unless I'm completely blind and missed them on your site...) sensored Revolver motors. What ever happened to those, and how did they work for a crawler option?
I have to say, you putting yourself out here, and other places, sharing your knowledge and insight with the mass's has gotten you a new customer hands down. I have also been picking your brain on your Youtube vids....lol
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #288
RCC Addict

Quote:

I don't see any of that on the website.
Am i just looking at the wrong place?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #289
I wanna be Dave

Motor accessories... That's the section. I also bought orange traffic cones that are 3D printed. And a Revolver motor, and a 4100 "R"-type motor. Went a little nuts over the last month! I also already have a Trailmaster 550 21t in my Ascender.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #290
RCC Addict

Yeah i keep trying to convince myself i don't want brushless right away and i should run the truck first...

It's not really working much anymore with tax returns and work bonus coming soon...

Sadly the Mamba X is out of stock on the website for combo deal.

More time to think about which motor... I want the 540-L but i fear i won't be able to control the throttle and destroy my truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #291
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODC View Post
In digging around Youtube, I saw that you used to make (unless I'm completely blind and missed them on your site...) sensored Revolver motors. What ever happened to those, and how did they work for a crawler option?
I have to say, you putting yourself out here, and other places, sharing your knowledge and insight with the mass's has gotten you a new customer hands down. I have also been picking your brain on your Youtube vids....lol
He did make them.. if I remember correctly they were very tricky to manufacture. I'm sure he'll be mentioning what was up with them in a bit.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #292
Rock Crawler

IIRC it was extremely difficult to get the sensors to play nice with the motor, so instead they just have sensorless. Go check out their vids on the new Revolvers, they have extremely good low speed control.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

I know that I can't wait to run mine... On 4S
Old 03-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #294
Rock Crawler

Nice, I wish the SW4 could handle 4S.

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
IIRC it was extremely difficult to get the sensors to play nice with the motor, so instead they just have sensorless. Go check out their vids on the new Revolvers, they have extremely good low speed control.

I'm pretty sure I have checked out almost every vid the man has made...lol.
He helped me a ton with answering my comments on his Youtube video's, and as a result I'm going with a Mamba X and a Puller Pro 2200kv. But the price point on a Revolver is good enough that I'm going to get one of those as well to try out. He advised it's simply swap in one for the other, no other changes required. I THINK I might like the revolver more, but this way I'll know for sure.
Also the wife screamed at the noise of the Revolver with the Mamba X just from the Youtube vid, so I need the Puller Pro regardless if I have any intention of playing while she's in ear shot.....

I was just curious on the sensored Revolver, because to a Layman like me, it sounds like the best of both worlds.
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #296
Rock Stacker

are there any problems running 2 fxr esc double sided taped together? I just got a new dlux chassis and this seems to work best til I get a Holmes dual br mini
socal gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #297
Pebble Pounder

I used to know a guy who ran a revolver in a wraith and there pretty cool. I had a 3100kv Roc412 at the time in my wraith but wanted more of a low speed truck so i ordered one of the new release 1800kv sensored revolvers and its a badass motor tons of torque and the startup is super similar to brushed motors. the odd thing is you have to gear them taller than a 4 pole (IMO) for equal wheel speed but they always make more torque and yea the noise they make is crazy and loud!
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #298
I wanna be Dave

Just to clarify, you have one of the current model Revolver 1800kv motors, right? If so, they are sensorless...
Old 03-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #299
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Just to clarify, you have one of the current model Revolver 1800kv motors, right? If so, they are sensorless...
no worries on clarification i got it a a year or more ago and yes it does have a sensor port i believe that was the last run of sensored he did sorry to ruffle feathers my time frame for "new release" was a long time ago

Last edited by bongsten; 03-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #300
I wanna be Dave

No feathers ruffled, I do remember the discussion of those motors! Thanks for clearing that up, my man...

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM