Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #241

Default Re: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

Is anyone selling these escs already programmed and ready to rock. I love the idea and the quiet but I do t really want to dive into all this for it.
Thompson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 01:51 AM   #242
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson311 View Post
Is anyone selling these escs already programmed and ready to rock. I love the idea and the quiet but I do t really want to dive into all this for it.
The only one who sells them in the moment in the US is Holmes Hobbies.

Last edited by themountain; 11-16-2021 at 01:53 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:52 AM   #243
Rock Crawler

New update for the AM32 software ... https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...ases/tag/v1.80
Old 11-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
New update for the AM32 software ... https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...ases/tag/v1.80
Hmm, I don't see any mention of improvements to the transition between sine and normal mode. That's where I'd like to see improvement

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Dave_Pinnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Pinnock View Post
Hmm, I don't see any mention of improvements to the transition between sine and normal mode. That's where I'd like to see improvement

https://github.com/blitz2190/AM32-Crawler-firmware

Its a fork I work on, I made quite a few changes specifically for the switch over, this firmware is not compatible with the AM32 config tool it must be used with the one included in the releases, if not you will damage your esc. Big shout out to alka for without his work this would not exist, be sure to thank him. use with caution it works for me but no guarantee.

Last edited by HuckFlynn; 11-16-2021 at 12:08 PM.
HuckFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckFlynn View Post

Its a fork I work on, I made quite a few changes specifically for the switch over, this firmware is not compatible with the AM32 config tool it must be used with the one included in the releases, if not you will damage your esc. Big shout out to alka for without his work this would not exist, be sure to thank him. use with caution it works for me but no guarantee.
And a very good fork it is too
Old 11-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #247
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Pinnock View Post
And a very good fork it is too
Well...time will tell
Old 11-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Well...time will tell
I've been using it on one of my crawlers and it does a much better job of switching between sine and normal mode IMO. Tested it this morning and just editing some video now, will post a link once it's online

Old 11-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #249
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Nice, I just browse through the github and download the latest fw for my iflight 55 and config tool. I see that the config tool is totally different to the one provided by Alka, I've just flashed the fw, but haven't tried it yet since this is a spare esc that need to be installed to one of my rig to be tested. If I understand correctly there is a throttle curve settings in the config, can you please elaborate more on this fw.
Yudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudi13 View Post
Nice, I just browse through the github and download the latest fw for my iflight 55 and config tool. I see that the config tool is totally different to the one provided by Alka, I've just flashed the fw, but haven't tried it yet since this is a spare esc that need to be installed to one of my rig to be tested. If I understand correctly there is a throttle curve settings in the config, can you please elaborate more on this fw.
I need to write a wiki, so there are a few things you will want to do, the throttle calibration is similar to most esc's, power up the esc with the truck off the ground for safety, then while holding the throttle full power on the remote, you should here 2 beeps, move the throttle back and forth to its full extents a few times, then leave it centered, the truck will beep 2 more times when it saves the new values. for throttle curve the numbers in the grid represent what throttle percent the truck will see at the set number. P1-P10 represent throttle input 10% - 100%, and the numbers in the cells are what they will map to in the esc, so if you set P1 to 5 when your throttle in the remote is at 10% the truck will see 5%, current settings are what the midpoint will be set to when in sine mode, this firmware varies current, at the lowest speed sine mode will use 70% of this value and at full sine speed(not full speed just the open loop slow crawl) it will use 120%, the reason for this is at slower speeds it needs less current to prevent the motor slipping and higher it needs more. this also helps with heat.

Last edited by HuckFlynn; 11-17-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #251

Here's a quick vid of my iFlight Succex 45a running AM32 with a Revolver Snub Nose 1800kv.

Very pleased so far. The sine transition is noticable, but doesn't really seem to bother me during normal crawling. However, I plan to try the crawler fork next.

The 45a runs a bit warm, but no problems so far. I glued a heatsink to it to help keep it cooler. It has never been too hot to touch, but it has been close after intentionally keeping it in sine mode crawling up hill.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jqaw1IxirM4

Last edited by Mchaz; 11-20-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Mchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #252

I've uploaded a video of my Element Enduro using the modified firmware by @HuckFlynn. There is also a comparison between this and the original AM32 firmware. I might actually edit this video to include a comparison to using a Castle Sidewinder 4 ESC

https://youtu.be/CH9KwIsD5D4

Still waiting for the HD version to process at the moment :(
Old 11-18-2021, 03:37 AM   #253
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I need to write a wiki, so there are a few things you will want to do, the throttle calibration is similar to most esc's, power up the esc with the truck off the ground for safety, then while holding the throttle full power on the remote, you should here 2 beeps, move the throttle back and forth to its full extents a few times, then leave it centered, the truck will beep 2 more times when it saves the new values. for throttle curve the numbers in the grid represent what throttle percent the truck will see at the set number. P1-P10 represent throttle input 10% - 100%, and the numbers in the cells are what they will map to in the esc, so if you set P1 to 5 when your throttle in the remote is at 10% the truck will see 5%, current settings are what the midpoint will be set to when in sine mode, this firmware varies current, at the lowest speed sine mode will use 70% of this value and at full sine speed(not full speed just the open loop slow crawl) it will use 120%, the reason for this is at slower speeds it needs less current to prevent the motor slipping and higher it needs more. this also helps with heat.
Let me get this straight, when first starting the esc, do I hold the throttle full power while turning it on, or as what I understand from your comment above to turn it on then hold the throttle full power.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #254

Quote:
Let me get this straight, when first starting the esc, do I hold the throttle full power while turning it on, or as what I understand from your comment above to turn it on then hold the throttle full power.
1) power on esc
2) while holding throttle full, power on remote, should here 2 beeps
3) rock trigger back and forth
4) leave trigger centered, after it beeps 2 times again its saved
Old 11-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #255

hi guys,

what alternative we have for esc?
i have a wraith esc. ordered an flight 55a. it didnt come.
now i can see that all the prices are doubled. paying 60 bucks for an iflight 55a is not ok.

what cheap esc you are using?
vgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #256
Rock Stacker

Quote:
1) power on esc
2) while holding throttle full, power on remote, should here 2 beeps
3) rock trigger back and forth
4) leave trigger centered, after it beeps 2 times again its saved
Thanks for the clarification
Old 11-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #257
Rock Crawler

New config tool 1.82 for AM32 1.80
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qw2...zXCELxYG9/view
Old 11-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #258
Rock Stacker

Okay, have time to try the "crawler" version of AM32 last weekend on my iflight 55A. Follow installation and calibration instructions (using the specific config tool for this fw). The esc got hot pretty fast during the sinewave run, much hotter even than standard AM32, going back to the 1.74 Dixie Low Heat version made by voodbrew to check whether it's the hardware issue, and it's run much cooler. I understand iflight 55A is very prone to heat build up due to its design (I read it somewhere), but I still going to follow the development of crawler AM32 fw, perhaps there will be improvement in the future or it might be my mistake on the process of installing and setting it up. Learning from my previous experience upgrading Holmes Crawlmaster Mini firmware from v1.1 to v1.2 the esc settings might changed during the process (which in my case made the esc unable to arm), and I found it after comparing the settings on my esc after flash to the one in Holmes video. This might be similar case.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:53 AM   #259

Quote:
Okay, have time to try the "crawler" version of AM32 last weekend on my iflight 55A. Follow installation and calibration instructions (using the specific config tool for this fw). The esc got hot pretty fast during the sinewave run, much hotter even than standard AM32, going back to the 1.74 Dixie Low Heat version made by voodbrew to check whether it's the hardware issue, and it's run much cooler. I understand iflight 55A is very prone to heat build up due to its design (I read it somewhere), but I still going to follow the development of crawler AM32 fw, perhaps there will be improvement in the future or it might be my mistake on the process of installing and setting it up. Learning from my previous experience upgrading Holmes Crawlmaster Mini firmware from v1.1 to v1.2 the esc settings might changed during the process (which in my case made the esc unable to arm), and I found it after comparing the settings on my esc after flash to the one in Holmes video. This might be similar case.
Do you know what version you used? V1.3 has been pulled because of excessive heat so if you've got that one might be worth swapping to 1.10 which is the current latest version I think

Old 11-23-2021, 03:21 AM   #260
Rock Crawler

I am confused...? Did you try to put HH software onto the Iflight esc? Or do you have both escs?

Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get a Silent ESC for outrunner motors Voodoobrew Electronics 5 11-17-2020 01:25 PM
Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner Stray Electronics 10 10-27-2018 04:51 PM
Brushed esc with silent mode? moondaddy Electronics 9 10-03-2016 06:10 PM