Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Copperhead cutting out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Copperhead cutting out

Sounds like some BS! Mine would cut out without even being used, battery size plays no role at all in that situation. I would plug in the battery and get ready to head out, when I went to drive it would often be shut down. I also had it just come back on without doing anything. It would also come back after unplugging and plugging it back it. A battery at LVC would not do this!

I guess I'm lucky I didnt RMA it as they arent doing crap to fix this.

I use a 3600mah-4300mah battery

Now I'm wondering if the solution is to just disable LVC and use a battery checker when driving? I'll have to give that a try next run.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-08-2021 at 12:57 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
what battery plug are you running ive had deans plugs go bad and act the same way and look just fine

ive also had cold solder joints on xt60 plugs do the same thing
XT60s. power is never interrupted.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Sounds like some BS! Mine would cut out without even being used, battery size plays no role at all in that situation. I would plug in the battery and get ready to head out, when I went to drive it would often be shut down. I also had it just come back on without doing anything. It would also come back after unplugging and plugging it back it. A battery at LVC would not do this!

Now I'm wondering if the solution is to just disable LVC and use a battery checker when driving? I'll have to give that a try next run.
I ended up mounting one of these directly to the rear window to keep an eye on voltage. $4 and i can run it down right to 3.8v for storage purpose.

New Mini 0.36" 3 Digital LED Display DC 2.5-30V Red Volt Voltage Meter Voltmeter
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
I ended up mounting one of these directly to the rear window to keep an eye on voltage. $4 and i can run it down right to 3.8v for storage purpose.

New Mini 0.36" 3 Digital LED Display DC 2.5-30V Red Volt Voltage Meter Voltmeter
Can you turn off the low voltage cut off in the Copperhead. I just comp it and run it for 10 minutes at a time. It is set at 3.2 but never checked to see it if could be turned off.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The datalog does show low voltage where it cuts out but when you check the battery it is fine. The ESC appears to think the voltage is low even though it is not.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The datalog does show low voltage where it cuts out but when you check the battery it is fine. The ESC appears to think the voltage is low even though it is not.
This makes me think the battery can’t keep up with either the burst or total system amp draw. I believe this is understood as an insufficient C-rating in RC terms. As your doing your thing, the battery voltage drops slightly under load, perhaps to the point where the ESC sees lv. But when you go to check it, the voltage is normal, as it isn’t under load anymore.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'll just echo this again mine cuts out when turned on but idle/parked with a fully charged battery, virtually zero amp draw. It has never cut out while actually driving.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-09-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'll just echo this again mine cuts out when turned on but idle/parked with a fully charged battery, virtually zero amp draw. It has never cut out while actually driving.
This is how mine behaves and I get a solid green light. If I hit something kind of hard it stops and goes solid red and a faint whistle.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
This makes me think the battery can’t keep up with either the burst or total system amp draw. I believe this is understood as an insufficient C-rating in RC terms. As your doing your thing, the battery voltage drops slightly under load, perhaps to the point where the ESC sees lv. But when you go to check it, the voltage is normal, as it isn’t under load anymore.
It doesn't happen when you get on it, that is when it works perfect. It is after you stop. The batteries are 45C and 75C. Theses batteries run the same setups with an SW4 and MambaX just fine.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

So I took mine out yesterday, and had zero issues.

Previous runs were full of issues until the battery voltage dropped below 4v per cell.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Update. I ran the copperhead in another rig with bigger battery and it still cut out. Castle sent me a new one it is just the same as the first, randomly stalls.

Maybe it is just the newer ones that are shit. Daily in various RC groups you hear people with problems and castle will do nothing about. Screw Castle. They used to be good but now they suck.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I tried setting the LVC a bit higher (3.5v) than default to see if it still cut out and it still does cut out. I noticed the LED went out when this happened and came back on when it powered back up. Not sure if its supposed to flash a code for LVC or what.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
I tried setting the LVC a bit higher (3.5v) than default to see if it still cut out and it still does cut out. I noticed the LED went out when this happened and came back on when it powered back up. Not sure if its supposed to flash a code for LVC or what.
LVC has an audible alarm (short beep followed by a long one, repeated every 5s) with red led on!
guido_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Update. I ran the copperhead in another rig with bigger battery and it still cut out. Castle sent me a new one it is just the same as the first, randomly stalls.

Maybe it is just the newer ones that are shit. Daily in various RC groups you hear people with problems and castle will do nothing about. Screw Castle. They used to be good but now they suck.
Have you always tried with the same motor? Which one?
guido_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

my guess is they have someone in there factory that dosent know how to solder and there getting every somany escs with a cold solder joint causing the cut out
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
my guess is they have someone in there factory that dosent know how to solder and there getting every somany escs with a cold solder joint causing the cut out
But the replacement unit is the same... So either OP is extremely unlucky, it's affecting more ESCs than just a tiny amount, or the ESC wasn't the problem in the first place.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:17 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
But the replacement unit is the same... So either OP is extremely unlucky, it's affecting more ESCs than just a tiny amount, or the ESC wasn't the problem in the first place.
maybe that guy dose alot of soldering and screws up alot
maybe it.needs better or more capacitors
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido_owl View Post
Have you always tried with the same motor? Which one?
3 different motors from other RCs that all run perfect but still the same stalling issue with the Copperhead with each one of them.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
It could be poor workmanship or poor materials. Lot of people are having the same issue as me and there are people out there with Copperheads that run perfect. I am not sure how many different people and sources of materials they use.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #40

Had the same issue with a fresh out the box Limited Edition Copperhead this weekend at Motorama. Hooked it up with a 2400kv Revolver, set up according to Holmes' video, and mid-comp it locked up on us. Just a solid red LED and the motor humming away(and getting quite hot). Happened a few more times as well, and was totally reproducible. Going from forward to reverse trying to rock over a high center, or hitting the drag brake too fast after letting off the throttle and it locked up. We tried lowering startup power and changing drag brake ramp, updated the firmware, and reset the ESC. We even pulled the trans out and were able to reproduce the issue with no load. Tried it with another Limited Edition Copperhead we bought, and same issue. Finally, after replacing it with a Mamba Max, it worked perfectly fine without issue. My bet it something is up with the Copperhead firmware.

One of use was coming from a Hobbwing Fusion, and the other from an RX4 with a 16t 5 slot... we're likely selling the copperheads and staying away from Castle. The only motivation for buying them was to have an ESC to run with the Revolver.
Cenzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Copperhead cutting out - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a Copperhead JK 58_Willys 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 10-27-2018 02:13 PM
Cutting a Cutting Board BJoe Tools, and Procedures 37 12-22-2009 12:34 AM
Copperhead rckcrawler Newbie General 24 04-07-2008 07:20 PM
cutting tranny when cutting bottom of chassis off... dieselfuel Newbie General 1 02-23-2006 08:10 PM