Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Why is it that if I trade in my old dead Rooster esc I can only upgrade to a Rooster 12T and not a Rooster Crawler? And with shipping, tax and all why does this trade in cost as much as a new Rooster? For the same $$$ I can buy a new esc and not have to wait for it...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #302

Default novak goat timing adjustment?

Hi all, i was wondering if its possible to get more torque out of the goat crawler brushless motor by adjusting the timing?
offmyaxials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #303
Rock Crawler

Hey Charlie or Grizz, I have 3 Novak Rooster Crawlers and i just noticed that 2 of them are the "W" code, one is Brand New In Box and the other is on my comp rig, it has the jitters. If I send them both in What kind of turn around am I looking at, for I have a comp the 19th and can not ship to yall till Monday after this weekends run? Just trying to see if it would be better to ship at the same time for cheaper shipping or ship separate so I will have something to run? Thanks Guys
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #304
Rock Crawler

Nate- Not sure, I'll check with the bosses and see if we can't make some changes. Shipping and handling is part of life.

Off- Not really, maybe just a little, but nothing you wuold notice. Do you "need" more torque from the Goat?? I can't imagine why, i've busted every part of the trucks we've got at half throttle.

JB- We try to get them turned around in a day or two, but lately we've been pretty busy with lots of little things going on so turn around is a bit slower. Sometimes up to a week. Send them both at the same time, the faster we get them in, the faster we can get them back.

Thanks
Charlie@teamnovak.cmo
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #305
Rock Crawler

Allright, I will send both to you on Monday via UPS, thanks for everything you do for us
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Nate- Not sure, I'll check with the bosses and see if we can't make some changes. Shipping and handling is part of life.

Off- Not really, maybe just a little, but nothing you wuold notice. Do you "need" more torque from the Goat?? I can't imagine why, i've busted every part of the trucks we've got at half throttle.

JB- We try to get them turned around in a day or two, but lately we've been pretty busy with lots of little things going on so turn around is a bit slower. Sometimes up to a week. Send them both at the same time, the faster we get them in, the faster we can get them back.

Thanks
Charlie@teamnovak.cmo
Hi Charlie,thanks for taking the time to reply to us on here,,,
its not so much more torque i am after ,,its just that i have moved the timing ring more into the torque region and this has smoothed out the drive at the lowest possible speed(min drive) so that where it was quite jurky and coggy before i adjusted it,its now super smooth at all speeds,, i dont know if this is ok to do i, ie will it have any detrimental effects on the speedo or motor running it with the timing at this setting, i moved the timing by 3/4 of a segment mark.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #307
Pebble Pounder

Is there any kind of update on the downhill freewheeling issue? I just bought a Rooster Crawler Brushed ESC, and the freewheeling downhill makes it extremely difficult to precisely crawl down steep declines. If there is no fix for the brushed ESC, I will put it in my GF's crawler, and purchase the goat combo, only if freewheeling downhill is not an issue. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.

-Gord
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #308

how do hordsak, my goat system has no freewheeling issues, i just got it back from the uk distributer after another issue (more a problem with the user than the hard wear it would seem) and its perfect!!,cant say the same for the huge amount of backlash (slop ) in my ax10 transmission though!!
i too would like to know about the rooster issues as i am in the market for a new drive system for my other ax10 and am most likely going to keep it brushed.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #309
RCC Addict

Default New Goat System

Well i got my new Goat system last night and dead today hope this is just a freak deal worked great yesterday, put it up and this morning got it out plugged the battery in and turned on it started twitching, then all of the sudden started smoking my Lipo battery,unplugged lipo thought that might be the problem maybe went bad but it is working in my other car?????Now the Goat doesnt respond all the lights are lite up no matter wwhat you do with the switch, D/K hopefully I get it back soon just got my car together and was ready to wheel BUMMER!!!!!!! Oh well it on the way to Novak.
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #310
Pebble Pounder

Hope you get that fixed. I've been noticing my rooster brushed CE ESC twitching every now and then. I have a Spectrum DX 3.0. I've had 3 others ESC's in my crawler, and none of them have done anything like this. I just purchased it last week, and the serial number starts with a C. I don't want to have to send it in, because being in Canada I'm going to get raped on shipping. I wonder if my LHS will trade me for another one, that hopefully will not have this issue.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #311

Default ok, novak, whats up??

can anyone at novak tell us why so many of there speedo's are going up in smoke? i watch a lot of racing on line , and take part in quite a few forums and have noticed that novak is the most likely to die in some way, dont get me wrong, i am not mud slinging here,, but these thing are the most expensive of the bunch and novak have a very high rep , i run tamiya speedos,6 of em with no issues, mtronics 4 of em with no issues,castle 1 of em with no issues, novak 3 of em and 2 of them have died and one had issues,
if i was reviewing for say a magazine i dare to say i would have to say that novak dont deliver 60% of the time and that the remaining 40% is questionable, and that would just be an honest conclusion arrived at from personel experience!!
IMO we need to know why this is happening and how to sort the issues, i payed the equivelant of $410 us for my goat system (uk)and it has already gave me one problem! that is not cool ! it works fine now but for how long??
mine did glitch for the first time last night and i now have the fear!!
sorry for the rant but this needs saying , to repeat i am not mud slinging ,novak have a top rep for a reason, its just that there are hundreds if not thousands of posts on the web about failed or glitchy novak roosters and goats, why is this ?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmyaxials View Post
can anyone at novak tell us why so many of there speedo's are going up in smoke? i watch a lot of racing on line , and take part in quite a few forums and have noticed that novak is the most likely to die in some way, dont get me wrong, i am not mud slinging here,, but these thing are the most expensive of the bunch and novak have a very high rep , i run tamiya speedos,6 of em with no issues, mtronics 4 of em with no issues,castle 1 of em with no issues, novak 3 of em and 2 of them have died and one had issues,
if i was reviewing for say a magazine i dare to say i would have to say that novak dont deliver 60% of the time and that the remaining 40% is questionable, and that would just be an honest conclusion arrived at from personel experience!!
IMO we need to know why this is happening and how to sort the issues, i payed the equivelant of $410 us for my goat system (uk)and it has already gave me one problem! that is not cool ! it works fine now but for how long??
mine did glitch for the first time last night and i now have the fear!!
sorry for the rant but this needs saying , to repeat i am not mud slinging ,novak have a top rep for a reason, its just that there are hundreds if not thousands of posts on the web about failed or glitchy novak roosters and goats, why is this ?
Unless you are an electrical engineer, you wont understand why IC's fail. I have always had Novak equipment in all of my cars. Only once did I purchase an ESC from Tekin and I was not impressed. The way I figure things is that some of the components that go into the manufacturing of a Novak end product are sourced from other companies around the world. Being that as it may there are bound to be some bad parts that make their way to Novak. Is this Novaks problem, yes. Are they going to do anything about it, absolutely. I have had 2 goat systems that both went up in smoke. Did it suck, yes. Was I able to get them warrantied, absolutely. Novak will stand behid their product 100%. And if you have a problem with that, purchase some one elses product.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #313
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Unless you are an electrical engineer, you wont understand why IC's fail. I have always had Novak equipment in all of my cars. Only once did I purchase an ESC from Tekin and I was not impressed. The way I figure things is that some of the components that go into the manufacturing of a Novak end product are sourced from other companies around the world. Being that as it may there are bound to be some bad parts that make their way to Novak. Is this Novaks problem, yes. Are they going to do anything about it, absolutely. I have had 2 goat systems that both went up in smoke. Did it suck, yes. Was I able to get them warrantied, absolutely. Novak will stand behid their product 100%. And if you have a problem with that, purchase some one elses product.
It sure does suck to be stuck in Canada with the shipping and border though.
I do plan on purchasing a goat for my crawler soon, and I hope it's a newer one, with no freewheeling issues.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post

fine!

Last edited by offmyaxials; 04-05-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #315

Default Question Goat/Rooster

I have just bought my son his first crawler (Axial Kit) and put the Rooster Crawler system in it under the recommendation of the guy at the shop over the Goat. Can anyone advise the Pros/Cons over each since I am buying my truck tomorrow and want to buy right the first time. I am going to run Lipo (unless there is a major con with it), Nomadio Sensor gear, and probably an Ace DS1313 servo (use them in my Kyosho 777sp2 & am thoroughly impressed)...I would greatly appreciate any advice...
imagesinvinyl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #316

i have the rooster crawler my serial number begins with a c. but when i turn on everthing the wheels move forward ive set throttle trim to the lowest point and still moves somtimes the truck just starts to bounce from front to back really fast. but no steering problems what could it be?
deuceswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #317
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Thanks
Charlie@teamnovak.cmo
Thanks and let me know what ya find out.

Nate
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #318

Default goat issues

hi , my goat crawler system is glitching and jittering, i have tried five radio systems and it still does it regardless of what dead band setting i am using, the receiver is over the rear axle in an attempt to get it away from the interference but it still does it,!
sent it back to whence it came.

Last edited by offmyaxials; 04-09-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #319
Rock Crawler

Off- Adjusting the timing lower is totally safe. The response of the motor is not the same as the torque. WHen you lowe the timing, you are in a way, lowering the minimum RPM of the motor. Less timing means less RPM. It won't hurt anything at all, and is actually even easier on the ESC.

Hordsak- Sorry, not yet.

Chad- Sorry to hear this for sure. It's likely just a bad ESC. We've encountered a minor issue of "Turning the Servo" damaging the ESC. In crawler applications this is just as dangerous. Be sure never to leave the ESC plugged in when not in use. For if the wheels are turned when the battery is plugged in, voltage generated by the Servo turns the ESC. When the pack is plugged in, and charged, this can mean damage for the ESC. We're not entirely sure this is always the case, but I know it can help to cause damage. Just something to be careful of. We're working on a fix for the ESC to protect from this.

Dueces- Email me the whole Serial number. I'll check it out. I've had a handful of guys with C series numbers still have the jitter problem. It is very likely that I made mistake when I stated that "all" the C series are okay.

Off: re Damage; Well, there is no easy answer, and from the things you've pointed out, sure it looks very bad. What you're not pointing out is that Novak is probably the most popular brand of electronics around so you will hear of more problems. You don't hear from guys that don't have problems, because that's not how it has ever worked. Nobody gets on a forum to say how great their stuff is, because they are out using it. I don't mean to brush this off in anyway, but there are dozens upon dozens of customers that have had "only" good novak experiences. The few that have bad ones, are all very vocal thanks to the internet.

Being in my shoes, I hear quite the opposite when I visit tracks or races. Many times guys have issues sure, they tell me horror stories of multiple Novak problems. Thats one or two guys, but when the shop owners, or the race directors tell me of "many" racers having issues with Brand XXXXX over and over again, makes you wonder.

These types of post aren't really helpful and only fuel the fire. In the future if you have a question like that, you'll get answer you want by emailing it, not posting it on a public forum. Even what I've said now will be twisted and contorted by readers of the post. There's no easy answer accept, No our products are not "bad" by design.

Problems always happen, honda's break down, satalites stop working, and yes, R/C Cars have problems. How the problems are dealt are the main issue.

EMAIL US DIRECTLY. Charlie@teamnovak.com Tech@teamnovak.com steve@teamnovak.com cs@teamnovak.com jackie@teamnovak.com

Filter doesn't like hotmail, so whip up a Yahoo email if you need to, takes all of 3 minutes to do.

Thanks Guys
Charlie@teamnovak.com
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #320
Rock Crawler

Off- Email me a pic of the install, I'll check for the easy stuff.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM