Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #901
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Dlux Berg Build

What a great weekend! I got tons and tons of packs through my car, finally! I am just tickled pink with the way this car is working!

Eddie from Crawlerinnovations sent me a box of foam. Nice guy! I thought there was no way that I would ever be switching out my Rover foams in my Sedonas but since he sent them to me, I had to give them a shot. I ended up running a 5.0/soft and that was ok, what I was really surprised about was how soft it was. I didnt think there was any combo that could come out softer than a Rover foam so I am pleased with having another option to run.

The 5.0/soft was a bit too soft but I would have run it over my Rover foam just for that tiny bit more support that inner adds. I then tried the 5.25/soft and this was night and day more support around the wheel. My problem with a stiff inner is that on a side hill I feel like it makes me pole vault by using leverage on the sidewall. I like the support in the middle and when turning but I have learned that I really like my sidewalls to wash out and almost ride on the rim while turning for stability. I know this is weird and unconventional but it works best for me. Any time I use a stiffer foam in the front it does its "pole vault" symptom and rolls me over. I think this is amplified by the non 8* steering that I use. So in this term of "sidehilling" it makes me side hill worse. If you define "sidehilling" as being able to turn during a side hill, then it does help having a much stiffer inner.

So, using the 5.0 inner and a 5.25 inner I thought they were worlds apart as far as feeling performance. With either one I used, I like to stick with the soft outer for tons of forward bite and less hop. If there were any sort of option that is not available that I would like it would be a closed cell tuning ring so I could adjust from 5.0 to 5.125. I think 5.125 would be pretty close to what I need but, here is what I came up with instead...

I never have liked cutting and tuning foams, I have always wanted off the shelf foams. Since Eddie was so nice to send me some to test, I figured I better test them and make sure I try all the options. Like I said above, I liked the 5.25 inner but I didnt like that it made my sidewall so tall, so I shaved around the edges and made a "V". Now I can have my middle section and support there along with some support for turning all while having my soft outer for the forward bite. I didnt do the center channeling, Eddie did that. I am going to get a couple more that do not have that center part channeled out. Also, they look a lot more narrow because I narrowed them down from a wide version to my narrow version. Overall, I am very, very happy with these modified foams.

The other thing I was not completely satisfied with was the lack of air flow. Ever since moving to the open wheel design I have loved having maximum air flow so I came up the straw version of venting these foams. I used super thin AL tube and punched them through the closed cells. You can drill the closed cell but I dont like the way it changes the closed cell and makes it softer and when you stuff them in the beadlocks it closes the holes off. Doing it this way worked out really good.

Thats all I had for foam tuning so far. I only dealt with the front foams and I will test with some rears ASAP. Its pretty cool to be so set on something and then have somebody change your mind for the better.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #902
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I got my new skins cut and installed. I am liking these much better.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #903
Wanna get? Gotta want.

This car was stomping the yard this weekend! I cant believe the stuff I was driving. I would just go find the most ridiculous line that I thought was not close to being makeable and work it until I got it. To me, this is what the hobby is all about, jaw dropping obstacles and raising the bar.

Here is a vid that I took of a crazy line. Since the camera is just sitting, you dont get to see all the angles but its crazy climb, crazy transition into another crazy transition into a crazy climb. I will call this obstacle "twin sticks only". I would love to see a pistol radio make it!

Here is the angle meter on the obstacle. You can see the building in the back ground too so you know its legit. About an 87* climb!

The Vid

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/eri...?state=replace
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #904
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Last thing I have is another video. This is a crazy climb too (sorry no angle meter). I first found this climb when 801 had a comp out here. I set this climb up for supers and I have a bunch of cry babies tell me that I was a jerk because it was an impossible climb (for supers!). Stubs came out for BOTW and he was the first I saw do the climb with his super. After he showed me, I could do it with my super too. Today, I was able to do it with my 2.2. I took 5000 attempts before I got it but knew I had to get it on video or I would not be believed.

I also decided I needed to step up my video taking skills so I added some audio to this vid. Its nature sounds, called "wind @ 24mph". I think you will like it.

100_4264_zps51aa9b4d.mp4 Video by erikd_lux | Photobucket
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #905
Rock Crawler

Thats one big beard.

Nice driving too.
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #906
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Last thing I have is another video. This is a crazy climb too (sorry no angle meter). I first found this climb when 801 had a comp out here. I set this climb up for supers and I have a bunch of cry babies tell me that I was a jerk because it was an impossible climb (for supers!). Stubs came out for BOTW and he was the first I saw do the climb with his super. After he showed me, I could do it with my super too. Today, I was able to do it with my 2.2. I took 5000 attempts before I got it but knew I had to get it on video or I would not be believed.

I also decided I needed to step up my video taking skills so I added some audio to this vid. Its nature sounds, called "wind @ 24mph". I think you will like it.

100_4264_zps51aa9b4d.mp4 Video by erikd_lux | Photobucket

Nope, still don't believe it! No way. Was the wind pushing your truck agains the rock?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #907
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Kev View Post
Thats one big beard.

Nice driving too.
Thanks Kevin! The beard is getting pretty disgusting and offensive so thats how I know its pretty close to its prime. I think I will cut it off as soon as women stop wearing sweat pants and "pink". Its my own form of protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Nope, still don't believe it! No way. Was the wind pushing your truck agains the rock?
The wind may have been pushing it a bit today but I made it yesterday too with no wind. I have done it about 5 times now but I could not get it on video without a 20min long vid.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #908
Wanna get? Gotta want.

One more thing I forgot to add...

I took a pretty serious roll down a cliff. I ended up breaking the AL screw and my cross brace in half. The links are still the same shape. The links will be staying on my car and I am going to try rears.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #909
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
To me, this is what the hobby is all about, jaw dropping obstacles and raising the bar.
This is exactly why I don't run with any of the locals and their whole scale g6 things. Scalers are fun in their own ways, but my passion is vested into what these comp crawlers are capable of.

You are doing a great job pushing the limits mang
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #910

Wow! My little junker would drive up to the bottom of those climbs and look up and "Some day, when I grow up..."
Nice driving and nice building! Any Utah comps coming up where I cold see that thing in action?
Shaunkjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #911
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
This is exactly why I don't run with any of the locals and their whole scale g6 things. Scalers are fun in their own ways, but my passion is vested into what these comp crawlers are capable of.

You are doing a great job pushing the limits mang
Exactly my view on them I was telling Oz Bruiser that the other day when we were talking about scalers vs comp crawlers...

That looks like it's performing great Erik! You should make a 1 piece skid now Should be quite as easy to break as the one you had...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #912
RCC Addict

All I can say is "SICK"!!!!! Excellent work man
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #913
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One more thing I forgot to add...

I took a pretty serious roll down a cliff. I ended up breaking the AL screw and my cross brace in half. The links are still the same shape. The links will be staying on my car and I am going to try rears.

Going to try the rears what?

Cool video. Holy crap I didn't think it was you driving at first because of the beard.

I guess those are pretty decent climbs... for out west Those are 2.2S gates out here.

OK not really. Nice job!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #914
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Kevin! The beard is getting pretty disgusting and offensive so thats how I know its pretty close to its prime. I think I will cut it off as soon as women stop wearing sweat pants and "pink". Its my own form of protest.

Fight the power!

Also: that line was retarded! Def need the full control of sticks on something like that
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #915
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunkjar View Post
Wow! My little junker would drive up to the bottom of those climbs and look up and "Some day, when I grow up..."
Nice driving and nice building! Any Utah comps coming up where I cold see that thing in action?
Yeah, you should come out to our comps for sure. No need to be a top tier driver, just come out to have fun. You could even bring a shafty and compete with that if you wanted.

Check out Eight01RCC/rcd • Index page for more info. Our next comp is on the 20th and is just past Tooele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
You should make a 1 piece skid now Should be quite as easy to break as the one you had...
I wouldnt go so far to call this one easy to break but yeah, I have had a skid that I have wanted to make for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Going to try the rears what?
Sorry, rear aluminum links.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #916
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sometimes, its just not possible to get "too much of a good thing".

Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #917
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sometimes, its just not possible to get "too much of a good thing".

HOLY CHIT!!!!!

Wanna hang out ????
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #918
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post

HOLY CHIT!!!!!

Wanna hang out ????
Sure. Black rock tomorrow? Lil Moab?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #919
TSK
Shelf queen

Good to know all the money we've been sending you has been properly invested.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #920
Rock Crawler

Looks like u won't have to cut any coms for at least a couple months. With as much time u put on ur car. Great purchase man.
CrAwLeR13 is offline   Reply With Quote