Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #1581
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux Berg Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Putting in the CI foam raised the tire from 5.6" to 5.7". Travis,.. you must have really filled those tires with foam to get them to 6"!

On the left, you can see how it changed the profile from the one on the right and if you look at the angle of the axle tube, you can see how much more clearance it gave from the foam supporting the weight of the car. This really makes me even happier with these tires as long as they still perform well.

Well, I measure them with no load on em, took em out of the package and set them down on my build mat. Outside tread to outside tread they are 5.99, close enough for me to call em 6". I also look at it like if there was a
5 3/4" gap, these would have a better chance spanning said gap as opposed to a 5 1/2" tire.

Pic is deceiving, according to the ruler, they're smaller, according to the lines on the mat, they're bigger.

Last edited by travis c.; 10-23-2015 at 08:06 AM.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #1582
Pebble Pounder

These tires looks good to me,especially the kind of tread!
I think the diameter depends on personal preference. A year ago i built some skinny rovers with 1.9er rovers (Laalaa-style) to the maximum of diameter.The clearance under the axle was good,but i donīt like these tires in sidehilling sections.They overbalanced too early.But this depends on the crawler and knuckleweights. I drove it with 7oz per side but wasnīt satisfied yet
Snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #1583
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
So who's going to start selling narrowed versions of these tires now? Two years ago there would have been 3 new vendors already doing it.
You have to wait for them to become a trend... then they will start.

Seriously though, I hate, hate making tires and these were stupid easy. If I had more time I would offer to make them.

Quote:
Putting in the CI foam raised the tire from 5.6" to 5.7".
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOKI-81 View Post
yeah,, you can clearly see that the side with the narrowed tire filled with CI goodies is maby 5mm higher than the fluffy tire,, and 5-6mm is alot in this world..
GREAT WORK!!
.1" = close to 2.5mm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Well, I measure them with no load on em, took em out of the package and set them down on my build mat. Outside tread to outside tread they are 5.99, close enough for me to call em 6". I also look at it like if there was a
5 3/4" gap, these would have a better chance spanning said gap as opposed to a 5 1/2" tire.

Pic is deceiving, according to the ruler, they're smaller, according to the lines on the mat, they're bigger.
I wish mine were that tall. I just need to see if its worth a stiffer foam in my situation. Maybe narrowing them made them shorter too?

I measured mine the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch View Post
These tires looks good to me,especially the kind of tread!
I think the diameter depends on personal preference. A year ago i built some skinny rovers with 1.9er rovers (Laalaa-style) to the maximum of diameter.The clearance under the axle was good,but i donīt like these tires in sidehilling sections.They overbalanced too early.But this depends on the crawler and knuckleweights. I drove it with 7oz per side but wasnīt satisfied yet
Its hard for me to explain my thoughts on a bigger tire but, it would go something like...

No matter what, a bigger tire is going to bring your COG up, thats no doubt.

I think the catch is that some cars can tolerate a higher COG than others. For example, a stock AX10 would be severely hurt by a bigger tire, a highly modified AX10 would be hurt pretty badly but not as bad as a stock AX10, an old school Berg would be hurt but not as badly as a highly modified AX10, a highly modified Berg will be hurt but not as badly as an old school Berg. This can go on, if you get my point.

My thinking is the more your car is tuned and modified to get all the advantages of the modifications, the more it will accept a bigger tire.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #1584
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Due to Harvo's harassment, I took some more measurements because I was curious.

My Sedonas that I ran came out to 5.25". Thats almost 3/4" smaller!

[IMG][/IMG]

And a picture with a Sedona on one side, Rupture on the other. I put a level in this time so its easier to see.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #1585
Quarry Creeper

E,i have been running these tires for some time now,i went with a 6.0 medium foam and the results really shocked me as to what i thought was going to happen. Another thing i did that reeeaaallly suprised me was i took the tires and wheels and chucked them up in a drill and peeeeeled out forward and reverse until i had about 20% tread left,the results were a night and day difference in forward bight,reminded me of a 1.1 bfg krawler. Im curious to see the cold weather performance of these.....
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #1586
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I bet that when you narrowed em it made em smaller.
What width wheel you running em on?
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #1587
Quarry Creeper

Hay erik i tried running my steering arm backwards like yours. The steering servo seems to stall under load pretty quick. i run a hitec 7950 with 7.4 volts. and i'm running the servo steering arm in a hole i've drilled right next to the main hole on the d/lux knuckles, so i get more steering throw. Thinking maybe try running hitec 7980.
luxenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #1588
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Its a tricky setup to make work.

Do you have a servo programmer? If so, make it so the servo throws 180*. Then you can move the drag link back out to the original hole on the knuckles and get some steering power back.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #1589
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROOKIE View Post
E,i have been running these tires for some time now,i went with a 6.0 medium foam and the results really shocked me as to what i thought was going to happen. Another thing i did that reeeaaallly suprised me was i took the tires and wheels and chucked them up in a drill and peeeeeled out forward and reverse until i had about 20% tread left,the results were a night and day difference in forward bight,reminded me of a 1.1 bfg krawler. Im curious to see the cold weather performance of these.....
Man, I will wait to hear what you think about wearing them down to 20%! Its actually one of my biggest concerns with these tires that they will not last long enough. Wear seems to be significant.

I am 100% on board with the 1:1 krawler comparison. That is exactly what I thought when I saw them too. These tires feather like a 1:1 tire and I have not truely seen a RC tire do this. Sedonas and Rovers come close but not the same.

I think these may be THE winter tire to run. Either these or a Gold VooDoo.

I tried to show the feathering of the tire a couple of posts ago. I will post the photo again so maybe some can understand what I was saying better. I will also show a close up. If you look at the leading and trailing edges of the lugs and sidewalls, its easy to see how they are wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Yeah, I bet that when you narrowed em it made em smaller.
What width wheel you running em on?
My wheels are just under an inch (.875") from inside bead to inside bead.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 10-26-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #1590
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have been having some serious electrical issues ever since the finals at Worlds. I cant stand it when my car does not run perfectly so, I replaced every bearing in the car, re-greased everything, EddieO rebuilt my motors, got some new batteries, replaced my servo and I threw some Holmes BR minis in. If you cant find a problem, may as well just shotgun and replace it all huh? LOL. Everything was pretty worn and due for a replacement anyhow.

I took the car out to a VERY well known area where I know the rock really well and the obstacles even better. My car performed better than it ever has by a long shot. The caveat is that the weather was perfect and this rock can literally go from killing it to not being able to make the same obstacle in 10 minutes. I have driven here when the traction has been fantastic and I have never been able to do all the obstacles with pure ease like I did last weekend. The rock is typically a looser rock where you need some wheel spin to get you up obstacles. Last weekend, the tires would grab so hard that it would actually bind my car up. I think some of this is the larger diameter tire as my servo had a harder time too but there was some serious grip.

Not only was traction great, there was a noticeable increase in ground clearance, belly clearance and ability to roll back over. I did all my craziest side hills and it may be a hair more un stable but I was still able to do them and IMO, well worth the trade offs.

Even though these are a lugged tire, I was really surprised that it acted a lot like a pin tire. I found the more I slowed it down, the more it worked. Pretty weird.

At this point, I am going to say that these are the best tires I have ever run on the front of my car. I hope the compound holds up when it comes summer again! The compound in different temperatures are my first concern and wear is still a huge concern. Since they are wearing so quickly, I am going to wear them some more and then when they are nice and worn, I will move them to the rear to see how I like them there. It will be great to have a tall lugged tire, if they work well.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #1591
RCC Addict

Quote:
At this point, I am going to say that these are the best tires I have ever run on the front of my car.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #1592
Quarry Creeper

E i will send you some vids tonight im on my way to folsom lake and test well im going to open my fence and walk down to the rocks .lol. i took them down to about 5% alost bald in spots , 1.1 comparison is spot on , i ran 150 gates in the past 3 days and i will say its hands down the best tire, i have a hunch that this second time wearing them down on the drill is going to be epic . I will say run them on the rear to it plants the front harder than the pins did, soft foams dont work well with these tires , i have run the same climb about 30 times with different foams and tire wear,they keep getting better. Im going to say that the bald ones are going to be the best tire i have had in my hands.....
Old 10-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #1593
Quarry Creeper

The tire feathering after my first time out is what made me think about the 1.1 krawlers, thats why i took them down to 5%
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #1594
Quarry Creeper

E, chuck them up peel them out front and rear, also lay them on the edge give them a quick buzz, hands down at 5% - bald best rc crawler tire ever. I think i can say that with confidence as i run 300- 500 gates a week. The forward bite is not even apples to apples when there worn,with a medium foam on a 1inch wheel they hold the line perfect, what i noticed on the tire is that its super predictable, not a practice tire but a 5 course comp tire...
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #1595
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, now that you said it, I think the foam is really important. I was thinking that I just didnt know the rock in the other spots and thats why I was so impressed but now I am wondering if the foam woke them up a bit? Youre making me want to throw the medium outers in to see. I like a softer foam though..... LOL.

Not that I dont beleive you on the reduced tread but I am holding off on that one. If I turn my tires around I will be to that point before I know it and I want to experience them through out the tread. Pending weather, I think I will be there before I want to be anyhow.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #1596
Quarry Creeper

Lol. Yeah they go fast, mine are done for now, going to peel out the new ones to 20% and leave them for a comp ,then run a new set, try that sype i was suggesting you will be amazed, and definitely med outers front and rear, i tried the same climb over and over and the only difference was foam, they made the climb both foams just the medium was more predictable less hop and less wheel speed was needed. The medium really helped with sidehill . Its crazy how they work like a 1.1 krawler , when aired way down (soft foam) they work but not as good as if they were aired up to 10-12 lbs (med foam) and the feathering makes me scratch my head, definitely tire of choice ,super excited about cold weather performance, let me know if you want me to send you a set at 20% with sipes to try....
Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #1597
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Its a tricky setup to make work.

Do you have a servo programmer? If so, make it so the servo throws 180*. Then you can move the drag link back out to the original hole on the knuckles and get some steering power back.
I've herd of them but never seen one. What one should I get and where to get it.

Steve
Old 10-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #1598
Quarry Creeper

Is this the one to get Dlux Hitec HFP-25 Digital Servo Field Programmer & Tester
TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HFP-25 Digital Servo Field Programmer & Tester
Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #1599
Wanna get? Gotta want.

This is the one I have:

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HPP-21 Plus Digital Servo Programmer

This one is cheaper and should work just the same:

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HPP-21 Digital Servo Programmer
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #1600
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
At this point, I am going to say that these are the best tires I have ever run on the front of my car. I hope the compound holds up when it comes summer again! The compound in different temperatures are my first concern and wear is still a huge concern. Since they are wearing so quickly, I am going to wear them some more and then when they are nice and worn, I will move them to the rear to see how I like them there. It will be great to have a tall lugged tire, if they work well.
For you to say that the ruptures are the best tires, speaks very highly of the tire! I'm tuning into your advice and opinions!

The chewing of the rubber reminds me of the R35 Axial compound, just softer. My Treps and Ripsaws did the same thing on my go fast bashers.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote