Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: RcBros Weight Watcher Program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
RcBros Hobbies

Default Re: RcBros Weight Watcher Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Looks very very nice and that steering is incredible! You did a great job on the bejeweling and it looks cool to ... So what do you use to bend your Ti thinks?
The previous links that were Ti I simply tape them together, set in a vise and give them hell till I get the bend I want. I'm by no means an expert, the ti links I made weren't pretty, I tried to get 3 bends going in opposite directions on the uppers and it turned out less then ideal, but did work.

The new links are 3/16" solid 7075 rod. I drilled out the revo ends to 10-32 and use a die and thread the rod to 10-32 to. Got give SDS props for giving me the info.

Same method for these as far as bending, just alot easier. Only downside to making your own links with basic hand tools is precision. I just spent 2.5 hours going back through my links ensuring they match and the rod ends were threaded on evenly just to get each side symmetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Those cases are puurty Looking great man, this is a very promising rig you have here.
Thank you. This is probably the longest build/re-build I've ever done. I have so much to do still and have way to more hours then I'd like to admit. I can honestly say though, i've never spent this much attention to detail in my own rig. Hopefully the hard work pays off.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
William does your wife know that you stole her vjazzling kit for your Rc?
She's alittle mad, but I left her cowrc mat there, so hopefully she doesn't notice
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Try to Bend it

Great work Will. Not sure if you have seen it and its probably too late now but check out Yoshi's XR10 thread for a very clever way to bend links. I don't want to spoil it so you will have to go look.

Last edited by Highlucks; 10-07-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Great work Will. Not sure if you have seen it and its probably too late now but check out Yoshi's XR10 thread for a very clever way to bend links. I don't want to spoil it so you will have to go look.
That's a snazzy idea!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
RCC Addict

This is a great looking build. I saw your comments about spending a lot of time on this. I do the same and wind up wondering if am waisting my life, or am I have a great deal of fun playing with my adult lego's.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

How is the strength of those 3/16 aluminum links? Is it going to hold up, i wanted to try it myself but was worried about bending links in a bind.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
This is a great looking build. I saw your comments about spending a lot of time on this. I do the same and wind up wondering if am waisting my life, or am I have a great deal of fun playing with my adult lego's.
Glad to hear i'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
How is the strength of those 3/16 aluminum links? Is it going to hold up, i wanted to try it myself but was worried about bending links in a bind.
I don't see the strength being an issue as long as one makes proper adjustments to run them. I'm fairly confident in the strength but I would not run them on a heavy rig. I only run them in a light rig.

Secondly they are more of a driver link. I'm not an expert driver but don't tend to get myself into major binds like that good old days Keeping that in mind I cannot throttle out of a bind and to be gentle with the rig will be key.

A light rig can be a more fragile rig, but I feel the benefits on the rocks far outweighs the negatives. Its amazing the benefits I saw and felt when driving a feather weight rig.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Nice work so far Will, I can't wait to see it on the rocks.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #29
Trying to have Fun Again

Hey William this might help you and others. Here is the weight of a stock Berg axle with no mods.

Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
Trying to have Fun Again

I dropped 3 oz with drilled gears, shaved motor mounts,turned down tubes, carbon fiber gear cover and a few other mods.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
Glad to hear i'm not the only one.

I don't see the strength being an issue as long as one makes proper adjustments to run them. I'm fairly confident in the strength but I would not run them on a heavy rig. I only run them in a light rig.

Secondly they are more of a driver link. I'm not an expert driver but don't tend to get myself into major binds like that good old days Keeping that in mind I cannot throttle out of a bind and to be gentle with the rig will be key.

A light rig can be a more fragile rig, but I feel the benefits on the rocks far outweighs the negatives. Its amazing the benefits I saw and felt when driving a feather weight rig.
Cool I have a sub 4lbs xr build I'm doing and wanted to try using aluminum links guess ill try it out also and see how it goes!
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Nice blingy cases. I tried 3/16 7075 and the were too flexible. Recommend against it. You might want to keep an eye on your rear shock angle as it's very flat even at zero articulation. You'll have a lot of undampened articulation back there as the shock essentially rotates around the upper mount point during articulation.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
RcBros Hobbies

Thank u sir, shocks r mounted just for mockup, nothing is really setup where I want it. Shocks need rebuilt and springs swapped out. Just put them on for pictures sake.

Locals have had good luck with the aluminum so I'm taking some chances I guess :s I will for sure keep an eye on them, once cut and bent they feel rather strong, but I'll be carry my ti links just in case.

Last edited by RcBro; 10-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #34
RcBros Hobbies

For those interested in our milled gears weight. I don't have any uncut gears here. I should have measured before and after.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #35
RcBros Hobbies

Got the Krawlfreak wheels assembled.

Got alittle more crazy on the electronics Took all the cases off and gave them 4 baths in conformal coating so they are nice and clean for the new home I removed all the brass tabs from the FXR's along with the on/off switches like most do.

For the receiver I removed the case and also bathed in conformal coating. Then alittle spiral action and some CA with the antennae and its good to go

The only downside I've found with this setup is the plug wires are very fragile and don't like to get moved around alot at the soldering joint on the FXR boards. Anyone got a fix to keep them from fraying LMK.

If you didn't notice, I also got down the plugs and re pinned to a more practical length for my application.

For those wondering, I kept all the items I removed to see what kinda weight I was saving so you can decide if its worth it.

Almost an ounce.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Shinking old style castle BEC

Nice work so far Will.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Shinking old style castle BEC

Nice work so far Will.
Well I thought I was done haha. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Dab of hot glue on the board where the wires are soldered on works like a charm.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
Dab of hot glue on the board where the wires are soldered on works like a charm.
Perfect! Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
RcBros Hobbies

Assuming the LHS has a servo in stock this bad boy will hopefully be done tomorrow. can't wait

RcBros Weight Watcher Program - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weight / axle weight advice JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 6 03-15-2012 03:30 PM
Wheel weight Vs Axle weight. Simon.O. General Crawlers 33 02-15-2010 07:01 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM