Notices

Thread: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #281
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I feel there is a gmaid crawler in my future but probably not the gom unless they turn out to be kick a$$
So far, And in my own opinion... the gom IS kick ass.

I've really enjoyed the build and quality of parts and hardware.

It drawbacks I have seen is lack of room in receiver box, But the yeti had the same problem, and having to take the cage off to work on the trans/electronics. This will be a pain.

I'm not sure it will be a great go fast rig right out of the box, But it is a great crawler with very little upgrades.

I may have gotten a good kit though. Some are having issues with their builds.

And the interior is great. I plan to add more to it as it looks a bit plain. But out of the box, it is probably the coolest interior tray around.

Last edited by Dustinf; 10-25-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Dustinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #282
RCC Addict

Out enjoying mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #283
Quarry Creeper

Looks great.

Anyone take this thing off a jump yet?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #284
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
Anyone take this thing off any Sweet jumps yet?
Corrected
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #285
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Corrected
Thanks for the correction haha..

I know it was such a stupid question and made me sound like a proud slash only basher... But I am really curious with all the weight in the front.

I should know by this weekend, I'm just about finished.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #286
Rock Crawler

I finished the axle assembly last night. One of them has a tight spot in the gear mesh you can feel when spinning it by hand. I had it apart a few times to double-check/inspect everything but it all looks good. It's light enough I don't think it will even be detectable while driving, but its still a bit of a bummer from a quality perspective.

For the record I'm still enjoying the build and excited to see this thing come together. I won't be bothered at all if this is the only issue.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #287
Rock Crawler

Oww... I was jùst wondering what to do for the panel colour. That Orange/white/blue metallic looks really good. I got all those colours laying around. I think I’ll shamelessly copy Your scheme... it’s gorgeous.

On the build: Maybe The EU got the second release with better finish? I have yet to encounter àny flash on the parts. Everything is cast quite crisp. I dìd discover that screwing it together with slightly greased screws helps immensly. I use Tamiya ceramic grease to lube the screws. The hard plastic/nylon material is blister-inducing if using just a hex driver.

I just finished the gearbox and gear-switching stuff.. jeebus.. that gearcase and its tunnel are huge. For the rest, it goes together without a hitch. Clear instructions with every screw and washer in actual size on the pages helps quite a bit, because Gmade likes to use many, many different sizes, éven on the same part.

No tight spots in the gears too. It runs fairly quiet in testing. By the by, I used Tamiya’s ceramic grease instead of that white goo Gmade put in the kit. (It probably is fine, but I’m just a fan of Tami’s grease, and got quite a few tubes of it. )

Only real niggle I have is the pinion.. pot-metal.. I mean, really?? Without locktite You’ll bòund to strip the thread. Luckily I got plenty steel pinions in 32-pitch. Still...

By the by. My kit came with extra aluminium suspension balls and some led-ready lightbuckets. Looks like the lights from the Gmade Jeep. Nice!

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-26-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #288
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Oww... I was jùst wondering what to do for the panel colour. That Orange/white/blue metallic looks really good. I got all those colours laying around. I think I’ll shamelessly copy Your scheme... it’s gorgeous.

On the build: Maybe The EU got the second release with better finish? I have yet to encounter àny flash on the parts. Everything is cast quite crisp. I dìd discover that screwing it together with slightly greased screws helps immensly. I use Tamiya ceramic grease to lube the screws. The hard plastic/nylon material is blister-inducing if using just a hex driver.

I just finished the gearbox and gear-switching stuff.. jeebus.. that gearcase and its tunnel are huge. For the rest, it goes together without a hitch. Clear instructions with every screw and washer in actual size on the pages helps quite a bit, because Gmade likes to use many, many different sizes, éven on the same part.

No tight spots in the gears too. It runs fairly quiet in testing. By the by, I used Tamiya’s ceramic grease instead of that white goo Gmade put in the kit. (It probably is fine, but I’m just a fan of Tami’s grease, and got quite a few tubes of it. )

Only real niggle I have is the pinion.. pot-metal.. I mean, really?? Without locktite You’ll bòund to strip the thread. Luckily I got plenty steel pinions in 32-pitch. Still...

By the by. My kit came with extra aluminium suspension balls and some led-ready lightbuckets. Looks like the lights from the Gmade Jeep. Nice!

You can copy my paint scheme. It was easy to do, especially since they are panels.. no tricky taping.

Colors used
Ps-61 metallic orange
Ps-16 metallic blue
Ps-12 sliver
Ps-5 black
Ps-55 matte clear for interior spray on the outside of the shell.

The metallic and silver doesn't show so well in the photos, But in person it looks really nice.

I agree on the build quality. I had no issues and didn't strip any screws.

I did change the pinion first thing. RR 15t

I have a Skyrc toro 120a and 4100kv sensored motor in it.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #289
Rock Crawler

Thanx for the Tamiya colour numbers. I checked, and I, indeed, got those around.

4100kv sounds exactly right. It’s a KOH buggy after all. It shóuld be able to get to some real speed. For now I use the 21-turn brushed motor that came with my first, rtr, Wraith. Also just 2s. After running-in, I’m thinking LRP sensored K4 8.5t. It’s great in my “crazy speed Wraith”

I dìd run into a slight problem with the build, though. Since I wanted to use the Dig ànd the 2speed, I wanted to use my Carson reflex wheel, because it’s my only set that has a proper 3-way switch for channel 3.. well .. that receiver is a huge 6-ch box. ( and my Spectrum 3-channel , with the tiny yellow box HK receiver, only has a 2-way switch) no way that big Carson box is going to fit into the small-ish receiver bay in the front. Verflixt!, dickes Ei.

However. While building, it became clear that the front of the car is quite roomy, so plopping a receiver somewhere under the front bonnet won’t be a problem. And if push comes to shove, I can always stick it to the passenger seat, camouflage it as some luggage, or something. I’m not going for water tight anyways. And ìf I insist on dumping the car in puddles, there’s always party balloons. Works fine for my hydro’s, should work for the car.

For the rest of it, the build has been an utter joy. Challenging here & there, because many parts can go in the wrong way (say, the shifting forks, or the gears.. and there I was, wondering why I couldn’t close the gearcase without blocking everything from rotating.. ) But ultimately rewarding.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-26-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #290
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Thanx for the Tamiya colour numbers. I checked, and I, indeed, got those around.

4100kv sounds exactly right. It’s a KOH buggy after all. It shóuld be able to get to some real speed. For now I use the 21-turn brushed motor that came with my first, rtr, Wraith. Also just 2s. After running-in, I’m thinking LRP sensored K4 8.5t. It’s great in my “crazy speed Wraith”

I dìd run into a slight problem with the build, though. Since I wanted to use the Dig ànd the 2speed, I wanted to use my Carson reflex wheel, because it’s my only set that has a proper 3-way switch for channel 3.. well .. that receiver is a huge 6-ch box. ( and my Spectrum 3-channel , with the tiny yellow box HK receiver, only has a 2-way switch) no way that big Carson box is going to fit into the small-ish receiver bay in the front. Verflixt!, dickes Ei.

However. While building, it became clear that the front of the car is quite roomy, so plopping a receiver somewhere under the front bonnet won’t be a problem. And if push comes to shove, I can always stick it to the passenger seat, camouflage it as some luggage, or something. I’m not going for water tight anyways. And ìf I insist on dumping the car in puddles, there’s always party balloons. Works fine for my hydro’s, should work for the car.

For the rest of it, the build has been an utter joy. Challenging here & there, because many parts can go in the wrong way (say, the shifting forks, or the gears.. and there I was, wondering why I couldn’t close the gearcase without blocking everything from rotating.. ) But ultimately rewarding.
Having enough room was definitely an issue for me as well.

I ended up taking my 6 channel receiver out of its case and shrink tubing it. It's well protected in the gom's box anyway.

There is tons of extra room on the skid, But running wires is kind of tricky on this thing, so using that area isn't ideal.

4100kv on 2s should go about 18mph in second gear with a 15t pinion. If I did my math right.

That seems just right too me. This thing is geared really low, so it's going to be hard to get a ton of speed using 2s.

I may need to replace some driveline parts. But planned for that anyway. Junfac driveshafts are normally a no brainer mod.. especially for $30.

Last edited by Dustinf; 10-26-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #291
Quarry Creeper

Also, I know Harley mentioned the cage being flimsy where the sway bar mounts.

I don't find it to be flimsy at all. Maybe the panels help keep it rigid. But it is quite stout.

They also give you a spot to mount an extra bar across the cage. Which I really like.

A 104mm link will fit perfectly here. I plan to machine one for it, But I'm sure they can be found online.

Last edited by Dustinf; 10-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 AM   #292
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That sums up most Axials. They need tons of upgrades to make them reliable.
I heartily agree your comment, spent too much money on my Wraith to make it Strong and reliable.

I feel, I really need to find another reliable 2.2 rig for myself for this coming Christmas
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

Finally started my build!

Hopefully I can get this thing done in..... a couple of months... LOL
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 AM   #294
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Finally started my build!

I literally just finished... 4am here.

It took longer than I expected, But I went slow and didn't do too much at a time. And painting always takes a good chunk of time.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:44 AM   #295
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

Same here. Between having limited time to build and trying to go slow to enjoy the process, this one is going to take awhile.

In the meantime I'm living vicariously through the pictures and comments of those who have already finished theirs. Keep them coming!

Also, if we can talk power for a second... I've got a Hobbywing 1080 ESC set aside for this, so I'm probably going to stay brushed. I see people talking about the slow speed due to low gearing, so I'm thinking I might go with a Reedy Radon 17T which I've had nice results with in an Axial SMT10 monster truck. Anyone have other suggestions for good brushed motors around $25? The Hobbywing 1080 can handle down to 10T.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
Also, I know Harley mentioned the cage being flimsy where the sway bar mounts.

I don't find it to be flimsy at all. Maybe the panels help keep it rigid. But it is quite stout.

They also give you a spot to mount an extra bar across the cage. Which I really like.

A 104mm link will fit perfectly here. I plan to machine one for it, But I'm sure they can be found online.

Thanks for this tip time to look for some old links lying around
kpsxtyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #297
Quarry Creeper

Well, we had our first run in the dirt.

I am really impressed. This thing runs great. And with the sway bar, handles great too.

Now, once I get the turning radius a bit sharper.. I may deal with unwanted body roll. But right now that wasn't an issue.

4100kv on 2s with a 15t pinion is definitely not too fast and I don't anticipate any breakage on the driveline. It's geared low and and never felt overly powerful.

19mph top speed with turbo and boost set to zero.

It is front heavy, and it does jump that way. But anyone who knows how to handle a rig mid air will find it easy.

I actually liked the challenge of jumping it. It handled like a real truck with real weight to it in the front. I will need to tune my shocks. Heavier oil in the rear should do it. I upgraded my rear shocks to xd piggyback shocks and they give more spring than I would like when landing flat.

So far, I love this truck. I think it's going to be a new favorite of mine for trailing and laps on a track.

Last edited by Dustinf; 10-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #298
Quarry Creeper

Here is it next to my yeti..

I don't have a bomber to compare. But this will give you an idea.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #299
I wanna be Dave

Bummer.... lack of turning radius . That was / is the R1’s biggest fault. I went 4ws, that creates problems if go fast is wanted.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #300
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Bummer.... lack of turning radius . That was / is the R1’s biggest fault. I went 4ws, that creates problems if go fast is wanted.

Hang up and Drive
I'm wonder if the CVD's will help that out. I finished my axles last night, and it looked it was limited by the dogbones.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gmade, gom

Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malin's new Gmade R1 Rock Buggy BentKa G-Made Crawlers 59 09-28-2012 06:30 PM