Notices

Thread: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #481

Default Re: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAnt View Post
I finally got my Gom today, my kit is missing the 40mm transfer output shaft :(
That's a bummer. I'm UK also and got my kit a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed anything missing yet! Though I was pleased to find the aluminium balls and light kit as an added bonus.

I'd get in touch with your supplier I'm sure it can be sorted. Though may be an annoying delay for you.
keirravn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #482

PS - Awesome thread BTW! I've been following it for a while now. Lots of great info
Old 11-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #483
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirravn View Post
That's a bummer. I'm UK also and got my kit a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed anything missing yet! Though I was pleased to find the aluminium balls and light kit as an added bonus.

I'd get in touch with your supplier I'm sure it can be sorted. Though may be an annoying delay for you.
I’ve emailed the shop I got it from and Gmade so just got to wait.
There doesn’t seem to be any spares available in the uk yet.

On the plus side it gives me chance to work out how I’m going to fit the wiring in 🙂
RcAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAnt View Post
I’ve emailed the shop I got it from and Gmade so just got to wait.
There doesn’t seem to be any spares available in the uk yet.

On the plus side it gives me chance to work out how I’m going to fit the wiring in 🙂
I'm not totally sure but I think CML distribution are the UK agents for it so it may be worth contacting them. Although presumably the shop you got it from will steer you right. Hopefully it doesn't take long!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #485
Rock Crawler

Custom tube frame rock buggies are expensive! So expensive in fact, there was no money left in the budget for bodywork. The best we could do was pull the cab off an old tow truck in a junk yard

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #486
Rock Stacker

That looks awesome
Old 11-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
In regards to shifting... this is from TWINSET on TamiyaClub and what he did to resolve it.
I tried this, (O ring and washers on dig shift rod) with a small rubber washer. But found that dig wouldn't engage when testing by hand. I'd recommend everyone hand test at least before getting too far with the build to make removing/adding this mod difficult
Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Custom tube frame rock buggies are expensive! So expensive in fact, there was no money left in the budget for bodywork. The best we could do was pull the cab off an old tow truck in a junk yard

VERY COOL

ko2_wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #489
Quarry Creeper

Still waiting on yeti cva's. I'm hoping to fit the stub shafts to the rim axles. I'll let you guys know.

Though hopefully I am the only one to bend the gmade stub shaft so easily.

I need a break from the gom.. I never did all the scale details and interior overhaul I had planned. But I will get back to it later. It's been kind of frustrating latley.

I've ordered a Losi Baja rey... i figure i can get my speed fix with that and convert my gom to a crawler... it's intended purpose.
Dustinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #490
I wanna be Dave

I just put up a video of my brothers Gom and my Wraith Crawling at the beach.

Gom and Wraith at the beach

https://youtu.be/w2UabGyrVho

The Gom snapped the tip off of one of the lexan winglets after it rolled down the rock.
The Gom also started to have issues staying in gear, it was popping out on hills and just freewheeling back down. We're guessing its an issue with the shifter endpoints, though playing with the settings wasn't helping us at the time. although maybe its the shift servo, at one of its end points it was overextending and buzzing, so maybe its too weak to hold its position.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-27-2017 at 11:59 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #491
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
Still waiting on yeti cva's. I'm hoping to fit the stub shafts to the rim axles. I'll let you guys know.

Though hopefully I am the only one to bend the gmade stub shaft so easily.

I need a break from the gom.. I never did all the scale details and interior overhaul I had planned. But I will get back to it later. It's been kind of frustrating latley.

I've ordered a Losi Baja rey... i figure i can get my speed fix with that and convert my gom to a crawler... it's intended purpose.
You know... I should just check. I have the yeti 94mm ones sitting here since I got the 92mm replacements from Axial.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #492
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
Good plan, I've been very happy with my Baja Rey. Trouble-free speed right out of the box, and the handling is SO SCALE. If we're talking about actual driving instead of just tinkering, it's probably my favorite R/C.

I've been thinking about slowing my GOM down as well. An awkward landing off a relatively tame jump stripped the steering servo on my first outdoor run. In my case I may keep the silly 13 turn motor to keep things a little bit interesting and just put the gearing back to stock.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #493
Quarry Creeper

So to my surprise.. junfac got back to me. They are sending a replacement cva set.

They said they might have missed a heat treat on that set. Which I believe is true. It doesn't feel like spring steel at all.

It would still be convenient if the yeti stub shaft fits the gom's axle shaft.

The bomber axle shafts fit perfectly... but the stub shafts don't and the yeti is the other way around.

Still, I'm debating pulling out the 4100kv ares pro and putting in a 27t brushed can. I think that skyrc set up will be much better off in another rig and the gom better off with less power.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #494
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Good plan, I've been very happy with my Baja Rey. Trouble-free speed right out of the box, and the handling is SO SCALE. If we're talking about actual driving instead of just tinkering, it's probably my favorite R/C.

I've been thinking about slowing my GOM down as well. An awkward landing off a relatively tame jump stripped the steering servo on my first outdoor run. In my case I may keep the silly 13 turn motor to keep things a little bit interesting and just put the gearing back to stock.
Thanks for the info.. that's exactly what I wanted to hear after dropping $450 on a new rig.

I always buy kits in twos.. which makes people think I'm crazy.

I would prefer it in a kit form, but I contacted losi and they said they have no plans for that, just the rock Rey kit.. which is an awesome price and tempting.. but not what I wanted.

Looking forward to it.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #495
Pebble Pounder

So here's the parts list .......

G-Made GOM Kit
10.5T 3250KV SKYRC Cheetah 60A Brushless Motor ESC for 1/10 Buggy Combo
Axial Universal Rigid Industries Light Bar Set
Power HD Waterproof 4.8-6.6V Super Torque Digital Servo (Steering)
Traxxas WP2075 Servo (gears/dig)
Assorted Scale Accessories
ESS One+ 2017 Sound Unit

Radio Gear
FS-GTB3 (gonna hack the firmware on my existing one for more channels)
FlySky FS-R6B FS R6B 2.4G 6CH 5V Receiver

I decide to go cheap and cheerful route with the motor/esc combo. I figure the 3250K isn't gonna be too much but it will still have a turn of speed. Lets see shall we

I want to try and make this quite a "scale" build so plan to do a bit of work... It not going to some SBG candidate, I'm not that skilled, but you know, enough
cockpit - some diamond panelling, passenger handles, extinguishers, window nets, maybe even some led behind the dash etc.

Accessories - Ultra 4 style - big high lift, extinguishers, spare, waffle boards, etc.

Lights - I went with the axial kit because of the scale looks - so many other LED based light bars seem too big (is that just me?).

Sound - never been too impressed with the cheap sound units but the ESS One+ 2017 was on offer at Asiatees and cost me under £50 inc. shipping. They are typically about £90-100 here in the UK and having watched few youtube videos of the latest version I thought what the heck this is my Christmas present to my self right.
Anyway thanks for the hints and tips folks. As soon as the build starts I'll do a thread but it won't be every step - I think there's probably enough of them now. I'm sure I'll have questions
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #496
Rock Stacker

I’ve gone for the axial rear U4 light buckets they are almost a perfect fit.

I’d put photos up if I could workout how to do it on my phone 😕
Old 12-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #497
Rock Stacker

Think I’ve worked it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RcAnt; 12-01-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #498
Rock Crawler

While looking through the thread, and reading the many problems people seem to have the mòment they strap-in some serious power geared towards speed, I’m reminded of the problems Axial had with the Wraith ( let alone the Exo)

As with Axial, it seems that Gmade underestimated the wear&tear of speedy rigs, and the abuse people put their rigs through. By now, the Wraith has been so long on the market that it has become clear where the weak spots are, and with some chosen hop-ups, it’s as sturdy as they come.

The GOM is not at that stage by far. It’s a good idea and a beautiful car, but not yet a ‘grown-up.’

The thing is, I had no problems, but that’s mainly because I didn’t put big power in it, and kept it at 2s. For the other users, the hard core bashers, it seems they are used as beta-testers, if that makes any sense. I gather that -along the line- there could be something like a GOM mark II in the works. However, that depends on the sales. If the problems keep coming, this glorious piece of engineering will go the way of many Tamiya’s overly complex solutions for simple problems. ( cr-01...) and end-up leading a petering existence on shop shelves everywhere. Going from sale to sale, without ever being further developed.

That would be such a shame, because the GOM has sone exellent ideas on-board. Ideas who’s execution are, however, somewhat flawed. Gmade needs to learn and grow for a bit to be able to run with the big dogs, and it would be a shame if they left the ‘somewhat fast’ cars market.

Well.. just some musings after reading all posts.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 12-02-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #499
I wanna be Dave

I think we found the issue that was messing with the shift mechanism in my brother's Gom

The beach is fun but says Gom
And this wasn't from "bashing", it was just driving between rocky spots and rolls.

I can see a great need for a 3D printed solution to the shifter channel design.

While we had it apart we put on the front upper link which requires half of the truck to be disassembled unfortunately

But I though of a quick fix to allow easier access in the future, we did take it apart to drill it safely, if you're steady with a drill/dremel you may be able to do this while its still assembled.

Not pretty but it works and the aluminium skid plate covers the hole when its assembled, if you have it.

Here's the front upper link

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #500
Quarry Creeper

So far the only issues I've had were with parts I've added myself.

The Cva's mainly. But junfac admitted it could be a bad batch and sent a new set.

I'm running 4100kv and havnt gone overly easy on it. Everything stock has held up well.

I may just be lucky, but for me the gom seems quite robust.

Tags
gmade, gom

Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malin's new Gmade R1 Rock Buggy BentKa G-Made Crawlers 59 09-28-2012 06:30 PM