Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Radio Shack Mattraxx ..... CRAWLER POSSOBILITIES? MAYBE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #61
RCC Addict

I really wouldn't waste any time or money on these trucks. They cannot compare to a hobby grade truck in any way. I know, I've had 3 or 4 of them. The F350 is the same truck as the Monster Patrol, Carnivore, and the Avalanche.

The motors are weak. I've burned out several of them. The dogbones are EXTREMELY weak. They work fine in stock form, but as soon as you lock the diffs they snap on command. Maybe you could fix this with some aftermarket HD dogbones. But they are geared WAY to high for any real crawling. The motors stall and burn up if you "crawl" with them for too long.

They may seem to have a lot of suspension travel, but I'm guessing you have never seen a hobby grade IFS/IRS truck. Go to the hobby shop and check out a Savage or TMaxx. Those trucks have 4 times the suspension travel as the RS truck does.

I say keep it stock. I wish I would have. Now I have a box of parts. I was going to make a 1:6 scale Humvee out of the parts, but I don't think it will be worth my time and effort. I'd rather use some Savage parts.

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #62

Default Wtf

"BECK" that thing deserves a WTF! Pretty cool contraption though!
culhan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #63

I can tell by your experiance but why did you buy so many? After the first $100 I would have stopped and purchased a Maxx, RC10T, or ect. Hell a Rustler is only around $50 more and thats RTR.

I got mine at a great deal and couldn't pass it up. I use to work at Radio Shack and I would get these incredible deals $1.00 for returned broken merchindise. To some people, why bother, right? This one was by luck and most of the time its user error. This unit wasn't working but when I brought it home it worked fine. The customer must have beendoing the one thing you should never do, playing in water. Well they got water in the electronics and it shorted out. To my surprize it only needed to be dried out.
Aantoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aantoin
I got mine at a great deal and couldn't pass it up. I use to work at Radio Shack and I would get these incredible deals .

lol....same here. A few had cracked bodies, and the others were discontinued and missing the remotes, sitting in the back room for months.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #65

LOL what a small world, I do have a question for you though. Do the wheels for the other RS toys mount the same way? I am looking for bigger tires. This truck has good torque but I am not sure if I want to make it into a crawler or into a racer anymore. Toys a Toys and I like my toys to go fast.
Aantoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #66

[QUOTE=AdamF]I really wouldn't waste any time or money on these trucks. They cannot compare to a hobby grade truck in any way. I know, I've had 3 or 4 of them. The F350 is the same truck as the Monster Patrol, Carnivore, and the Avalanche.

The motors are weak. I've burned out several of them. The dogbones are EXTREMELY weak. They work fine in stock form, but as soon as you lock the diffs they snap on command. Maybe you could fix this with some aftermarket HD dogbones. But they are geared WAY to high for any real crawling. The motors stall and burn up if you "crawl" with them for too long.

They may seem to have a lot of suspension travel, but I'm guessing you have never seen a hobby grade IFS/IRS truck. Go to the hobby shop and check out a Savage or TMaxx. Those trucks have 4 times the suspension travel as the RS truck does.

Like I said on my first post, I'm a newbe at this, being that the RS mattrax is my very first 4WD RC model (ok, toy ). I can tell from your list of rides that you've been doing this for a while.
I disagree with your assesment that the RS mattracks trucks are a waste of time. First of all I got two of them at a fraction of their retail costs. second, it certainly offers so much more than the majority of low priced RC trucks out there with no 4WD and non-independent suspension. and third, my "trekker" can handle my rockgarden and the big sandstone rock piles on the back of the hill behind our house with no problems. That's all I expect of these RS chassis trucks, so I'm a very happy camper. Anyway I don't have the money to to spend to get into the more "serious" levels of RC crawling. The batteries alone are expensive enough for me as it is.
Well, more fun to come later this season when I get to start building up "Trekker 2"!
Thanks for the buildup tips!

Beck
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Adam you still have that box of crap? I might be more interested now because my rig stopped working right and I still want something to screw around with in the mud and snow.

Aantoin: I know my Monster patrol and Ricochet (was that even a RS car?) have the same hex size and the wheels are interchangable. Monster patrol wheels work with clod-sized tires, I have Clod Pullers on mine. And a Mag Mayhem to turn them.
bobbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #68
Pebble Pounder

is this post dead? if not i to might br interested in some of those parts i have owned the raminator ans my friend had a monster patrol and another buddy of mine had the f-150 and now i just got my h2 running again. i too have broken many dog bones as soon as i locked my rear end on my raminator and i hate the tracks and i do belive that the raminator and monster patrol were geared diffently then the hummer but im not sure
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #69

Default Unser's new Pike's Peak climber? Almost done!

Here's my latest Project made form an RS vehicle I got for cheap!

Before:

After:

It's really torquey and climbs up real steep inclines. It fast too! Spring rates are a little too stiff for full articulation, but just right for flat road high speed cornering.
Whaddya guys think?!

Last edited by Beck; 07-23-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

You bought that from radioshack?
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #71

Yes, Radioshack. it started life as their blue Yamaha ATV racer as seen on the smaller pic. I should have mounted the big racer figure they had with it to show you the whole original package
Got it for half clearance price at around 60 bucks.
Took all the ATV stuff off and added tubes and junk I had lying around. The Recaro seat the figure sits on was actually a cell phone holder that mounts in car interiors that I bought in SF Japan Town the upper brush bars are clearance items from a hobby shop bought at a couple of dollars The aluminum tube frame parts and clamps are all hardware items. The dual "HID" LED light pods on top of the vehicles were bicycle shop purchases. The 1:6 scale figure is a bomb disposal action dolly from a toy shop. The rest of the stuff is just recycled junk drawer items I had that just kinda fell into place. All in all, the new vehicle might still be under the RS's regular price for the ATV to start with.
This is fun! can't wait to do the next bargain RS vehicle mod!

Beck
Old 07-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

i dont know if some one already said this but these mattraxx came out like two or three years ago with a silverado body on it maybe i can find the link to one.

Last edited by murdock; 07-24-2006 at 04:11 PM.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #73