Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Radio Shack Mattraxx ..... CRAWLER POSSOBILITIES? MAYBE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpsterRC
I got some off of ebay for pretty cheap. I think I paid less than $10.00 shipped for 8 bearings. I think they might have been metric, its been 6 months or so.
wow thats much better, do you have any part numbers or manufacturer name?
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Default bearings

Get on ebay and look for walawala store they sell bearings dirt cheap 20- 5 by 11mm for 9.40 i'm sure that he has your size
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #83

Rambuller84 Quote:
So, after 2 $50 "bargains" and now this atv for $60 and all the shiat you stacked on top of them, you could have had a TLT to play with. $160 plus the money you would have saved buying all that tubing and b.s. would have gotten you a TLT, a Traxxas TQ, a moped esc, a mini battery pack and a motor.

Yes, I'll just drive over your slow crawler with both my cheapy trucks and see if you can catch me!
:^P

Last edited by Beck; 07-29-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Does anyone know that the stock electronics in these vehicles will take 9.6 volts? i'm sure they will, but want to make sure before i try it.
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

I bought one of these trucks about 5 months ago and it has been sitting since I took it out of the box. Run time sucks! The servo will not turn the tracks unless they're moving, and the tracks just bounce against any obstacle larger than a garden hose. I have little faith in the ability of the tracks on any other vehicle for the same reason, unless someone can tighten up the entire belt/track assembly and figure out a way to hold the tracks flat on the ground I can't see it working. If you could rig a shock to the track and keep the front edge planted so it won't bounce, and you have a relatively heavy rig you might make some head way. The biggest problem with the tracks is the contact pressure, they say it will climb a 45 degree slope, but it slipped going up my driveway to my garage! The stock truck is disappointing, but like everything else in the right hands it can be amazing...
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I want to see someone cover the belly of there crawler with these tracks. That way you will never get stuck on a tight breakover. The rules just say 4 wheels, they don't say the belly cant be a conveyor belt.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #87

Actually, I have been enjoying my modified RS Mattrax I have with it's regular wheels instead of the tracks. It goes really fast with the regular wheels. But now I'm enjoying my new modified RS Yamaha ATV even more. Just as fast and with more ground clearance and it can climb up 35 degree slopes fast. I can jump it off big curbs and dirt ramps really good. It's more of a high speed off-road racer than rock crawler, but I can crawl it over rocks if I'm delicate with the throttle. It would do better if I could lock the diffs, but it can get past most obstacles I encounter.
I already flipped it doing a high speed turn in the dirt and it survived real well with no damage to it's aluminum roll cage.
Despite some suggestions that it's a waste of money, I still don't agree. The most i spent on each of my RS vehicles (including the cost of the original RS truck and ATV) is about 80 to 90 bucks after my modifications. You can't get this much fun with other brands at that prices! And if they blow up on me, it's no big loss. I'll just wait for the next interesting RC from RS.

Beck
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #88

Default Radio Shack Hummer H2/ Mini Cooper

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5297885/tm.htm

Hi to all in this forum, I am new here and this is my firt post. I was searching through the internet to see if anyone else modded their Radio Shack RC. I have the Hummer H2 with the Mattracks. This is my other post I put up in another forum:

I am new here, so this is my first post. I recently completed my RC project. I converted my Radio Shack Hummer H2 into a Mini Cooper monster truck. This is my first new RC since my Marui Hunter back in the 80's, so I am getting back into it again. I know I could of gotten a Kyosho, or even the re-released Tamiya Frog or Hornet, but I wanted something different and really say that I made it myself from scratch. I bought a Radio Shack Hummer H2 with the Mattracks treads. Within the first month of having it, I took it apart, installing a Trinity Komodo Dragon Pro 19 turn motor with a 10 pinion gear. It was going pretty good for a few days, when I fried the internal circuit. Dilemma, should I go get the orignal and take a chance of frying the circuit board again or should I go get a Futaba 2 channel radio and retro fit the servo for the steering. LOL, I did not even know that there were ESC now, I have been so out of the RC world. I always like challenges, so I took a gamble and went out and bought a Futaba, and a LRP A.I. Runner ESC. While apart I retro-fitted the Futaba servo, lucky it was the same width as the original. I also installed Adjustable Duratrax Oil Filled (DTXC9003) Shocks with Traxxas Springs. I also found a Lexan Mini Cooper body, lucky for me the two holes lined up with the original mounting holes for the Hummer. I had to modify a Traxxis front and rear shock towers as well to accomitdate the new shocks. My project ran well for a week, until the LRP A.I. Runner burned out and melted,, I talked to my local Hobby shop, they were surprised that the LRP ESC burned up like that, oh well, still under warrenty. I just went ahead and bought a better LRP Quantum Reverse 2 Pro thinking it could better handle the gearing and current from the battery... My new ESC works like a charm. I know there are die hard RC people out there that hate Radio Shack, but they have served me well in my youth. Even though they had inferior RC's, their toys introduced me to the world of RC. I have enjoyed creating my own unique RC, took some mid night buring oil, to try and retro fit something that was not suposed to be, but I made it work. Here is a link on YouTube of someone that did a similar mod to his Radio Shack Hummer, the video actually inspired me to mod my Hummer as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOzN8UM5O2E

But here is my own Mini Cooper/ Hummer H2 pics. You will see another Hummer, I bought another one just in case. I also ordered bigger tires from Radio Shack, I knew that the first generation Hummer they ever sold had bigger tires, what was cool, is the one tire and one rim, both togetheir only cost me $3.89, better than the prices at my local RC shop.

Last edited by awdsvx; 01-28-2007 at 08:17 PM.
awdsvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #89
RCC Addict

have these been discontinued by RS? i went to their website, and did a search for them, but notihng showed up...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #90

Default Hummer H2 Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
have these been discontinued by RS? i went to their website, and did a search for them, but notihng showed up...

I think you are right, the Hummer is discontinued. Maybe they will come out with some other vehicle that uses the same frame, I bought a 2nd one just in case my first one that I modded did not work at a discounted rate of $50.00 with the Mattracks. I was told it was 2005 toy that Radio Shack was trying to get rid of from their shelves. I have been doing some research and I know there were 3 variations of this Hummer H2.

The 1st. Generation had bigger tires with 4 Wheel Drive with 4 Wheel Steering with bigger tires. I know cause my Boss has one, and that is how I got the product number off the transmitter to see the product number so I could call Radio Shack to see if they still have the bigger tires in stock.

The 2nd. Generation is like mine you see from my link with smaller tires, but I know that the receiver in the Hummer not only took a 7.2 battery, but as well as 9 volt. I assume that the 9 volt powered the servo. I wish they kept that so the 7.2 battery would only power the motor, not both the engine and servo for longer run times. There is a cover to hide where 9 Volt is suposed to be. I seen one on Ebay before, when the Hummer was on RS's web site, they hinted that the 9 volt was required for the receiver.

The 3rd. Generation is the one that I have, you can see my link. The 7.2 battery powers both the motor and steering servo. Sucks, less run time cause the 7.2 is doing double duty. My Hummer also comes with the Mattracks which the 2nd. Generation did not have that option.

Too bad, Radio Shack could of not combined all 3 features when they intially came out with the Hummer or some other varient with 4 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Steering, the 9 volt battery to power the servo and on top of that the Mattracks tracks. Oh well, can not have everything.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #91

Arrgh! Single mom not totally blonde wants to figure out how to attach the Mattrax to the RS RC Hummer...seem to be missing instructions and perhaps an adapter type kit...my 11 year old does not remember if the crawlers (the triangle wheel thingies right?) came with additional pieces that have since vanished....
Have some mechanical knowledge from molding bullets and restoring Model As with Dad but am in the weeds on this one....
Thanks in advance for supporting the RC mod challenged!
JamHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #92
RCC Addict

They should bolt right up like the tires do, to the hex.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #93

Okay great! I was afeared to pop off the plastic hub caps to find the hex shaped do-hicky but I is five by five now. Thanks for the tip.
JamHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #94

Default 2007 Radio Shach Hummer H2

FYI,

This fall before Christmas 2007, Radio Shack Brought back the Hummer again. New bigger tires, along with the Mattracks. The Body is not now black instead of yellow. And there are wqorking lights on the roof bars. And chrome side steps now. I thought if anyone is interested.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #95