Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #241
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboShadow View Post
Looks WAY overpriced to me. $349 for a KIT?!? For a 1/10 4wd? Sure it looks cool, but other then that I dont see what the big deal is. I doubt its going to perform any better then say a slash 4x4, which is the same price AND RTR with a brushless system!
Totally agree. I know Turbo took some heat for this statement but I think he nailed it.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #242
THW
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRockStar199xX View Post
2wd is not faster than 4wd at all, I know this because I drag race my bruteforce, 4wd gives it the traction it needs, however 4wd doesn't handle as good. So if I had to gess it is all wheel drive a perfect balance between traction and handling. Axial knows there stuff or they wouldn't do so well and excell in this hobby. I'm down for one and I'll put a vxl in it probably or get a rtr if its released by Christmas . Imo this is aimed for a Baja type rig which I personally think is a more scale cheaper version of the Baja 5b. We need more info.

Drag racing is about being quick not fast, there is a difference. And the statement is more of a question about why this car at this price point when there are cheaper alternatives in a similar class. I dont see this as a basher, it looks like a high speed desert buggy or a dunebuggy, but the 4wd will make it a bit easier to handle and control, except in the dunes, where 2wd is preferred. I am not saying its gonna be a junk car, but for this money you can buy and upgrade other cars and still have change in your pocket. That said, I will take one in black.

Last edited by THW; 11-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #243
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
but for right now, I am confused at which market this is aimed at.
A new one!

What happend after the Slash came out? There was no SC market then, but every major Rc Co has a SC truck of some sort now. Just my 2 cents
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #244
Rock Crawler

Some details from AMainHobbies:
  • Adjustable Motor Mount: The patent pending adjustable motor mount included with the EXO features a two piece design that allows you to easily set your gear mesh with an adjustment screw providing the ability to achieve a perfect fit. A set screw is used to securely lock the two piece motor mount in position. The two piece mount is also keyed for proper alignment and strength.
  • Standard 32 Pitch Gears: The EXO utilizes standard 32 pitch pinion and spur gears to provide more tooth surface area for durability and efficiency to put its power to the ground!
  • Three Oil-Filled Gear Differentials: Three, silicone oil-filled differentials transfer power to all four wheels and because they’re oil-filled they can be fine tuned with silicone fluid. Each differential features four sintered gears housed in compact differential cases. This also allows the EXO to use compact and streamlined bulkheads for reduced weight, meaning less spinning mass for higher performance.
  • Durable Driveline Components: The stub axles are held in place by two bearings, an outer small bearing, and a large inner bearing. The larger inner bearing increases durability and stability. The steering pins are titanium nitride coated for less wear and durability. The axle is mated to a standard 12mm cast aluminum hex hub.
  • Quick Release Battery Mount: The patent pending quick release battery mount is easily adjustable to fit any battery pack. The flexible rubber straps are connected to a hinge on one end and the other contains a pin that keys into a composite plastic latch that keeps your battery securely in place. There’s also an integrated “lift assist” mechanism which puts the battery in the best position for removal. The lower plastic end plates are adjustable which allow you to fit any battery pack, and in most cases, two batteries will fit standing on edge. The motor position is centered lengthwise and battery is positioned towards the center for balance and stability.
  • Integrated Light Bar: Brighten up your night time driving session! The integrated light bar holds up to five LED lights and features clear plastic lenses and three styles of mesh covers - plain, Axial and officially licensed PIAA covers! (LED lights not included)
  • Protective Skid Plate Bumpers: The front and rear bumpers are hinged which allow them to flex upon impact, protecting the EXO from crash damage. Aluminum skid plate inserts add an extra level of protection and feature an embossed surface for added style.
  • Rear Tail Lights: The built-in rear diffuser/wing has embedded rear marker light buckets for up to four LED tail lights (LED lights not included).
  • 2.2/3.0 Raceline Renegade Wheels: Raceline is by far the most popular wheel for extreme duty off-roading. Their ability to stand up to the abuse demanded by the full-size racer and their show quality finish is second to none. The officially licensed Raceline Renegade gives the EXO that authentic racing look as well as providing the strength to handle whatever you can dish out!
  • Hankook Dynapro MT Tires: The EXO features realistic, officially licensed Hankook Dynapro MT tires that perform as good as they look. The front tires are narrow (34mm) which help the EXO navigate the terrain while the rear tires are wide (41mm) putting the power to the ground with enough traction to keep the EXO firmly planted. Internal ribbing helps reinforce the sidewall to prevent it from folding over which keeps the tires working at peak performance.
  • Adjustable Suspension: Threaded shock bodies, multiple shock positions and adjustments for toe, kickup (rear), camber, roll center and ackermann allow you to fine tune your suspension for high performance.
  • High Quality Components: Axial has chosen a variety of parts that keep the EXO durable and performing at a high level. These include steel turnbuckles, steel dogbones, steel outdrives, captured stainless steel hinge pins, full ball bearings, titanium nitride coated shock shafts and steering pins and a sintered steel pinion gear.
  • Tuned Shock Springs: Finding the right spring rate can be tough. Axial made it easy for you by including what they found to be the right balance of high speed and harsh terrain handling. The spring rate they have chosen keeps the EXO on course and ready for your next obstacle!
  • High Quality Steering System: The EXO Utilizes Steel steering posts, an aluminum steering rack, and aluminum servo saver retaining system with captured bearings to keep you pointed in the right direction. The entire steering system also leans back 10 degrees to match the front kickup which eliminates all bumpsteer.
  • Wire Routing: The chassis has plastic routing clips throughout which helps keep your receiver and servo wires snug and away from moving parts which could shred the wires.
  • Waterproof Receiver Box: The waterproof receiver box keeps your radio gear protected from the elements and with integrated wire management, it keeps the receiver leads organized and away from moving parts.
  • Patent Pending ESC Clip: Axial includes three ESC mounting plates. Securely clip in your Castle SV2, or Novak Havoc SC ESC's with Axials patent pending ESC mounts. Running something different? Then use the included universal servo mount plate and standard servo tape.
  • Realistic Scale Details: The EXO features a variety of fully licensed, realistic features including a V8 Turnkey engine, a Fuel Safe fuel cell and an interior body set with four Corbeau race seats.
  • Robust Molded Roll Cage Design: The cage closely resembles what you’d find on 1:1 vehicles making this a strong and proven tough design that keeps the EXO well protected.
  • 4mm Aluminum Chassis: The 4mm center chassis is made from 6061 aluminum for durability and features recessed pockets to lower the center of gravity.
  • Ground Clearance: The chassis tub is tapered to give you an extra 1/2” of ground clearance.
  • Double Shear Shock Mount: The captured double shear shock mount features an aluminum plate that keys into the molded cage for added strength.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #245
Rock Stacker

a 2wd will give you some nice wheelies...I likes wheelies
hairumuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #246
Rock Crawler

Here's the link.
Axial EXO 1/10th Electric 4WD Terra Buggy Kit [AXI90015] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the link and info! Looks like this will be a 4WD version of the Losi XXX-SCB. Kinda wish it were 2WD so it would have more competition and more of a chance of a racing class.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #248
Rock Crawler

Racing is one of the things I'm concerned about with this new buggy. How and will this fit into established SC racing? Time will tell I guess.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #249
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks for the link and info! Looks like this will be a 4WD version of the Losi XXX-SCB. Kinda wish it were 2WD so it would have more competition and more of a chance of a racing class.
Based on what was posted from a-main it looks like it has a center diff so to make it 2wd someone would need to make a center locker for it. Then just remove the front driveline components and you could have some competition with the xxx-scb.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #250
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Drag racing is about being quick not fast, there is a difference. And the statement is more of a question about why this car at this price point when there are cheaper alternatives in a similar class. I dont see this as a basher, it looks like a high speed desert buggy or a dunebuggy, but the 4wd will make it a bit easier to handle and control, except in the dunes, where 2wd is preferred. I am not saying its gonna be a junk car, but for this money you can buy and upgrade other cars and still have change in your pocket. That said, I will take one in black.
Ok, I agree with you some what the part I do not agree totally about is the drag racing now I'm not the kinda person who thinks they know it all and your right it is about quickness on the take off but you still have to have the speed to win, reasoning I was beat on the take off by a yfz450 but due to the gain of traction from the 4wd I was able to gain up and win. I ain't trying to sound cocky or rude but I like the rig so far and just figured id put my .02 in. Why is 2wd perfed on dunes over 4wd wouldn't that keep it from wanting to dig i to the sand? , I've never drove nothing on sand
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #251
THW
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ok, I agree with you some what the part I do not agree totally about is the drag racing now I'm not the kinda person who thinks they know it all and your right it is about quickness on the take off but you still have to have the speed to win, reasoning I was beat on the take off by a yfz450 but due to the gain of traction from the 4wd I was able to gain up and win. I ain't trying to sound cocky or rude but I like the rig so far and just figured id put my .02 in. Why is 2wd perfed on dunes over 4wd wouldn't that keep it from wanting to dig i to the sand? , I've never drove nothing on sand
Drag racing is measured in time elapsed from point A to point B with the quickest elapsed time, factoring in reaction time. You dont need to be fast, think of a Civic running a 10 second quarter at 110 mph and smoking a Corvette that runs 140mph but runs 11 seconds through the quarter, a quicker car will beat a faster car almost every time in a timed race. Sand cars and dune buggies are usually 2wd because of weight and simplicity. The lighter a buggy, the better and with the 2wd, the drivetrain is usually in thje rear so its all adding traction to the rear wheels, which are usually paddles on buggies. Steering is done with very simple, lightweight components and smooth tires with ribs. 4wd workd on the dunes, but weight means they need more power and more weight leads to problems. I like the rig too, just the price point is high and what is this rig designed for? It looks a bit too "Fragile(for lack of a better term) to be a hardcore basher and too heavy and complicated for a dune buggy, but a new market, like desert truggy or similar would be cool, but no word on what they were designing. I think it would be a great trail rig and fun given enough area and terrain.

Last edited by THW; 11-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #252
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairumuffin View Post
a 2wd will give you some nice wheelies...I likes wheelies
I can get nice wheelies from my 4wd's.....
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #253
Quarry Creeper

Default cool

I like it but seams a little pricy when you add a motor and speed control .but it looks like it could be fun.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #254
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I'm probably gonna catch hell for this...but, why is this 4 wheel drive? Its obviously based on a sand car(see the LS series engine in the rear...) or a truggy made for pre-running in the desert. Neither of these need to be 4wd, it add weight and makes it more complicated and makes it more expensive. I can see it as a basher, and it has potential, I would like to get one and dump my Slash and Stampede, but for right now, I am confused at which market this is aimed at.
2wd is only good for those racing fags with groomed clay tracks.
My Slash trophy truck is undriveable on hard pack dirt roads, all it does is spin out.

For the real world of running on dirt roads and sand dunes, 4wd will make the car much easier to drive. Have you ever taken a 1/10 2wd rc car to the dunes? You don't get around so well.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #255
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Drag racing is measured in time elapsed from point A to point B with the quickest elapsed time, factoring in reaction time. You dont need to be fast, think of a Civic running a 10 second quarter at 110 mph and smoking a Corvette that runs 140mph but runs 11 seconds through the quarter, a quicker car will beat a faster car almost every time in a timed race. Sand cars and dune buggies are usually 2wd because of weight and simplicity. The lighter a buggy, the better and with the 2wd, the drivetrain is usually in thje rear so its all adding traction to the rear wheels, which are usually paddles on buggies. Steering is done with very simple, lightweight components and smooth tires with ribs. 4wd workd on the dunes, but weight means they need more power and more weight leads to problems. I like the rig too, just the price point is high and what is this rig designed for? It looks a bit too "Fragile(for lack of a better term) to be a hardcore basher and too heavy and complicated for a dune buggy, but a new market, like desert truggy or similar would be cool, but no word on what they were designing. I think it would be a great trail rig and fun given enough area and terrain.
OK i see what your getting at. I'm bout like you on the price I hope it comes down bout 75$. As for what the rig is desiend for I'm not to sure but im thinking waterprook elctronics and, longer shocks, and 2.2 boggers for some mud racing and bashing but I dout thats what they had in mind Oh yea thanks for the sand dune info I'm more of a atv person and stay on trails, hills, rocks , and mud so sand is a whole nother feild for me.
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #256
20K Club

Quote:
....so sand is a whole nother feild for me.
Right along with spelling I guess.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #257
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Right along with spelling I guess.

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #258
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
My Slash trophy truck is undriveable on hard pack dirt roads, all it does is spin out.

For the real world of running on dirt roads and sand dunes, 4wd will make the car much easier to drive. Have you ever taken a 1/10 2wd rc car to the dunes? You don't get around so well.
I've got a HPI Blitz with a 4600Kv castle motor and its hard to keep the front on the ground. I still wouldn't like the paddles in the front of the EXO, looks kinda weird.
jdacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #259
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

Ive built a few tube frame sand rails that have been 2wd and they perform flawlessly.They have been Slash based or Rustler (for lcg reasons).Im really diggin this new ride.I dont care that its a kit and price will be of no concern to me.I MUST HAVE ONE.
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #260
R.I.P. Chip

John and I just published another article, this time we have some info you have all been waiting for, thats to our Undercover Brother.

RCC Exclusive Axial EXO AX90015

Last edited by badger; 11-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax90015, axial, axial exo terra buggy, exo, hankook tires, icon vehicle dynamics, sema, semashow, terra buggy, turnkey engine supply

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/344488-something-new-axial-axial-exo-terra-buggy-ax90015.html
Posted By For Type Date
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 5 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-04-2012 01:12 PM
- Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy Kit - offroad-CULT This thread Refback 01-04-2012 07:02 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 2 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 09:54 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 10 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 01:14 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 9 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-29-2011 09:58 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 6 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-27-2011 01:26 AM
60 amp esc & 3300kv This thread Refback 11-11-2011 10:30 AM
Winnipeg Beach This thread Refback 11-10-2011 10:28 PM
New Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-08-2011 11:00 AM
Rock Crawlers & Scalers This thread Refback 11-07-2011 05:38 AM
Wieder was "Neues" von Axial ? - Seite 8 - Fahrzeuge - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 11-06-2011 12:43 PM
independent front rear - "New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-03-2011 04:24 AM
The new Axial EXO Terra Buggy AX90015 This thread Pingback 11-01-2011 11:01 PM
Crawl ANZ • View topic - Axial Exo This thread Refback 11-01-2011 08:35 PM
the Crawl Pit • View topic - What are Axial up to?? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 04:06 PM
UTRCRC - View topic - New rig from axial BAD A$$ This thread Refback 11-01-2011 02:30 PM
RC4x4.CZ - Fórum - Zobrazit téma - Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:49 PM
- New Axial, New class? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:26 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:25 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 11:42 AM
New axial truck... - WARCRC This thread Refback 10-31-2011 02:31 PM
GCRad1's 1992 ADV-FJ80 LAND CRUISER - Page 3 This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:56 PM