Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #601
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

Harley any idea why that particular lipo caught fire? Daytime heat from the concrete?

I've burned up motors and ESCs that way on hot days but never a lipo...

Scary. I keep all my lipos in one box too...
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #602
Rock Crawler

Yea the rig is smoking, yea it's on fire.......seriously no one tried to knock off the panel and try to shake the battery out? I would have at least kicked it over and tried to get the battery free and outside of the rig. I saw at least one stick with a camera on one end. Use the handle side to hit that thing out of there. Sorry for your loss Harley,
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #603
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Yea the rig is smoking, yea it's on fire.......seriously no one tried to knock off the panel and try to shake the battery out? I would have at least kicked it over and tried to get the battery free and outside of the rig. I saw at least one stick with a camera on one end. Use the handle side to hit that thing out of there. Sorry for your loss Harley,
As I understand it, the Exo Terra has a body panel thats clipped on to the side, knocking it off would have been a bit difficult. Plus with the full interior in, that battery is buried pretty deep.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #604
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG74683 View Post
As I understand it, the Exo Terra has a body panel thats clipped on to the side, knocking it off would have been a bit difficult. Plus with the full interior in, that battery is buried pretty deep.
Well, if you look at it long enough it might put itself out. My point was it's better to try to save it and have it burn to the ground rather than do nothing. One of the two choices will always end the same.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #605
Rock Crawler

Look what FedEx dropped off today from RPP hobby.

LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #606
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Well, if you look at it long enough it might put itself out. My point was it's better to try to save it and have it burn to the ground rather than do nothing. One of the two choices will always end the same.
A $600 toy truck is a lot cheaper than paying for a friend who gets burned trying to mess with it. If you haven't dealt with an EXO first hand then you won't understand how impossible it is to do anything you are suggesting.

Lipos can explode and that could throw shit on you or others. No reason to be dumb and start trying to mess with something like that.

It sucks BAD but I would feel worse if anyone got burned.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #607
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
A $600 toy truck is a lot cheaper than paying for a friend who gets burned trying to mess with it. If you haven't dealt with an EXO first hand then you won't understand how impossible it is to do anything you are suggesting.

Lipos can explode and that could throw shit on you or others. No reason to be dumb and start trying to mess with something like that.

I hear you and I'm just playing around with what I see. I wasnt there and i dont claim it would have been saved. And your right safety is first. I have not seen an Exo up close long enough to mess with the battery. Just sad to see it go up in flames like that without a fight. Personally I would make a few attempts to save half a grand. But glad everyone was ok and we have a video to BS about.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #608
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Forgot to mention the explosion factor

Any clue as to what caused the fire? As soon as I get my first "big boy job" (graduated college in December), my first gift to myself will be the Exo Terra. Just wanting to make sure I dont end up with melted goo for a buggy too!
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #609
Pebble Pounder

Question Re: Something new from Axial, the Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015

It was a fun build! But I am a bit scarred vs the durability of the thing. Time will tell.

Here is some pictures of my roller :

More feedback after the electronics is installed...
EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #610
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

smart and good man
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #611
Come and take them!®

Hey Harley, sorrry about your "crash and burn". Didn't know till last night when I saw the vid. I think I PM'ed you to start a EXO forum about the same time. Great time to remind everyone about the dangers of Lipo's! Be smart, be safe, and have fun. I take a small extinguisher when going to run stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunter711; 02-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #612
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter711 View Post
Hey Harley, sorrry about your "crash and burn". Didn't know till last night when I saw the vid. I think I PM'ed you to start a EXO forum about the same time. Great time to remind everyone about the dangers of Lipo's! Be smart, be safe, and have fun. I take small extinguisher when going to run stuff.
What type of extinguisher are you using?
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #613
I wanna be Dave

You guys that put $10 batteries in a $1500 rig are just crazy!!!!!

Especially if it's a rig like an Exo that the battery cannot simply be ripped out of. Step up and spend some cash on a couple of high quality packs versus several of hobbyking's or similar.
Ask DanW about lipo fires. He has experience with ripping them from burning rigs!!!

The best thing to take out when RC'ing is one or two small buckets of sand. Just dump it on the rig and the fire is done. I tried this after an RC'ing Ranger talked to me about the method while crawling in the santa cruz mtns. That weekend, I punctured a 3S hobbyking pack and let it start up the fireworks. Then dumped 1 gallon of sand directly on it. Fire stopped, damage controlled. Somebody should do a video since there are so many cheap, crappy packs out there.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #614
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
You guys that put $10 batteries in a $1500 rig are just crazy!!!!!

Especially if it's a rig like an Exo that the battery cannot simply be ripped out of. Step up and spend some cash on a couple of high quality packs versus several of hobbyking's or similar.
Ask DanW about lipo fires. He has experience with ripping them from burning rigs!!!

The best thing to take out when RC'ing is one or two small buckets of sand. Just dump it on the rig and the fire is done. I tried this after an RC'ing Ranger talked to me about the method while crawling in the santa cruz mtns. That weekend, I punctured a 3S hobbyking pack and let it start up the fireworks. Then dumped 1 gallon of sand directly on it. Fire stopped, damage controlled. Somebody should do a video since there are so many cheap, crappy packs out there.
Unfortunately, many high dollar packs suffer similar fates. I suspect many are as poorly made as the cheaper ones, but merely charge more because of the name applied to them. I've had too many friends spend big bucks on batteries only to have problems with them that I just won't do it. But I do make an effort to properly maintain and care for my stuff.....my friends do, as well, but it didn't help them.

Sorry about your rig, Josh. That really sucks. But at least no one got hurt.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #615
I wanna be Dave

!!! This is a WARNING !!!

If you are fortunate to have the money to buy and build an Exo in these hard economic times, then for god's sake, buy quality packs!!!

I've had at least 5 cheap packs go bad and have seen two of them go up in fireworks and flames. This was common when people were making up their own brushless conversions and pushing their 1/8 scale brushless buggies and truggies to the limit. Cheap battery means cheap build. It can be so simple that the cheap builder did not put any dowel or insulation in between the contacts on cells. Then one hard impact on rig, and you have contact! The kind you don't want!
I have never seen a Maxamps pack get damaged or go bad, and I have owned many of them. I am also a big fan of anything that Chris at Cheap Battery Packs tests, and recommends. He knows his chit!

So if you can afford a "Super Car", don't put dirty, cheap gas in it!!!
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #616
Rock Crawler

I own several different packs, max amps suck and are over priced. IMO I have had better luck with thunder power.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #617
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
!!! This is a WARNING !!!

If you are fortunate to have the money to buy and build an Exo in these hard economic times, then for god's sake, buy quality packs!!!

I've had at least 5 cheap packs go bad and have seen two of them go up in fireworks and flames. This was common when people were making up their own brushless conversions and pushing their 1/8 scale brushless buggies and truggies to the limit. Cheap battery means cheap build. It can be so simple that the cheap builder did not put any dowel or insulation in between the contacts on cells. Then one hard impact on rig, and you have contact! The kind you don't want!
I have never seen a Maxamps pack get damaged or go bad, and I have owned many of them. I am also a big fan of anything that Chris at Cheap Battery Packs tests, and recommends. He knows his chit!

So if you can afford a "Super Car", don't put dirty, cheap gas in it!!!
Some of us can't afford to drop over $100 per Maxamp lipo packs.

I prefer Venom lipos at $35-$50 per pack I can afford to have multipule packs for all my RC's.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #618
Come and take them!®

Thanks UPS!
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #619
Come and take them!®

Wtf???
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #620
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter711 View Post
Wtf???
WOW.... they even included the lighter fluid and matches....

Tags
ax90015, axial, axial exo terra buggy, exo, hankook tires, icon vehicle dynamics, sema, semashow, terra buggy, turnkey engine supply

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/344488-something-new-axial-axial-exo-terra-buggy-ax90015.html
Posted By For Type Date
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 5 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-04-2012 01:12 PM
- Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy Kit - offroad-CULT This thread Refback 01-04-2012 07:02 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 2 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 09:54 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 10 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 01-02-2012 01:14 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 9 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-29-2011 09:58 AM
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy - Page 6 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-27-2011 01:26 AM
60 amp esc & 3300kv This thread Refback 11-11-2011 10:30 AM
Winnipeg Beach This thread Refback 11-10-2011 10:28 PM
New Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-08-2011 11:00 AM
Rock Crawlers & Scalers This thread Refback 11-07-2011 05:38 AM
Wieder was "Neues" von Axial ? - Seite 8 - Fahrzeuge - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 11-06-2011 12:43 PM
independent front rear - "New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-03-2011 04:24 AM
The new Axial EXO Terra Buggy AX90015 This thread Pingback 11-01-2011 11:01 PM
Crawl ANZ • View topic - Axial Exo This thread Refback 11-01-2011 08:35 PM
the Crawl Pit • View topic - What are Axial up to?? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 04:06 PM
UTRCRC - View topic - New rig from axial BAD A$$ This thread Refback 11-01-2011 02:30 PM
RC4x4.CZ - Fórum - Zobrazit téma - Axial EXO This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:49 PM
- New Axial, New class? This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:26 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 12:25 PM
"New Axial truck...independent front and rear." This thread Refback 11-01-2011 11:42 AM
New axial truck... - WARCRC This thread Refback 10-31-2011 02:31 PM
GCRad1's 1992 ADV-FJ80 LAND CRUISER - Page 3 This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:56 PM