Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial News - Bad News?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Congratudolences Mike, you own not 1 but 2 unicorns. Literally every other person I've known that has owned an r1 got tired of it always being broken and sold it.

I see what the locals have and what they break constantly and take that into account with their driving style to make my judgements on things. When these local guys can't keep rigs alive I know better because I'm harder on things than they even think of.

Enjoy your rigs, we don't have to agree on things.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Sawback, seriously? leaf sprung, incapable turd. Stock for stock durability means nothing to a whole lot of people out there but the scx10.2 is a rather solid rig and if something does break parts are immediately available in stock or aftermarket form.
All I can say that is a joke about the Axial. I recently received a RTR Honcho as a gift. Now the people that bought it didn't know any different. Now I didn't really mind as I like to try as many kits as possible.

After pulling the truck out of the box it was ready for the trash can. Let me explain.

The front axle has the gears lockup after 3/4 rotation going forward. Spin in reverse and it's smooth as possible. The rear axle spins smoothly rotating forward. Spin in reverse and it locks up just like the front. This test was done with the drive shafts removed from the trans.

On to the trans. It was so tight and untrue that there was 3 spots that it would stick at. After some work I was able to free it up somewhat. It works but not perfect.

The tires wobble so bad that it's not even funny to watch. All 4 look like Clark just jumped it off a dead end road.

It was very embarrassing to try to run this gift with everyone watching and not being able to. Try explaining that and have them tell you " well I spent all that money and it doesn't even work ". Then try explaining that we have to spend more to get it right

I have had several kits from different companies over the years. This was by the far the worst. Before you say it is me being a newbie far from it. I have been racing for 15yrs and have the benefit of racing with several pros. If a new person were to get the same experience I did I can see how it would discourage them from the hobby.

In my opinion Axial really needs to pick up their game

I have shown a few on here of my problems and they couldn't believe it either
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Check the Bomber thread where a guy getting into the hobby pulled an RTR out of the box that had a driver's side steering knuckle installed upside down as a passenger side knuckle...

That's embarrassing, frankly.

My Bomber is a heavily upgraded kit, and was never driven anywhere near stock - but my Ascender is the '72 K10 that's only available as an RTR, and it ran perfectly from day one, no tuning needed.

(of course it's upgraded and modded now, but not because I broke anything!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #184
RCC Addict

See, now I got a Blazer RTR and it's been just awesome! After a Vaterra RTR and 2 kits it was time to try the other brand. It's like a weaker version of Ascender - the term 'wet noodle' always comes to mind. LOL

Got SSD links, wheel weights, a better servo, and pitbull tires. It climbs and crawls very well. And no breakage. [shrug]

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
All I can say that is a joke about the Axial. I recently received a RTR Honcho as a gift. Now the people that bought it didn't know any different. Now I didn't really mind as I like to try as many kits as possible.

After pulling the truck out of the box it was ready for the trash can. Let me explain.

The front axle has the gears lockup after 3/4 rotation going forward. Spin in reverse and it's smooth as possible. The rear axle spins smoothly rotating forward. Spin in reverse and it locks up just like the front. This test was done with the drive shafts removed from the trans.

On to the trans. It was so tight and untrue that there was 3 spots that it would stick at. After some work I was able to free it up somewhat. It works but not perfect.

The tires wobble so bad that it's not even funny to watch. All 4 look like Clark just jumped it off a dead end road.

It was very embarrassing to try to run this gift with everyone watching and not being able to. Try explaining that and have them tell you " well I spent all that money and it doesn't even work ". Then try explaining that we have to spend more to get it right

I have had several kits from different companies over the years. This was by the far the worst. Before you say it is me being a newbie far from it. I have been racing for 15yrs and have the benefit of racing with several pros. If a new person were to get the same experience I did I can see how it would discourage them from the hobby.

In my opinion Axial really needs to pick up their game

I have shown a few on here of my problems and they couldn't believe it either

Put the drivelines back on the pinions and the gears will rotate fine in both directions. It has literally nothing to do with there being an issue, it is purely your not understanding how hypoid gear mesh works.

If you tossed a battery in the rig and drove it for a few minutes the trans mesh would smooth out too.

Yes I'm an axial apologist. But I'm also right.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

It's like I said. YMMV. I've got a wide spectrum of brands/platforms. The only one that didn't run out of the box for me was the SMT10. Transmission was blown after one battery pack. (How's that for transmission reliability)

Every brand has there strong/weak points. Address it according to the way you drive and be on your way.

Driving off a cliff or into a wall will break any brand after enough times. Like they say in the real world... maybe we all just need driver mods.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #187
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Put the drivelines back on the pinions and the gears will rotate fine in both directions. It has literally nothing to do with there being an issue, it is purely your not understanding how hypoid gear mesh works.

If you tossed a battery in the rig and drove it for a few minutes the trans mesh would smooth out too.

Sorry to disappoint but tried that also. Rolls about 6" before it locks up and "pops" forward. Now this was also displayed at the LHS and local race track. Everyone was stated there is something wrong

The track owners have been in the RC business easily over 30yrs. They know some names in the RC world (at least one key person on here). When they say I have garbage I trust their judgment.

As for knowledge of gears when you build a gear diff and trans have win the NATIONAL TITLE for indoor carpet off road let's talk because I have

That's all I have to say about that
Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but tried that also. Rolls about 6" before it locks up and "pops" forward. Now this was also displayed at the LHS and local race track. Everyone was stated there is something wrong

The track owners have been in the RC business easily over 30yrs. They know some names in the RC world (at least one key person on here). When they say I have garbage I trust their judgment.

As for knowledge of gears when you build a gear diff and trans have win the NATIONAL TITLE for indoor carpet off road let's talk because I have

No need to be sorry, I have such low expectations that not much surprises me.

Like I said, drive it and it'll solve itself.

Carpet racing you say? Cool, when did they go to hypoid gears? Oh wait...
Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #189
Rock Crawler

Quote:

You claim to have all this knowledge, but still don't know how to shim an axle?
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #190

Quote:

This is getting comical at this point. I'm starting to think you're a paid Axial shill and not just an apologist. Yeah their Chinese gears need to break in because they look like they are cast and finished by a blind 10 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Who said he can't shim an axle? That's your assumption. But why should he have to shim the axle on an RTR? Funny that, instead of attacking the low quality Axial products you guys are attacking him. Freaking fanboyz.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #191
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is getting comical at this point. I'm starting to think you're a paid Axial shill and not just an apologist. Yeah their Chinese gears need to break in because they look like they are cast and finished by a blind 10 year old.

Who said he can't shim an axle? That's your assumption. But why should he have to shim the axle on an RTR? Funny that, instead of attacking the low quality Axial products you guys are attacking him. Freaking fanboyz.

Pretty sure the kids in the axial factory are younger than 10 so they haven't been blinded by mercury poisoning yet.

Take the drivelines off the axles and the pinion gets pulled in and locks up the gears. It's one of the top 3 noobie complaints regarding ar44's. Those that don't understand how helical gears function attack the axle saying something is wrong while it is simply the users lack of knowledge.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #192
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
You know we never thought of doing that

Everyone is missing the big picture here. When a new person opens up their brand new kit and doesn't work the way it was designed there is a level of discouragement. Does the new person know about shims? Probably not. Does the LHS know about this issue. Hell yes they do. Are they going to push a problem product? Hell no. The LHS is going to push what is user friendly.

After shims were added it still if at best
Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #193
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No need to be sorry, I have such low expectations that not much surprises me.

With such low expectations I can see why Axial is such a great fit for you
Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #194

Quote:
Pretty sure the kids in the axial factory are younger than 10 so they haven't been blinded by mercury poisoning yet.

Take the drivelines off the axles and the pinion gets pulled in and locks up the gears. It's one of the top 3 noobie complaints regarding ar44's. Those that don't understand how helical gears function attack the axle saying something is wrong while it is simply the users lack of knowledge.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #195
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
With such low expectations I can see why Axial is such a great fit for you
Their designs are good but the execution can be hit or miss depending on the day. Children lose focus when they get hungry so on hour 7 right before their mid shift rice & broth lunch break things can get dicey.

Hence why I never waste money on rtrs or kits. My 10.2 honcho has a stock body, frame rails, rear crossmember and rear shock towers. My bomber has a stock yet modified cage everything else is aftermarket. I figure most aftermarket companies toss in a piece of bread with the rice & broth so their parts are a bit better.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #196
I wanna be Dave

I got a first release Honcho II. ZERO issues, still running the original dog bones even, with out a single failure. I did some cosmetic stuff, and put smaller tires on it but that's it...

I raced back in the late 90's and remember the turnbuckles would bend if you grazed the wall, and you would gernade a knuckle if you hit another car. talk about thin crappy plastic, but no one complained, they came up with solutions.

Part of the problem on this forum is there are certain ones who don't like Axial, I do not know why, but they take every opportunity to bash and degrade the brand as a whole. If they were really that terrible, they would not exist, like they do today.

Sure you can call me a fanboy. But I own Tamiya, Hpi, Traxxas, and Vaterra. I have several axial scx10's, two II's and three original's, A WK crawler converted to 6x6, two CC01's A Highlift, and a TT01, and two Vaterra Twin Hammers.

Every brand has issues, and every car from the brand has certain problems, but calling them cheap junk doesn't do anyone any good. Sure the quality may not be acceptable in your mind, but others have proven the rigs are just fine.

Come up with solutions for problems, do not create more.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #197
Rock Stacker

This thread is a joke. Someone needs to moderation it from the embarrassing arguing going on.
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #198
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by niro750 View Post
This thread is a joke. Someone needs to moderation it from the embarrassing arguing going on.
You must be new to the internet, lmao...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #199
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Your mom's a joke

whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post

I raced back in the late 90's and remember the turnbuckles would bend if you grazed the wall, and you would gernade a knuckle if you hit another car. talk about thin crappy plastic, but no one complained, they came up with solutions.

Part of the problem on this forum is there are certain ones who don't like Axial, I do not know why, but they take every Come up with solutions for problems, do not create more.

Nobody complained back then because that's all we had! But Technology has advanced greatly since the 90's and most companies have followed suit with better products made from better materials...most.

It's the manufacturer's job to come up with better solutions. When the consumer has to come up with solutions for the manufacturer that's a good sign there's an issue and they messed up.

Take the Ascender as a different example. It's made like a tank with great materials, but the torque twist is bad out of the box. That's a design flaw. Rich talked about that on his Live @ 9:45 segment on Facebook. People found ways to rectify the torque twist because there was an issue with that product. The SCX10 II, on the other hand, has the geometry and gearing down, but it's made from the worst plastics this side of Chinese brand RCs.

I also own RCs from pretty much every brand and I don't hate Axial. I love my Bomber. If only the SXC10 II kit would have been built that well. I even enjoy my SCX10 and SCX10 II, but I'm not a fanboy so I can admit the issues with those trucks.

Seriously, stop for a second and imagine an SCX10 II built with Ascender or TRX-4 quality plastics. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

I will laugh my ass off if Horizon suddenly starts making the SCX10 II from better plastics. That would be Horizon fixing what most people realized is an issue although a few people don't want to admit it. We know from the Ascender that Horizon has great plastics. That's usually not nearly as easy as it sounds though and may never happen unless there's a new truck released. You can't just throw a different plastic formula into existing molds and expect the parts to turn out the same as before. Shrink rates, alone, make that difficult.

Here's to an SCX10 III with awesome performance AND high quality.

Quote:

You must be new here.

Axial News - Bad News? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 02:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 12:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM