Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Axial News - Bad News?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
Where's my hammer!
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 727
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

The Blazer body is all I want lol, I haven't found one brand new take off body on ebay yet!
Natedog and goobs like this.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #22
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 769
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
The Blazer body is all I want lol, I haven't found one brand new take off body on ebay yet!

Uncut bodies next month. Watch or put one on order.

I want another one for my RTR Blazer. Got some RC4WD Rallye Wheels to go with it.
Natedog likes this.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
Where's my hammer!
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 727
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Uncut bodies next month. Watch or put one on order.

I want another one for my RTR Blazer. Got some RC4WD Rallye Wheels to go with it.
Those wheels are SWEET!
Natedog likes this.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 277
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Axial has to of had value. I very much doubt it is the sinking ship you all seem to be making it out to be.

Why would horizon buy it, when they already have losi and Vaterra if it was a sinking ship?

Yes the Axial model is a little tired (and I agree change is needed), but Tamiya has used that model for nearly 40 years and they seem to be doing ok. By that I mean, make a chassis then add heaps of different bodies to it and sell them as different models.

I think that in the future we will see a lot of diverse options from Axial. I am expecting some kind of axial inspired 8th scale crawling machine, maybe a bomber xl? and soon....

I bet if you ask any non crawler RC person to name a brand that makes rock crawlers, they will all say Axial first. This alone makes the brand valuable.

If you also look at crawling products outside of North America, Axial is VERY well supported, much more so than other crawler options.

my 2 cents.
DRTMI, cjhike and Jackalo626 like this.
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #25
Sr. Product Developer
 
Rich Trujillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fontana
Posts: 661
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ramblings on the Book of Faces about changes at Axial? I've read ramblings of the Jeff Johns (President/founder of Axial) walked away. Other rumors, as they always do, indicate worse.

Does anybody have the real story?
Everybody step back from the edge LOL

It was a bummer to hear Jeff was leaving but he has his reasons to do so and I did enjoy working with him for the time i did.

I've seen the same thing happen when Gil Losi Jr. left to work for Kyosho. All i heard was Team Losi racing is done, they brand will die, etc....yet ironically, just today we released 3 new TLR racing buggies...our most advanced yet (I sound like Apple LOL).

I can't speak for the other guys that left when they did but many left even prior to Horizon officially taking over.

That being said I take pride in working for Horizon and take it from someone who was laid off and then asked back (I would not have come back if it was a bad place to work). Tough decisions were made back then and there is a reason why HH was able to buy Hobbico and the brands it had...pretty good management decisions to keep a company healthy.

Sure there are bumps in the road and there will always be changes (again I went through this when HH bought Team Losi), but rest assured, HH did not buy the Hobbico and Axial to bury it, in fact the opposite is true...I know we have some killer stuff in the pipe line


Hope this helps,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 8,766
Default Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I was pretty happy when my new Axial Blazer came in the mail until I noticed the body alignment looked... off. Took off the body and saw this lol. Wow. Brutal materials!

That's just brutal. Picture perfect example of why I've been knocking Axial materials for so long. If that was Redcat people would laugh and tell you to stop buying junk. But we keep buying Axial junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Everybody step back from the edge LOL



It was a bummer to hear Jeff was leaving but he has his reasons to do so and I did enjoy working with him for the time i did.



I've seen the same thing happen when Gil Losi Jr. left to work for Kyosho. All i heard was Team Losi racing is done, they brand will die, etc....yet ironically, just today we released 3 new TLR racing buggies...our most advanced yet (I sound like Apple LOL).



I can't speak for the other guys that left when they did but many left even prior to Horizon officially taking over.



That being said I take pride in working for Horizon and take it from someone who was laid off and then asked back (I would not have come back if it was a bad place to work). Tough decisions were made back then and there is a reason why HH was able to buy Hobbico and the brands it had...pretty good management decisions to keep a company healthy.



Sure there are bumps in the road and there will always be changes (again I went through this when HH bought Team Losi), but rest assured, HH did not buy the Hobbico and Axial to bury it, in fact the opposite is true...I know we have some killer stuff in the pipe line





Hope this helps,

Rich

I hoped you'd respond. After the story unfolded on Facebook I realized it was drama. Some of my RC friends are the most dramatic people I've ever seen. I haven't met them to see if that's their real life personality. I don't understand the drama.

Rich, I know you don't have all of the say, but start filling Axial molds with Vaterra plastic. I know it's not that easy (shrink rates, etc), but Axial needs serious help in the quality department. See the photo from LSXGMC above.

Hopefully all of the new Axial products going forward use the Vaterra plastic formula.

I'm personally done buying Axial products until the quality improves or until you release a new blockbuster. Traxxas and others raised the bar. Time for Axial to catch up again.

Oh and what would it take to get the Rock Rey kit back?
Natedog, smog, soze and 4 others like this.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 12-06-2018 at 05:46 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 78
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Thanks Rich!

I love my Axial rigs, they are my favourite ones!

Every RC breaks, needs upgrades etc - that is the hobby and part of what makes it fun! If I bought a truck and it did not need any changes, upgrades over the years I run it that would get pretty boring.

Just please do not let the torque twist problem of the Vaterra Ascender make it over to the Axial SCX10 line on new releases.
DRTMI likes this.
cjhike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
Sr. Product Developer
 
Rich Trujillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fontana
Posts: 661
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's just brutal. Picture perfect example of why I've been knocking Axial materials for so long. If that was Redcat people would laugh and tell you to stop buying junk. But we keep buying Axial junk.



Rich, I know you don't have all of the say, but start filling Axial molds with Vaterra plastic. I know it's not that easy (shrink rates, etc), but Axial needs serious help in the quality department. See the photo from LSXGMC above.



Oh and what would it take to get the Rock Rey kit back?
Wish i could see the pics here but for some reason our firewall at work blocks images on RCC.

As we progress and Axial brands/factories start coming into our quality expectations all this will improve. Just takes time.

As for the Rock Rey kit...it's gone. Just not enough "kit" builders buying them out there and it just didn't make sense to keep it in the line up.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 3,777
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Am I reading this right? The kit is 900 bucks!!!!!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You forgot servoís, esc, rx. Add another $400.00 to the $899.00.
IF you followed the thread it was about doubling the cost of the rtrs.
Been there and done that, with a boxfull of useless parts that I might get 50 cents on the dollar for. So I saved money easily in the end.
My Wraith has all the upgrades, trust me Iíve easily spent 3 times the original cost, and built another wraith with a few parts ordered.


Hang up and Drive
B-MOW71 and brimdogg like this.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 3,777
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
To each their own. No doubt.

But 900 dollars just for a 1/10 kit? Iím dying.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What axles you running ?
Donít die, itís just a tiny truck


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #31
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 53
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What axles you running ?
Donít die, itís just a tiny truck


Hang up and Drive


Whatever is Stock on an Axial Deadbolt. I spent a whopping 150 bucks on the entire truck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRTMI and mikemcE like this.
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #32
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 53
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You forgot servoís, esc, rx. Add another $400.00 to the $899.00.
IF you followed the thread it was about doubling the cost of the rtrs.
Been there and done that, with a boxfull of useless parts that I might get 50 cents on the dollar for. So I saved money easily in the end.
My Wraith has all the upgrades, trust me Iíve easily spent 3 times the original cost, and built another wraith with a few parts ordered.


Hang up and Drive


Thanks. And Iím aware of How RTRís work. But spending 900 bucks on a kit because it has ďlots of aluminum?Ē Come on man. What can your toy do that mine canít?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRTMI likes this.
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 3,785
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
To each their own. No doubt.

But 900 dollars just for a 1/10 kit? Iím dying.


It is a box full of the finest aftermarket parts out there at a discount due to being sold in one unit. Granted I am not their target buyer since I don't have a use for about 80% of the parts but for those that do it's a bargain.




As for the bent body posts, oh boy that's a tough one. Gotta make sure and snap a pic because we wouldn't want to miss that opportunity!
mikemcE and B-MOW71 like this.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 3,785
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Thanks. And Iím aware of How RTRís work. But spending 900 bucks on a kit because it has ďlots of aluminum?Ē Come on man. What can your toy do that mine canít?


It can be sold after a year of abuse for more than 50% of its value. The bare axles are going for $400 by themselves. The transmission is another $100, bumpers, frame etc all add up to the point the use isn't nearly as detrimental to the value as it is on the basic off the shelf rigs.



The closest rig to a vs410 that I own is my Berg. To buy it as a roller is well over $1500. Some people take certain aspects of the hobby more seriously than others.
B-MOW71 likes this.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #35
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 53
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It can be sold after a year of abuse for more than 50% of its value. The bare axles are going for $400 by themselves. The transmission is another $100, bumpers, frame etc all add up to the point the use isn't nearly as detrimental to the value as it is on the basic off the shelf rigs.







The closest rig to a vs410 that I own is my Berg. To buy it as a roller is well over $1500. Some people take certain aspects of the hobby more seriously than others.

For sure. But outside of resale value, your rig isnít doing anything mine isnít.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 3,785
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
For sure. But outside of resale value, your rig isnít doing anything mine isnít.


I used to say the same thing. Nothing anybody could say would change my mind. Now I realize I was wrong. There are a lot of things people insist on spending a bunch of cash on that I still shake my head at but when its quality it makes sense.
Inspector86 and elRayRay like this.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #37
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
durok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,899
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Thanks. And Iím aware of How RTRís work. But spending 900 bucks on a kit because it has ďlots of aluminum?Ē Come on man. What can your toy do that mine canít?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To simplify the concept here for someone that is taking an odd tone for someone that just joined a forum dedicated to people modifying and upgrading toy trucks...

On the one hand, look at a cheap plastic-handled stainless-steel pocket-knife that cost $25.

Then check out a S30V heat-treated steel pocket-knife with G10 slab handles from well-known maker that costs $75-$100...

3 to 4 times the cost, but with better design, engineering, and using higher-grade materials.

It's going to outperform and outlast the cheaper knife.

Sure, both items will slice open an envelope.

Your $150 Deadbolt is a piss-poor example, as that is not the new price of the RTR vehicle.

It is commonly sold for $300 and is the cheapest Axial RTR vehicle sold.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #38
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 769
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Haha.. none if it makes sense to wifey ver2.0.

Im glad I have a money-tree for my hobby.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #39
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 19,936
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
For sure. But outside of resale value, your rig isn’t doing anything mine isn’t.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are quite wrong there actually . The suspension geometry and plastic links on your deadbolt will reject your rig from a lot of lines the VP rig will walk.

Your rig cannot handle the same level of power or torque either. Your middle gear in the transmission will be the first to give out, then the lower gear, then the transmission outputs, then the lockers and driveshafts, then outer shafts, then you will be flexing the axle housings and start eating up rings and pinions. The VP rig already has these things fixed, and by the time you buy all of that you are actually cheaper to buy the VP rig to begin with.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #40
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 53
Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I used to say the same thing. Nothing anybody could say would change my mind. Now I realize I was wrong. There are a lot of things people insist on spending a bunch of cash on that I still shake my head at but when its quality it makes sense.


Well said. And in the spirit of not derailing this discussion further, I concede. I think 900 bucks on an incomplete truck is nuts but I canít argue others perceived value.

I hope Axial remains solid as Iím enjoying my little 150 dollar toy truck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Axial News - Bad News? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 03:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 03:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 01:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 01:42 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com