Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

Got mine at the LHS today

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #402
Rock Stacker

fed ex dropped mine off at 6:02 pm. 24 hours after it shipped.

i hereby take back the negative comments about fed ex. this time and thank you horizon for the speedy shipping. i believe you had something to do with it showing up so quick. im a old kid with a new toy now.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #403
I wanna be Dave

There is a Ryft in my home... just ask my wife.

There is a Ryft in the space time continuium?

Why are we not calling this a Rbx10?

First observation... The rear shocks are too long, imo.
The front servo guard hits the chassis before the front shocks bottom out.
The spring rate up front needs to be a little softer imo.
Its big! Makes my 1/6th scale(actually 1/ look small...
The cut boggers look fantastic!
The springs are so long on the shocks they rub the bodies, threaded bodies= noise.

There will be more, I am driving it tomorrow!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #404
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I do believe not getting a toy truck in the mail is a first world problem.
That's pretty much the definition of a first world problem.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #405
Rock Crawler

I wonder if the high location on the axle where the upper links on the front sit, and thusly the guard hitting the chassis, in the process transferring that impact-energy to the underside of the axle, is part of the reason some peeps broke the axle where the lower braced bit sits next to the pumpkin. Putting some extra spacers on the shock shaft could, in turn, prevent that.

The Yeah Racing shocks I currently use at the front are shorter, but the internal springs are álso progressive, and they get really, réally stiff when coming close to full compression. I could stìll break the axles, but that hasn’t happened yet. (knock on wood) Disadvantage is that I sacrificed some throw on the shocks. For comparison: front Desert Lizards are 11cm eyelet to eyelet, while the Axial front shocks are 13cm.

On a side note : I lowered the rear -stock- dampers by quite a bit with the leftover 1cm and-a-bit short internal springs that came with the rear 13cm Yeah Racing Desert Lizards, under the piston. They jùst fit in the shock bodies. Hoppaahh.. Instantly lowered stance, while still leaving some throw for the outgoing stroke. ( outer springs still rub, though ) Looks way better imho.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-05-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #406
I wanna be Dave

My day with the Ryft:

5:00 - Arrive home with the truck and unbox

5:10 - Install half charged 3S pack and drive around the yard. Do a couple passes while laughing at how bad the torque twist is.

5:15 - Stop and think this thing is way too fast for its own good. Then proceed to install a 4S pack. Laugh even harder as it either torque twists until the front axle is 90 degrees to the rear or it flips onto its roof every launch.

5:20 - One last launch causes it to twist hard enough to rip a front shock end out.

Out of the box, this thing is so bad at pretty much every aspect of driving but somehow that makes it more fun than a Bomber or Wraith. It is a delightful comedy of failings.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:03 AM   #407
RCC Addict

A friends coworker managed to get his ryft today, so I invited them to come over and run on my backyard crawler course. That thing is huge, but I can totally see the potential to turn it into something more crawler-esque. It's very much what I had in mind when I built up my Wraith as an Foff a few years ago. I think locking the diffs (all 3), gearing it down, and switching to a sensored motor/esc would handle the bulk of it. The cage is beefier than a wraith/bomber/capra/etc, so I'm sure it will stand up well to tumbles. Out of the box, it's definitely a basher, not a crawler, but I didn't expect it to be a crawler. The boggers have a pretty soft compound (easily softer than the old r35) and are bigger than my 6" Jconcepts Ruptures and Duratrax Deepwoods, I might want to pick up a set of these tires for something else. I'm not saying I'm going to rush out and buy one (yet) but I can't wait to see what you guys do with them.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #408
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
My day with the Ryft:

5:00 - Arrive home with the truck and unbox

5:10 - Install half charged 3S pack and drive around the yard. Do a couple passes while laughing at how bad the torque twist is.

5:15 - Stop and think this thing is way too fast for its own good. Then proceed to install a 4S pack. Laugh even harder as it either torque twists until the front axle is 90 degrees to the rear or it flips onto its roof every launch.

5:20 - One last launch causes it to twist hard enough to rip a front shock end out.

Out of the box, this thing is so bad at pretty much every aspect of driving but somehow that makes it more fun than a Bomber or Wraith. It is a delightful comedy of failings.

They’re NOT ‘failings’, they’re ‘idiosyncrasies’

They’re Stuffing an 1100cc Suzuki motor in a Smart, Squeezing a blown 6l v8 in an AMC Pacer. They’re the scary sorta fun that one gets when for the first time ripping open the throttle on a well maintained vintage 500cc two-stroke dirt bike...

So, yeah. WAY too much power. However. Axial could have SO easily fixed the base quirks with a stout swaybar.. but they didn’t. They cheaped-out on the last little detail to make it useful as a basher other than in hill climbs ( which it does with aplomb, mind You..)

If You wanna see hów much torque the 2200kv 550 has, slap in a full 4s 70c pack, do a soft start till about half throttle, thèn mash the throttle.. it’ll stìll almost ends-up on its roof through sheer torque twist. Next try it with AVC off.. It quite certainly will twist, come loose while suddenly sweeping to the right and do a salto. Impressive.. be it a tad unnerving.. Especially when realizing that parts are at the moment as scarce as hen’s teeth , and the parts that áre available ( for us in the EU it’s in super-expensive Brexit Britain) are priced quite crazy. ( at least at Wheelspinmodels)

I dare say that the combi car/power is -besides idiosyncratic- sómewhat ‘ill-conceived’ to put it mildly.

Is it “Fun” ? Oh Yeah Baby!! Though it cán lead to some involuntary bowel movement..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-06-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #409
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
They’re NOT ‘failings’, they’re ‘idiosyncrasies’

They’re Stuffing an 1100cc Suzuki motor in a Smart, Squeezing a blown 6l v8 in an AMC Pacer. They’re the scary sorta fun that one gets when for the first time ripping open the throttle on a well maintained vintage 500cc two-stroke dirt bike...

So, yeah. WAY too much power. However. Axial could have SO easily fixed the base quirks with a stout swaybar.. but they didn’t. They cheaped-out on the last little detail to make it useful as a basher other than in hill climbs ( which it does with aplomb, mind You..)

If You wanna see hów much torque the 2200kv 550 has, slap in a full 4s 70c pack, do a soft start till about half throttle, thèn mash the throttle.. it’ll stìll almost ends-up on its roof through sheer torque twist. Next try it with AVC off.. It quite certainly will twist, come loose while suddenly sweeping to the right and do a salto. Impressive.. be it a tad unnerving..

I dare say that the combi car/power is -besides idiosyncratic- sómewhat ‘ill-conceived’ to put it mildly.

Is it “Fun” ? Oh Yeah Baby!! Though it cán lead to some involuntary bowel movement..
And this is what bouncers are all about!

Big power
Big tires
Big ummm, you know.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #410

I too could be enjoying my new Ryft right now, today. But, I missed the delivery driver yesterday and the tracking says it won't be back out for delivery until Monday... Oh well
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #411
Rock Crawler

I know the feeling bro’, I knów the feeling.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #412
RCC Addict

Fedex dropped the ball and didn't get mine delivered and now the delivery is pending.. lol
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #413
I wanna be Dave

Bummer guys! I managed to get out and run this morning, at my local, ish rock spot....

WHAT A BLAST!

She is exactly what she should be, Insane!

On grass and pavement she is squirrley as all get out. Quite the handful, the tq twist is awesome carrying the front tire as long as you hold the throttle. I was suprised how capable she was in the hardcore rocks too. It is not a crawler, but will go everywhere a smaller trx4's went, just a slightly different driving style.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:03 AM   #414
Quarry Creeper

Am I the only one who thinks this would be an ideal rig to have unlockable diffs? Would be perfect (for me anyway) with a sensored setup and locked diffs for the tight technical areas, and unlocked for the fast sections. I suppose durability would be the issue. I guess some thick fluid would have to do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:13 AM   #415
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this would be an ideal rig to have unlockable diffs? Would be perfect (for me anyway) with a sensored setup and locked diffs for the tight technical areas, and unlocked for the fast sections. I suppose durability would be the issue. I guess some thick fluid would have to do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I wholeheartedly agree!
Old 03-07-2021, 06:19 AM   #416
RCC Addict

I don't think lockable diffs is a bad idea but it's all about how you use it. Me I want to play with weights and find that sweet spot for my area. I've always ran full locked so I'm excited to see if I can get alittle more out of oils. Sway bar is a must have after seeing all the reports, I have torque twist.
Wish the Ryft would have it's own section so we could see everyones journey..
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #417
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
I don't think lockable diffs is a bad idea but it's all about how you use it. Me I want to play with weights and find that sweet spot for my area. I've always ran full locked so I'm excited to see if I can get alittle more out of oils. Sway bar is a must have after seeing all the reports, I have torque twist.
Wish the Ryft would have it's own section so we could see everyones journey..

Just start a thread anywhere, admin will move them all if/when they make a sub forum for it was my understanding. The 2.2 forum is probably most logical place for now I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #418
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Just start a thread anywhere, admin will move them all if/when they make a sub forum for it was my understanding. The 2.2 forum is probably most logical place for now I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I keep looking around but so far only updates are in here.. It's all good as they will come as parts come available.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #419
Pebble Pounder

Any of y'all that have received your Ryft's have any idea what the max battery size that can fit in the vehicle is?

I've been searching the web looking for official battery size specs from Axial but can't find anything. I did find one post that says the user installed a Spektrum 4S 50c batt smart batt with dimensions of 138mm long x 47mm wide x 38mm high. He said that the length and width were spot on, aka no longer or wider batt would fit in the space available. There was no mention of maximum height though.

Looking at specs for many brands of 3S and 4S batts out there, many of them exceed his length and/or width measurements in anything 60C or greater. Seems like 50C and less would work though. However, Spektrum's own 100C rated batts will fit (go figure since Axial and Spektrum are all part of Horizon Hobby now).

How important is the C rating on a vehicle like this? Do you think it'll still perform really well with a Gens Ace 30C or 50C batt versus a Spektrum batt with a 100C rating?

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #420
Rock Crawler

High-C makes it only harder to control I guess. The punch on higher C-values is just more harsh. The motor is alréady overpowered as it is. Not very thirsty, though. So no risk of puffing with 30c. It’s not an áctual 1/8 motor. Just a long can 550.

And 4-s? i would sternly advise against it. Stuff will break with alarming regularity @ 4s. Just.. don’t. Full throttle @ 3s on the straights the tires already go ‘pizza cutter’ way too much. They desperately need belting if one’s trying speed runs. As such, even with double dampers and a smallish swaybar at the rear, the Ryft develops a scary sort of ‘wobble’ at speed on rough terrain, due to the open diffs and lack of a front swaybar. At 3S It dóes hit 60km/h on a roughed-up soccer field, though ( if You can get it to keep straight)

So, I’d say 3s be the max the Ryft can stand without becoming an uncontrollable landmissile and tumbleweed. Without AVC it becomes even worse.
In short: It’s absolutely cràp at speed. Seriously. Straight axles without a humongous swaybar generally áre crap at higher speeds. There’s a reason Double A-arms have become the norm for fast vehicles.

It’s nice Axial slapped such a powerful drive-package in the Ryft, but it would probably have been better if they kept it at a decent 3652 @ 3000kv with different gearing, imho. Like what Horizon did with the Losi desert truck and DB.

But hey. That’s just, like, my opinion, man.. so, go ahead, stuff-in a 4s, but be prepared with a box full of spare axle housings, and probably tires. They seem close to ripping off the wheels @ 3s already.

Oh, and stock-up on bodypins.. for some inscrutable reason it loses its body pins at every endo on grassy terrain..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-07-2021 at 08:36 AM.

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM