Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2021, 12:17 AM   #461
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

I wouldn’t say the rig ‘sucks’. It’s absolutely no crawler, that’s for sure. Not meant to be one. It’s impressively capable, though. But the big drawback is that, while driving, one has the constant feeling it’s going to get away from you, and slam uncontrollably into something. The motor choice doesn’t help at all. With this tall gearing, it needs sensored imho.

EDIT :

After fitting the -quite a bit more sturdy- servo-saver from the Losi LMT, the ‘getting away’ feeling has gone. It steers crisp, reacts promptly on corrections, and even the SVC/AVC works as designed. Though, I don’t use it anymore. Steering is tight enough now. For me it’s no longer necessary.

Well. 13-tooth pinion it is, then. Ah well..

Let’s hope they come with a larger spur, or someone finds a larger spur that fits.
I’m none too fond of having to purchase the ( probably expensive) 2-speed to get a more useful ratio for general bashing, trailing, and whatnot.

My experiences with 2-speeds in general are nót very positive tbh. The GOM being the worst- and the Tamiya 3-speeds, the least troublesome, but far too big as a unit to be useful. The HiLift as well as the Bruiser.
From a technical perspective I lóve multi-speed gearboxes, but they are -more often than not- hardly worth the trouble in my toys.

Some musings:

I dó understand the (marketing) idea behind the power package. With the advent of affordable BL systems, ‘speed’ has become the deciding factor for many that bought an RC on impulse. Heck. Traxxas does not slap the top speeds on the boxes just for Sh..& Giggles. It sells. Big power sells. Nót if that power is at all usable or not. A gazillion China brands sell on speed. ‘Control’ is generally crapola, but that does not matter. Their RTR’s sell like hot-cakes nonetheless.

To us, who are a bit deeper invested in their toys, it’s more about control and durability, than brute force. At least for me it is. It’s just a differend mindset.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-28-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2021, 12:44 AM   #462
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Maybe someone with some engineering computer smarts can extrapolate the possible spur/pinion combinations if the center to center points are known.
53t spur + let’s say a 15t pinion = 68, so any combination of 68 will fit and have the same mesh ie... 56t spur and a 12t pinion
Curb Crawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #463
I wanna be Dave

Wow, reading all of this makes me glad I spent my basher Money on a Losi LMT rather than this "little guy".
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #464
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Wow, reading all of this makes me glad I spent my basher Money on a Losi LMT rather than this "little guy".
Ernie
Even though I have been a bit critical about it, I still like it, and know that it can still be a very capable rig. It's just going to take some time and money. Once we get other gearing options, I really think all my complaints will be resolved.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #465
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ernie
I’ve got both and I’m not disappointed with either, I did get the LMT roller and added my own electrics and body tho

The ryft is getting a electrics swap next week anyway lol
Old 03-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #466

It's advertised as a rock bouncer. It drives exactly like a rock bouncer. My only disappointment is that my front axle (like others) snapped but I have a replacement in the post today under warranty and hopefully tougher. I really like blasting over things with it. Staight lining it or comparing it to crawlers is totally missing the point.
SkidderUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #467
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Watching a Harley Designs live stream the other day, He spoke to the designer and it was said that the trans is locked into high gear, aka there is a low gear set for the trans which is 2 speed capable...

The two speed kit according to my manual is Ax1332005...
Included in the kit, perhaps. Sounds like it should close to market
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #468
Rock Crawler

The 2-speed is, indeed, included in the kit if I may believe the leaked building instructions. As is a swaybar. Allthemore reason to wait for the kit if this car tickled your fancy. Steer clear of the RTR, if possible.

* Rant-mode engaged* : I stìll say the RTR is utterly overpriced. A bit of a cash-grab by Horizon, reeking of the unpleasant interference of a-technical nincompoops in the beancounter-department. “We didn’t include a swaybar, to improve flex” Oh.. puhleaze, f..off. Stop that Marketing-Pr speech (also known as ‘Lying between your teeth to save your bum) Stick that where the sun don’t shine. You wanted to shave-off a few pennies You miserable gits. ‘Who cares if that mentioned 4S is completely, utterly useless without at least a sway. People will hand-over their cash anyhoo’ Yes. It’s a Rock Bouncer, not a straight-line dragster, or a circuit-speeder, or a crawler. but Réal Rockbouncers sport some impressively big and heavy swaybars for a reason, mìght that little detail have escaped You, Axial ( Am I a bad person for wanting to have all marketing-pr people flogged and sent out on the street covered in tar and feathers?) *grmbll*

To be perfectly honest, I would have been fár happier if Axial had gone for a modest 12t 550 brushed -or even a 21t if 3S should remain an option- with a Hobbywing Quickrun 1060, and spent the pennies saved on including a swaybar, and cutting the price by, say, €30.- Okay, It wouldn’t have hit 61km/h on 3s, but that kind of speeds are besides the point for a bouncer anyways.

It’s not real junk, mind You. Far from it. I’ve seen worse from Axial in that respect. Say, the SMT10 RTR, that ate all of its gears on ánything more than a mild 540. Forcing one to spend an extra €50.- on steel gears. Or the Exo, with its ill-conceived motormount. Imho not-fit-for-purpose gears and gearboxes are a bigger sin than a material-mishaps in manufacturing of axles( as it now seems to be)
Though, having said that, I wonder why the designers never figured out that the high upper-links at the front would slam into the battery-box, and as a result put undue strain on the axle’s underside on hard landings and tumbles. Which are, as rock-bouncers go, inevitable.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-20-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Felt a rant bubbling-up.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #469
Pebble Pounder

Just got one today, ran it with a 3200 3s in a sandy canal. Had a blast, made me want to build another foff rig. Got home and blew it off and have a fracture in the front axle housing. Can't believe this thing is as weak as everyone has been saying. Do I need to call the shop I got it from to warranty a new housing.? I've built 20+ kits over the past 15 years but never felt that a first day breakage wasn't my fault.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:16 AM   #470
Rock Crawler

Horizon are issuing axles cases as warranty replacements without fuss
Old 03-24-2021, 02:17 AM   #471
Rock Crawler

I’ve put reinforcement tubes in my axles

Old 03-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #472
Pebble Pounder

Got off the phone with Horizon customer service and should have upgraded plastics axle housings fr./rear this week. Great customer service, just stayed on hold then had them call me later, super easy.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #473

I have been thinking with the hype around the Ryft that in the next year or two we should see them put out a small rock bouncer/racer, similar to the SCX24.
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #474
Rock Crawler

Is that here a Ryft post ??? sooooo booooring!!

What I actually would love to see from AXIAL is a historical AX10 comeback with modern parts .
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #475
Rock Crawler

1/24 bouncer would be fun. I already spotted someone that 3d printed a bouncer cage/chassis for the scx24

Ah, mountain-man. How nice of you to specially drop by to tell us you don’t like it when other people like stuff you don’t like....
Old 03-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #476
Pebble Pounder

For the moderators, can we get a ryft sub-forum? With the 2 speed gears out for pre-order and reading the dx3 manual, setting up the shift servo could be problematic. One would think that the included radio would run a shift servo. Seems like the stx3 included in the capra is easier to setup and only 45$ separately.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #477
Rock Crawler

You mean the radio that’s with the Ryft RTR?

My advice would be to ditch that hunk ‘a junk and get anyother 3-channel radio. The included spektrum is too complex for its own good and rather iffy on the bind/link part. Any other Spektrum 3-channel seems to work fine with the RX.

In desperation, after constantly getting unlinked/unbound, I fitted an Absima 6-channnel radio. ( looks like the usual rebadged Chng-Woo-Wong-Pong radio, but seems solid and at the least works reliably, contrary to the Spektrum garbage)

Oh, and on a RBX10/Ryft specific Sub-forum, seconded!

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-28-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #478
I wanna be Dave

I’m pretty much fed up with Horizon at the moment.

Countless releases with issues that require the end user to fix. I’m tired of being Horizon Hobbies Beta Test Department.

Not enough R&D, under engineered designs , subpar materials, and an overall stick it to the customer attitude.

The Capra transmission has an admitted design flaw. Did Horizon fix it? Nope.

The SCX10.3 transmission and its clicking issue and worthless 2 speed gearing. Did Horizon address it? Nope

The Lasernut rear diff flexes and came with not only poor quality bearings, but it was specked with to small of a bearing from the factory. Horizon fix it? Nope.

The LMT has an axle breaking issue. To my knowledge, Horizon hasn’t corrected the issue.

Same problem with the RYFT. Under engineered design and sub par quality.

These “1/10” rigs keep getting bigger, but Horizon keeps equipping them w/ tiny shocks, bearings, axles, etc...

Not to mention the garbage Tx/Rx some of the Horizon releases now include. The rest of the electronics arn’t much better.

I shouldn’t have to spend $500.00+ dollars on a new release and they another $5 hundred dollars to address the short comings Horizon sent it out the door with.

I wanted a basher. Instead of buying a Arrma(already learned that lesson), I bought a generation or 2 older 1/8 buggy. It’s tough as nails. It’s affordable, and it was engineered with larger components that can take the abuse.

I’m worried now as Horizon bought Pro Line. Tires prices immediately went up, how long until the quality goes down?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #479
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
You mean the radio that’s with the Ryft RTR?

My advice would be to ditch that hunk ‘a junk and get anyother 3-channel radio. The included spektrum is too complex for its own good and rather iffy on the bind/link part. Any other Spektrum 3-channel seems to work fine with the RX.

In desperation, after constantly getting unlinked/unbound, I fitted an Absima 6-channnel radio. ( looks like the usual rebadged Chng-Woo-Wong-Pong radio, but seems solid and at the least works reliably, contrary to the Spektrum garbage)

Oh, and on a RBX10/Ryft specific Sub-forum, seconded!
Yeah the rtr dx3 third channel has a 2 pos, momentary and 5 pos. latching. I haven't had any binding issues. I actually prefer a hw/ hk gt2b with the included lipo w/ USB charging, for most of my rigs. Crawlers don't need a fancy radio.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #480
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I’m pretty much fed up with Horizon at the moment.

Countless releases with issues that require the end user to fix. I’m tired of being Horizon Hobbies Beta Test Department.

Not enough R&D, under engineered designs , subpar materials, and an overall stick it to the customer attitude.

The Capra transmission has an admitted design flaw. Did Horizon fix it? Nope.

The SCX10.3 transmission and its clicking issue and worthless 2 speed gearing. Did Horizon address it? Nope

The Lasernut rear diff flexes and came with not only poor quality bearings, but it was specked with to small of a bearing from the factory. Horizon fix it? Nope.

The LMT has an axle breaking issue. To my knowledge, Horizon hasn’t corrected the issue.

Same problem with the RYFT. Under engineered design and sub par quality.

These “1/10” rigs keep getting bigger, but Horizon keeps equipping them w/ tiny shocks, bearings, axles, etc...

Not to mention the garbage Tx/Rx some of the Horizon releases now include. The rest of the electronics arn’t much better.

I shouldn’t have to spend $500.00+ dollars on a new release and they another $5 hundred dollars to address the short comings Horizon sent it out the door with.

I wanted a basher. Instead of buying a Arrma(already learned that lesson), I bought a generation or 2 older 1/8 buggy. It’s tough as nails. It’s affordable, and it was engineered with larger components that can take the abuse.

I’m worried now as Horizon bought Pro Line. Tires prices immediately went up, how long until the quality goes down?
Yep. Agree 100%. Thank you for saying this. I'm always baffled by all the people who keep making excuses for axial/horizon. Most of their stuff is garbage as far as I'm concerned. Traxxas, SSD & even Redcat will continue to get my money. It's funny how design flaws & inferior materials are happily accepted from axial/horizon, yet other companies are automatically dismissed as junk.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM