Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: UTRCRC Considering a Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #21
RCC Addict

i dont think it would be wize since we already have tons of people and this would make comps an all day event kind of think not just 2-4 hours....

Last edited by Kranberry; 08-21-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
Old guy

To me 90% of the fun is make it better.But I have competed in spec clasees before in other r/c sports, and it is fun.Then it's how can drive.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I agree ditch the Supers.

I like to encourage people to build there rigs and modify them. I think going out to a comp and seeing all the different rigs is half the fun. It wouldn't be cool to see a bunch of AX10's that all look the same and had no personal touches. It would make crawling like electric off road, everyone running the same car. Sure it comes down to driver but I like the fact that the "top dogs" in crawling aren't just "drivers" they are builders too. Not only that, but it will be harder to talk people into buying hop ups. "I just run spec class". why would they want to go any further. If you show up to a comp and you get beat it makes you want to build a better rig (if that is were you thought you fell short) but if you show up and win with a stock AX10 why would you want to buy any hop ups or tweek your rig or make a new one. If you drive good enough to win with a AX10 then that is cool.

Not to mention you are trying to make comps run faster and a new class would take that much longer to get through the comp.
I think that the AX10 is a great kit and welcome them to show up and compete but having their own class is just Lame.
Just my thoughts
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Me and Kaetwo were talking and are considering a spec class for UTRCRC to replace the dying Super class.

The spec class would be this:

Axial AX-10 - completely box stock
- no hop-ups (that means kit tires, body & shocks, etc. - what you get out of the box is what you are running)
- 55t motor (kit gearing 14/87)
- An ESC that retails for less than $70 (Novak XRS, Futaba MC230CR, Tamiya TEU-10 BK, Runner, Tomahawk, Traxxas XL1)
- A servo that retails for less than $50 (HS-645MG, JR126MG, 3003, 94157 )
- Any Radio
- Any battery - must mount on the stock battery tray (yes, way up on top)
- No wheel weight (tire or rim)

What do you guys think?
My thoughts:
- If you have to run the stock body then you've lost me already. It's a great idea for keeping it a spec class, just not my cup o joe running the same thing as everybody else.
-I agree with JIA, it would be a shame to exclude the Novak Rooster Crawler, the first brushed ESC made specifically for crawling, from being used.
-I'm not real keen on the servo rule. I'd like to be able to use a servo that will actually turn the tires. But it's not a deal-breaker either.
-Leaving the battery up top is a good idea but will look horrible when I make my tube body.
-Wheel weight, I can live with it or without it. No weights would be perfectly reasonable to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
I'd allow the Novak Rooster Crawler brushed ESC to be used, it's $89.

Would be a shame to not use such a good esc that's only $19 more.
x2 as stated above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Shunk View Post
I think this is a killer idea. It is a great class for the new guys... Maybe open the 2.2 class to include rear steer.
Not on my watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishead1101 View Post
Why not an unlimited 2.2 class (less restiction) or a 14er class?
On a local level I think the AX-10 class could be fun but this is what I wanted to suggest to replace supers at next years Nationals.
I'd love to see supers replaced with a 14er class that would allow 2.2 or Maxx size wheels and 4ws. I think this would be a great class to see driveshaft trucks battling with clods.

Unless Axial becomes the headline sponsor of the Nationals I wouldn't want an Axial only class.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-21-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #25
06 Super National Champ

...and for the record...it always comes down to driver. No matter what the vehicle.

If you can't drive for chit the best equipment on Earth isn't going to do anything for you.

I raced Spec dragsters. Even ran bushings. It was a tough class to compete in and the result was that the best drivers won...same as with any other class.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #26
Old guy

Hey I just got me a super going and it rocks.Supers aren't dieing out,Just the people who can't handle them are.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
...and for the record...it always comes down to driver. No matter what the vehicle.

If you can't drive for chit the best equipment on Earth isn't going to do anything for you.
Yes but if you have 2 equal drivers then the build or setup on the rig makes all the difference.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

What Grizz. No 2.2 rear steer?!?!

It was just a thought. I like the way the 2.2 class is run..

I agree about the body thing too. (just say no bug bodies )
TJ_Shunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #29
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Yes but if you have 2 equal drivers then the build or setup on the rig makes all the difference.

I think wheel time is more important in a class like this.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Hey I just got me a super going and it rocks.Supers aren't dieing out,Just the people who can't handle them are.
No people can't afford them.

I agree with T' to an extent.I agree that supers are slowly going away.On the other hand I think a Spec class would show everyones true colors.Jasons right it's always the driver but the setup of the rig counts too.If everything is even you couldn't make up excuses about: "Well he had an SW-3 and I had a Black Jack."
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #31
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Shunk View Post
What Grizz. No 2.2 rear steer?!?!

It was just a thought. I like the way the 2.2 class is run..

I agree about the body thing too. (just say no bug bodies )
I have always felt that 4ws would kill the essence of the 2.2 class. I would be all for an "opened up" 2.2 class to replace supers though.

No bug bodies, yea.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
No bug bodies, yea.
What's wrong with a bug body.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Part of being a good driver is knowing how to setup youre car for youre driveing style and skills
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #34
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
What's wrong with a bug body.
There was nothing wrong with them until everyone had one.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There was nothing wrong with them until everyone had one.
They're just the flavor of the month...I mean year....
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

dumming the super is wrong SUPER are the best thing out there. 1st look how much money everone on here have in there SUPERS 1000.00 or not more.i am down with the 14in wheelbase. But how many are too.A super 2.2 class that would be good.here we go with the big $$$ thing again
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #37
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
dumming the super is wrong SUPER are the best thing out there. 1st look how much money everone on here have in there SUPERS 1000.00 or not more.i am down with the 14in wheelbase. But how many are too.A super 2.2 class that would be good.here we go with the big $$$ thing again
The super class entries for Nationals sat there for 2 days, nobody wanted them. After they were turned into 2.2 slots they were gone in 30 seconds. A few guys running in super only signed up cuz 2.2 was full and they wanted to run something. A few guys would love to trade their super spot for a 2.2 slot.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #38
Web Wheeling

Earlier today in our MNRCRC thread I posted up a idea for a sport mod scale class. Basicly a class that requires frame rails, and a truck or suv body. Also limited the electrnoics to a single brushed motor and 6 cell stick packs, sub c cells. Also the battery must be mounted to the frame, not to the links or axles.

Anyways, I felt that by limiting the trucks to a single brushed motor and only 6 cell stick packs (sub c's) was enough to keep the electronics on a more level playing field. I did think about the servos as well, but what is to keep someone from pulling stickers off a more expensive servo?

On the no wheel weights idea... You will get people stuffing lead inside the wheels, under the foam. Going to make people remove all 4 tires, to tech for weight? Better idea would be a overall weight limit, but again this just adds to the tech in time.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A few guys would love to trade their super spot for a 2.2 slot.
right on the money.I know two...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Not to be a dick Matt...but come on man.

Axial goes to all this work to build a rig to fit perfectly into the existing 2.2 class, and instead of welcoming it as a new addition to the crawler world, we're going to distance ourselves from it and put it in it's own class, which incidently is exactly the same as the other class we run (supers are dead, especially here in UT)...brilliant...
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote