Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: UTRCRC Considering a Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #41
RCC Addict

There has been talk about this locally too. I think it's a good idea and should help welcome new people to crawling. I don't have much experience with spec style racing but I'll chime in with my .02.

I think the rules need to be basic and to the point. Like batteries. one battery pack should be named. As soon as you start drifting from using stock factory components then you're veering away from spec class. The more things "allowed" the more time you'll have involved with checking every truck before competing right?

These trucks can still be used in normal 2.2 classes. It's not like they are banned only to the spec class if they do start one.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Not to be a dick Matt...but come on man.

Axial goes to all this work to build a rig to fit perfectly into the existing 2.2 class, and instead of welcoming it as a new addition to the crawler world, we're going to distance ourselves from it and put it in it's own class, which incidently is exactly the same as the other class we run (supers are dead, especially here in UT)...brilliant...
Not to be a dick either, but would you rather see a bunch of stock tlt's running around? Axial just opened up a whole new playing field and they are the first! Its up to us what we do with them and even if there is a spec class im sure in time there will be quite a few running axial axles in there 2.2 comp rigs
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Not to be a dick either, but would you rather see a bunch of stock tlt's running around? Axial just opened up a whole new playing field and they are the first! Its up to us what we do with them and even if there is a spec class im sure in time there will be quite a few running axial axles in there 2.2 comp rigs
In time? How about now? Come out here and I'll outcrawl you with my Scorpion as it sits. It's a comp ready rig right out of the box if it's setup properly. That's why it doesn't need a spec class. A spec class for a rig that's useless out of the box (like the TLT, or WK) would maybe make sense. A spec class for a rig that's already competitive doesn't make sense. Why have two classes running the same stuff? What's the difference between the Axial and a TVP'd TLT or WK? Why the hell do those rigs need a different class? They're the same damn rig w/ different axles....the difference is one guy bought everything in one box, and one guy bought stuff from different places and pieced it together. On the rocks they're pretty much the same, and as such, don't need to be in different classes.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Get rid of the super class?

Why does that sound so absurd to me?

Let's not forget where we started... our ROOTS.

The Clod has been around longer than some of the people on this board, and back when... it's all there was to even use... we'd spend $100's of dollars on these things and still do. If you want a spec class then make one... but don't cut off our fore fathers it would be a real shame. Let's not forget where this all started... I'm sure some of you remember when all we had was RCMT.net to go to even talk about crawling. We've come along ways in the last two years... let's not forget where we've been.

just my $.02

WaWa
WaWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Sounds cool to me, except for the battery thing. Either everyone should run the same battery, or you should be able to put it where you want it.

Also, on the top is horrible. Maybe mandate that it is place elsewhere, so the performance is ruined.
cuban b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #46
Im Brandon

Quote:
In time? How about now? Come out here and I'll outcrawl you with my Scorpion as it sits. It's a comp ready rig right out of the box if it's setup properly. That's why it doesn't need a spec class. A spec class for a rig that's useless out of the box (like the TLT, or WK) would maybe make sense. A spec class for a rig that's already competitive doesn't make sense. Why have two classes running the same stuff? What's the difference between the Axial and a TVP'd TLT or WK? Why the hell do those rigs need a different class? They're the same damn rig w/ different axles....the difference is one guy bought everything in one box, and one guy bought stuff from different places and pieced it together. On the rocks they're pretty much the same, and as such, don't need to be in different classes.
It makes total sense And where did I say its not competitive? Having a spec class is more for fun than anything, and having a box stock comp rig is a great platform to start such a class with. Whats wrong with that??
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Oh I love this.....Same response we got when we first anounced that the Super class was now called the Squat To Pee class. It's truely a dead class for us in Utah but I'm sure it's still big in other states.

The biggest thing with a spec class is to open it up to new drivers and to drive another great rig. For those of you who don't want to run the class, you have that option. It's one of those great freedoms we have.

I agree that it's fun to see all the different rigs out there and to see how everyone furthers the sport by coming up with crazy ideas like Creapy Foam, Delrin this and that, and chassis's that are shaped like birds and sticks. However not everyone has the budget of a NazT or the brilliant tooling and mechanical skills of an Ace or Griz. So with that said the Axial lends itself well to this spec application, but not solely to only this application.

For those who think it's dumb or pigeonholing the Axial as a "Spec" only rig....Please pay more attention to the idea of the Spec class. It's not to replace the 2.2 class or to "Keep out" the Axial. There more than welcome to compete in the 2.2 class and to be modified in any way shape or form. This class would be in addition too the existing 2.2 class. Just another class to take advantage of this new "In the Box" crawlers potential.

Last edited by kaetwo; 08-21-2007 at 02:28 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #48
~THE SCALE SHOP~

sounds cool, but if someone is accussed of wheel weights, are you gonna make them dismantle there beadlocks right there on the course before they run?
that was the only problem that came to mind.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #49
RCC Addict

How would you do courses would the "Spec Class" run the same courses? If they did It would give some a superior advantage do to the fact that they had ran the course once already.

We have a hard enough time getting everyone through the courses already with near 50 entries. I welcome more people to come compete, but if you have another class then you'll have people who will run both classes just to get the extra drive time in. We already had this problem last year with people running their 2.2's in the super class.

Once again I think the AX10 is a great kit and I think it could be very competitive. I would love to see some new guys show up to our comps with their AX10, but I don't see the need for a spec class.

I think 2.2 is spec enough.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaWa View Post
let's not forget where we've been.
When people show up to a UTRCRC comp w/ Supers, we let them run. We welcome everyone...but like Brett said, it's a dead class here...and as evidenced by Nationals not even being able to sell out, it's dying nationwide...but I still wouldn't get rid of it for the people who do like it...I just wouldn't encourage someone to get into that instead of 2.2.

As for being able to run my Axial in the 2.2 class...I know I can...and I will. I'd rather place midpack in the 2.2 class vs. Naz-T's badass tuber and Special Ed's Goat than dominate a "spec" class with my well set-up Scorpion.

That said...if I were just getting into it and building the rig on the cheap, I'd rather get dead last competing against Mike and Special than place in the top five in a "spec" class against other cheap asses. I know it costs a little money to win. You're not going to do very well w/ a 1500 stick pack, a Futaba 3003, and an Intellispeed ESC. If you want to build your rig on the cheap to get it running, that's fine...you're welcome to do that. You're welcome to come compete and see why we suggested better stuff. If you couldn't afford it, maybe you will be able to in the future...it's something to aspire to. Why buy something with as much potential as the Scorpion and then leave it half-assed because it's good enough to win the "spec" class? That's exactly what having a spec class like this is going to encourage...which I don't believe is going to be good for anyone. If you're not serious enough into it to spend the bit of extra money it take to make a better rig, you're probably not going to be too upset that you didn't place well at a comp. You probably came to the comp to have fun and meet people...not to have fun, meet people, AND win. Those people are welcome to come to our comps...but I don't see why they need their own class.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
When people show up to a UTRCRC comp w/ Supers, we let them run. We welcome everyone...but like Brett said, it's a dead class here...and as evidenced by Nationals not even being able to sell out, it's dying nationwide...but I still wouldn't get rid of it for the people who do like it...I just wouldn't encourage someone to get into that instead of 2.2.

As for being able to run my Axial in the 2.2 class...I know I can...and I will. I'd rather place midpack in the 2.2 class vs. Naz-T's badass tuber and Special Ed's Goat than dominate a "spec" class with my well set-up Scorpion.

That said...if I were just getting into it and building the rig on the cheap, I'd rather get dead last competing against Mike and Special than place in the top five in a "spec" class against other cheap asses. I know it costs a little money to win. You're not going to do very well w/ a 1500 stick pack, a Futaba 3003, and an Intellispeed ESC. If you want to build your rig on the cheap to get it running, that's fine...you're welcome to do that. You're welcome to come compete and see why we suggested better stuff. If you couldn't afford it, maybe you will be able to in the future...it's something to aspire to. Why buy something with as much potential as the Scorpion and then leave it half-assed because it's good enough to win the "spec" class? That's exactly what having a spec class like this is going to encourage...which I don't believe is going to be good for anyone. If you're not serious enough into it to spend the bit of extra money it take to make a better rig, you're probably not going to be too upset that you didn't place well at a comp. You probably came to the comp to have fun and meet people...not to have fun, meet people, AND win. Those people are welcome to come to our comps...but I don't see why they need their own class.
Numerous times in this post you assume that only newbs and cheapskates will be running...in OR the discusion came from senior members at the top of the scores sheets (Yes they plan to run!).

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Matt, Great idea for everyone else in the country besides the Utards You need more people showing up like you need a hole in the head
I think new starter type clubs (12 or less) would eat this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
I'd allow the Novak Rooster Crawler brushed ESC to be used, it's $89.
Would be a shame to not use such a good esc that's only $19 more.
I would have to agree with this, Griz's body comment.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
Numerous times in this post you assume that only newbs and cheapskates will be running.
Chad-
That is because it was pitched as a "cheap" competitive class. Why would a top driver want to run crappy electronics?

I don't think this is a bad idea for some clubs. If you only had 15 people show up to comps regularly why not run another class? For those clubs I'd say "Sure, why not". But I don't think that UTRCRC needs another class. It takes all day to run the comps as is. Adding another class will make it take that much longer.

If UTRCRC wanted to run a Spec Class the only way I could see it working is if you were allowed to register for 1 class and 1 class only. But then I don't know to many of the guys that would sign up for it period. Making it pointless.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

We struggle to field a super class at most of the CMRCRC comps as well, yet the 2.2 class is thriving.

We have discussed starting a spec class w/ the Scorpion as the base.

It is a complete comp ready rig conveniently packaged in one box.

As a spec class rig, it allows everyone to compete on a more equal level. For n00bs, it offers a first step into the sport and a chance to learn how to tune and drive a crawler and be not intimidated by all of the rigs that have been built, tested, modded, and tuned to gain maximum performance. As they feel more confident or comfortable, they already have the rig necessary to move to the 2.2 class after a few simple mods.

For the more experienced guys, it's an opportunity to show their driving mastery w/ a rig that is nearly identical to those it is competing against. This removes the question of the rigs playing a role in the victory.

Personally, I think it will be a fun class!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
That is because it was pitched as a "cheap" competitive class. Why would a top driver want to run crappy electronics?

I don't think this is a bad idea for some clubs. If you only had 15 people show up to comps regularly why not run another class? For those clubs I'd say "Sure, why not". But I don't think that UTRCRC needs another class. It takes all day to run the comps as is. Adding another class will make it take that much longer.

If UTRCRC wanted to run a Spec Class the only way I could see it working is if you were allowed to register for 1 class and 1 class only. But then I don't know to many of the guys that would sign up for it period. Making it pointless.

Yeah i dont think that the word "cheap" is the idea. Its more of lets see who can pull of the win with everyone using basically the same setup. More of a "fun" class. The time issue is a big deal. Maybe hold 2.2's first. Then after thats all done, whip out the ax-10s and throw down a little comp to see who can win.

I say good idea brett and matt

Just as Brett(kaetwo) said, Its not about having the nicest rig or who spends the most money, its about who can drive their stock rig the best and push it beyond its limits. The ax10 is a pretty cabable rig box stock, its not like we are driving nylints. I think that it would be fun and very competitive. And matt isnt saying to ban the ax-10 from the 2.2 class. Sure you can build a bad a$$ rig with your axial and run it in the 2.2 class, or have a stock ax-10 and run it in the 2.2 class. This is just an alternative that would be more fun running your stock ax10 vs other stock ax10s

Great Example-

It's like in motocross at the amateur nationals. Theres usually a 250 Pro/Sport, 250 Modified, and a 250 Stock. The stock class isnt a beginner/cheap/crappy class. Its one of the most competitive classes there is because it really shows the factory support and sponsors there how good of a rider you actually are.

Last edited by dirk379; 08-21-2007 at 04:21 PM.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Sounds like fun. I was thinking that the AX-10 would be perfect for something like this too.
This is a great idea!

I'm wondering though......
would it include any new, complete RTR crawler that came about in the future? Or would it only be limited to one box stock production crawler?
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

this tread keeps going ok where can you these crawler from.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #58
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
this tread keeps going ok where can you these crawler from.
Richard, Randy BBY has them in stock
Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

I think it'd be fair to place restrictions on motor - 55 turn only, battery voltage (maybe even limit it to one specific sport pack), battery location (could the battery be mounted UNDER the top plate? Regardless, absolutely NO axle mounting of batteries!), and limiting the class to a certain price range, or maybe even specific servos. It goes without saying that the chassis, tires, wheels, etc... should remain bone stock.
I think this spec class is an EXCELLENT idea. It'll provide a level playing field with regards to equipment, and good driving and luck will be rewarded. The Scorpion seems to be a very capable crawler out of the box - I suppose if you disagree with the rules, don't run. Enter a comp 2.2 class and modify to your heart's content.
85V8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

we have been talking about this for a while and working on our own rules for it. i dont really like the big battery up top idea. but think a mini t oack would make a great spec class battery for these.
i like the price cap rule and if the novak falls out of the rules o well.\
I am all for diffrent bodys.
this is would be a good drivers class. and fun and should eliminate the money game.
if another manufacture comes out with a crawler kit then we could start specing tires and batts and run diffrent platforms
maybe just make a spec 2.2 class and allow any platform limit batt motor and tire.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote