Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: UTRCRC Considering a Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #81
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
Is is the thought of a 55t motor on 6 cells with a wimpy servo?
Yes and no, why just a Axial comp? Most of the time its not the most expensive rig that wins, it's the driver. So are just new to crawling people going to hold these events? How about restricter plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Kind of like going to the fair, eating 2 footlongs, one corndog, A grezzy cheese burger, a huge plater of chilli cheese fries, 46 oz. of soda, nachos with hot peppers, a churro, a heap of cotton candy and some dippin dots then hopping onto the tilt a whirl.
Actually I would feel better after that!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #82

Yeah!!! My 1st post

I think with the new square pigeon formate we should have plenty of time for Super, 2.2, and Spec. Hell why stop there lets go with a WK class too. We could even bring back the "Old School class"... Oh wait that class died B4 it even started.

Or we could just separate the classes by tire, you know a Masher class, Moab class, RockClaw class, and a lizard class. That would be way cool.
Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #83
RCC Addict

^^ That is not me. I swear!
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

if this class really starts...

I am gonna waste every one of you with my 1/6 nylint scorpion!!!!!

my nylint has so much flex man! It's sweet bro!!!

bring on the axial (scorpions) everyone knows that nylint had the first scorpion
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Super's are expensive, no question about it. However, the super class also has spawned some of the best innovations in the hobby. If everyone had to stick with a TLT would we have dual ESC's, steering servo's throwing 400 oz. of torque, over volting, volting up, gearing down, 3S Lipo's, XTM Thorns, voltage regualtors, special foams...the list goes on. Now all of those items might have come on their own but Super's pushed the technology forward.

The same debate goes on over Nascar and Formula 1. "Equality" vs. innovation. Maybe Super's are losing popularity but by replacing it with a stock class might have unintended consequences. Some examples...
$2000 2.2's
Same drivers winning spec and 2.2
Spec class becoming a class without innovation
Companies losing interest in RC crawling due to only 1 class they can market products to (tires, axles, gearing, suspension, you name it)

Just my $.02
teamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #86
RCC Addict

This is rough one to read.

Hades will freeze over before I get rid or stop competing with my super. (Bout the same time that I think Clods are cool and build one ) Yes, in some parts of the country supers are hard to challenge, yes the are expensive, but yes the are a lot of fun to drive!

I finally built a 2.2 after getting tired of waiting on the 2.2 class to run so I can run my next round in Supers. It is fun but not the same.

I personally wouldn't mind robbing parts out of the Axial, maybe even run it stock before hand, but I wouldn't want to run a spec class for them. Our club is brand new, and we are going through a lot of teething problems with just the 2 normal classes. Especially since most had ZERO comp experience prior to the club forming. If we had a spec class to contend with, comps wouldn't end until way after dark!

Viva La Supers and Viva La Shafty!!
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
Looking for a class that is truely a drivers class with trucks that could be competitive (sp?) for $500.

Chad-
you can build a competitive 2.2 class for that, just stay away from the over rated brushless crap.

on Topic:
I also think it depends on were you are located, it depends on if there are any good areas for a Super class truck.

Here in WA., there are more spots for a Super class rig than a 2.2 .

Last edited by DUDE; 08-21-2007 at 08:50 PM.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

I knew this thread would produce some great comedy.

Thanks, Mike.

BTW, here's a cheap spec class:

Wheely Kings with lockers that are converted to 12.5" wheelbase...battery in stock location, stock steering servo and tires.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #89
'08 2.2 National Champ

Blaaaaaaaaaaaa, I can't believe I just read this whole thing.

Being fairly new to this myself I think that it sounds like a ton of fun but....with as long as the comps in Utah run right now I don't see it working out in the long run.

Maybe we can try it at a get together and see how it goes from there. I wasn't really interested at all in the whole rig until this popped up, sure I wanted to try the axles and tranny but nothing else looks that spectacular.

I can see myself right now building up an Axial and having a nervous break-down because I want to use all of the knowledge I have learned here and not being able to:? I want to _______, but I can't.

Oh yeah, and will about 20 people please destroy Naz-t at nationals so he calms down a little You know I love you Mike
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

MOTHER FREAKIN WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those few know what I'm talking about.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

I say give it a shot. If it dont work out, we can all sell our cheapo electrics and build a good 2.2 rig out of whats left.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #92
2006 2.2 National Champ

Guys that don't run the classes that are available in their area are crazy IMO. If you're serious about competing and drive only one class, you're missing out on critical wheel time, and are not going to be as well rounded as a driver that competes in both classes. Let the belly aching begin.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Guys that don't run the classes that are available in their area are crazy IMO. If you're serious about competing and drive only one class, you're missing out on critical wheel time, and are not going to be as well rounded as a driver that competes in both classes. Let the belly aching begin.
You have no idea what your talking about Mr.
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #94
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED View Post
You have no idea what your talking about Mr.
True.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No doubt...I run both classes in ORCRC and WARCRC comps to try and get my fill. Its hard having an addiction you only get to quench (sp?) two times a month.

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Quote:
True.
Yeah who are you anyways???
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

This is a great idea!

I'm wondering though......
would it include any new, complete RTR crawler that came about in the future? Or would it only be limited to one box stock production crawler?

SO THIS IS FOR AXIAL RIGS ONLY?
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

Proposing a spec class for any element of RC is tricky. You must be fare to both the participants and manufacturers and the specs must be solid enough to make vehicle inspection quick and simple. It would be beneficial to have manufacturers onboard to offer products and support at a reasonable cost too. For example; if Axial and Integy were used for exclusive product supply, meeting the class specs would be simple… Axial AX-10 kit, Integy motor, speedo, battery and servo. Integy would likely put a package together at a good price. This would be as simple as a spec class could get, or could it be made even simpler to go with the HPI product? The Wheely King, an all in one package at half the cost and more of a driving challenge to the participants. True the WK is not a pure Crawler at heart, but I feel most people would think of a spec class to be a little more affordable than $500 to get going. The costs involved with our specialty niche in the hobby may be more accepted? I feel the Axial AX-10 will find its way into the 2.2 class and be very competitive with all the purpose built chassis’ out there.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Don't know if anyone said this already. But you could not subject anyone to using the stock tires that came with the kit. Since there are now two versions of the same tire. It would be to hard to try and tech the tires!

Also..you may want to think about a battery rule too. A 4 cell sub C weighs more than a 2 cell lipo. Would save on weight way up and hurt the "lipo afraid" group!

This sounds like a good idea. The 3.2 tire 2.2 14"er sounds good too though! The Axial would would be cheaper bet to attract new people to the sport.

Tom

Last edited by Racer4Life; 08-22-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

imo people will run the class, for about 2 months, then they will be so sick of running the thing bone stock that they will want to mod them, that is one thing that ive noticed about this hobby, people aren't content to leave well enough alone, they are constantly upgrading and pushing the limits, thats one reason i love it so much.

also if you really want newcomers to feel more welcome, one idea is to have free lessons at the comps, from what ive seen, everyone just kind of stands around until they get their 5 mins anyway, so why not take that time to pull the nubes aside and give thm advice an their setup, and pointers on their driving, theres a lot of knowledge out there, and I know that there are people willing to share what they've learned. isn't that what this forum is about anyway.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote