Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: UTRCRC Considering a Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
As a spec class rig, it allows everyone to compete on a more equal level. For n00bs, it offers a first step into the sport and a chance to learn how to tune and drive a crawler and be not intimidated by all of the rigs that have been built, tested, modded, and tuned to gain maximum performance. As they feel more confident or comfortable, they already have the rig necessary to move to the 2.2 class after a few simple mods.
Like others have said...in a smaller club, I could see that working well...but how are you going to regulate people who stay in that class to get victories instead of moving up to the more difficult 2.2 class?
Quote:
For the more experienced guys, it's an opportunity to show their driving mastery w/ a rig that is nearly identical to those it is competing against. This removes the question of the rigs playing a role in the victory.
I honestly think allowing people who've been crawling for a while to compete in the class completely screws the idea of the class. You don't go to the race track, throw your RTR T4 down in Novice class and procede to get your *** kicked by a mod driver who's running "Novice" class for extra practice. They don't allow that...and for good reason. If we're going to run a spec class as a novice class, then experienced drivers shouldn't be allowed to compete.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Yeah i dont think that the word "cheap" is the idea. Its more of lets see who can pull of the win with everyone using basically the same setup. More of a "fun" class. The time issue is a big deal. Maybe hold 2.2's first. Then after thats all done, whip out the ax-10s and throw down a little comp to see who can win.

I say good idea brett and matt

Just as Brett(kaetwo) said, Its not about having the nicest rig or who spends the most money, its about who can drive their stock rig the best and push it beyond its limits. The ax10 is a pretty cabable rig box stock, its not like we are driving nylints. I think that it would be fun and very competitive. And matt isnt saying to ban the ax-10 from the 2.2 class. Sure you can build a bad a$$ rig with your axial and run it in the 2.2 class, or have a stock ax-10 and run it in the 2.2 class. This is just an alternative that would be more fun running your stock ax10 vs other stock ax10s
Once again why would a top driver want to run crappy electronics? We all know who the best drivers in our club are and it's not their rigs that is making them good. If we start a new class it will still be Roar and I on top and if you all want to get beat twice in one day that is fine

Good idea. Just not for our club.
Like Fishmaxx said we need another class like a hole in the head.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #63
06 Super National Champ

I knew this thread would produce some great comedy.

Thanks, Mike.

BTW, here's a cheap spec class:

Wheely Kings with lockers that are converted to 12.5" wheelbase...battery in stock location, stock steering servo and tires.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 08-21-2007 at 04:54 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
If we start a new class it will still be Roar and I on top and if you all want to get beat twice in one day that is fine
I wish September would get here sooner.

I don't think we have enough time at a comp to do this. Plus we do Scale runs on different weekends already.

I like the Novice class Idea. That means I can move down to that class and start wining...

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 08-21-2007 at 04:56 PM.
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #65

supers are not dead mines still kickin. i would have loved to take my super to nats ive just been broke as a joke and cant aford gas to even get out to practice. when i show up with my 2.2 and my super my super gets more attention then my 2.2 . i think the 2.2 is easier to drive then the super by far. anyway the spec class is a neat idea but like naz-t said you would turn the all day event in to a 2 day event. and that would be hard for a lot of people to do at a comp. may be if you do a spec class run it inbetween the regular comps so you run reg comp on the first weekend of the month then you run the spec on the 3rd weekend. that way you get the new guys coming out and giving it a try but you dont hurt to regular comps buy having too many people coming out.
darkfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Like others have said...in a smaller club, I could see that working well...but how are you going to regulate people who stay in that class to get victories instead of moving up to the more difficult 2.2 class?
Good question, perhaps a cap on the number of victories one can have in the class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry 816288
I honestly think allowing people who've been crawling for a while to compete in the class completely screws the idea of the class. You don't go to the race track, throw your RTR T4 down in Novice class and proceed to get your *** kicked by a mod driver who's running "Novice" class for extra practice. They don't allow that...and for good reason. If we're going to run a spec class as a novice class, then experienced drivers shouldn't be allowed to compete.

First I guess we need to decide if it will be a Spec class or a Novice class. That will determine whether or not it would be open to the seasoned drivers or not.

There are still kinks that need to be ironed out, but I think it is worth a shot and an idea that deserves consideration.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #67
R.I.P. Chip

The USRCCA has been looking into this and has some good ideas to make it happen.

I think we'll need to name an exact ESC, servo, battery, and motor though.

I also have an idea like they do in many other spec classes. At the end of the day ANYONE can come up to the winner of the event and buy his rig, minus radio and reciever, for $XXX amount of money. This rule keeps people from trying to dump tons of money into the rig, and allows a newbie to walk up and purchase a proven rig on the spot.

Last edited by jason; 08-21-2007 at 05:22 PM.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure that some of you understand what a spec class is. It has NOTHING to do with beginers/novice class.

It's no different then the Tamiya TCS, Porsche Cup, F-1, or any other spec class. All the same vehicle using a limited electronics package and like tires. At our local race club we have an Associated 18R spec class for guys that just want something fun to do other than just Stock, Mod, 19 Turn or Gas Sedan. It's a SPEC class.

Now if you want a beginner class then yes you would worry about how many wins, this that and the other, before bumping to stock or mod but it's not a begginer class.

SPEC CLASS

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #69
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED View Post
I like the Novice class Idea. That means I can move down to that class and start wining...
Ed... you won last comp.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I'm not sure that some of you understand what a spec class is. It has NOTHING to do with beginers/novice class.

It's no different then the Tamiya TCS, Porsche Cup, F-1, or any other spec class. All the same vehicle using a limited electronics package and like tires. At our local race club we have an Associated 18R spec class for guys that just want something fun to do other than just Stock, Mod, 19 Turn or Gas Sedan. It's a SPEC class.

Now if you want a beginner class then yes you would worry about how many wins, this that and the other, before bumping to stock or mod but it's not a beginner class.

SPEC CLASS

You could apply the same rules to both classes (spec and novice) w/ minor differences (ie number of wins) if there is enough interest.

It will probably come down to what the local clubs feel is a sustainable class.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #71

BLUE TIRES
ROC LOBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #72
06 Super National Champ

As said earlier, I've raced spec classes.

None of them panned out because folks that thought the "Spec Class" would help even the playing field learned that the same guys that were winning in the other classes also dominated the spec class. In a class where everything is so closely matched it was the drivers that prevailed.

Folks got tired of losing to the same guys and sold thier stuff. Killed the class.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

i knwo i dont live in the US, but i thought id share my opnion on this even though it doesnt affect me (kinda)...

spec class could be good, but by no means do I want one... like someone said before, the beauty of Crawling is the fact that its so different...

we buy 1/8 buggy kits which are basically the same and their all made by manufacturers... crawling, their all home made, thats the beauty, there all unique and your taking this away with everyone running the same boring thing... p

people want to see innovation and what people come up with... crawling is amazing because of this, its fairly new and ideas are being experimented all the time, and there is still so much to learn. you cant stop that... but a spec class willl...
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #74

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Shunk View Post
What Grizz. No 2.2 rear steer?!?!

It was just a thought. I like the way the 2.2 class is run..

I agree about the body thing too. (just say no bug bodies )

Dude bug bodies are cool!!!! Have you lost your mind ? The new body style s*ck but, the old one look great.
curdogexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post

It's no different then the Tamiya TCS, Porsche Cup, F-1, or any other spec class. All the same vehicle using a limited electronics package and like tires. At our local race club we have an Associated 18R spec class for guys that just want something fun.

SPEC CLASS

All of the above mentioned are also dying off if not already dead.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #76
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I personally dont like the idea of limiting the electronics, but that is always the first thing I change in a rig Since there isn't anything included in the kit, it leaves the builder open for whatever he wants.

I would like to see a "spec" class where the rigs were basically shared. I bring my AX10 and let everybody drive it. Everybody gets a fresh battery and otherwise it is the same rig. If you want to keep it cheap, have a rig or two owned by the local group and let the newbs drive that!

It will still boil down to the same winners IMO. Dez pretty much sweeps the driving around here, and even if he drove an AX10 I bet he would still win as long as he got enough driving time before the comp.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #77
MODERHATER™

All I can say is this thread makes me sick to my stomach.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #78
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Is is the thought of a 55t motor on 6 cells with a wimpy servo?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #79
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Kind of like going to the fair, eating 2 footlongs, one corndog, A grezzy cheese burger, a huge plater of chilli cheese fries, 46 oz. of soda, nachos with hot peppers, a churro, a heap of cotton candy and some dippin dots then hopping onto the tilt a whirl.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #80
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Kind of like going to the fair, eating 2 footlongs, one corndog, A grezzy cheese burger, a huge plater of chilli cheese fries, 46 oz. of soda, nachos with hot peppers, a churro, a heap of cotton candy and some dippin dots then hopping onto the tilt a whirl.
:urp: I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote