Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: UTRCRC Considering a Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Guys that don't run the classes that are available in their area are crazy IMO. If you're serious about competing and drive only one class, you're missing out...........
Once again showing why he is the man.

Roar, way to come strong with the 1st post.

This time next month people will be reading all your posts
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #102
Pebble Pounder

FOR ALL OF US THAT (poo their is my caps again sorry ) have raced r/c in the past or still do , know about the drama and work that goes in to all the comps/races and time , at leased for me i like to build the rigs go out in the middle of know where (away from the city) and drive my rig i built , bullpoo with others that have done the same the comps are awsome but i personaly think keeping them simple and straight forward will keep crawling ingenral more fun , i think 2.2 based class and that is good enough , its all a hobby and fun , so for people that want to bring supers , nylints , stompers , its all good run what ever but if you know you want to compete hardcore then you should build a 2.2 and follow the 2.2 rules .
utrcrc (naz-t ) go out at leased 2 times a week and just fun crawl , most the time all of us know about it and who has time shows , and we all have fun crawling , and bullpooing about set ups and shiz ...
simple and straight foward ...
k their is my 2 pennies...
PSYCHOPATHICUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminsavage View Post
imo people will run the class, for about 2 months, then they will be so sick of running the thing bone stock that they will want to mod them, that is one thing that ive noticed about this hobby, people aren't content to leave well enough alone, they are constantly upgrading and pushing the limits, thats one reason i love it so much.

also if you really want newcomers to feel more welcome, one idea is to have free lessons at the comps, from what ive seen, everyone just kind of stands around until they get their 5 mins anyway, so why not take that time to pull the nubes aside and give thm advice an their setup, and pointers on their driving, theres a lot of knowledge out there, and I know that there are people willing to share what they've learned. isn't that what this forum is about anyway.
exactly....

Crawling is ALL about upgrading and testing, everyone does it all the time, if you take that factor away, whats left??!?!

half of the fun is making and upgrading your machine, constantly trying out manufacturers new stuff. building new tube chassis, trying out setups.. how can we possibly go without this???
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #104
'08 2.2 National Champ

At first I was against it but I think it sounds like fun, at least to try out. Its all about the driver and not the machine. Maybe we could try something out at a get together. I'm sure there is at least 1/2 dozen guys in UTRCRC that would be willing to pick them up just to try out. I got mine this morning and am going to set it up stock, at least at first.

Also, I totally agree with Bender, the main reason I still run Super is for driving time, this also sounds like fun and means more driving time too.

If its the price of a rig or another rig, I know that majority of people on the forum that have been on for more than 6 months have several rigs. What's one more especially when you're running for $400 or less
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #105
Say hello to my dactylion

OK then...

Axial AX-10 - completely box stock
- Only Axial brand factory hop-ups allowed (on-axle battery/servo mount, high clearance links, aluminum shocks, etc)
- Any 10th scale body (see USRCCA rules for body regulations)
- Any Axial band 2.2 tires and rims
- No wheel weight (tire or rim) or weighting the vehicle in any way
- 55t motor only (kit gearing 14/87)
- Novak Rooster 12t or Rooster CE ESC only
- Hitec HS-645MG only
- Any Radio
- Mini-T or RC-18 battery only - must mount on the stock battery tray (unless Axial factory hop-up is used)

You can tweak the ride height (cut the springs limit the shocks, what ever)
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #106
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
OK then...

Axial AX-10 - completely box stock
- Only Axial brand factory hop-ups allowed (on-axle battery/servo mount, high clearance links, aluminum shocks, etc)
- Any Axial band 2.2 tires and rims
- Hitec HS-645MG only
- Any Radio
- Mini-T or RC-18 battery only - must mount on the stock battery tray (unless Axial factory hop-up is used)

You can tweak the ride height (cut the springs limit the shocks, what ever)
You had me at "Any 10th scale body".
Consider me on the bandwagon.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
You had me at "Any 10th scale body".
Consider me on the bandwagon.
hahaha
Old 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #108
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
I'd like, "Any 10th scale Truck or SUV body" and maybe even add, "trimmed 100% along the original cut lines, no additional trimming allowed."
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I'd like, "Any 10th scale Truck or SUV body" and maybe even add, "trimmed 100% along the original cut lines, no additional trimming allowed."
That sounds good to me.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd also add "No stadium truck bodies" ei; RC10 type bodies.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #111
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'd liked it when it was a price restriction on the servo and ESC, not a model. Whatever though. There are plenty of servos out there that are the same quality as those but cheaper.

Keep if stock too, your just making it into a standard 2.2 comp rig by the time you do all of the hop ups, ie high clearance links and front battery mount.

So, is that with modified foams or stock foams only?
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Guys that don't run the classes that are available in their area are crazy IMO. If you're serious about competing and drive only one class, you're missing out on critical wheel time, and are not going to be as well rounded as a driver that competes in both classes. Let the belly aching begin.
Yes...because driving a 12.5" wheelbase front steer, 5" tire equipped rig and a 17" wheelbase, 4WS, 7" tire equipped rig have so much in common that you couldn't possibly learn how to drive one w/o driving the other.

Or you could be like the UT guys who don't run Supers...run one rig, all the time. Build it to be bombproof, carry enough spares to fix anything that can break anyways, have multiple batteries, and don't make excuses. Just drive the thing.

I won't argue the importance of wheel time...you're exactly right on that...but wheel time on a Super isn't going to do much of anything for you when it comes to driving your 2.2, and vice versa. Not all wheel time is equal. 4 hours of crawling a 2.2 rig vs. 2 hours of crawling a 2.2 rig and 2 hours crawling a Super do not have the same result for the 2.2 rig. The guy who spends 4 hours crawling his 2.2 is...given everything else being equal...better prepared than the guy w/ only 2 hours on that rig, and an additional 2 hours on a different rig.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #113
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Yes...because driving a 12.5" wheelbase front steer, 5" tire equipped rig and a 17" wheelbase, 4WS, 7" tire equipped rig have so much in common that you couldn't possibly learn how to drive one w/o driving the other.

Or you could be like the UT guys who don't run Supers...run one rig, all the time. Build it to be bombproof, carry enough spares to fix anything that can break anyways, have multiple batteries, and don't make excuses. Just drive the thing.

I won't argue the importance of wheel time...you're exactly right on that...but wheel time on a Super isn't going to do much of anything for you when it comes to driving your 2.2, and vice versa. Not all wheel time is equal. 4 hours of crawling a 2.2 rig vs. 2 hours of crawling a 2.2 rig and 2 hours crawling a Super do not have the same result for the 2.2 rig. The guy who spends 4 hours crawling his 2.2 is...given everything else being equal...better prepared than the guy w/ only 2 hours on that rig, and an additional 2 hours on a different rig.

Well, then you'll remain an average driver with that attitude.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
LOL...that's the way i see it man...but it is different for different people. You've obviously had the success to back up your methods, so I won't argue what works for you because it's obvious that it has worked very, very well. It just doesn't work for me...
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ouch, that wasn't a gentleman's slap, that was done with the gauntlet. (Not saying I'm disagreeing with you either.)
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #116
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
LOL...that's the way i see it man...but it is different for different people. You've obviously had the success to back up your methods, so I won't argue what works for you because it's obvious that it has worked very, very well. It just doesn't work for me...

I see where you're coming from. More wheel time on a single rig is key. But, driving different rigs once in a while is beneficial IMO.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Ditch supers.

Count me in in the spec class.

I like it
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #118
RCC Addict

I hate the idea of a spec class.

Crawling is not only about driving. Its also about setup and innovation.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
I hate the idea of a spec class.

Crawling is not only about driving. Its also about setup and innovation.
It is not going to eliminate the 2.2 class.

FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #120
Web Wheeling

Quote:
OK then...

Are you going to require people to remove wheels, so you can tech the weight? If you are concerned about weight, put a max weight limit for the entire rig.

Open this up to any brushed motor and gearing, this will let people tune their trucks a little more. And keeps people from cheating by replacing the com with another turn.

I would leave this open to any esc.

- Hitec HS-645MG only

Leave this open to any 1/10 scale servo, that is not digital.
Quote:
Some bodys will not fit the truck without trimming the wheel wells, such as the K5 Blazer body. I would like to see full length doors however.

Those are just my opionions :-P
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote