Sunday
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Comp moved to 10/11
He is just playing. LOL. I scheduled this vacation so as NOT to miss the last Comp. Jessica wanted to leave on Friday.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I volunteered us so, I will handle working the counter (unless/hopefully others will also volunteer).

I'm thinking we will need about $250 in supplies to build the course. I'd like to find a local shop/track to take the course after the event. It would be a shame to just demolish it (although I could store it at the farm).

For a design, I think I have settled on a "mountain" in the middle of the trailer with various climbs/valleys/ledges. and put a 1' tall border around the edge of the trailer to hold the extra rock.
Are you gonna take that off trailer? If so how, will it be in sections? I might have a place to keep it?
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

its my atv/jeep trailer so when we are done it has to come off. At the show it will remain on the trailer. It could easily be built in sections, just will take more wood/money.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Got a little bit more info...

this isnt a 100% thing yet, the pullers have a couple more days to to put something together but, its looking good for us.

I secured a course sponsor! RC Hobbies in Naperville is going to provide the funding to build the course!

I found out that the floor space is LARGER than I thought. Therefore Im ditching the trailer mounted course idea. We are going to go with 4x4 pallets, each built as a separate course that can be rearranged etc. The nice thing, these will be able to be reused for outdoor and indoor events in the future. and should be able to be carried by 4 guys or a forklift.

We will still need some rock to fill in areas etc and lots of construction help... Once I get the go ahead we will start construction.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Got a little bit more info...

this isnt a 100% thing yet, the pullers have a couple more days to to put something together but, its looking good for us.

I secured a course sponsor! RC Hobbies in Naperville is going to provide the funding to build the course!

I found out that the floor space is LARGER than I thought. Therefore Im ditching the trailer mounted course idea. We are going to go with 4x4 pallets, each built as a separate course that can be rearranged etc. The nice thing, these will be able to be reused for outdoor and indoor events in the future. and should be able to be carried by 4 guys or a forklift.

We will still need some rock to fill in areas etc and lots of construction help... Once I get the go ahead we will start construction.
I can also get lots of wood pallets, and yes its legal.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Yea me too on the pallets. I'll go ahead and start building a couple to see how it goes. Any requests on overall heighth Jeff?
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
lots of construction help... Once I get the go ahead we will start construction.
let me know when, i'll bring the jack
thevulgarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking 4' tall thats pretty much square... Try to keep each one under 150#. Would be nice to make a couple that go together so they can be "linked". Even if Ihobby doesn't work out for some reason, these would be good for an indoor course someplace or could work with a car show/cruise night to setup a parking lot comp.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

4' ??? How do you build up the sides? Put it on a platform on the pallet? I thought 4' peaks maybe. I gotta rethink my plan here. Maybe 1' off the pallet would be easier. As a side heighth for interlocking?

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 08-10-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

yup... you misunderstood. 4' at the tallest peak. The course would start at the ground and go up,over,thru the obstacle and back to the floor. On the ground around the obstacle we could use concrete board for traction.

Im also thinking about a "wall of doom" like at Omaha but, doable.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yup... you misunderstood. 4' at the tallest peak. The course would start at the ground and go up,over,thru the obstacle and back to the floor. On the ground around the obstacle we could use concrete board for traction.

Im also thinking about a "wall of doom" like at Omaha but, doable.
ok that makes sence. I think I'm gonna try and do 4 all somewhat interlocking. I already have 2 of them planned out. I have the supplies here to start building.
Crete - Check
Pallets - Check
Wire mesh - Check
Burlap - Check
Boxes, Paper, Boards, Whatever - Check
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
ok that makes sence. I think I'm gonna try and do 4 all somewhat interlocking. I already have 2 of them planned out. I have the supplies here to start building.
Crete - Check
Pallets - Check
Wire mesh - Check
Burlap - Check
Boxes, Paper, Boards, Whatever - Check
First finish your course with the crete we picked up the other day! I got those plywood squares if either of you two need them? Heck maybe i'll take a stab at it and build some too!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

you guys are going to make it too easy on me! When you make your sections, make them hard. If this works out, we will hopefully be having manufacture demos on the course and we dont want to take it easy on them.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
you guys are going to make it too easy on me! When you make your sections, make them hard. If this works out, we will hopefully be having manufacture demos on the course and we dont want to take it easy on them.
How many of these are we gonna need? I was thinkin bout makin 2-3 that can be stacked onto others for a real good climb and other obsticles!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I want to avoid stacking them... too easy for the setup crew at the show to destroy them. I should be able to fit 8 on my trailer at a time maybe 1 in my truck. If someone else has the setup day off work and can haul, we could have more. Worst case would be to make extra and not use them.

We will get the 100% go/no go by the end of the week. They are still giving the pullers more time to pull something together (watching their forum it isnt looking like they will). Ive got my fingers crossed... Pulling is dead, crawling is big.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

What day would setup be on? One thing to consider is we should make them doable. We are trying to bring more people into the sport rather than give manufactures a hard time. I think if people are watching top stuff not make the courses then they will be turned away. I have no problem making a few hard ones to test products but I think the blunt should be like I said "doable"
just my .02
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Im not talking impossible by any means... We have to drive our own trucks on these for demos etc but, make the climbs steep and tall (like the side of Bobs course) the ledges sharp etc etc. Im thinking up a way to add a water fall/stream and maybe a couple that will be put together and connected by a cable bridge. Basically make it look really impressive for the audience. I also want to figure out a way to do a scaler run, bring in some logs etc so we need some sections that aren't just tall climbs etc. Ill look for the pics from the Omaha comp, I think we can get some good ideas.

Last edited by jetboat; 08-11-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Not sure if this will help, but the rock walls we built last year for I-hobby were 4x8' each (two pallets together) and were approx 4' tall at the top. Think of it as a mountain. These walls work really well and are easily moved by 4 guys. You can put them back to back, side by side or even put a suspension bridge between them.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but the rock walls we built last year for I-hobby were 4x8' each (two pallets together) and were approx 4' tall at the top. Think of it as a mountain. These walls work really well and are easily moved by 4 guys. You can put them back to back, side by side or even put a suspension bridge between them.
J

Going to loan them to us? The area we will hopefully have is HUGE in comparison to what you guys had to work with... I cant remember exact dimensions but I believe its 25'x50'.