Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: I-Hobby course/Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default I-Hobby course/Comp

Brad let me know this weekend that the pullers are out and we are in if we can get a course together. I have a 18' +2' car trailer that we can convert into a course (needs to be temp). My plan is concrete over chicken wire as it will be the cheapest. Heres the problem, I cant foot the bill on this alone so... we need to find some sponsors etc. I figure it will cost about $500 to build. Ive already got a line on 1000# of flag stone we can get for about $120 (if you ever buy rock, thats CHEAP).

Ideas, suggestions etc... lets hear them.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Brad let me know this weekend that the pullers are out and we are in if we can get a course together. I have a 18' +2' car trailer that we can convert into a course (needs to be temp). My plan is concrete over chicken wire as it will be the cheapest. Heres the problem, I cant foot the bill on this alone so... we need to find some sponsors etc. I figure it will cost about $500 to build. Ive already got a line on 1000# of flag stone we can get for about $120 (if you ever buy rock, thats CHEAP).

Ideas, suggestions etc... lets hear them.
love to give cash but broke. but have free time to help and a strong back if donate cash be small like 20 or so
thevulgarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have quite a bit of left over chicken wire from my course. I'll be glad to pitch that in. That stuff has gone way up in price. How many bags of Crete are you estimating?
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

haven't figure it out yet... Kind of depends how heavy we build it and if its going to be reused or trashed after. I found a small roll of wire in the back of my garage so i have that as a start... Im thinking of building most of the course from the concrete/wire system since it will be ALLOT lighter than rock.

If we could find an indoor location, we could build the course in sections so it can be reused and have winter comps.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I can get you all the rock you need for free.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
I can get you all the rock you need for free.
Whoa..... Where you been?? After this is built we need to talk lol check out the thread on my course!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
Whoa..... Where you been?? After this is built we need to talk lol check out the thread on my course!
I seen it, it looks badass. Me and a buddy of mine just made something like that in my backyard, but it came out to easy. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

what size of rock are we talking? And is it by legal means that you come by these?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
what size of rock are we talking? And is it by legal means that you come by these?
They arnt that big, maybe the size of a 2.2 for the larger ones, but i can probably find bigger. What do you consider legal?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What do you consider legal?
If you have to ask...

Where are you getting them from? Are we talking, going to construction sites and asking or are you "borrowing" them from peoples landscaping?

I'm thinking the size of a basketball is good...anything bigger will be too hard to move. We will just have to creative with the layout.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Not to bud into conversation, If there is a boat and dock place around any of you guys check and see if you can find some old dock foam. its usually like 4ft wide 18 to 20 in thick and can be up to 12ft long.
you can carve it with chain saw and cover with wire and concrete.

I did a small test piece and now getting ready to do some more, works great. kinda heavy but with enough guys it could be moved and stored.

A couple pics of what I did:

just trying to help...

Tom
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you have to ask...

Where are you getting them from? Are we talking, going to construction sites and asking or are you "borrowing" them from peoples landscaping?

I'm thinking the size of a basketball is good...anything bigger will be too hard to move. We will just have to creative with the layout.
I can get basketball size. There is a retention (sp?) pond by my house with a bunch of rocks ive been taking them since last october when i first started crawling. There is a place off 30 that im gonna go try and get some rock from too, that wont be "legal" though.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can get basketball size. There is a retention (sp?) pond by my house with a bunch of rocks ive been taking them since last october when i first started crawling. There is a place off 30 that im gonna go try and get some rock from too, that wont be "legal" though.

now what if I was a cop

shhhhhhhh
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I can get rocks for this too Jeff!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

sounds like we should be good on real rocks.... Now we just need to figure out a game plan on the main course. I have some sponsor requests out but, haven't heard anything back yet.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
MWRCA'er

Yeah I was going to say what products are we showcasing. I was there crawling when RCP and that track company was in Chicago. It was a lot of fun crawling but you really needed some one to work the counter and answer questions.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I volunteered us so, I will handle working the counter (unless/hopefully others will also volunteer).

I'm thinking we will need about $250 in supplies to build the course. I'd like to find a local shop/track to take the course after the event. It would be a shame to just demolish it (although I could store it at the farm).

For a design, I think I have settled on a "mountain" in the middle of the trailer with various climbs/valleys/ledges. and put a 1' tall border around the edge of the trailer to hold the extra rock.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I can help with the build weekend mornings except this Sunday. Plus I'll bring up that wire.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I volunteered us so, I will handle working the counter (unless/hopefully others will also volunteer).

I'm thinking we will need about $250 in supplies to build the course. I'd like to find a local shop/track to take the course after the event. It would be a shame to just demolish it (although I could store it at the farm).

For a design, I think I have settled on a "mountain" in the middle of the trailer with various climbs/valleys/ledges. and put a 1' tall border around the edge of the trailer to hold the extra rock.
I can volunteer to work the counter some as well....I am also able to assist with the build. My only timing issue is that I am leaving right after the Comp on 10/10 for Mexico.....and will be getting back right before iHobby. So the help that I am able to provide is going to have to take place before that time.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I can volunteer to work the counter some as well....I am also able to assist with the build. My only timing issue is that I am leaving right after the Comp on 10/10 for Mexico.....and will be getting back right before iHobby. So the help that I am able to provide is going to have to take place before that time.

Comp moved to 10/11