Notices

Thread: on road cars anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
You know me... I never turn down parts

I keep thinking I should take her up on the offer to get the 5b... I have wanted one for a long time but dang, thats more than tires and wheels for the roadster.
They look fun and all, but i bet their is more productive things i could do with $1200. Plus, its not like your going to buy one and leave it. Your going to want tires, big bore kit, exhaust, billet cooling head, ect. It would be a money pit.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

I'm thinking instead of investing in a on-road car for my kid (5 going on 6), I prob just should drop a brushless setup in his Slash and let him play around with that.

I have seen a rally type body that might give it a new look as well.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

super rs4 bodies fit the slash and there are plenty of onroad bodies available. Just add some sway bars and road tires.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
super rs4 bodies fit the slash and there are plenty of onroad bodies available. Just add some sway bars and road tires.
I'm thinking about the amount of time it spends sliding on the lid, I should just get some sway bars, and maybe tires and call it a day..

Then again, perhaps I should just sell it with the Losi 2.4Ghz radio and a battery or 2, and pick up the Slash 4x4

Last edited by y2kgtp; 02-21-2010 at 08:37 AM.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Now much for it without a radio and batteries?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

TC3 came in today... Now to get it cleaned up and setup. How in the world does the motor mount in this thing work?????
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
TC3 came in today... Now to get it cleaned up and setup. How in the world does the motor mount in this thing work?????
You loosen a couple screws and twist the motor mount plate to set gear mesh, kinda like on a Losi Comp Crawler
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #68
MWRCA'er

Uber crappy motor cam plate. It works well it's just way more complex then necessary. The stock steering is also really crappy for parking lot racing. Little rocks will fill up the slots on the slider and you can't turn. Could make a lexan shield which helps make the problem more rare. I drilled new holes and mounted bell cranks from a NTC3. Just couldn't take baseball diamond abuse in rally mode otherwise.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

that steering was something I was looking at changing, just wasn't sure what to do till now. Once I get my mill back together that motor mount may have to go.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
that steering was something I was looking at changing, just wasn't sure what to do till now. Once I get my mill back together that motor mount may have to go.
The motor mount is OK, you just need to work with it. Don't gorilla fist the screw with the spring and it won't tweak.

Are you planning to go BL or Brushed? If BL the high turns require massive pinions, you will need to weed out some of the ribbing from the chassis below the pinion.

The steering rack is a weak point and tends to break at the ball studs. It's rare to get a stone caught in there but dust and dirt do build up making the rack stick in spots regardless of the bearings. The TC4 uses a double bell crank and maybe you can modify the chassis to fit it. I never bothered and just used it the way it was until I sold it.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Im doing BL... have to figure out the gearing etc, ideally I would like to set it up for about 40mph down a 100' stretch, more corner speed than straights.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Im doing BL... have to figure out the gearing etc, ideally I would like to set it up for about 40mph down a 100' stretch, more corner speed than straights.
What wind are you thinking of using? A 13.5 on a 2S geared to a 5 FDR would be close to that speed. That would be a 72/36 gearing. Just about the largest pinion to fit.

I have a very nice LRP X-11 4.5T sensored motor that you can have for cheap. Hardly used but for a couple races when we did open mod. The class was too fast for most of the racers at Strictly RC so they all flocked to 13.5.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Ive got a 4600 combo coming. With that kind of power should be easy enough to get the speed I want.

On the gas powered front... I ordered it (long funny story how I got the cash)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ive got a 4600 combo coming. With that kind of power should be easy enough to get the speed I want.

On the gas powered front... I ordered it (long funny story how I got the cash)

We got the time lets hear it!!!!!!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #75
RCC Addict

I am trying (looking on eBay and RCTech) for a Factory Team TC4 Roller that is in good condition. I have patience....and will keep looking. Thinking of dropping a sidewinder and a 5700 castle motor into it....running on 2 cells for racing and 3 cells for FUN.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Normally I am eligable for a 10% bonus at work (we have never gotten 10%) well they changed some things around and for a week I was eligable for 12% but then I got moved from level 7 to level 8 then to 7t which meant they dropped us back to 10% but now we can get ot. So to be fair they gave us 2% to make up for lossing the 12% potential (which we would never get anyway).

Over the last couple years we have been saving every penny and I have made several sacrifices (I know it doesn't look like it) we paid off all our bills except the house and met our savings goals so my wife had already told me I could pick 1 dumb biig thing to get and she actually suggested either a new gun or "that big gas rc car you have wanted". So we talked about it and then Saturday they had the 5b on horsepower and she actually sat there and watched an episode (she has never watched it). And said that looked like it would be allot of fun at the farm. So I called and got a price on an ss kit from Bill @ rc hobbies (he beat the online prices) so I thought about it over night and then yesterday after I found out about the 2%, I told Anita (greatest wife on earth) and she told me that I had no excuse not to get it and I would regret it if I didn't. So, I called Bill and ordered it.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Normally I am eligable for a 10% bonus at work (we have never gotten 10%) well they changed some things around and for a week I was eligable for 12% but then I got moved from level 7 to level 8 then to 7t which meant they dropped us back to 10% but now we can get ot. So to be fair they gave us 2% to make up for lossing the 12% potential (which we would never get anyway).

Over the last couple years we have been saving every penny and I have made several sacrifices (I know it doesn't look like it) we paid off all our bills except the house and met our savings goals so my wife had already told me I could pick 1 dumb biig thing to get and she actually suggested either a new gun or "that big gas rc car you have wanted". So we talked about it and then Saturday they had the 5b on horsepower and she actually sat there and watched an episode (she has never watched it). And said that looked like it would be allot of fun at the farm. So I called and got a price on an ss kit from Bill @ rc hobbies (he beat the online prices) so I thought about it over night and then yesterday after I found out about the 2%, I told Anita (greatest wife on earth) and she told me that I had no excuse not to get it and I would regret it if I didn't. So, I called Bill and ordered it.

Anita needs to talk to Jessica. We get a similar annual bonus....ours is a max of 20% of our annual salary (Each of us is eligable for this bonus and this year we both got the full 20%). Like you we carry NO debt except for our home and have some pretty aggressive savings goals. We use our bonus for vacations, investments, and savings....and use the tax return for Jessica's college classes. We got our bonuses on Friday, and she has already put the $$$ into the correct accounts. None has ended up in MY account. :( She says that I spend enough, and do not need any extra $$$ to "blow on stupid toys".
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

We have gotten the bonus for 4 yrs now and it along with tax returns have went to pay off vehicles, vehicle repairs, student loans, savings goals etc. This is the first yr we have been essentialy debt free and have made our savings goals. I know with the baby that our spending will have to be contained and I think that is why Anita pushed for me to get the toy now as she knows this is my last chance. I do have to sell 2 rc's though but that's to make room for the tc...also, no new builds for 6 months which I think is fair.

What's really kind of sad, when you compare a 5b ss kit to let's say an e-revo, they come out to almost the same by the time you include the batteries needed to run the revo for any length of time. And the 5b can be driven non stop all day on about $3 worth of fuel. That's not me rationalizing, just saying how expensive rc has gotten (heck a crawler setup will cost you about the same if you can't build the parts yourself)

Back to road cars... a couple of coworkers that live near me have tc3 nitro's and think they can hold their own against bl power. They said the parking lot by the Romeoville highscool baseball field is fair game (1 of the guys is on the towns citizen police force and checked it out). As long its adults causing no harm and in a semi organized fasion we are free to use the lot if there is no other event going on.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Will their eyes bulge when they see your BL powered TC3 walk away from and stay ahead of their NTC3s.

Electric power = no spool up delay and pure grunt from 0 rpm. Translation, faster out of the box and smooth to the top. That's on a drag race of course. On a road course it will be the driver's skill that contributes to a win.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Speaking of bonuses..... I got mine today too!!!!
We all got a $50 gas card for being a accident free shop for 3 years. This they gave us at the end of the meeting where they tell us they will have to postpone raises for the fourth year in a row. at least I will recieve a raise soon cause minimum wage is getting close. Hard to believe I weld and fabricate destroyed accident wrecked trailers fo just a couple dollars more than the local burger king kid makes. Sigh.. 1 day I will be debt free.......BWAHHAHAHA
hell I owe 39k in car notes alone lol.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote