Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #4501
Rock Crawler

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

You dont see too many leaf springs on class 2 vehicles. The axial scx10 rigs are a solid starting point. Lots of parts available. Proven reliable.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #4502
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
thanks guys ,ive been reading all day and i never found that info ..
so after seeing that i guess im aiming for class 2 will this work nice any one try or seen one the fact that its says its no longer made bothers me a bit should i be concerned about that ?
Trail Finder 1/10 4 Link Truck Kit (Red)
Honestly I'd pick up a SCX10 either Honcho or Dingo. You can either get it new, or check the For Sale section as there are some good deals on pretty much RTR rigs. SCX10 has tons of options, hop-ups and easy replacement parts. OOB either will be a Class 2 rig. Toss on some 2.2 (say the Ripsaws) and its pretty much a Class 3 rig to start with. A Wraith is a class 3 rig.

The Trailfinder is pretty much a Class 1; although there is a newer version that some of the guys have.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #4503
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post

The Trailfinder is pretty much a Class 1; although there is a newer version that some of the guys have.
what did they change from the first Trailfinder?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #4504
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
what did they change from the first Trailfinder?
The TF2 is a different chassis, tranny, transfer case and axles.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #4505
RCC Addict

Yea, the TF2 is way cooler.. Don't forget hard body!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #4506
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
The TF2 is a different chassis, tranny, transfer case and axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Yea, the TF2 is way cooler.. Don't forget hard body!
I never new there was one that was different from the ones you guys have.

I really like the body on the TF2.

Last edited by sally1800; 04-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #4507

Quote:
thanks guys ,ive been reading all day and i never found that info ..
so after seeing that i guess im aiming for class 2 will this work nice any one try or seen one the fact that its says its no longer made bothers me a bit should i be concerned about that ?
Trail Finder 1/10 4 Link Truck Kit (Red)
without hesitation i would suggest the axial honcho or dingo for class2.

axial has tons of factory and aftermarket parts support, and if you want to you can most definitely take a honcho or dingo to class 3.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #4508
RCC Addict

There were 4 older TF models, A short WB Leafer and a short WB Linked for Jeeps and a long WB Leafer and a long WB Linked. Different chassis on each. Same D35 aluminum axles on all of them and a range of wheel and tires, but mainly 1.55s. Some had R2 2speeds some had R2 single speeds.

Our TF2s are a different and much better made chassis, Cast Yota axles, 2 Speed R3 tranny and transfer case. Plus the Hilux Hard Body.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #4509
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
without hesitation i would suggest the axial honcho or dingo for class2.

axial has tons of factory and aftermarket parts support, and if you want to you can most definitely take a honcho or dingo to class 3.
X2. Can't go wrong on the Axial Dingo Builders kit.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #4510
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
X2. Can't go wrong on the Axial Dingo Builders kit.
x3, Axial to get you started in Class 2 or Class 3.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #4511
RCC Addict

SOme people have even done decent C1 builds on them, just takes a little more work. My red Hilux is a SCX10 based C1.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #4512
RCC Addict

bronc4now, I will offer this up. I would suggest, if it is in your budget a Dingo Builders kit from RPP, they have the best combination of price, service and delivery time around. Going with the Buiders Kit, you get a lot of upgrades but would need to buy some other stuff to get started:

1. Radio - 2.4Ghz is the only way to go, and typically with crawlers, you want 3 channel minimum. Spektrum DX3E is not a bad starter.
2. ESC - Texin FX-R is a nice starting point
3. Motor - for a starter Integy or Tekin are fine, a Holmes would be better. 35T would be good, a 27 turn would be better.
4. Servo - Nothing less than 200 in. oz. of torque for class 2 and most of us run 300+. The Hitec HS-7954 or 7955 are great deals bit there are some nice savor and if you need cheaper, Towner Hobbies has their own branded servos.
5. A BEC. Castle Creations 10A is all you need.
6. Batteries and Chargers - I can't say enough about the G Force batteries from Value Hobbies in Bensonville. They also have a fairly simple charger but you will need an AC adapter. They also sell them. I would go with the 2200MHr 30 or 35C 3S if you get the above.
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store: Welcome to ValueHobby

If money is tight, you can start on a RTR kit from Axial, like the Trail Honcho. Sometimes a little hard to find. Then all you need to start are the batteries and charger. But, you will find your self doing a lot of upgrades fairly quick.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #4513

x4 on the Axail. I have a RTR Honcho with added mods and love it. Thinking about getting the kit just to have another one.
BAD 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #4514

Got my esc's & motors from HH yesterday and was pretty PISSED when i found out that esc's were not waterproofed (my bad) main reason that i ordered them so i took one apart and brushed front & back with 2 coats of Plasti-Dip put it back together and it worked, so far. Big test will be coming soon. Need to put everything back together and do some fine tuning. I am starting to get the hang of this. Very cool
BAD 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #4515
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD 1 View Post
Got my esc's & motors from HH yesterday and was pretty PISSED when i found out that esc's were not waterproofed (my bad) main reason that i ordered them so i took one apart and brushed front & back with 2 coats of Plasti-Dip put it back together and it worked, so far. Big test will be coming soon. Need to put everything back together and do some fine tuning. I am starting to get the hang of this. Very cool
You can send them back to him to do if you want. He'll waterproof anything for like $10.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #4516
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help and advice...
I know about the scx10 is the go to kit and everyone has one ..I like being different and i know if i buy one of those I will end up replacing 50% of it . My 1st build was a xr-10 about a year ago so I'm not a total newbe just new to classes 1,2,3 before I just played in the yard I never knew these crawling events were so close to me ..and I'm set with electronics .. really like the tf2 but i what to run 1.9 wheels on it and not sure its ok to do that ..
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #4517
Quarry Creeper

I'll try and come out Sunday and watch ..I was planning on racing but the rain on Sat might wash out the track ...

Last edited by bronc4now; 04-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #4518
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Thanks for the help and advice...
I know about the scx10 is the go to kit and everyone has one ..I like being different and i know if i buy one of those I will end up replacing 50% of it . My 1st build was a xr-10 about a year ago so I'm not a total newbe just new to classes 1,2,3 before I just played in the yard I never knew these crawling events were so close to me ..and I'm set with electronics .. really like the tf2 but i what to run 1.9 wheels on it and not sure its ok to do that ..
I hear ya about being different... but so far, we have I think 4 TF2's in the pack and they all look pretty much the same. No offense guys

But really, you can run almost any body on any chassis. All the TF2's look the same because the body is one of the big selling points, it's really nice.

I don't think 1.9's will fit under it very well, can someone that has one chime in here?

Hold off on buying anything till you can get out to a comp... it's sorta too bad we're at Busse. Busse is a lot of fun but it's all rock crawling and very technical driving. Foster and Roselle are muddy and more playful IMO.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #4519
Rock Crawler

The leaf springs on the TF2 will hurt your performance as well. Leaf springs are cool on a class 1 where you're trying to be scale but don't perform as well as a 4-Link with coil over type springs. If you want to be really different look at a cross canyon chassis from GCM. You'd be building from the ground up though, all it is is a chassis, you'd have to find everything to go with it. They're expensive though.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #4520

got the tj today.
pretty cool... needs ALOT of work but definitely something worth the time to improve.

badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame