Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6th Chevy Monster Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Inflated to 20psi (on mistake, thought the gauge said 10psi) next to a jumbo kong that has nothing inside it.

You're probable wondering the size difference? The stock Kong measured 8.4". The inflated Kong?

Yes, it's insanely big!

However, 20psi was too much and the inner tube blew sometime over night. I have to pick up another one at lunch today. I built the 3 other tires and they have all held at 10psi so far and measure around 9" OD
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #122
RCC Addict

Haha, thats sweet, to bad the 20PSI didnt hold looked like a serious farm mudder.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #123
Sometimes, I make things.

Holy Crap! Sweet truck! Those tubed tires look pretty sweet, definetly bump up the size factor. Curious to see a video of them in action.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

sick truck, I like your xmod nsx too, what upgrades does it have?
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #125
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
sick truck, I like your xmod nsx too, what upgrades does it have?
It's not functional. Just a body and chassis with wheels.

Now for an update.

i just had to run over some stuff with the tires inflated to 10spi :crazy:

Now for the fun :chug:

Video: Chevy Monster in the water

Definitely in need of larger tires with more displacement. It sits way to low under the water.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

oops..lol nice test vid, I see what you mean about the floating level
I'll post up the pics of the chevy on the lake, just need to dig trough PB
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smm_cbf View Post
oops..lol nice test vid, I see what you mean about the floating level
I'll post up the pics of the chevy on the lake, just need to dig trough PB

yeh I sent you a PM because I remember seeing the avalanche floating and it was only sitting about 2-3" in the water but the Swamp Kongs you had were INSANELY wide.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #128
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
yeh I sent you a PM because I remember seeing the avalanche floating and it was only sitting about 2-3" in the water but the Swamp Kongs you had were INSANELY wide.
Yea, they were stock width and never glued to the rims either. Drilled a hole in the rim and stuck in a air valve and had a football pump to fill it with air. Never did like the width so I got them narrowed but was fun being able to go boating
Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #129
RCC Addict

Cool. Makes perfect sense to me then because the bead on these kongs with the maxx rim is REALLY tight. I have some new rims coming that are 4" wide so hopefully that'll get her on top of the water The truggy wheels I'm running are only 2.3" wide.

Do you know much your avalanche weighs?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #130
Rock Crawler

Just an idea but you might try not putting the air tubes in the tires at all. I never ran mine like that and just filled what ever space was in the wheels with no foam. The chevy was heavy as all can be, not to mention I ran 12cells so that was a lot right there...I'm not sure but maybe 15 pounds??
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #131
RCC Addict

I actually have been reading up on buoyancy and what it takes to float things in water. Pretty easy really. All you have to do is displace the amount of water that your vehicles weighs. So if my truck weighs 20lbs then when I set it in the water it needs to displace 20lbs of water in order to float. If I want the truck to float so that the water line is half way up my wheels when it's floating then that means each half of wheel needs to displace about 0.6 gallons of water which is about 5lbs of water (1G = 8.35lbs)

1.0 Gallon = .134 cu ft
0.6 Gallon = .08 cu ft

If I can get the Jumbo Kong on a 4" rim the whole tire should displace about 0.129cu ft. So it turns out that I probably won't be able to have the water line at the middle of the wheel. It will be more like 5" from the bottom of the tire which is close enough. Of course weight bias on the truck is going to make the back sit deeper than the front since I have the battery towards the back.

Sorry for all the thinking. I get bored at work and like to think things out sometimes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #132
RCC Addict

looks awsome NickRummy, keep up the good work. and if u ever a axle again i spare set that i'll sell cheap.

rich
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #133
RCC Addict

I got in a set of Ofna Pirate rims because they're 4" wide, almost full offset like my truggy wheels and 17mm. How perfect right!? Wrong. I went to mount the Jumbo Kong on there and it turns out the Ofna rim is smaller than the 3.2" maxx size rim. So the tire would never fit on there correctly.

Took me a while to come up with a solution and it's still not perfected but it's forward progress. I had a set of rims that come with the jumbo kongs and these fit well enough that they hold air without even being glued. So I know I wanted the beads from these rims. Got the calipers out and did some measuring and came up with a plan.

Cut the bead rings off the rims that come with Kongs using a band saw then cleaned up with a belt sander. The front is going to need a lot of clean up work with the dremel since some of the center cut off with it. Should be ok though. I'll be using this on the backside of the modded rim just in case it doesn't look as nice.

Setup the router to take the lip off the edge of the rim and leave just a tad bit of material to make the fit nice.

Now the rim has a new bead that I know holds air :thumbsup

Backside of the rim will be the same using the front of the cut up rim, it's just going to take some work cleaning up that bead. I'll glue these rings on with CA then I'll run a bead of silicone around the inside just to make sure it's sealed up.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Those tires are going to be awesome once you get all of the bugs worked out. Looks like you are getting a handle on that situation. Are you going to be using the tubes again or just filling the tires with air? I like the tube idea but the stem might throw off the balance when you run at high speed ( you have proved that this rig likes to go fast! ). Keep the pic's coming!
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #135
RCC Addict

No more inner tubes. They added weight and didn't have enough size to keep the truck floating.

The valve stems will definitely throw the balance of the wheels off but they were balanced terribly before the stems were added This set of wheels will only be for water. I have another set that will be for every day running.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #136
RCC Addict

The goal at lunch time today was to get the front ring cleaned up since it still had a lot of center section left. There was no real easy way to do it so out came the dremel with the cut off wheel and a lot of patience.

Here's what I got it trimmed up to. I still need to get it cleaned up but at least I can test it.

So here's the modded Ofna Pirate rim. Outer lip taken off the front and the rear lip completely taken off the back and the front and rear rings from the kong rims.

Here's the slip fit on both sides to see how it goes together. All seems perfect! I'll get the rings epoxied on and should be set.

Now I just need to get the rest all cleaned up and assembled and I think I'll paint them up so they look decent.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #137
RCC Addict

Hopefully this will be the last of the boring wheel posts

Got the front and rear rings cleaned up and epoxied onto the center section. Drilled a hole and installed my blingtastic valve stems from Summit Racing. You can see the bead of the epoxy around the ring.

The tires are MUCH wider looking. Looks more like a monster truck wheel now.

You can see the difference in the sidewalls pretty well in this pic.

They hold air well but not good enough to hold air over night. Should be fine for testing. Brought the camera and truck with me today so hopefully at lunch time it'll do some floating!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #138
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Looking good, just a quick question................How many pairs do you have?
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #139
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy View Post
Looking good, just a quick question................How many pairs do you have?
Of the Kongs? I think I have 3 full sets but somehow I ripped the bead on one tire.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #140
RCC Addict

How about some pictures first

Now how about a little power

You know I had to take a video

Chevy MT Floating Video