Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Street's t4r build(going IFS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Nice build man thats a real nice 4runner! in Hawaii the only things that fit on trails are toyotas and suzukis anything else gets major body damage from trees and stuff! im kinda building simular too you but i dont think i got as much detail in everything although mine is a nice scaler too
heres my build so far

I've been wanting a better chassis though also
what do you recommend for my crawler to look more scaled?
oahuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Street's t4r build(going IFS)

Been working on the 4Runner a little lately and decided I want to make it more scale by going to an independent front suspension. Here are the beginnings:

I need to finalize the control arms, including some shocks/springs, and figure out the axles. I'm thinking the rear axles from the micro-t might work but am not sure what length they are. If anyone has one and can measure please let me know! Thanks

Last edited by StreetKill831; 01-13-2012 at 07:12 PM.
StreetKill831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

How about a Micro SCT/Rally front end with shortened arms? That would take care of most of the geometry and shock issues.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
How about a Micro SCT/Rally front end with shortened arms? That would take care of most of the geometry and shock issues.
That's what this is. Geometry is fine, I just need to figure out the shorter axles and mount the shocks.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Id be willing to bet the T dog bones are too short. SCT ones might fit the bill perfectly, if not, widetrack T axles.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Id be willing to bet the T dog bones are too short. SCT ones might fit the bill perfectly, if not, widetrack T axles.
I shortened this down from a SCT so those are too long. If I can't find someone with the measurements I guess I'll just have to get a set and see. Just don't feel like paying more in shipping than they cost if they aren't going to work..
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

23mm end to end for microt bones
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Just ordered a set. The site said length was 20mm, pretty sure they should fit just about perfect. Also ordered a set of mini-t shocks because they look to be a lot narrower than micro crawler shocks. We'll see!

I have a lot in store for the 4Runner:

IFS
new frame
rework the rear suspension
new rear bumper(almost complete, will reveal it soon)
going to run the SCT wheels and swampers instead of the HR beedlocks and crushers.
Going to be removing the losi trans entirely and running separate geared motors front and rear to take care of the difference in ratios of the differentials. (will also make things more sleek than the huge losi trans.

Need to get a new front diff for the SCT now..
Old 01-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Are you going to run SCT or Rally wheels? Rallies are the only ones that fit the Crawler tires.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are you going to run SCT or Rally wheels? Rallies are the only ones that fit the Crawler tires.
lol my bad, that's what I meant. I have had some swampers mounted on my rally wheels for a while and they are much more scale than the crushers and HR beedlocks.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

What about the rear? SCT stub shafts? The cups are slightly smaller, but fit the axle ends nonetheless.

The T shocks are the same diameter as the crawler ones (the springs swap). For scale looks and small diameter, the HR shocks might work for you (plus they look like Bilstiens, further adding to your expo rig look.).
Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What about the rear? SCT stub shafts? The cups are slightly smaller, but fit the axle ends nonetheless.

The T shocks are the same diameter as the crawler ones (the springs swap). For scale looks and small diameter, the HR shocks might work for you (plus they look like Bilstiens, further adding to your expo rig look.).
I'll be modifying the wheels to work on the crawler axle ends. I'm afraid they will just strip out the way they are mounted on the SCT. I'm pretty sure the crawler axle ends will fit in the front SCT portion.

Forgot that the springs fit.. oh well they were only a few dollars. I might have to pick up some of the HR shocks although they are kinda pricey..
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

I hear you on the few dollars statement, I've got a literal hobby shop of my own to draw from because I get the "me want" syndrome quite often (whether needed or not). I'm really looking foward to what you come up with on that front end, it's really cool. You're right about the HR rims on that 1/24th body, they look like 22s almost. I'm betting the shocks would fit nice between the arms and be a good way to tie the lowers together.

Good luck figuring out a way to get the f&r ratios right, that's gonna be tough. Do you plan on cutting an SCT driveshaft to use for an output shaft for the diff/driveshaft.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKill831 View Post
Just ordered a set. The site said length was 20mm, pretty sure they should fit just about perfect. Also ordered a set of mini-t shocks because they look to be a lot narrower than micro crawler shocks. We'll see!
they probably measured pin to pin, whereas I measured the full length end for end
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I hear you on the few dollars statement, I've got a literal hobby shop of my own to draw from because I get the "me want" syndrome quite often (whether needed or not). I'm really looking foward to what you come up with on that front end, it's really cool. You're right about the HR rims on that 1/24th body, they look like 22s almost. I'm betting the shocks would fit nice between the arms and be a good way to tie the lowers together.

Good luck figuring out a way to get the f&r ratios right, that's gonna be tough. Do you plan on cutting an SCT driveshaft to use for an output shaft for the diff/driveshaft.
Hopefully I'll be able to make some more progress tonight. Since my LHS shut down I end up having to order most of my supplies.. I should have everything I need to start the frame and finish up the rear bumper.

I'll most likely be mounting the shocks on the outside, rear of the lower arms. If I put them between they will be in the way of the dog bones.

Once I figure out the exact ratio of each it shouldn't be too hard. I know a place where I can get geared motors with many different ratios so I'll just choose what will make it even or as close to even as possible.

I'm pretty sure the motor i'll end up with has a "D" shaft already so I'm hoping it just slides right in. Otherwise yea I'll cut down a SCT driveshaft.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

D'oh, spaced the axles have to occupy the space.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
D'oh, spaced the axles have to occupy the space.
haha no worries. I just spent $5 on shocks I should have known were the same size..
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Completely new bumper: basically finished!

Probably going to add a hitch receiver and maybe a hi-lift mount(with hi-lift).
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Hitch receiver finished. Think I might call it a night.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up Re: Street's t4r build(going IFS)

Wow I just started making a winch from the old servo and i like to see yours work.nice work man!

Last edited by scx10 honcho; 01-14-2012 at 10:43 PM.
scx10 honcho is offline   Reply With Quote