Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something small

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something small

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
WOW, Just, WOW!

As ur not a vendor but maybe want to be, ill throw the money for it! With some parts in return as a "tester"... :thumbup:;)
I could be interested as well along with others I'm sure In purchasing modded shocks from you and you have been doing some amazing work keep it up thanks-Steve
steven a rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #62
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver18qc View Post
That's exactly how the HSP Kulak locker is made, except in plastic !
The ring gear is actually of a Kulak, so yes its pretty much the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
That is simply beautiful.

That's how I imagine my axle looking when I daydream at work.

I'll give you $10,000 for it.........deal?
Thanks!

For that prize I will only sell them in pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
WOW, Just, WOW!

As ur not a vendor but maybe want to be, ill throw the money for it! With some parts in return as a "tester"... :thumbup:;)
Thanks

I might pick up a blue star sometime, but I do not think I could sell something like this. I am to slow with the lathe so it takes me quite a while to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven a rockcrawler View Post
I could be interested as well along with others I'm sure In purchasing modded shocks from you and you have been doing some amazing work keep it up thanks-Steve
Thanks

Another problem for me is that I live around half the world from most of you guys and the shipping is not so cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansom View Post
excellent build u got going DEFINITELY interested in the chassis you got in the works
The chassis might be sold by Barry, so look out in the vendor section, it might pop up there in the future.

So I had big plans for the weekend and the dividing head did arrive on friday, perfect timing.

But... the small ring gear I showed a couple of posts ago was to small so I could not fasten it on a spool without having the screws interfere with the threads on the gear... Then I also had found a 11T pinion gear that I thought would be perfect to under drive the rear axle, but that pinion gear didn't mesh properly with the stock ring gear... then all these annoying puny screws... I really like these small crawlers, but at the same time I really dislike that they are build up with so small parts...

So... I had seen that someone here on Rccrawler did some MRC axles from AX10 axles, I cannot remember who I am afraid though. But I wanted to use my nice VP chubs and knuckles, so when I noticed that my local hobby shop had a wraith housing in stock I just had to try it with that one instead of some AX10 axles.

I did not get anything done this weekend that I had planed, but I got this made instead.

Presenting the AR60 Jr axles

And of course there is a proper Axial over drive gear combo in there.

I have removed quite a lot of material from both the width and height of the housing, but it is made from a single housing. Hex to hex I am sitting at 7" at the moment. As I also cut off quite a lot from the pumkin and with my enlarged Rovers the ground clearence is not that bad I think.

I will continue to work on it and see if it is useable. So far although it seems quite promising. I might also make my own pumkin cover so I do not have to have the servo so far forward.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 01-26-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Hmmmm. This axle solves a lot of problems on these little guys. My only worry is the lower link/shock mount looks to be pretty narrow. Then again you could always mount everything on the outside side of the mount.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Very interesting. Do you have a comparison pic of a stock MRC housing vs your hybrid axle so we can see the difference in clearance?
buggy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #65
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Hmmmm. This axle solves a lot of problems on these little guys. My only worry is the lower link/shock mount looks to be pretty narrow. Then again you could always mount everything on the outside side of the mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy0001 View Post
Very interesting. Do you have a comparison pic of a stock MRC housing vs your hybrid axle so we can see the difference in clearance?
See below

I have gotten a couple of questions about my AR60 Jr axles so here is a bunch of pictures to explain how I made them and how they compare to the MRC axles.

First I loose about 5 mm of ground clearance with the larger pumkin on the AR60 Jr axles. I thought it would be more, but I am glad I was wrong. The servo sits at the same height though

On the short side of the housing I only shortened the axle tube with 6 mm. You can see where I cut it in the picture below. The parts where glued together with slow curing epoxy and reinforced inside the tube with a carbon fibre tube.

On the long side of the housing I first cut so the links are spaced away the same length from the center as the short side. Then I shortened the tube with 6 mm. You can see where I cut it in the picture below.

The servo and link mount was made so the gear can run without hitting anything. The servo is mounted on top of the cut out for the gear so no dirt can get inside.

The bottom plate was a bit more complicated to make as it is machined on both sides so the gear can run clear and give as much ground clearance as possible.

AR60 Jr axle compared to my XR10 modded MRC axle

Some measurements

The AR60 Jr axles seems to be ok as rear axle too
The lockouts are XR10 lockouts.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 01-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Love it! I want a set now!
buggy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Love what you've done here.

BUT, I'm seriously bummed out that your previous plan didn't work.

I was really excited for someone to finally make a working spool for these rigs that a vendor could copy and then I could buy it!

Love the name AR60 Jr by the way.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #68

These look like they would be indestructible on a mini. By the way how did you get those cuts so clean on the axle tubes?
bullas1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Just silly stuff! I love it man! Your builds are always so off the wall, yet very inspiring to me.

Keep it up. Always entertaining to see what you will come up with next
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Bad ideas, ugly builds.
It will never work

NOT!
rofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #71
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy0001 View Post
Love it! I want a set now!
Thanks!
Get a hacksaw and a wraith housing and get to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
Love what you've done here.

BUT, I'm seriously bummed out that your previous plan didn't work.

I was really excited for someone to finally make a working spool for these rigs that a vendor could copy and then I could buy it!

Love the name AR60 Jr by the way.
Thanks
I might have been unclear, but it was only that smaller 35T ring gear that did not work. The aluminum spool and Kulak ring gear (38T) should work fine with either the traxxas pinion gear or the stock one.
The AR60 Jr axles was more a "successful distraction", but I plan to complete the spool idea too. If not it would be a nice light option to go with the AR60 Jr front axle. I am even thinking of ordering a stainless steel rod to make a more durable version of the spool for the front axle. It is starting to feel like I will end up with two sets of MRC axles when I am done... a set of modded MRC axles and a set of AR60 Jr axles

If any vendor here on the forum with a blue star wants to start offering spools to the MRC to you guys I am more than happy to make a small drawing on the one I made and send it to him/her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullas1022 View Post
These look like they would be indestructible on a mini. By the way how did you get those cuts so clean on the axle tubes?
I have an old vice with a v cut in one of the clamps. I mount the axle in the v to keep it perpendicular to the vice sides. Then I use a hacksaw with fine tooth and that is really sharp and follow the side of the vice to get a nice straight cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Just silly stuff! I love it man! Your builds are always so off the wall, yet very inspiring to me.

Keep it up. Always entertaining to see what you will come up with next
Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Make the spool in stainless and sell me 6 of them already... The HSP/Exceed ring gear is a very nice piece. Made of sintered iron, it has a better finish in the teeth than the Losi gears, which seem to be cast. Also worth noting, the Traxxas gear is an even better match with the HSP/Exceed ring gear than the Losi. NitroRCX sells the ring gears for cheap with a plastic locker included.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

this is a spectacular build keep up the amazing work
-steve
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Freaking sweet!

All of these ideas are awesome.

The lockouts made my wallet mysteriously fly out of my pocket...
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Awesome I hope this works out I need quality parts for my build

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

my wallet just started weeping uncontrollably
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #77
RCC Addict

must be a long winter this year
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking models mate!
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #79
Rock Stacker

looks great keep up the amazing and inovative work
-steve
Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Well....... ClassiCutCustoms has cut the first prototype carbon version of the Mini Pitbull. Tobias has worked hard on this project and I am sending him a variety of different configurations to try. If all goes well it will be put into production very soon.

ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravpnir tries to build something small - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 88 08-03-2014 02:58 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM
small build irollgen4s Axial Wraith 1 12-05-2011 08:49 PM
Anyone build a small lathe? colonel Tools, and Procedures 16 01-17-2010 05:52 PM