Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 89redranger's MRC Pro build/rebuild for 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #81
RCC Addict

I do, but I'm quickly acquiring costs that I can't afford. If I would've known this was such a PITA I would've gone the Wraith/XR route. Getting real tired of cutting up brand new parts, when I went this route to avoid that. It's going in a box for a while before I get out the hammer.

Sent from my SCH-I535
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #82
RCC Addict

As a side note, I did get some AWESOME news a few minutes ago. cboggs contacted me with a brand new unused Infectious topper! Been searching for one for a while, finally found one. So stoked, and made my day!

To top it off, I have a used Infectious topper coming from moes670 when he does my links. Quickly building parts for a second build. Finally, a loaner rig to suck more guys in!

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #83
5th D Owner/Driver

Default Re: 89redranger's MRC Pro build/rebuild for 2014

Here's some pics of the topper for you.

cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Thank you sir! As I said, you made my day.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

On the knuckle wheight problem: Know the freling, spending alot of cash on unfinished products sucks!
But apparently thats the way som guys in RC do their stuff!

Is there any way so move the wheights out a bit? Shims or something?
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #86
RCC Addict

I don't believe it's a problem with the product. Erik most likely designed these to be as heavy as possible, leaving final fitment up to the consumer. I really just wish there would have been better documentation on this stuff. Out of about 20 build threads using these parts, I had to dig for bits and pieces of info because nobody has documented it beginning to end. No fault to Erik, these are a VERY well designed product. Just giving me a little grief. I'll park it for a few days till my topper shows up, and work off that with new motivation.

As far as moving the weight out further, I can't or it will start getting into the backs of my wheels or SLW hubs. Who knows, maybe the brass will take a little trip with the shafts to the machinist...
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Ill look thru my "wanting a winner.. mrc thread" and see what I had goon on with my lcc mod and get back to ya. I remember it bein tight as well.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Lol, I'm looking through it on the computer now. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #89
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The weights were obviously designed for the LCC. Its been awhile since I made those and my brain has gone up in smoke more than once since then but, I am pretty sure I would have just designed them to fit around the stock LCC "rod ends".

Problem is that youre using LNC stuff. I would guess you could cut the ends off, drill them out for M3 or whatever your using and be good. If you wanted to run the LCC ends, you can buy some LOSA1522

I could have sworn people were using standard rod ends doing this mod. Its just been so long since I dealt with it and I dont have any cars or parts here to double check the options, sorry. I am pretty sure I always just used the LCC ends, the 1522 as I kinda liked the setup.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #90
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
The weights were obviously designed for the LCC. Its been awhile since I made those and my brain has gone up in smoke more than once since then but, I am pretty sure I would have just designed them to fit around the stock LCC "rod ends".

Problem is that youre using LNC stuff. I would guess you could cut the ends off, drill them out for M3 or whatever your using and be good. If you wanted to run the LCC ends, you can buy some LOSA1522

I could have sworn people were using standard rod ends doing this mod. Its just been so long since I dealt with it and I dont have any cars or parts here to double check the options, sorry. I am pretty sure I always just used the LCC ends, the 1522 as I kinda liked the setup.
I still got your stuff, CC rod ends work fine. Funny you posted here as I was just thinking of selling that CC 1.9 you built.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Erik! I actually don't want to use the LNC ends either. I was just using them to demonstrate how close the weights are. I was hoping to use a standard straight rod end. I guess I'll send the knuckle weights to the machinist with my shafts and have a small radius cut in that corner. I don't really know what else to do, as the LNC/LCC ends won't work with as much caster as I'm running. Like I said, I'll park it till the topper shows up, and get back to it then.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:32 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

I really didn't mean to talk negative about Erik or any one else!

Just that when you read up on things and decide what to buy, when the parts arrive you realized the new fancy parts need to be hacked up :/
Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #93
RCC Addict

I know what you mean man. I don't think anybody took it offensively. We've all been through it, and some parts just work out that way. As frustrated as I am myself, I understand that the knuckle weights were designed around the use of LCC parts. If I'm not using those LCC parts, I may have a little modding to do. In reality, even a mad scientist/machinist like Erik can't design this stuff to fit EVERY one of our setups perfectly. As I said in the first place, no fault to Erik, I'm doing something wrong. That "something" is me using Axial rod ends where LCC stuff is supposed to be.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #94
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
I still got your stuff, CC rod ends work fine. Funny you posted here as I was just thinking of selling that CC 1.9 you built.
I thought about that thing the other day since there has been so much action in the 1.9 section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliB View Post
I really didn't mean to talk negative about Erik or any one else!
I didnt take it negatively until you just posted this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I know what you mean man. I don't think anybody took it offensively. We've all been through it, and some parts just work out that way. As frustrated as I am myself, I understand that the knuckle weights were designed around the use of LCC parts. If I'm not using those LCC parts, I may have a little modding to do. In reality, even a mad scientist/machinist like Erik can't design this stuff to fit EVERY one of our setups perfectly. As I said in the first place, no fault to Erik, I'm doing something wrong. That "something" is me using Axial rod ends where LCC stuff is supposed to be.
Yep, exactly. There are a million things that can change even if it were on an LCC. Unless youre putting the part on a stock LCC and having problems, thats about where the custom part comes in.

You could say, "Why not make them to just fit Revo ends?"

That would be a great question and today I would have designed the weights to work with them but.... these weights were designed Nov 2010. Think about how much times have changed since then! Revo rod ends nor TI links were really used on the LCC for steering. We all pretty much just used stockish type stuff as thats what we knew. In fact, its been so long that they were designed that they are now officially out of date! I think these were the 2nd to last set that I have and I dont plan on making more.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didnt take it negatively until you just posted this

Sorry!
Maybe I should just shut up!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Problem solved with a little file work on the knuckle weights. Really didn't have to take much off them. Just need to anchor the DLux adapters now, cut and turn the shafts down, and put it all together again for final assembly.

And of course, Tapatalk is acting up and won't let me upload pics...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Finally!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #98
RCC Addict

A few more with wheels. Getting there. Still need a lot, but getting steps closer by the day. At this point I have the shock towers flipped and body mounts removed in anticipation of the Infectious topper.

Narrowed Axial Walker Evans glue-ons. Basically just cut the outer bead off, using the inner bead as the new outer, drill new vents further in, and glue your tires on with rubberized CA while holding the bead against the now single inside bead on the wheel. Track width with stock LCC hex is 7 3/8". Further modding for a .225 SLW should push me out to just over 7.5". I've always done pretty good with a narrow rig, so I'll leave it for now.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Good idea on the glue-on narrow job. I'll remember that if I run some non-beadlocks in the future. Couldn't get much easier than that.

Have you thought about shaving the sidewalls of those Rock Claws?

Not sure what you run on, but it seems that the side lugs hurt more than they help when you start driving on the really wild stuff.

It's nice to be able to wiggle a tire along a wall when you just didn't quite make the turn.

Cracks, holes, and corners just seem to swallow or bind down a stock tire. Shaved sidewalls can often escape certain doom with a bit of wiggling the steering, and throttle twitching.

Of course, the obvious advantage of not having the lugs rubbing on the shocks and links.

Just a thought.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #100
RCC Addict

I actually don't think the Claws are staying long. Been looking at other options, and using these for rollers. The same reason they aren't actually glued on yet. This was the only set of wheels I had that clear the knuckle weights, and even then, the narrowing had to happen to keep the steering linkage out of the inside sidewall. For the time being, I can justify hacking up a $5 set of wheels and running the Blue Claws if it comes down to it. I just can't afford to spend $100 on wheels at the moment. I'll get it rolling, running, and tuned, THEN deal with more permanent tires and wheels.

89redranger's MRC Pro build/rebuild for 2014 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My MRC PRO Build! kwonchoba Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 54 05-27-2014 07:15 PM
The Violators 2014 and beyond rebuild...... The Violator EnRoute Berg 51 10-08-2013 07:23 PM
89redranger's MRC Pro Spring Rebuild 89redranger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 15 08-31-2012 10:26 PM
mrc pro build - again bikeboy Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 09-03-2011 08:39 AM
Nluv's 1.9 DarkSoul MRC Build/Rebuild Brandon Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 41 06-01-2009 12:50 AM