Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ECX Barrage upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ECX Barrage upgrades

Just picked up my first micro scale crawler and am looking for some better low speed crawling performance out of it so I have some questions. What ESC and motor options do I have for this little truck? I'd like to run small 2S lipos but want an ESC with lipo cut off. Hobbyking 10A maybe?

What size motor is in it? Any sensored brushless options for good crawl-ability? Or maybe higher turn brushed motors to slow it down a bit.

I also plan to install my Futaba receiver to use a normal transmitter if possible

Are the tires and wheels 1.0"? I'd like to pick up some knobbier treaded tires for it but with how low I've made the truck, I can't put too big of tires on.
Attached Images

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ECX Barrage upgrades

Tires are 1" just like all the popular micro crawlers from Losi Micro crawler, Trail Trekker, ECX Temper, the clone version the FTX Outback (comes with super swampers) The REELY/Redcat Sumo crawler, the clone version from HBX has different wheels and tires, but has the same 7mm hex or pin as everything else. You can also get wheels from Rc4wd, the mini Gelande 2, GearHead on RPPhobby.com, and http://lynxmicrotech.com which is Jim Frye from the Facebook Micro crawler group and Fungi on here. He also has a shape ways store. https://www.shapeways.com/product/7Z...ionId=62362919

All the 1.0 tires from RC4WD, The Losi Micro, Trail Trekker,Proline Ambush, and and Redcat Sumo should fit fine.

As far as the ESC, the Tekin B1r is very nice& tiny, but for the same or less $ I think the best ESC is the Castle micro sidewinder. New they are $50-$60, but you can get them for about $35-$40 used if you're patient. The castle micro is great because you can adjust all the same settings as the larger castle and really dial in your low speed control.
The. Micro castle ESCs will also do both brushed and brushless

For a non adjustable ESC the Xys-BL20a is very tiny and very inexpensive. Usually less than $10 shipped. It's a 20amp esc. There's also a 10amp version that's a bit smaller and a few dollars less. For either version there's one "with brake" and "without brake" they both have brakes, but the one listed as "without brake" has instant reverse which is great for crawling. "With brake" has a reverse delay. you'll have to pull the trigger back to stop, then release and pull back again "double tap" for reverse. Like a typical car ESC

The EcX motors should be a direct swap for a losi micro crawler,trekker, Micro T, Micro High Roller SCT, or rally all have the same motor. They are also able to be rewound by Dan Tyron aka Danally
He can give you a motor that has lower speed, more torque, Better low end control and cooler temps.
Unfortunately only the losi versions or "atomic bb" can be rewound by Dan and both are discontinued so hard to find.
If you're able to make a new motor plate or modify the factory mount you can install a larger 130 motor that was a common size in the Xmod,mini z, and micro Rs4. That mod is commonly called "the 130 big block"

You can also use pinions for the losi micro and gear down to a 10t or even 9t if you slot the motor mount holes. Brass pinions recommend.
The spur teeth also match with the losi micro, but I'm not sure if the spurs mount the same. I'll find out when mine gets here.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sweet! Just ordered a set of RC4wd steel bead locks, a set of 1.0 Rock Crushers and a Sidewinder Micro V2! Next up are some lipos, smaller pinion gears and install my Futaba receiver. Stoked to get this thing working better.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #4

These trucks are showing up in CA already? Hopefully that means my LHS will get some soon.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
These trucks are showing up in CA already? Hopefully that means my LHS will get some soon.
Yup I stopped by my local Hobbytown and they had a dozen on the counter, not even on the shelf yet. Wasn’t planning on buying one but the price was right lol
Old 12-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Mine is out for delivery today in New York !

Last edited by Dsss; 12-23-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Dsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

I'm on the east coast, so it'll be another week before they show up here.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My blue one from preorder will be here Thursday. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Bummer first pack just trying it out on carpet

Last edited by Dsss; 12-23-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Dsss,

Oh no, what happened there? Horizon will defo take care of you, but that sucks for sure.
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #11

Yes just noticed it was driving strange and found the driveshaft on the floor. The pin that goes through is so tiny I would imagine that it's the fuse point for this truck. As you can see it's snapped off on one side.

It's a cool little truck but needs some modding out of the box.

The front tires rub the body
There seems to be way too much weight in the rear. It climbs better backwards so far on flat cardboard.
The rear body clips are a pain to get on. Maybe a longer clip will work better.

Otherwise I see potential for some indoor fun.

Last edited by Dsss; 12-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Does the suspension get bound up on these like it did on the Temper? Been thinking about getting one but worried about problems.
Heroesneverquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesneverquit View Post
Does the suspension get bound up on these like it did on the Temper? Been thinking about getting one but worried about problems.
I pulled the springs on mine completely so it would lower the COG a bunch and the suspension moves very nice. It does have a bit of bump steer up front due to the chassis mounted servo and 4 link so I may try to come up with an axle servo mount to eliminate that problem.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsss View Post
Yes just noticed it was driving strange and found the driveshaft on the floor. The pin that goes through is so tiny I would imagine that it's the fuse point for this truck. As you can see it's snapped off on one side.

It's a cool little truck but needs some modding out of the box.

The front tires rub the body
There seems to be way too much weight in the rear. It climbs better backwards so far on flat cardboard.
The rear body clips are a pain to get on. Maybe a longer clip will work better.

Otherwise I see potential for some indoor fun.
I relocated the battery to the front on mine. Its zip tied to the frame behind the front shock hoops but in front of the transmission. Seemed to help a bit with climbing. Also deleted the front bumper since I am going to make my own out of steel rod and that helped a bunch with climbing as well. Trim those fenders! I had to cut out a big section from the back of the fender and a small bit on the front of the fender well and they don't rub anymore.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
I pulled the springs on mine completely so it would lower the COG a bunch and the suspension moves very nice. It does have a bit of bump steer up front due to the chassis mounted servo and 4 link so I may try to come up with an axle servo mount to eliminate that problem.
So your running just shocks no springs?

I just remember on the temper the axles shifting left to right and the links coming in contact with the shocks way before they bottomed out.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So your running just shocks no springs?

I just remember on the temper the axles shifting left to right and the links coming in contact with the shocks way before they bottomed out.
Just "shocks" haha. They don't absorb anything since there isn't any oil in them. They are really just so the suspension doesn't droop out too far. The only interference I see is the drag link from the servo to the driver side wheel hitting the frame when flexed out or at full bump, the servo horn touches the tie rod at the same time too. Once I figure out how to axle mount the servo it will use all of the shock travel
Old 12-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Just checked picture. You could probably sand/file down on that arm if its a solid plastic part. If not I could see making a metal version. Cut off the existing plastic mount portion. Drill maybe 3/16inch holes in them and then reconnect them with a bent 3/16in rod. It could work and then you could retain the scaleness of having the servo be chassis mounted. I mean you know... in theory.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just checked picture. You could probably sand/file down on that arm if its a solid plastic part. If not I could see making a metal version. Cut off the existing plastic mount portion. Drill maybe 3/16inch holes in them and then reconnect them with a bent 3/16in rod. It could work and then you could retain the scaleness of having the servo be chassis mounted. I mean you know... in theory.
Yeah once I'm done messing with my steel tube Bomber chassis I'll mess with the micro Ideally I'd like to get rid of one of the uppers and make a panhard that matches the angle of the drag link to eliminate bump steer. With the 4 link and chassis mounted servo it does have bump steer. Hardly noticeable in a tiny rig but you can cycle the suspension up and down and watch the tires turn...
Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

One of the upper what? Suspension links? Just curious. Im pretty new to RCs so.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Hi guys,

There are 2 guys on YouTube with really good videos about running and modding these already. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aQ6dNvluTnHfbj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPdlgcLzx0

Merry Christmas,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

ECX Barrage upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best First Upgrades - ECX Barrage Mancub Newbie General 89 05-16-2018 06:44 AM
Ecx barrage trail armor upgrades nerby149 General Scale Talk 3 01-23-2017 12:46 PM
ECX barrage Cpyonker General Crawlers 7 12-21-2016 09:18 PM