Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #41
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnev View Post
So when you use the PunkRC dig switch, do you just leave the throttle spot on the receiver empty? I don't have any of the parts yet, but I'm trying to fiugre out how to wire everything. The dig switch goes into the aux/3rd channel port on the receiver, and the ESC and motors wire directly into the Punk RC dig switch? I am also assuming a single Mamba Max ESC with two brushed motors should work fine on this setup right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Well, I do not have the punk just yet, but i have looked it over a million times. Basically you solder the rear motor on, the esc motor wires, and the front motor wires on. Then you plug the dig into the Aux, or 3rd channel port in your receiver. Plug the esc in the channel 2, or throttle, bec in batt port, and steering into the first channel.

Guys, im headed to the lake for the weekend so post up your questions and im sure someone that knows the answer will help out, or i will get you when i get back. Cya1
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

How could I forget about the ESC plug? Thanks a lot for the help. Really appreciate it. ;)
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnev View Post
How could I forget about the ESC plug? Thanks a lot for the help. Really appreciate it. ;)
No problem buddy
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #44

O.k. !

You want newbie questions, I have a full bag. Here is one:

Is there an all around agreement as to which is better for crawling ; brushes motor or brushless ?
Marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #45
WOOPOOW!!

I am actually not sure on that one. I have never had brushless in a crawler, always had good luck with brushed motors
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
O.k. !

You want newbie questions, I have a full bag. Here is one:

Is there an all around agreement as to which is better for crawling ; brushes motor or brushless ?
In crawling you definitely want brushed for the better slow speed control. You could get by with brushless in a Scale truck but for Comp crawling brushed is best.

Brushless in a Berg would also require 2 ESC's if you decide to go that route.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #47
WOOPOOW!!

There ya go buddy! Thanks for clearing it up Ryan
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #48

Thanks for the quick answer guys.

Another one : I'm trying my best to figure out what a dig is and came to the conclusion that it is a device, either electronic or mechanical that stop the truck from moving when you let off the throttle on steep incline.

I'm I right or completely out to lunch?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #49
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer guys.

Another one : I'm trying my best to figure out what a dig is and came to the conclusion that it is a device, either electronic or mechanical that stop the truck from moving when you let off the throttle on steep incline.

I'm I right or completely out to lunch?
Yeah dude you got it completely wrong :-P but thats what this thread was for!

Dig, or "burn" Refers to locking either the front or rear tires on your truck. Front dig is used to either climb steep climbs, or steep down crawls, or to turn left or right sharply. Rear dig helps position the rear of the truck while up against something, or when you need your truck to straighten up.

Now what your thinking of is Drag break. That is what keeps your wheels locked when you let off the throttle.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
Yeah dude you got it completely wrong
Shame on me :?

So I guess the idea is to find the ESC that has the strongest holding drag brake then ? Right ?

And about the dig, I think you meant to lock the diff action as oppose to lock the wheels from turning, no...........
Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #51
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Shame on me :?

So I guess the idea is to find the ESC that has the strongest holding drag brake then ? Right ?

And about the dig, I think you meant to lock the diff action as oppose to lock the wheels from turning, no...........
hey man dont sweat it. We were all newbs at one time and we didnt know what any of this stuff meant.
and yes, an esc like the Tekin FXR has amazing drag break.

Well, on a shaft driven rig with a dig unit you are locking the rear driveshaft to keep the rear diff from spinning, but essentially you want it to lock the wheels. On a berg, you are shorting the motor out from working, and just using the motors break to lock the rear, or front end
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #52

Then I don't get it. :-(

You're telling me, if I correctly understand, that sometime, let's take the steep climb example, you completely lock the front wheels, So the rear motor, on top of fighting gravity to get the truck up, will have to fight friction caused by the front wheels screaching the rock surface while pushing the truck up?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #53
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Then I don't get it. :-(

You're telling me, if I correctly understand, that sometime, let's take the steep climb example, you completely lock the front wheels, So the rear motor, on top of fighting gravity to get the truck up, will have to fight friction caused by the front wheels screaching the rock surface while pushing the truck up?
lol, no. Front dig locks the rear wheels, rear dig locks the front wheels. On a steep climb you lock the rear wheels so the front will drag the rear up, so the pressure from the rear wheels spinning will not flip you over. Locking the rear wheels while breaking over a down hill will drag them down the slope so the motion of the rear wheels will not flip you over.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #54
WOOPOOW!!

Watch this awesome video of Greg Sinclair (86jeep) as he goes through this course with his mantis and watch when the rear wheels and front wheels lock. remember, when the rear locks, its front dig, when the front locks, its rear dig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnND53H_0kU
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #55

Oh I think I'm slowly getting it thanks to the video.

Man the soundtrack of this video gets seriously on my nerves, holy ****.

Tomorrow I'll read the whole thread again I think cause one post talks about electrical vs mecanical dig and I want to clarify that (the pros and cons).

Thank you very much ColbyTheKid for your help so far.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #56
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Oh I think I'm slowly getting it thanks to the video.

Man the soundtrack of this video gets seriously on my nerves, holy ****.

Tomorrow I'll read the whole thread again I think cause one post talks about electrical vs mecanical dig and I want to clarify that (the pros and cons).

Thank you very much ColbyTheKid for your help so far.
hah yeah that does kind of get annoying. But no problem man thats what this thread is for, and thats what Im trying to do!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #57

Just read it again.

Ok.

There is mechanical dig, electronic dig and dig switches.

What is the dig switch function ? Is it stand alone or it works in conjunction with either the mechanical or electronic dig ?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #58
WOOPOOW!!

Im not really sure what your asking, but what I think what your trying to say is what does the dig switches do?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just read it again.

Ok.

There is mechanical dig, electronic dig and dig switches.

What is the dig switch function ? Is it stand alone or it works in conjunction with either the mechanical or electronic dig ?
The dig switches are actuated by a servo, commonly a micro servo like a HS-55.

Last edited by Calicrawler23; 07-01-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #60
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicrawler23 View Post
For berg, there is only 2 types of dig. Electronic dig (Punk Rc unit), and dig switches. The dig switches are actuated by a servo, commonly a micro servo like a HS-55.
your actually wrong there bud. Theres three.. dual ESC, punk dig, and dig switches.

Basically the dual esc shorts either motor out when engaging either dig.
Dig switches short out the motors when pressing one of the switches. Press the front switch, it shorts the front, press the rear switch and it shorts the rear.
The punk dig is basically like running dual esc's, just in a small unit you solder your motors and esc to, with just 1 esc

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?