Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to rc crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #161

Default Re: new to rc crawler

Hows it going from california! New to RC crawling. I have an scx10 honcho with 1.9 xxl super swamper tsls and some tire weights. no other upgrades besides that! I am a big fan of crawling in real life but money tends to be an issue. working and going to college full time is somewhat expensive and time consuming. Hoping I can satisfy the itch with scale-ish rc stuff for a little cheaper. Sorry I tend to be long winded
Project_Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #162

Hey everyone I'm new to rc crawling and I was looking for a kit that is durable and is a good starting platform for future upgrades. I found the Frankenstein 1/8 Super Bully 65:1 ARTR Kit. Is this kit a good start?
Jordan128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #163

Hello, I hope this forum could help me choose a crawler or a competition crawler for that matter ; I ha been looking over the world wide web for a lot for possible options to start into crawling. Most of the time I end up with a crawler that's too expensive and has lots of modifications thus ending up with more cash to spend, or I spot a crawler that's still pricey but still doesn't fall on the performance I want. I was also opting to get a competition crawler kit but the draw back that I often experience is most of the comp kits that I would want is either DISCONTINUED Or It's parts are hard to find already. I want to start with RC rock crawling but I don't know what rig or brand to buy. I want to start with a crawler that would help me start practicing for competition crawling. I really want to join competitions later on for Rock Crawling in the near future ; RC Rock Crawling competition not Scale RC Rock Crawling.
I hope any one out there could give or share his thoughts on my dilemma of choosing a Rig that's not really Hefty and some thing that I could work my way through.
Looking Forward for your advises.
Thanks
Apo Sayong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #164
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan128 View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to rc crawling and I was looking for a kit that is durable and is a good starting platform for future upgrades. I found the Frankenstein 1/8 Super Bully 65:1 ARTR Kit. Is this kit a good start?
Hmm, I've been in the hobby for a long time. The axial ax10 deadbolt is a good start. There's nothing wrong with that super bully but it will take some serious upgrades. If you're just starting in crawling, get the ax-10 or find a good used xr-10.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardof78557 View Post
Im from Mcallen tx and I'm looking for a trail finder 2 but i can't find the items for sale section
Check out the answers in your other post and you will find what you seek.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #166
Pebble Pounder

Hi All,

Live in Perth Western Australia, been involved in RC off-road for a long time, looking at entering the U4RC world.

Thanks
Marc
Teenracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo Sayong View Post
Hello, I hope this forum could help me choose a crawler or a competition crawler for that matter ; I ha been looking over the world wide web for a lot for possible options to start into crawling. Most of the time I end up with a crawler that's too expensive and has lots of modifications thus ending up with more cash to spend, or I spot a crawler that's still pricey but still doesn't fall on the performance I want. I was also opting to get a competition crawler kit but the draw back that I often experience is most of the comp kits that I would want is either DISCONTINUED Or It's parts are hard to find already. I want to start with RC rock crawling but I don't know what rig or brand to buy. I want to start with a crawler that would help me start practicing for competition crawling. I really want to join competitions later on for Rock Crawling in the near future ; RC Rock Crawling competition not Scale RC Rock Crawling.
I hope any one out there could give or share his thoughts on my dilemma of choosing a Rig that's not really Hefty and some thing that I could work my way through.
Looking Forward for your advises.
Thanks
Goldilocs ... Is that you????

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of reading, and more reading and then some questions and even more reading might get you where you want to be without tasting every porridge and napping in every bed
THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #168
Quarry Creeper

Stopping in to say Hi from Glendive Montana...New to the site...Really new to the RC Crawling stuff. I have had I cant count how many Traxxas stuff, but just recently got a SCX10 Honcho and Falken G6. Been doing tons of reading, and cant believe some of the builds on here.

Anyway. Back to reading lol.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #169

Hi.. I'm from Indonesian I'm new to this site & RC world..
Andi watunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #170

New to crawling. Went to RC4WD ECSC at rose point campground. Loved it. Trying to figure out what kind of rig best to start out with on scale crawling. A leaf spring or coil over shock style suspension best to start with.
Thanks
tinycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #171

Another newbie here. Southwest of Pittsburgh, PA. Just picked up an Axial Yeti for racing around the yard a couple weeks ago. This is my first real RC, other than my trainer plane that hasn't seen the outside of my parents garage since the late 90's.

Still running the Yeti stock, other than adding the (included) spare tire carrier with the correct extra wheel and tire.

So far, I've managed to mangle my spur gear in the first 15 minutes (I think the motor wasn't seated right from the factory) and had to replace it, and I've destroyed both rear hubs (after running 3 batteries through it). Luckily the pack of extra wheels I bought to be able to mount the spare tire came with hubs or I'd be out of luck. Running it on a 25C 3S Lipo, which is maybe a bit much for some of the plastic parts. I just placed an order for the Vanquish hub kit from RPP to hopefully correct this problem.

After talking to a buddy that's into the scale crawlers, etc, I thought it would be fun to get something slow and deliberate, to go along with the crazy Yeti. So...I just bought a (slightly used) GMade R1...still waiting for it in the mail, though I've already managed to give RPP a lot of my money to upgrade some of the failure prone (according to what I've read) stock parts, and to get a radio and reciever. Thankfully the previous owner left a motor, speed control (along with the upgraded driveshafts and link mounts), so I only had to buy the radio, receiver and a 2S Lipo to get it moving. (I'm also looking forward to seeing if the Yeti is a little less insane on a 2S pack.)

I hope to post some pics some pics of the R1 when I get it built up. As far as pics of the Yeti, there are way better ones already on here than what I'd take, but I'll try to get a pic up of the spare tire mount with tire mounted in the Axial subforum.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #172

hi guys im new here on rcc I been on the hobby for 3 years have a custom make ford f250 lariat 4 door and many other rcs im always building new stuff hope to meet lots of cool ppl here cheers
turbof250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #173

total rc newb from socal. picked up a 2 mini crawlers for me and my kid. on the hunt for an axial. still haven't made a decision on which. leaning towards the scx10 or wraith.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #174

i'm new here too

i'm looking at getting a vaterra slickrock 1/18 toy, just now starting the internet searching for info, looking for reviews etc

i tried a losi 1/24 sct and it was too fast for inside my apartment, then looked at traxxas 1/16 e-revo but even with the transmission gear flip, smallest txs pinion & largest spur the drive ratio is about 30 which is more of a hill climber than rock crawler and then saw blurb in rc-car magazine about vaterra having rock crawlers and here i am !!

looks like the losi 1/18 mini rock crawler is not sold from losi anymore, its still on their website, but not from the top/main screen, do internet search & then link works, whatever

my concerns about vaterra are parts & whatnot, i'm definitely not an engineering type, just mostly want to run the thing in my apartment & maybe a little outside. i can probably do the basic maintence LOL but the losi 1/24 was so small i could barely see/hold the thing, i'm hoping this 1/18 vaterra is easier
KnotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #175

New to the site and rc crawling but not the rc world, I used to have a carpet racer in another life. Is there anywhere to purchase an axial scx10 that is not already put together? IMHO half the fun is building it and learning how it ticks before actually driving it
Likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #176

Another newbie here form Portsmouth in deepest, darkest Hampshire UK. Currently building my first rock crawler based on some bits from the Maverick Scout and Strada MT. New to the RC car world but have been messing around with RC boats for a while.
Currently sat at work bored to tears and working out how to get tank steering on a crawler.( motor ,drive shafts for each side with two diff's per end.) Probably a reason no one has this but I am bored
Z750Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #177
I wanna be Dave

I'm new to RC crawling, but not to RC. Our local stadium truck / buggy track closed. I had been looking for something or somewhere to run my associated t4 FT or my b4 FT with no luck. My neighbor invited me and my son to with him and were hooked. I recently bought a scx10 deadbolt for me and a maxstone 16 for my son he's 4 (so he mainly drives dad's stuff). Im a former industrial mechanic (i broke my back)for Waukesha, so back to college for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum, It has guided me through many upgrades from over-driving the fron axle to waterproofing my electronics.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #178

Newb here also
Im about to get an rtr scaler but doesnt know which on to get just yet
Which brought me down here
Maybe someone can help me out

I already have an tf2 static
Have not touch the dirt
Its in a case lol

So guys which rtr for scaler
knightcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #179

G,day G,day!
i'm new, green as grass so i thought i'd introduce myself before i start to quiz the brain trust LOL
my name is Paul, i'm from australia and i've just ordered a Tamiya Bruiser Re Re, i drooled over them as a kid but could never afford one, while visiting a hobby shop for some paint for something completely unrelated i saw a tamiya catalogue and had a flick through it.

saw the Frog, the Sand Scorcher etc which i owned as a kid and then i saw it! the BRUISER..... i just had to have it! as soon as it arrives i'll start putting it together but i want to paint it and make it super sharp, add realism with an MFC and interior details etc so i anticipate much more trawling through threads looking for tips, suggestions and a little help.

I saw there is a guy here who paints bodies and details them up, can someone point him out to me please? i may get mine done by a pro if i can afford it, i'd hate to be looking at mine disappointingly, i am bit OCD which is a curse at times! he he

paul
Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #180

Hi guys! Just picked up a used wraith... Can't wait to start modding!
ShoNuff82 is offline   Reply With Quote