Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Motor and ESC Combo choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Default Motor and ESC Combo choices

I'm new to the rock crawling and I have two Traxxas Slashs, ones 4x4 and the other is 2wd. I am planning to build a SCX10 and I was wondering what type of motor ESC combo I should look at! Brushless or brushed? What size?
burton_riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Motor and ESC Combo choices

Hey man

Hope you're having a good day.

I am actually in the middle of trying to make the same decisions myself. I have lot's of RC's but since this is my first crawler I am also looking for advice on Motor/ESC's.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I would like to share some advice. There are many experienced people on this board who would love to help you but they would probably benefit from more info about what you are looking for in a combo.

What are your priorities: price, speed, maintenance, reliability? What kind of driving do you expect to do: Trailing, comps, underwater, bashing? Anything else you consider important? The perfect combo for someone else may not work at all for you.

I would expect the more info you provide about what you want to do with the truck, the better and faster the answer will start to roll in.

Goodluck on your search.

Star
Starlite033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies, BRXL esc and Torquemaster 35t motor. I run this setup on 3s in most of my rigs.
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you go brushless make sure it's sensored. Look at Holmes hobbies website.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Generally brushed setups are simpler. And cheaper. And don't mind mud and water as much. I think a part of it comes down to, how robust will your rig end up? If it is bulletproofed, or you want to go in that direction go brushless. All the LHS around me carry at least a handful of different brushed motors for crawling. Some of them also carry a few sensored bl motors. If I fry my brushed motor, I can drive 15 mins, and get a cheap axial can or something and continue on. May not be that easy with bl, depending on setup.

What powers your SCX10?
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum and to crawling. There are a variety of factors to consider when making the brushed vs. brushless decision, including preferences for crawling vs. speed, driving style, driving conditions (e.g., mostly dry vs. lots of water & mud). Harley's motor & gearing thread for the Wraith is an excellent starting point:

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Although it's written with a different rig in mind, most of the concepts and many of the recommendations apply equally to the SCX-10.

I run a Tekin ROC 412 3100 kv with a Viper VTX8 on 3s with 56/11 gearing in my G6. I like that setup a lot, because it provides a good combination of low-speed crawling capability and plenty of punch. It also would have chewed through just about all of the stock transmission, drivetrain and suspension pieces. So I built it with lots of mods from the get-go. If that sounds like your cup of tea, great.

If not, definitely go brushed. I have several running mates that use Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound brushed motors on 2s in their SCX-10s. Those rigs crawl very well. They don't have the punch that my ROC 412 has, but that's not necessary in most crawling/trailing environments (it can be fun, but hardly necessary). I run the Holmes Crawlmaster 16t brushed (which is equivalent to a 35t in other motors) in a couple of other rigs and really like it. It's incredibly smooth on the low end and can generate pretty good wheel speed at the top end on 3s. If those options also are beyond what you'd like to spend, there are some reasonable less expensive options.

But I'd start with Harley's write-up, then look at "What powers your SCX-10" sticky (linked above by sdmf), and then feel free to come back with more questions once you've started to narrow it down. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

How about Tenshock sc411 Motor&Hobbywing sct pro.?
Fuamuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm more of a technical driver so I have the HH Torquemaster 35 T & BRXL run on 2s most of the time.
gmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm more of a technical driver so I have the HH Torquemaster 35 T & BRXL run on 2s most of the time. I really like this setup in my SCX10.
gmorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor and ESC Combo choices - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC, Motor Plate and Gear choices... elec-fuyu Axial XR10 4 01-17-2012 07:51 AM
Stock esc motor choices? Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 5 10-10-2011 08:58 PM
ESC & motor choices CMaD Electronics 4 07-05-2011 09:48 PM
TTC ESC & 550 Motor choices ? badgravity Electronics 1 04-19-2011 03:07 PM
LCC motor and esc choices... redswr Team Losi Comp Crawler 28 02-25-2011 09:22 AM