Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Default $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

So, after 3 years of wanting to get a crawler, last week I finally ordered a Bomber kit. The stupid thing didn't even get here yet, and I'm already planning on a second vehicle. My son is my RC buddy, so I want to put together another vehicle so that he can come with me. Because I just poured all of my money into the Bomber, and because I run the "Budget RC" youtube channel, I'm setting a $200 (ish) target goal for the 2nd vehicle, including upgrades to address inherent weaknesses in whatever cheap-assed product I end up choosing. I enjoy trying to bring a cheap vehicle up to par, so that's what this will be.

I wanted to poll the audience to offer up suggestions for the 2nd vehicle. I've got a couple in mind, along with the supporting upgrades. Whether you want to critique those, or suggest something entirely different, I'm all ears!

I'll be doing all of my crawling in southern Vermont & western Massachusetts. I expect the vast majority of our time to be spent on hiking trails, which can get pretty steep, with a combination of rocks and hard packed soil/dirt. I want enough speed for the vehicles to be fun on bigger, flatter mountain trails too. We've got our Stampedes/ECXs for high speed bashing.

First option is the WLToys 10428 Twin Hammers clone. The build would look like this:
$135 for the truck itself, $0 DIY front locker, $0-ish DIY stand up shock tower, $10-20 bell crank swap (I'd like to see if I can fit a T4 setup), remainder goes into tires & foams. My biggest concern with this approach is that if the servo sucks, or when it inevitably burns up, I have to replace all of the electronics except for the motor, so this could potentially put me over budget. The other approach is to keep the stock tires for now and instead, replace the tx/rx, ESC and steering servo with some inexpensive stuff like a Flysky radio, Hobby King brushed ESC (I have one laying around) and something like a Solar D772 servo.

Second option is a Redcat Everest 10. That plan would look like this:
$145 for the truck, $15 for axial lockers, $20 for a faster motor, and maybe go a few bucks over budget for some better tires.

If anybody has some feedback, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

ECX Barrage kit for $180.

It is a kit but all the electronics are included in the box. The kit also has some nice upgrades over the standard RTR Barrage like wider axles, CVDs, improved suspension geometry.

I assume you already have a lipo charger since this would be a 2nd truck so the only upgrade I would get immediately is some batteries. A couple 2S packs around 2200mah would only run $20-25.

All together you get a solid truck with a pretty wide part support network for a few dollars over $200.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I love my everst 10 and it takes a beating it easily keeps up with my wraith some places its better and other places its worse but at a fraction of the price its awsome and i beat the isht out of it i wouldent install the lockers till it breaks tires and shocks are a must i got $20 austar tires some scx10 lockouts and shafts another $20 and and ch3ap $11 drive shafts and a larger pinnion also the axial lockers i installed the rear and left the front and 6 months later its still holding its also my loaner rig for newbies and it geats thrashed almost daily
Also the ever3st gen 7 a scale version of the e10 should be out next month for right around $200
I dont know anything about the wltoys but i want one of there polaris rzr modles but i think they need alot of work to keep them running
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

It is a kit but all the electronics are included in the box. The kit also has some nice upgrades over the standard RTR Barrage like wider axles, CVDs, improved suspension geometry.

I assume you already have a lipo charger since this would be a 2nd truck so the only upgrade I would get immediately is some batteries. A couple 2S packs around 2200mah would only run $20-25.

All together you get a solid truck with a pretty wide part support network for a few dollars over $200.
I looked at the ECX. I'm a big ECX fan. I've got a Circuit, an Amp, and a pair of 2WD Ruckuses in the fleet, but that Barrage doesn't really float my boat. It looks like somebody stretched a 1:18 scale vehicle to try and make a 1:10 scale truck. I'd like to stick to 1:10 scale stuff if possible, and something with at least a 12" (ish) wheelbase. I don't want to end up in a situation where my son's vehicle won't work on the same terrain that suits my Bomber.

I've also got a pile of 5000mah lipos that I run in the majority of my vehicles, along with a couple large 3S 5000mah lipos that I run in my Slashpede. At least for this 2nd vehicle, I'm hoping to get away with being able to run the same 2S batteries that I already have, but still get reasonable vehicle speed (10mph?).
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Also the ever3st gen 7 a scale version of the e10 should be out next month for right around $200
Yeah, that has my attention. It looks perfect. The only concern is that it pretty much uses up the whole budget, so if it needs anything, I'm toast. The other issue is that I'm afraid that the release date might get pushed back, and I won't get it soon enough. Every year on Columbus Day weekend we vacation in a state park in NY that has some great trails & woods that I want to crawl in.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Every year on Columbus Day weekend we vacation in a state park in NY that has some great trails & woods that I want to crawl in.
Just an FYI the operation of model automobiles, IE rc trucks is prohibited in NY state parks, except in designated areas. (of which there are none)

9 NYCRR Section 377.1(b)
The following activities are prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office, except in areas specifically designated therefor, during such hours or seasonal periods specifically authorized and subject to such conditions as may be contained herein.

(b) The engaging in toy or model boating or automobiling.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Is new a must? Have to be a scaler? What scale?
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I looked at the ECX. I'm a big ECX fan. I've got a Circuit, an Amp, and a pair of 2WD Ruckuses in the fleet, but that Barrage doesn't really float my boat. It looks like somebody stretched a 1:18 scale vehicle to try and make a 1:10 scale truck. I'd like to stick to 1:10 scale stuff if possible, and something with at least a 12" (ish) wheelbase. I don't want to end up in a situation where my son's vehicle won't work on the same terrain that suits my Bomber.

I've also got a pile of 5000mah lipos that I run in the majority of my vehicles, along with a couple large 3S 5000mah lipos that I run in my Slashpede. At least for this 2nd vehicle, I'm hoping to get away with being able to run the same 2S batteries that I already have, but still get reasonable vehicle speed (10mph?).

Jim,

For what it's worth the Barrage kit has wider axles than the RTR, and it's the same wheelbase as the 1/10th scale CC01s that have the shorter wheelbase.

It's smaller than an SCX10, but there are still some good body options for it.
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2

Quote:
Even your Bomber would crawl better with some smaller lighter lipos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Just an FYI the operation of model automobiles, IE rc trucks is prohibited in NY state parks, except in designated areas. (of which there are none)

9 NYCRR Section 377.1(b)
The following activities are prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office, except in areas specifically designated therefor, during such hours or seasonal periods specifically authorized and subject to such conditions as may be contained herein.

(b) The engaging in toy or model boating or automobiling.
Geez can't go anywhere or do anything these days....spoilsports.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Geez can't go anywhere or do anything these days....spoilsports.
Someone with a noisy nitro car buzzed around a campground till someone complained about it or something like that.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I love my everst 10 and it takes a beating it easily keeps up with my wraith some places its better and other places its worse but at a fraction of the price its awsome and i beat the isht out of it i wouldent install the lockers till it breaks tires and shocks are a must i got $20 austar tires some scx10 lockouts and shafts another $20 and and ch3ap $11 drive shafts and a larger pinnion also the axial lockers i installed the rear and left the front and 6 months later its still holding its also my loaner rig for newbies and it geats thrashed almost daily
I dont know anything about the wltoys but i want one of there polaris rzr modles but i think they need alot of work to keep them running
The WLToys 1/10 Twin Hammers clones are mechanically identical to the actual twin hammers down to the point some people on Youtube are convinced they are coming out of the same molds with just different electronics.

I'll second the Everest 10, especially if you use Tower 3 pay. 3 months of a bit under $50 for a loose Axial AX10 clone that can pull from the huge sea of axial scx10 based parts out there. And it comes with a flysky based radio set, a quickrun 1040 esc... but that servo needs to go It's probably the only off brand truck that can be modified one piece at a time.. and then eventually become eligable to take to an axialfest.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:

I third this motion.... Just looks fun to build ....

Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I have 2 Everest 10s (one for me and one for my son). They can be turned into very competent crawlers, but I'm not sure you'll get 10 mph out of them on 2S without putting in a pretty low turn motor. Doing this would probably compromise its crawling ability and you might run into heat issues.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I have 2 Everest 10s (one for me and one for my son). They can be turned into very competent crawlers, but I'm not sure you'll get 10 mph out of them on 2S without putting in a pretty low turn motor. Doing this would probably compromise its crawling ability and you might run into heat issues.
How far off is the gearing in one from the gearing in a comparable axial? I would imagine it and an axial ax10 based vehicle (ax10 scx10) with the same motor should go about the same speed. Stock it has a very high turn motor, jumping up to something in the 35ish turn range should liven it up and still be reliable.

Edit: Just went and looked, stock it has the same 2.92:1 axle and 2.60:1 trans ratios that axial uses.

Last edited by clm; 08-17-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

E10, I got one for my uncle for Christmas. He has been flogging it daily since and has only managed to break 2 body posts and a spur gear. Only mod done is a 27 turn silver can.
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Guys is the Everest 10 more "crawler" in stock trim than "trail truck?"

I've been looking to build a more dedicated crawler, and I'm not really even sure where to start. (Don't mean to threadjack, just saw it mentioned so figured I'd ask.)
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
clm
Quarry Creeper

Yes, in stock form it is closer to an Axial AX10 scorpion then the SCX10 trail truck. Swap in a chassis kit and a body and it changes from dedicated crawler to trail truck.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Exceed RC Rock Crawler Radio Car 1/10th Scale 2.4Ghz MaxStone 4WD Powerful Electric Remote Control 100% RTR Ready to Run with Waterproof Electronics the price has dropped a whole lot the last time I was at the website
Old 08-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
clm
Quarry Creeper

Yes I did see the Exceed had a cheaper base price, and Technically it and the HSP are the same truck as the Everest 10. But when you factor in shipping, the Everest 10 at shy of 150 or less with free shipping is still cheaper then the exceed with whatever NitroRCX is charging at the time for shipping. And then if you have issues Tower will try to take care of you.

Edit: Base truck would require $16.25 shipping to 97423 for me at the moment which would take up the total for the base Maxstone 10 to $151.20

Last edited by clm; 08-17-2017 at 04:56 PM.

$200 (all in) budget crawler options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What upgrades would you buy with a $200 budget for a stock yeti? monstersobe Axial Yeti 8 11-12-2014 10:13 AM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
lwarc's budget fj instascaler($200) lwarc Tamiya XC/CC01 50 11-04-2009 05:04 PM