Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #61
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
thanks. I used Dawn soap, warm water and a kitchen semi soft scrub pad. Did the trick.

I'll be testing my building skills soon and referring back to this thread.

Szczerba's Tow Rig

Very nice build Szczerba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod2507 View Post
Big thanks to hoosierdady for the help on filling the old mounting holes on my sons bronco body..I used spot putty and tape on the other side and it looks great..if you wanna take a peek at it , its under the 1.9 section...just look for my name and post..thanks again man..
I'm glad it worked out for you sir. If you need anything else feel free to ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumaro View Post
Good info in this post!
Thanks Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulldiver View Post
Can we get a mod to glue, i mean sticky, this thread?
It has been done. A big thanks to 1badjeepbruiser for making it happen

I also want to add a little trick I learned on my Brute build. When cutting the plastic cages or shock towers that most Axial rigs have (i.e. Wraith, Honcho, Dingo, Ridgecrest, Deadbolt) you can use the Tenax 7R or Bondene to make the raw cut end smooth again. Just brush it on after you've sanded the spot and it will smooth over and have a satin gloss finish to it. It basically takes a raw cut and gives a factory like finish.

I've also used this lately too. Testors clear window glue/maker. I picked up a bottle to do the taillight housings for SuperShafty's F150. It dries clear as can be. Use it to glue clear styrene or repair your cracked windows. Heck, you can even make a window from scratch with the stuff although I recommend using clear styrene instead.

That and clear .20 styrene followed up with some candy red paint is what I used to make these .
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #62
What could go wrong?

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Thanks for this! I just got a boatload of sheet styrene for free, and may attempt to make a body for my scx.
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #63

I have found that Devcon Home super glue for plasic, worked amazing for over lapping and butt joints, it has a psi strength of 3200, and is slightly flexible, i found it at an auto parts store for only $1 and so far seems to be my glue to use
mainetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #64
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainetruckin View Post
I have found that Devcon Home super glue for plasic, worked amazing for over lapping and butt joints, it has a psi strength of 3200, and is slightly flexible, i found it at an auto parts store for only $1 and so far seems to be my glue to use
I'll have to check that out. I went to try and find the PSI strength on the BSI CA that I use and found out alot of cool stuff about them.
Ask The Glue Pros | BSI - Hobby Glues & Adhesives

Q: I was watching the show MythBusters on TV the other night and they demonstrated how all the furniture in a room could be super glued to the ceiling. It looked like they were using BSI's products for this. Is that true?
– R. Smith, Cape Coral, FL

A: Yes, one of our lucky dealers was able to sell a lot of Insta-Cure+ and Insta-Set to the crew at MythBusters. You can see the highlights of the show on their web site by searching "super adhesive." The show also demonstrated that one drop of cyanoacrylate can hold up to 650 lbs and seven drops was able to pick up up a large station wagon. For years BSI's adhesives were considered to be the generic brand, which in a grocery store usually translates to cheaper but not quite as good. Modelers and manufacturers have discovered, however, that BSI is the new standard for excellence.

Q: I would just like to say how pleased I am with the Insta-Flex+ rubberized CA. It is the best tire glue I have used, and I have tried a lot of them.
– J. Bennett, Escanaba, MI and J. O'Quinn, Spring Hill, TN
A: Insta-Flex+ is the clear version of BSI's IC-2000, which has carbon black added to make it the strongest CA available anywhere. IC-2000 can withstand higher temperatures (250ºF) and hold the tires to wheels of vehicles going 100+ mph. It does, however, have a shorter shelf life compared to BSI's other CAs and its black color can make it messy to use. For these reasons, Insta-Flex+ is becoming increasingly popular for use as a tire glue. Its rubber toughened formula gives it a shock resistance that many standard CAs don't have.
Insta-Cure super-thin and Insta-Cure+ gap filling, BSI's best selling CAs, are also popular for R/C vehicles, even though they don't say "tire glue" on their labels. A major manufacturer uses Insta-Cure+ in their production of pre-mounted tires.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #65

if you cant find any want want to try it, let me know i can pick some up and send it to you
mainetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #66

Well, seems I'm on track. I just bobbed my hilux and used CA to hold it back together, then a grip of shoe goo on the inside, and some tamiya putty filler. A lite sand, and it looks so cool I don't even want to paint it! Thanx for the pro advice. Even if I saw it a day late. ;) viva la shoe goo!
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #67
RCC Addict

I just picked up some RC4WD Big Boss fender flares for my TF-2 Mojave body. They recommend gluing them along with using the supplied bolts. Since they're rubber and will be installed on a painted body, I'm not sure what the best type of adhesive to use. Any suggestions?
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
I just picked up some RC4WD Big Boss fender flares for my TF-2 Mojave body. They recommend gluing them along with using the supplied bolts. Since they're rubber and will be installed on a painted body, I'm not sure what the best type of adhesive to use. Any suggestions?
Probably the Shoe Goo. It is flexible to move with the rubber a bit, but holds strong to the painted surface also.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #69
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
Probably the Shoe Goo. It is flexible to move with the rubber a bit, but holds strong to the painted surface also.
Yup, just a thin coat of ShooGoo with the screws will definately hold them in place .
Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Thanks for the reply, that was my thought too but it doesn't hurt to ask .
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #71

First of all I would like Hoosierdaddy and everybody for the great information here.

I went to my local hobby shop to buy some stuff to try my first scratch build and the guy told me he hasn't received any shipments for the tenax 7R in over a few months. He told me Tamiya's extra thin cement (glass bottle with green cap) works similar to the tenax 7R. Has anybody used this stuff and have any input?

trdmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #72
Fan of wheelspeed

It is not the same thing. That is CA glue, similar to the BSI CA glue that I highly recommend. Tenax7r or Bondene actually melts the styrene instead of glueing it like CA glue does. Both are as thin as water, but that CA glue in thin will be a nightmare for you. It runs everywhere. Be prepared to lose some skin brother. I would order some Plastruct Bondene from RPP or Ebay instead.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

I've lost a lot of finger skin to thin CA. This knowledge share is great, thanks! I have recently tried the Bondene with great results, and less finger peeling
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
It is not the same thing. That is CA glue, similar to the BSI CA glue that I highly recommend. Tenax7r or Bondene actually melts the styrene instead of glueing it like CA glue does. Both are as thin as water, but that CA glue in thin will be a nightmare for you. It runs everywhere. Be prepared to lose some skin brother. I would order some Plastruct Bondene from RPP or Ebay instead.
Ahh, that is good to know. I will be ordering some tenax or bondene online in the near future then. I do have my fair share of losing skin back in my insulation foam built RC airplane days

Thanks again for all the great info. Can't wait to get started on my project
trdmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #75
RCC Addict

This is an awesome write up.I got a 4'x8'x.020 styrene as well as a bottle of Tenax 7r and it does "weld" it together.Made my fenders the other day for my homebuilt stepside.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Actually that Tamiya Extra Thin Cement is not CA but rather similar to Tenax, Bondene or the various other brands that actually melts the plastic and "welds" the two parts together.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

I use blue bottle of Pro SuperGlue plus 3M electrical tape..my buddies and I call it redglassneck'd. Strong as shit

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #78
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Actually that Tamiya Extra Thin Cement is not CA but rather similar to Tenax, Bondene or the various other brands that actually melts the plastic and "welds" the two parts together.
If it's anything like BSI, it is CA glue. It reacts to accelerator which does not affect Tenax 7R or Bondene. Not to mention it will glue your fingers together, which those two bonding agents will not.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #79

Thumbs up Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Wow, wow, wow thanks for all of the great tips and advice guys.
ScaleMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #80

Also guys I thought I'd add something. .I don't have access to tenax or bondene locally and didn't wanna order any for my hilux build. .I ended up trying some medium bodied ABS pipe cement and primer from the plumbing section. I did a test peice first and then went ahead on it..rough up the surfaces prime it and lay it on, wait overnight and your set! This was a much more easily attainable and cheap and worked awesome it's super solid with no reinforcement. I can post build pics if anyone wants them..cheers
58WillysWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boobs, cracks, glue, how to, repair

☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆ Hoosierdady General Scale Talk 13 02-13-2021 10:41 AM
[HOMELESS] HOBBIES HOT[MOG] 1.9 UniMog Build☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆BEEP BEEP MUTHRMOGR ScaleDustin 1.9 Scale Rigs 55 02-22-2013 12:56 PM
HOMELESS HOBBIES Micro Toyota FJ build ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Losi Micro Trail Trekker ScaleDustin Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-21-2013 12:45 PM
The HOMELESS hobbies ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ goodbye 2012 GIVEAWAY ScaleDustin Chit Chat 499 01-02-2013 07:29 PM