Notices

Thread: cbp27's DRX Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: cbp27's DRX Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
WoW! that's nuts, I,ve yet to have mine roll. The Mesh wheel looks good and they come in grey. The only problem I've ran in to with other 2.2 wheels is the off set. JConcepts has some cool ones but, I think they will stick out like crazy. As far as the sticky thread I think it's a great idea! I was also thinking about using the Pro-Line Drit Hawgs but, not the rear ones. The front ones are only 1.38'' wide. The narrower tire would bit but, not to much.
I don't think the rear Dirt Hawgs would be too wide for the DRX if you are using the side guards. I was wondering how the front Dirt Hawgs would work being a little narrower.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
WoW! that's nuts, I,ve yet to have mine roll. The Mesh wheel looks good and they come in grey. The only problem I've ran in to with other 2.2 wheels is the off set. JConcepts has some cool ones but, I think they will stick out like crazy. As far as the sticky thread I think it's a great idea! I was also thinking about using the Pro-Line Drit Hawgs but, not the rear ones. The front ones are only 1.38'' wide. The narrower tire would bit but, not to much.
I'm not sure I'd use those HPI mesh wheels again. The end result looks nice though. You'll have to drill out the center hole to fit the axles, and the stock wheel nuts won't fit. Even my lock nuts from Lowes barely fit and I had to use pliers to tighten them. I'll be using the black DRX wheels next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
I don't think the rear Dirt Hawgs would be too wide for the DRX if you are using the side guards. I was wondering how the front Dirt Hawgs would work being a little narrower.
I was pretty sure someone used the Dirt Hawgs on here. It's buzzbuzzard. They look pretty good.
kyosho updating the drx

Also, Infernosonly.com has the Dirt Hawgs in the DRX tires section.
PRO107100 Pro-Line Dirt Hawg I 2.2” All-Terrain Tire
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
I'm not sure I'd use those HPI mesh wheels again. The end result looks nice though. You'll have to drill out the center hole to fit the axles, and the stock wheel nuts won't fit. Even my lock nuts from Lowes barely fit and I had to use pliers to tighten them.
That's nice to know, they sound like way to much of a PIA. Thanks for the heads up.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

In this video the dirt hawgs are being used. They are great improvement in handling on loose dirt. However, if you watch Between 1:13-1:18 of the video. You can see the wheel well making contact with the tire's sidewall.
To effectivly allow the full travel of the suspension. The wheel well should be trimmed. Not much though, less than 4mm.

buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was pretty sure someone used the Dirt Hawgs on here. It's buzzbuzzard. They look pretty good.
kyosho updating the drx
Yes, but he isn't using the side guards and dust body on his car (at least in the pics).

I think the Dirt Hawgs would rub the side guards and/or dust cover body. I've had my stock tires rub, so I'm sure the wider tires would be even worse.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

No, I do not have the side guards. Yes, The DBX body is what I use for underbody.
The nitro version $23.99. Not the DBX VE $39.99.

Last edited by buzzbuzzard; 11-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbuzzard View Post
No, I do not have the side guards. Yes, The DBX body is what I use for underbody.
The nitro version $23.99. Not the DBX VE $39.99.
How do you mount the underbody without the side guards? Do you have a pic?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally

Page 2 post#25

I like the idea of the side guards as nerf bars. Not to spread out electronic layout.
I like my layouts as close to center as possible.

Last edited by buzzbuzzard; 11-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's nice to know, they sound like way to much of a PIA. Thanks for the heads up.
Glad to help.

Quote:
To effectivly allow the full travel of the suspension. The wheel well should be trimmed. Not much though, less than 4mm.
I'd rather not have to cut the fenders simply for looks, but I guess it doesn't sound that drastic.

Quote:
I think the Dirt Hawgs would rub the side guards and/or dust cover body. I've had my stock tires rub, so I'm sure the wider tires would be even worse.
I used a micro torch and a round tool handle to push in the side guards to clear the tires. You could probably use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the plastic too.

Quote:
I like the idea of the side guards as nerf bars.
I like that idea too. They should definitely help save the body. I added extra foam to my front bumper so it touches the body. And now for some reason I find myself having more head-on collisions lol That tear was from today.

I gave the Road Rage tires a good test today of about 3 5000mah 3S lipos. Outside temps were around 45* and it was windy. These tires are very grippy on asphalt (my main running surface). They almost seem too grippy at some times. I had a handful of traction rolls in cleaner areas, but it landed on all 4 wheels every time. I even had some 2-wheeled driving and inside tire lifting on tight turns. This thing is a blast!

Snapped these shots at the end of the runs.

Curb rash
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I managed to take two short videos. Nothing special though.

Last edited by cbp27; 11-09-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I'm finding that the car understeers quite a bit on tarmac, and with the high grip tires, you can't break the rear end free to make sharp turns. I bet some stiffer shock springs or thicker oil would help with the understeer.

Are you going to do any tuning on your diff and shocks to set it up a little better for tarmac?

I was thinking about putting a narrow strip of electric tape on my Road Rage tires to allow them to break free a little bit.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Looks like you had fun yesterday. Ever swap your motor polarity to solve the double tap forward single tap reverse issue?
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

There is a dude @ RCtech.net in Scale stage rally. That has a second front bumper for the rear. Plus has added foam to side guards. Looks like he shored up his body pretty good. I just don't like all the added mass. Looks good but not for me.

Last edited by buzzbuzzard; 11-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm finding that the car understeers quite a bit on tarmac, and with the high grip tires, you can't break the rear end free to make sharp turns. I bet some stiffer shock springs or thicker oil would help with the understeer.

Are you going to do any tuning on your diff and shocks to set it up a little better for tarmac?

I was thinking about putting a narrow strip of electric tape on my Road Rage tires to allow them to break free a little bit.
It does understeer with the Road Rage tires, which is one thing I don't really like. I was happy with sliding around everywhere on the stock tires. I just want the tires to last longer on tarmac. I added some preload to the springs to help stiffen them up for road use and I think it has helped a little.

I have added 5000k oil in all three diffs along with the extra spider gears, but that's what I started driving with. I might just leave it that way since it's just a basher right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Looks like you had fun yesterday. Ever swap your motor polarity to solve the double tap forward single tap reverse issue?
Other than it being a little chilly I had fun. I haven't switched it yet. lol Actually, I forgot to mention it to you, but when I first got this car the blue and orange motor wires were swapped (blue to orange and orange to blue) so I swapped them to match. Maybe they had to do that so it wasn't backwards?

Quote:
There is a dude @ RCtech.net in Scale stage rally. That has a second front bumper for the rear. Plus has added foam to side guards. Looks like he shored up his body pretty good.
The foam bumper in the rear sounds a little silly but with the price of these bodies, any protection helps. That's why added the extra foam to the front. I may add some to the side guards as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
I haven't switched it yet. lol Actually, I forgot to mention it to you, but when I first got this car the blue and orange motor wires were swapped (blue to orange and orange to blue) so I swapped them to match. Maybe they had to do that so it wasn't backwards?
Exactly
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
The foam bumper in the rear sounds a little silly but with the price of these bodies, any protection helps.
I slammed in to a curb while sliding backwards so hard it ripped my motor mount and batt try out. I might try adding something to the rear of mine.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I slammed in to a curb while sliding backwards so hard it ripped my motor mount and batt try out. I might try adding something to the rear of mine.

Side impact protection isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by Stburr91; 11-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yikes! Sounds like a good idea.

Quote:

Side impact protection isn't a bad idea.
Haha yeah a little foam will help.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Finally have some snow on the ground so I'm getting the DRX prepped for winter driving. The Pro-Line tires are for on-road only and my original Kyosho tires are bald. Ordered a new set of wheels, tires, and an MP9 underbody to keep out the snow. I'll probably coat the electronics in some Plasti-Dip as a backup. I just hope with these cold temps the body doesn't shatter on impact lol
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Finally have some snow on the ground so I'm getting the DRX prepped for winter driving. The Pro-Line tires are for on-road only and my original Kyosho tires are bald. Ordered a new set of wheels, tires, and an MP9 underbody to keep out the snow. I'll probably coat the electronics in some Plasti-Dip as a backup. I just hope with these cold temps the body doesn't shatter on impact lol
I don't think I would coat the stock ESC with plasti-dip, it tends to over heat as it is.

cbp27's DRX Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cbp27's Defender 90 Build cbp27 1.5 Scale Rigs 293 02-02-2014 04:03 PM
kyosho updating the drx foproy Rally 31 11-29-2012 09:38 PM
cbp27's Class 3 JK Build cbp27 2.2 Scale Rigs 132 11-15-2012 12:06 PM
Micky's DRX VE mickyteng Rally 5 11-13-2012 04:11 PM
drx out of the box coolair Rally 9 08-12-2012 12:26 PM