Notices

Thread: cbp27's DRX Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: cbp27's DRX Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
I don't think I would coat the stock ESC with plasti-dip, it tends to over heat as it is.
Mine never overheats. Especially with the cold temps it should stay cool too. But maybe you're talking about when I add the inner body? I wish it was their waterproof version.

I was going to coat that tiny heat-shrink wrapped electronic board next to the ESC first. I'll take a closer look at the ESC and maybe I'll crack it open to coat with Plasti-Dip.

It doesn't seem like any other DRX owners are running right now though. Just too cold?
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #62
Gettin’ back on the horse

I ran mine the other day in the mud and before that I ran it in hard pack and slushy snow. The underbody and side guards keep everything out, so unless you are running in deep puddles there is no reason to waterproof the electronics.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I ran mine the other day in the mud and before that I ran it in hard pack and slushy snow. The underbody and side guards keep everything out, so unless you are running in deep puddles there is no reason to waterproof the electronics.
Sweet! Aren't you using the Mamba Max? Is that water resistant?

We got another light dusting of snow and I couldn't wait for the underbody to arrive any longer...

Daylight was quickly fading

After about 1 5000mah 3S lipo... It still works!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Sweet! Aren't you using the Mamba Max? Is that water resistant?

Yeah Mamba Max Pro, not sure if it has any water resistance, every time I dunk them in water they stop working.

If it means anything it is still the original MM pro that I put in the car a year ago. I am also using a 6 channel 4pl receiver that has zero resistance to water, the second it sees water it glitches, but with the underbody and side guards I have not had any issues.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #65

Good idea to cool the motor with snow
How did you get the snow out after run?

Does your ESC make a terrible noise, too? Or is mine just damaged?
a_guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah Mamba Max Pro, not sure if it has any water resistance, every time I dunk them in water they stop working.

If it means anything it is still the original MM pro that I put in the car a year ago. I am also using a 6 channel 4pl receiver that has zero resistance to water, the second it sees water it glitches, but with the underbody and side guards I have not had any issues.
lol Sounds good. Although my side guards aren't sealed along the chassis completely. Guess I'll just have to test it out when I get the underbody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guest View Post
Good idea to cool the motor with snow
How did you get the snow out after run?

Does your ESC make a terrible noise, too? Or is mine just damaged?
Haha yeah. During the fall my motor was getting hot, so I got those fans for it. But I also dropped a pinion gear size which helped keep the motor cool also. To get the snow out I just flipped it upside down and gave it a few taps on the garage floor. Then I used and old toothbrush and my fingers to get the rest out. I let it sit in front of the stove a few hours to dry completely.

Terrible noise from the ESC? Like beeping? The fan on top of it makes some funny noises when starting up. Its wires get stuck underneath so I have to move them around to free the blades.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

thats awesome clay, i still kick myself for letting my rally car go.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #68

Quote:
Terrible noise from the ESC? Like beeping? The fan on top of it makes some funny noises when starting up. Its wires get stuck underneath so I have to move them around to free the blades.
First time i switched it on, the fan started and went to something like max power and made a terrible noise so I just switched it off But there are no wires in it, it can spin freely. But maybe it's just me, who didnt hear such a loud fan, yet.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #69

Quote:
First time i switched it on, the fan started and went to something like max power and made a terrible noise so I just switched it off But there are no wires in it, it can spin freely. But maybe it's just me, who didnt hear such a loud fan, yet.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
thats awesome clay, i still kick myself for letting my rally car go.

Thanks Marc. What rally car did you have?

New parts came in today. Amain had good prices, but only gold wheels in stock, so they were given a quick spray with black Kyrlon Fusion. Foams were taken from the stock wheels and a JConcepts body was fitted. I made two aluminum tabs to help support the inner body. Just need to figure out how to push the rear corners of it inward to clear the tires and add some Velcro®.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Time to let this one go...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...9th-scale.html
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #72

Why?!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why?!
lol Don't worry, I still love this car. It's getting kind of lonely being the only one around with one so I'm thinking of trying something else. My r/c budget only allows for 2 rigs at a time, so I have to sell one to buy one. Once I get a real job (college student) I'll be able to pick one up again.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

I thought I would try the Exo Terra but realized the DRX was too much fun to pass up. Gave it some nice upgrades. Pro-Line Powerstrokes (rears) are in all 4 corners, fresh Kyosho wheels/tires mounted, inner body is fitted, and a Mamba Max Pro SCT 2400kv combo for power. Also picked up a MadDogRC Double 4" light bar and fitted it into an Exo light bar guard. Tonight was the perfect time for a test run with a snow storm. The light bar is awesome and MMP setup feels a lot smoother than the Orion system. The underbody kept out most of the snow. I'll post some closeups of the light bar setup once it dries off.

A good evening of testing...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #75

Awesome! The Exo would have a hard time looking as good as the DRX in the snow. Light snow on tarmac is my favorite thing to drive my DRX on. Looks like it kept you busy for a while.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Awesome! The Exo would have a hard time looking as good as the DRX in the snow. Light snow on tarmac is my favorite thing to drive my DRX on. Looks like it kept you busy for a while.
Haha I'm glad I kept it. Light snow definitely is fun. The only problem I had was the snow kept building up on the chassis and would eventually weigh it down too much to drive, but a good shake of the car solved that.

Here's a good shot with the new light bar from yesterday. It's not exactly the right scale, but it's mainly for functionality.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #77

Looks like it will do the job! Next time you do a snow or mud run try soaking everything in wb-40 before you start should help keep the snow from sticking to everything.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks like it will do the job! Next time you do a snow or mud run try soaking everything in wb-40 before you start should help keep the snow from sticking to everything.
Thanks for the tip Ty. I ordered some CorrosionX to dip my MMP and receiver in. If I do it right, I won't have to worry about water or mud again lol

Decided to finally throw on an exhaust tip. Just some aluminum tubing attached to an aluminum tab all Gooped to the body.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

The DRX is still alive and well.

I can't believe how much abuse this thing can take. I've flipped, rolled, smashed, and bashed it so much and the the only damaged part is a dog bone, other than the body and tires.

Replacement is on the right. Definitely thicker.

This car has a lot of grip on the tarmac, which causes a lot of rollovers, so I got the swaybar kits for front and rear.

And this is in the works for when the Fiesta body is retired.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #80

I'm glad to see you got some use out your Fiesta body. Mine must have just been a bad one...

Refresher

cbp27's DRX Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cbp27's Defender 90 Build cbp27 1.5 Scale Rigs 293 02-02-2014 04:03 PM
kyosho updating the drx foproy Rally 31 11-29-2012 09:38 PM
cbp27's Class 3 JK Build cbp27 2.2 Scale Rigs 132 11-15-2012 12:06 PM
Micky's DRX VE mickyteng Rally 5 11-13-2012 04:11 PM
drx out of the box coolair Rally 9 08-12-2012 12:26 PM