Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: RC4wd's ROCKER DIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

I was going to ask one more question. I am having some punk dig units made with Deans Plugs onboard, so you just plug in and go. Is there any interest in something like this? I am mainly doing it for a few guy's who've requested it.
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Ordered mine April 30th and it shipped May 11th (it was in stock the day I ordered it, never found RC4WD great at processing orders though ) so waiting for it to hit the shores of Blighty - about 7-10 days, and then i'll be able to compare to the Punk Unit I have.
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRC View Post
I was going to ask one more question. I am having some punk dig units made with Deans Plugs onboard, so you just plug in and go. Is there any interest in something like this? I am mainly doing it for a few guy's who've requested it.
Any photos of this set up?
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRC View Post
Id'a loved that actually....The only thing I was sketched out about was soldering to the board!I pulled it off,but deans woulda been kickass.
Speed Metal Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #65

Ya, glad to hear that it is working well, I have to get one to try out now
Yugiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Had our comp yesterday and got to try the RC4WD dig out when it counts. What I discovered is that my Sidewinder has way less drag brake than I realized. Evidently the way the Punk dig shorts the motors when engaged, you still get a solid hook up so you can turn on a dime. The RC4WD unit, however, appears to rely more on your esc's drag break holding it in place. There were a couple of times when I was able to dig uphill because of this, and it really helped, but 90% of the time (at least on yesterday's courses) I drove right past gates and had to take reverse penalties because my dig wouldn't hold hard enough and allowed my truck to be drug around by the front tires. Timed out on one course because of it, and took a gate and an out of bounds on another course because of it. Went from a 2nd place finish at our last comp to a 9th place finish yesterday. Only change in the truck was the dig unit. Sooooo, in my non-professional opinion, I say if you have a good esc with good drag brake, go for the RC4WD unit. If you have a weak-a$$ed Sidewinder drag brake, better stick with the Punk unit. I see a Holmes esc in my very near future!

Last edited by papabash; 05-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

I managed to get a bit of wheeltime today with my new berg fitted out with the Rc4WD rocker.

Had loads of trouble with it, it kept clicking in and out of dig then it finally stopped working alltogether. I tried it in another channel on the RX and it was still the same.

Electric specs as follows

Rooster running 2x35`s, Rc4WD rocker, CC BEC 6 volts, Hitec 40mhz RX, Futaba 4EX-FM, Savox sc-0251.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem?

Last edited by igbandy; 05-16-2010 at 03:37 PM.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I received mine on Friday and installed for our final comp of the season on Sunday.

First thing I noticed is if you're one of those guys like me who doesn't need to read instructions but thinks he can figure things out by looking at the pictures (hahaha) you're in trouble. The instructions don't match the diagram shown so don't try it or you could damage your Rocker. I got lucky!

I also noticed as it has been stated by others that there is no real holding power with this unit. I am running an FXR esc, a Ko Propo ex-5ur TX which allows me to adjust my end points to 127% and still have wheel roll. On a down hill situation where dig is required forget it, it is more like the axle is in free wheel.

I have also had my electrics trip out on me a few times. after turning on my radio and then plugging in my battery the Rocker dig starts glitching and making a bunch of noise and none of my other electrics work. Once I unplug the car and turn off the radio I unplug the Rocker from the receiver and then plug it back in and start over. After that everything is fine.
I did notice some of the other guys in the club like Krawlfreak (Jeremy) having issues with there Punk digs also and think it could be in part from the heat, it was well into the high 90's yesterday so maybe heat had something to do with it?

I haven't given up on this dig yet. I'm gonna adjust my pinions a little more and see if that helps some. as for the issue when I turn it on from time to time, I'm at a loss.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

I was experimenting last night, I turned the CC bec down to 5 volts it didnt glitch as bad but it still glitches too much to be useable. I tried a different RX and it still glitched badly, I tried moving EPA and EXPO. And still loads of glitching.

I am going to ditch it and use a micro servo and two microswitches, at least then I will be able to build a proper locker into the system.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
On a down hill situation where dig is required forget it, it is more like the axle is in free wheel.
Exactly what I experienced, an utter lack of holding power when going down-hill. Mine never has caused any glitching, though, so I can't offer any suggestions for that.

Last edited by papabash; 05-18-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to go ahead and assemble a good ol' fashioned servo and switch dig for a back-up after I get my Punk unit replaced. I've never run anything but electronic digs on my moa; will the servo/switch type lock up solidly?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
I'm going to go ahead and assemble a good ol' fashioned servo and switch dig for a back-up after I get my Punk unit replaced. I've never run anything but electronic digs on my moa; will the servo/switch type lock up solidly?
The servo/switch type cuts power completly to the front or rear axle so as long as your pinion is snug it will lock up for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

That's what I was hoping, but I thought maybe the motor had to be shorted like the Punk unit does in order to lock it up. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

So correct if I'm wrong!
If I'm running a Novak goat Esc, my wheels will lock up when dig... verses if I'm running Mamba max with full darg brake on ?
Lowe's48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

mbuzz1 quick Q for you.....

'First thing I noticed is if you're one of those guys like me who doesn't need to read instructions but thinks he can figure things out by looking at the pictures (hahaha) you're in trouble. The instructions don't match the diagram shown so don't try it or you could damage your Rocker. I got lucky! '

I had a look at the wiring diagram on the RC4WD website and it looks like a straight plug in - 1 set of wires to each motor, 1 set of wires to the ESC and then the plug into the RX, what things did you find a proiblem with? I've got mine on order and hoping to have it in the next week or so and wondering what issues I could face, and looks lke you found a few

Cheers
Darren
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe's48 View Post
So correct if I'm wrong!
If I'm running a Novak goat Esc, my wheels will lock up when dig... verses if I'm running Mamba max with full darg brake on ?

I'm also running a Novak Goat 3S ESC I'm also keen to hear a view on this one.
Cheers
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #77

Hey guys I got one of these on my build from JP Customs and it seems to be defective. The holmes br-xl is programmed through castle link and shows green led for throttle and red for reverse. The motors do not turn however nor calibrate. I hooked the esc up to another motor direct with no problems. I am using a dx3r on the 3rd channel. This is my first dig so I am sure I am just missing something simple or the unit is defective.

Last edited by L8Braker; 05-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.
L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Braker View Post
Hey guys I got one of these on my build from JP Customs and it seems to be defective. The holmes br-xl is programmed through castle link and shows green led for throttle and red for reverse. The motors do not turn however nor calibrate. I hooked the esc up to another motor direct with no problems. I am using a dx3r on the 3rd channel. This is my first dig so I am sure I am just missing something simple I may be missing or the unit is defective.
Adjust your EPA for the 3rd Channel...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Adjust your EPA for the 3rd Channel...
I have from 75-150 and nothing..... Getting frustrated with this thing. This is supposed to be a plug and play unit. Maybe I should order a punk s
dig?
L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
mbuzz1 quick Q for you.....

'First thing I noticed is if you're one of those guys like me who doesn't need to read instructions but thinks he can figure things out by looking at the pictures (hahaha) you're in trouble. The instructions don't match the diagram shown so don't try it or you could damage your Rocker. I got lucky! '

I had a look at the wiring diagram on the RC4WD website and it looks like a straight plug in - 1 set of wires to each motor, 1 set of wires to the ESC and then the plug into the RX, what things did you find a proiblem with? I've got mine on order and hoping to have it in the next week or so and wondering what issues I could face, and looks lke you found a few

Cheers
Darren
If you look at the diagram it shows the longer motor wires off to each side and the shorter esc wires in the center. When I received my unit one set of longer motor wires were on the side, the other longer set was in the center and the short esc wires were on the other side of the unit. The instructions describe the installation of the unit like I received mine.

-Brian