Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Servo Mount and High Clearance Steering Arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

I just got my set up and I'm not terribly happy with the fit of it. The finish is great, all the edges are clean, the lines are straight, very well machined. One thing I am not happy with so far is fit. The spacer block is to wide to fit between the axle tube and the shock/link mount. The screw holes aren't lined up all that well to hold the servo mount to the spacer block. And the servo mount tab closest to the shock doesn't let me put my shock back on without using spacers. This just limits my steering even more than it already is. To make all of this work is fairly simple but it will require me to cut off one of my screw hole mounts in the ear of the servo as well as cut the mount back. Not really wild about having to cut a $100+ servo that is virtually brand new. I am running RC4WD shocks and they are very close to the Losi shocks but even the Losi shocks don't seem to work.

Overall, not major issues and I should be able to make everything work but I'm just not too happy with it so far.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I just got my set up and I'm not terribly happy with the fit of it. The finish is great, all the edges are clean, the lines are straight, very well machined. One thing I am not happy with so far is fit. The spacer block is to wide to fit between the axle tube and the shock/link mount. The screw holes aren't lined up all that well to hold the servo mount to the spacer block. And the servo mount tab closest to the shock doesn't let me put my shock back on without using spacers. This just limits my steering even more than it already is. To make all of this work is fairly simple but it will require me to cut off one of my screw hole mounts in the ear of the servo as well as cut the mount back. Not really wild about having to cut a $100+ servo that is virtually brand new. I am running RC4WD shocks and they are very close to the Losi shocks but even the Losi shocks don't seem to work.

Overall, not major issues and I should be able to make everything work but I'm just not too happy with it so far.
I think there is a bad run of them or something. I just got mine the other day and I am trying to put it on and running into the same kind of thing. Mine won't even let me bolt my servo to it without getting a pair of pliers and squeezing it I don't want to do that I am afraid it will break my $130 servo. I was fixin to send an email to JP about it. I think I will send him a link to this while I am at it.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

You shouldn't have to cut anything on your Servo. Don't cut your $100 servo. It's much cheaper to just fix the Delrin spacer. I'm sure you have tried. But have you tried flipping the bracket or Shorten the spacers to fit better. Let me see some pic's of your set up.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Hopefully Lance or someone from JP Customs will read this and give some advice. Like I said, I'm not to thrilled about cutting apart my 7950 just so I can use this link. I'd rather use this one as I really don't like the height and openness of the Xirtic mount.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #85
RCC Addict

I sent an email to JP customs with a link to this thread he will help out. I have always been told he is a great guy and will make things right. I think it is just a bad run of them.

I got the spacer block to fit on mine it is the part the servo mounts to that is the problem. I am affraid to cut it it to much it will mak it weak around the mounting holes. I did try to cut it down a little and drilled the holes over a little but it still doesn't fit and my servo now lines up on one side and the other side lines up with the outer edge of the servo. Anymore cutting and drilling it will probably break with the torque of the servo. I am just putting my old steering back on for now.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hopefully Lance or someone from JP Customs will read this and give some advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I sent an email to JP customs with a link to this thread he will help out.
The guy who made post #83 is the owner of JP Customs.

Lance isn't always on this board so I'll send him the link so he can see your concerns.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And the servo mount tab closest to the shock doesn't let me put my shock back on without using spacers.
Quote:
I am affraid to cut it it to much it will mak it weak around the mounting holes.
Just so you guys know, I did have to clearance the servo mount (right near the shock mount) a bit on mine to get the shock mount to clear. I haven't had any issues running mine like this and I have the first one that he made. I've broken the gears in my servo, but still no issued with the mount.

I'd imagine that it is difficult to design this mount to work with all shocks and all setups....

Last edited by JeremyH; 08-31-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The guy who made post #83 is the owner of JP Customs.

Lance isn't always on this board so I'll send him the link so he can see your concerns.
He posted while I was typing. I would put a pic up for him but I can't and I have already put my other steering back on now. Basically the only way I can hook it up is to cut one side way down and only bolt up one side of the servo.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Thanks Jeremy, I knew that but I didn't see his post. I was typing mine when his went up.

I will get a pic up in a little bit. I have measured everything and it's like a mirror image so flipping it won't gain me anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Basically the only way I can hook it up is to cut one side way down and only bolt up one side of the servo.
That is definitely not correct. A pic would be really helpful. Can you measure the distance between the mounting holes on both the servo mount and the spacer??
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
That is definitely not correct. A pic would be really helpful. Can you measure the distance between the mounting holes on both the servo mount and the spacer??
The problem is where the servo mounts on mine one side is lined up and the other side the mounting holes for the servo are just outside the ears on the servo like it is to wide. I have everything else modified enough to where the mount itself will fit but it took some cutting and redrilling to get it there. The servo will fit too but can only bolt up on one side without cutting on my servo. I am running a hitec 5955tg. the holes are about 1.75 inches across center to center on the servo and almost 1 15/16 inches on the mount for the servo.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Jeremy, I put my servo up to it and it may be big but only by about 2mm. I can deal with that. It's more than that that I need to mount the shock back onto the mount. Pic's are uploading as we speak. I will post up a link to them with a few different angles as soon as it's done.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/w...tmisfit/Bully/

Hope these help
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Scott, yep, in this picture you can see the issue:

I ground mine down a bit angled from the top (wider at the top and narrow at the bottom) if you dont want to space out the shocks. You can try inverting your shocks to see if it helps as well...

If you want, I can try to get some pics of my setup this evening when I get home from work (about 3 hours)...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Scott, yep, in this picture you can see the issue:

I ground mine down a bit angled from the top (wider at the top and narrow at the bottom) if you dont want to space out the shocks. You can try inverting your shocks to see if it helps as well...

If you want, I can try to get some pics of my setup this evening when I get home from work (about 3 hours)...
I had the same issue with mine inverting the shocks made it worse. I had to shave the corner down put a longer rod end on the bottom of the shock and redrill the holes in the mount to move it over some. Then once I got all that done is when I ran into the issue of mounting the servo to it and not being able to use but 2 holes of the mount to do it. so I gave up and sent an email then saw somebody else having the same problems.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Inverting or shaving still won't get it quite close enough. I have already thought about that. I have about 6mm of screw left and it still doesn't even touch the mount. The servo is as far toward the gear case as possible as well
Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

I had zero fitment issues with mine. I would'nt cut the ear of my servo.My shocks are inverted but not spaced out.
Attached Images

Last edited by hardhead; 08-31-2010 at 06:11 PM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Inverting or shaving still won't get it quite close enough. I have already thought about that. I have about 6mm of screw left and it still doesn't even touch the mount. The servo is as far toward the gear case as possible as well
I had to shave it to move it over some but it sounds like yours is worse than mine. They are to wide for some reason. Do your holes in the mount line up with your servo mounts or are they off too? Mine are off about as much as it was to wide to fit right.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
I would'nt cut the ear of my servo.
Yeah, I wasnt meaning to cut the servo ear.....I ground down the servo mount....

And yes, my shocks too are inverted and not spaced...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

I think what I might do is just make a new one, using Lance's as a template. I just need to make it a little narrower and not have any oxtra overhang towards the motor. Mine has both of these issues. I just need to get some delrin plate tomorrow and I'll see what I can do. Unfortunatley, even if a new one would be sent to me I would have to wait another 3 weeks because of cross border shipping. The idea is very sound and it looks like it works for almost everyone who has them but I am most definatley having some issues. I was going to just make this on my own but saw this one so thought I'd just save myself some time.

I just looked at that picture again and noticed that the servo case is already cracked anyway. And it's not the ear I would need to cut off so now cutting that tab off is out of the question.