Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Stub's Dlux HALLSTYLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #161
RCC Addict

Default re: Stub's Dlux HALLSTYLE

Ha cool.

I don't think so. He is liking the super bully shafts for the bergs. I think where the axle engadges the locker is to big on the bully to make an XR axle fit. Plus Eric doesn't like the 8* kingpin. I don't like it either and prefer the route we have taken. It is the exact same as he does with the berg cases.

I should have it up and running soon so we shall see how it performs!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Looks good stubs I was judging on the T1e course that your battery died on. Couldnt believe you didnt have one in your pocket But you still did well. R u coming down to the next So Fl state comp?
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #163
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Looks good stubs I was judging on the T1e course that your battery died on. Couldnt believe you didnt have one in your pocket But you still did well. R u coming down to the next So Fl state comp?

Thanks. You I think that battery cost me top ten. Haha

I hope I can make it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #164
RCC Addict

Finaly got the front end together. I will get better pics and a weight when I get the rest of the stuff from Eric. No laughing at the tierod, it's temporary until the ti ones get here. The axle is about 5oz lighter than it was with cast tubes. Its a little wide right now with 475 hubs but i have some 225's which should put it at 10 3/4"

Heres a couple pics.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #165
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Weird seeing a Bully with a wider axle.

Are you able to keep the tires out of the shocks/links now? How did the .9's work out or will you not know for sure until you get your new hubs?

For good measure I would suggest putting a set screw in the top and bottom of the C also. Its possible to get away with not doing it but I think it makes it much stronger and reliable with just those two extra screws.

Again, it just looks more proper having some width and not gaining it by absurd scrub. I think you will like this amount of scrub. Not too much, not too little.

It will be cool to see where you take this car. As I said in our PM, no more dealing with compromises now.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #166
RCC Addict

Looks good stubs!

Josh6575 is running wider bully axles. He is our r-n-d guy. He said its a trade off. I am running 850 hubs and 1/4 in spacers on stock axles with d-lux rims and am pretty happy with it. Puts me at a little over 10 3/4"
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #167
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Looks good stubs!

Josh6575 is running wider bully axles. He is our r-n-d guy. He said its a trade off. I am running 850 hubs and 1/4 in spacers on stock axles with d-lux rims and am pretty happy with it. Puts me at a little over 10 3/4"
I was running 850's with an 1/8" spacer with Eric's wheels up until this week. There are benefits such as reaching for ledges and what I enjoyed the most, moving the back end around. It is also the biggest downfall. For some reason you don't get the tightness in steering radius. My wheels turn the same degree as before but when I burn in a circle it turns much tighter. It is the only thing that I missed about the XR. I didn't like the angled kingpin as I felt it caused the lower wheel on a sidehill to drive under the rig instead of up the hill. But I did like the lack of scrub steer.

I feel this axle is the best of both. It has a lot less scrub than the stock bully axle but more than an XR. So it burns good but I can still move the rear end around.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #168
RCC Addict

Stubs the more I run mine and get it dialed in the more i like it. I am at 10 3/4 all the way aroung with the king pins 1/2 further out on each side. Missing the reach, but all the pluses are starting to outweigh the reach.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #169
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Weird seeing a Bully with a wider axle.

Are you able to keep the tires out of the shocks/links now? How did the .9's work out or will you not know for sure until you get your new hubs?

For good measure I would suggest putting a set screw in the top and bottom of the C also. Its possible to get away with not doing it but I think it makes it much stronger and reliable with just those two extra screws.

Again, it just looks more proper having some width and not gaining it by absurd scrub. I think you will like this amount of scrub. Not too much, not too little.

It will be cool to see where you take this car. As I said in our PM, no more dealing with compromises now.
Thanks

I really like it so far. Reminds me of the things I liked about the XR with non of the things I didn't. What happens with the C's with only 2 screws?

The tires are so far from the links with the 475's. They will be close with the 225's but I am sure it will be fine. 11 1/4" is super wide to me but there sure are some benefits. I am getting 225's and 350's so I will find the sweet spot. The rear it to narrow for the front right now.

It was working so good today without any weight added to the front. the truck is at 4lb 6oz right now. It would do all of the lines it normals would and one I have never made. The front is 7oz heavier then the rear right now. The balance point is right at the front of the skid.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #170
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
Stubs the more I run mine and get it dialed in the more i like it. I am at 10 3/4 all the way aroung with the king pins 1/2 further out on each side. Missing the reach, but all the pluses are starting to outweigh the reach.
Eric made mine so it's 6.9" kingpin to kingpin. Same as his berg it think? It's about 3/4" wider per side. With the delrin tubes I lost about 5oz over the cast tubes. I still have cast knuckles though. I gave the axle a healthy about of caster also.

Is your rear 10 3/4"? If so, how did you get it that wide? I'm 10 3/8" with 850's and a 1/8" spacer.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

MY bully is currently at 11 1/4" wide in front by flipping the dh wheels and using the 835 hubs. I havent even driven it yet but just looks a lot more stable when I put it on the side of a board to see how much of an angle I can go on when sidehilling I could shave my knuckles for 50*+ of steering and just be rubbing the shocks. Great looking front axle btw. How have your delrin rear tubes held up? I'm thinking of trying my skills at the lathe and making myself some
Super Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #172
RCC Addict

I drilled through 3 of the six holes in a set of dh hubs and screwed through them and the dlux wheel faces into a set of slw .75 hubs. I know it doesn't sound good, but It got me right where I want to be. Also drilled the centers out of the dh to let the nut and wrench pass through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Eric made mine so it's 6.9" kingpin to kingpin. Same as his berg it think? It's about 3/4" wider per side. With the delrin tubes I lost about 5oz over the cast tubes. I still have cast knuckles though. I gave the axle a healthy about of caster also.

Is your rear 10 3/4"? If so, how did you get it that wide? I'm 10 3/8" with 850's and a 1/8" spacer.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #173
RCC Addict

Quote:

We have 1/4 spacers plus stainless spacers that adjust in 1/16" increments.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #174
RCC Addict

And some of them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
We have 1/4 spacers plus stainless spacers that adjust in 1/16" increments.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #175
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
It is also the biggest downfall. For some reason you don't get the tightness in steering radius. My wheels turn the same degree as before but when I burn in a circle it turns much tighter.
I would guess tons of scrub would have that reaction for the same reason that non zero ackerman knuckles would since its like one tire is shooting for a different radius than the other (I dont know if thats going to come out right). I also noticed this trait on my LCC with 850 hubs on an SLW (equivalent to a 1.150 hub on my wheels).

The huge scrub is sweet if it were nothing but reaching for ledges. I got super sick of the huge scrub because of the opposite effect, when I needed to get over a bump on a climb but had to turn while doing it, I would be over the bump but because I had to turn, my inside tire would turn so much that it would fall off the bump. Its the inside tire that lost so much wheelbase that really turned me off, especially when I had to grab a ledge with my inside tire instead of the outside, then it was a huge disadvantage.

Quote:
Thanks

What happens with the C's with only 2 screws?
If youre using the 3mm screws they can be so small that over time they act like a cheese slicer in the delrin. It happened on my super VERY quick since there are more forces played on the C. If you look at the screws on the C you can also imagine how the C could rotate clockwise or counter clockwise when looking at the screw in the C from the front. If you put one on top and bottom the C could no longer rotate. Its captured from all 4 sides. To sum it up, just a much stronger solution.

Quote:
11 1/4" is super wide to me but there sure are some benefits. I am getting 225's and 350's so I will find the sweet spot.
I used to hate wide too. Now 11 1/8" is what I prefer. On Rovers I like a bit narrower though since the tire is so much narrower than a Sedona. Sedonas I run 11 1/8" and Rovers are just under 11. Either way, nice to be able to choose your width rather than your width choose you, right?

Quote:
Eric made mine so it's 6.9" kingpin to kingpin. Same as his berg it think?
Yep, Berg width from kingpin to kingpin. Its a bit wider over all from hex to hex though since they have the weird bully knuckle. That in itself is a small benefit though since the long snout acts as a knuckle weight of sorts and allows a narrower hub which in turn gives a lighter wheel setup.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 05-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #176
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I would guess tons of scrub would have that reaction for the same reason that non zero ackerman knuckles would since its like one tire is shooting for a different radius than the other (I dont know if thats going to come out right). I also noticed this trait on my LCC with 850 hubs on an SLW (equivalent to a 1.150 hub on my wheels).

The huge scrub is sweet if it were nothing but reaching for ledges. I got super sick of the huge scrub because of the opposite effect, when I needed to get over a bump on a climb but had to turn while doing it, I would be over the bump but because I had to turn, my inside tire would turn so much that it would fall off the bump. Its the inside tire that lost so much wheelbase that really turned me off, especially when I had to grab a ledge with my inside tire instead of the outside, then it was a huge disadvantage.

If youre using the 3mm screws they can be so small that over time they act like a cheese slicer in the delrin. It happened on my super VERY quick since there are more forces played on the C. If you look at the screws on the C you can also imagine how the C could rotate clockwise or counter clockwise when looking at the screw in the C from the front. If you put one on top and bottom the C could no longer rotate. Its captured from all 4 sides. To sum it up, just a much stronger solution.

I used to hate wide too. Now 11 1/8" is what I prefer. On Rovers I like a bit narrower though since the tire is so much narrower than a Sedona. Sedonas I run 11 1/8" and Rovers are just under 11. Either way, nice to be able to choose your width rather than your width choose you, right?

Yep, Berg width from kingpin to kingpin. Its a bit wider over all from hex to hex though since they have the weird bully knuckle. That in itself is a small benefit though since the long snout acts as a knuckle weight of sorts and allows a narrower hub which in turn gives a lighter wheel setup.
Yep
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #177
RCC Addict

Thanks for the links and knuckle weights Eric!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

This looks super nice man. Those tubes are awsome and the stance of this rig is nasty looking
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
This looks super nice man. Those tubes are awsome and the stance of this rig is nasty looking
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #180
RCC Addict

Oh ya, with the knuckle weights im sitting at 4lb 13oz rtr.

Stub's Dlux HALLSTYLE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DLUX 2.2 AND 1.9 wheels Erik D_lux Vendors Tires and wheels 136 12-02-2015 08:24 AM
catpwreds Hallstyle 2013 build catpwred EnRoute Berg 26 01-02-2013 10:20 PM