Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > RC4WD

Notices

Thread: AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #181
Rock Crawler

Default Re: AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho

I run 35t and that seems to be the best of both worlds.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #182
Axa

How large pinion can the AX2 take before a smaller spur hav to be fitted? Is a 20T possible?
Any suggestion on what pinion/spur combo will give 1th gear the same ratio as with the Axial gearbox?

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #183
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axa View Post
How large pinion can the AX2 take before a smaller spur hav to be fitted? Is a 20T possible?
Any suggestion on what pinion/spur combo will give 1th gear the same ratio as with the Axial gearbox?

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2
I don't know if anyone has gone bigger, but I put an 18t pinion on my 60t spur and had a teeny bit of adjustment left on the motor plate.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

I ordered my AX 2 tonight, and I know for the rear driveshaft I need the rear MIP C drive kit for the dig setup, but what front shaft do I need in MIP? And can I buy just the front alone, or am I stuck buying the whole set? I saw there is a combo kit for the AX10 with the dig rear and std front, would that work? Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I ordered my AX 2 tonight, and I know for the rear driveshaft I need the rear MIP C drive kit for the dig setup, but what front shaft do I need in MIP? And can I buy just the front alone, or am I stuck buying the whole set? I saw there is a combo kit for the AX10 with the dig rear and std front, would that work? Thanks
I'm not sure what your asking. There is no dig in this trans, just the 2 SPd setup. Stock wraith shafts work, MIPS work, punishers work. Just about anything can be used front and back. I'm running punishers front back just cause that's what I found on a deal at the time.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
I'm not sure what your asking. There is no dig in this trans, just the 2 SPd setup. Stock wraith shafts work, MIPS work, punishers work. Just about anything can be used front and back. I'm running punishers front back just cause that's what I found on a deal at the time.
Yeah, I know there is no dig. I should have read more closely, the guy that was was running the dig version (short) MIP was using the AX2 in something other than the Wraith, AX10 I believe. Sorry about that, MIP's ordered, thanks!

I'm interested in one of those spur covers too, those are sick!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #187
ion
Quarry Creeper

So I have the RC4wd AX2 transmission and got it from a buddy of mine. He broke the output shaft and got the replacement one from RC4WD and the holes for the pins are drilled un equally. Can you guys swap this out? It's a manufacturing defect.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
Can you guys swap this out? It's a manufacturing defect.
If you want to ask RC4WD a question, you need to email them.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #189
ion
Quarry Creeper

I have, and have not received a response from over a month ago, that is why it is going here.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #190
Rock Crawler

just was looking through a thread on RC Sparks and the guy was using the AX2 trans but he was also using super shafts ultimate motor plate or at least thats what it looked like. I thought if this does work it would make the AX2 a better choice.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #191
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
After a lot of use and abuse i broke my output shaft today:

Now i'm upgrading to the HD one
Late update:

I installed the HD output shaft and broke the Axial HD pinion from the rear differential, so i believe the HD output is pretty tough, or the Axial HD pinion was so abused that just can't take it anymore.
Anyways i have a new HD ring/pinion installed, i'll find out what die first, output shaft or pinion
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #192
Quarry Creeper

Looks like I'm going to have to go to the Slash slipper setup, after installing the pro4 I can't get the stock one to hold at all. I even tore it down, scuffed up the slipper plate and cleaned / de-glazed the slipper pad, but no dice, it don't like the pro4.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #193

How are you guys mounting micro servos? I cant find many images :-)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to go to the Slash slipper setup, after installing the pro4 I can't get the stock one to hold at all. I even tore it down, scuffed up the slipper plate and cleaned / de-glazed the slipper pad, but no dice, it don't like the pro4.
Did you try a dab of red loc-tight on it?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
I have, and have not received a response from over a month ago, that is why it is going here.

stuff like this scares me away from this company.. i want the 2sp.. but want some customer service also.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #196
Rock Crawler

It's a very good transmission, I have two and haven't had any problems at all. But if you are not going to use it as intended, like put a monster brushless motor on it, don't get pissed when it breaks. I don't know about there c.s. because I never had to use it. One person having trouble should not scare you away.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #197
Quarry Creeper

I have the AX2 2speed from RC4WD in my Axial JK Rubicon. It has been a great trans so far! Heck I thinking about getting another! I haven't broken mine yet with a Holmes hobbies BRXL and 27 turn stock brushed motor on 3s lipo. BTW 1st gear is so creepy crawly, I just love it! I don't get to rough with my rigs, and I do take care of them very well. The best advise I can give is NOT TO SLAM the trans into 1st gear from 2nd gear (hi-speed) to slow it down. (Thats what the throttle control is for.) Also DO NOT SLAM from forward to reverse or vice versa. This puts so much abrupt stress on the entire driveline, this is especially the case for you brushless motor users. Or people who run weight in their wheels. Remember that rotational mass of all that weight needs to go somewhere, so the weakest link is going to give. The mount for the shifting servo has 2 mounting points 1 to allow standard size servos and 1 closer to accept a micro servo. Just move the 1 mount closer to the other for a micro servo installation. The standard size servo is the easiest to setup on this trans, where as the micro servo takes a little work. Still no biggie. Hope this was helpful. If you do get 1 you'll love it!

Last edited by dwblue00; 02-14-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #198
Quarry Creeper

So I know this product was released some time ago but hopefully people still check it. I bought one of these and ran it for the first time last night. I have it in a 1/6 new bright hummer and so far I am pleased with it.

However, I am running revo shafts and the yoke that attaches to the front output of the trans is pretty big therefore it only allows me to run an 48p 80T or a 32p 52T Spur. I cannot shave the yoke down due to the crosspin requiring e clips. Currently I have a 21T pinion (a 20 is too small) that gives me a lowest possible gearing of 3.8 on a 1200kv tekin roc412. The truck is too fast on 3s and I'd like the gearing to be at a 7-10:1 ratio.

Questions: Is there a longer front output on the market for this transmission? Will an wraith trans output fit in there? Should I abandon the 80T spur/Revo shaft and run a wraith driveshaft to get my spur size back?

Reason I ask is because if I stick with 3.8:1 then I will buy a 500kv tekin 412 and run it on 6s.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #199

GUys what motor you suggest for this Transmission? $$$ is no issue so prefer to buy once but good! I will be mostly crawling and no speed runs
Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #200
Rock Crawler

I think this transmission is pretty forgiving as far as motors go because of the variable gearing. However the pinion and spur gears you choose are pretty important. For the motor you plan to run and intended purpose, choose spur/pinion gearing in between the high/low gear range for the best of both worlds.

Regardless of what you choose I would recommend getting the Heavy Duty Outputshaft for the AX2, the stock output has weak points at the internal e-clips (as noted previously in this thread) and tend to sheer there. Just learned this the hard way with my pro4 powered wraith.

AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith & Honcho | Trailing in the Forest burtonkidd Videos! 1 01-15-2012 03:47 PM
2 speed transmission for honcho Dfrog Newbie General 18 03-28-2011 07:52 AM