Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

Lockouts they are called
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Lockouts they are called

Thank-you. Just getting started. Lots to learn.
NineOuncePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Alright, hold up guys. Maybe we (especially myself) jumped the gun a bit on condemning Redcat on this one. Chris from Redcat replied to my email to them regarding the subject:

"You do not need those hubs just to run the steering knuckles.
It is a great idea to have both but no - not at all a requirement."

Not really sure what to make of all this conflicting info yet. Guess we'll have to just wait and see what others experiences are as us who have ordered these knuckles receive them and try them out.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #24

I don't mind purchasing them if need be, but a side note stating that they are required to work with the high steering knuckles would be nice if they will not work without them. I'm really anxious to get the steering knuckles. I glued some flexible pinewood derby weights to the front wheels to help with climbing grip, not enough to strain the steering servo, but hopefully enough to help with climbing. I'm just getting in on the crawler scene and I'm super excited about the gen7 and it's capabilities, once I get the steering how I want it's on like donkey kong!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Alright, hold up guys. Maybe we (especially myself) jumped the gun a bit on condemning Redcat on this one. Chris from Redcat replied to my email to them regarding the subject:

"You do not need those hubs just to run the steering knuckles.
It is a great idea to have both but no - not at all a requirement."

Not really sure what to make of all this conflicting info yet. Guess we'll have to just wait and see what others experiences are as us who have ordered these knuckles receive them and try them out.

Yup. Back and forthed with Chris myself. Huge oversight on my part. Must press bushing (that i did not even notice) out of removed plastic knuckles and reuse. I haven't done it yet as I am at work (working hard) but will update after I go home and install.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOuncePrime View Post
Yup. Back and forthed with Chris myself. Huge oversight on my part. Must press bushing (that i did not even notice) out of removed plastic knuckles and reuse. I haven't done it yet as I am at work (working hard) but will update after I go home and install.
Got mine yesterday. Can't wait to try them this weekend!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Got mine yesterday. Can't wait to try them this weekend!
Welp... They mounted.. Then the Hexfly servo took a crap.. Replaced with Savox and it too stripped out quickly. Pretty good radius and approach now but; do not neglect to buy a longer throw horn. Watch your dual rate.. The servo arm linkage will no longer clear the plate in right turn. I was too busy being concerned with tire clearance that I overlooked that fact. It's a bit of an improvement.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #28

I installed mine today as well. My problem is that the longer servo linkage is rubbing the left tire. And when I turn left the tire actually rubs the lower linkage. The one running from the middle of the truck to the front. I guess I am going to try some hex spacers unless someone has a better idea. Overall, Its a great improvement. It has a tighter turning radius than my other gen 7 pro that I did the free turning mods to. But it still isnt quite as tight as my trx-4. Overall, I think its worth it and once I get the bugs worked out it will get better.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #29

I also have the same problem with rubbing the lower linkage. I swapped the shock placement and the likage hoping to cure the problem but I going to use a spacer and long bolt so I can move the linkage toward the center of the differential housing. I had to turn the dual rate down on the controller to keep from rubbing, once that issue has been resolved I will have the steering that I want. I will post pictures as soon as I am finished.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
I installed mine today as well. My problem is that the longer servo linkage is rubbing the left tire. And when I turn left the tire actually rubs the lower linkage. The one running from the middle of the truck to the front. I guess I am going to try some hex spacers unless someone has a better idea. Overall, Its a great improvement. It has a tighter turning radius than my other gen 7 pro that I did the free turning mods to. But it still isnt quite as tight as my trx-4. Overall, I think its worth it and once I get the bugs worked out it will get better.
Maybe the Vader skid plate mod would help? It moves the links inboard on the skid plate for better geometry and as a side benefit gives more room for tire swing.

I'm having trouble loading pics from Imgur so I can't show you mine right this moment, but check out this link:

Vader Products Gen 7 skid plate for Everest 10 install/fitment

There's at least one image on there illustrating the situation.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-19-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Can't get photos to display
Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 AM   #31

With my situation moving the linkages in at the front axle is what needs to be done. The skid plate mod won't help enough since it moves the location that isn't anywhere near the problem.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #32

Try clocking the lower links so the bend is horizontal ( like a E10) and not vertical.
Rocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #33

Tried that, even swapped sides between the lower shock mount and the linkage, just not enough room to turn the wheels for what I'm trying to achieve but I'm still working on it.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #34

Could you move the link to the inside of the mount on the diff and use a longer screw?
Rocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #35

That's my plan but I also need a spacer to keep the shock as far away as possible.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Just got my knuckles installed. Nice ft for sure. Steering angle definitely improved. I am not experiencing any rubbing like others (I believe due to my Vader skid plate mod and the front link shape I ended up with along with the offset ends).

Now like others have stated I cannot use the full steering angle available to me now due to the CVAs...Time to find some CVAs with more steering angle available. Many tout the aftermarket SCX10 CVAs and that sounds fine to me but which ones give you the most steering angle and still fit in our stock and aluminum chubs? Definitely gotta fit in the new 180003S chubs I WILL have once they're released...
Attached Images

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-21-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Are the axial CVA shafts considered stronger and/or better than the CVAs that come with the Gen7 Pro? Capable of tighter turns?
So a pair of scx10 II axles will fit in place of the stock gen7 axles without modification? Are the threads the same as well, can't seem to find any information on the specifications for the stock driveshafts.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #38

Got mine installed today. I see a lot of broken CV axles and burned up servos in Redcat's future. The steering can now far exceed what the CV axles can handle which is going to stress the axles and the servos.

I measured the before & after steering angles and will post it when I'm done.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrillkyle View Post
So a pair of scx10 II axles will fit in place of the stock gen7 axles without modification? Are the threads the same as well, can't seem to find any information on the specifications for the stock driveshafts.

From my understanding they will with some grinding of the flats that go into the locker. I may be understanding wrong though.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Got mine installed today. I see a lot of broken CV axles and burned up servos in Redcat's future. The steering can now far exceed what the CV axles can handle which is going to stress the axles and the servos.

I measured the before & after steering angles and will post it when I'm done.
Agreed. That's why I wanna get some CVAs with more available angle. Any specific suggestions?

Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum C's n Knuckles ?? DORK VADER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-06-2009 01:21 PM