Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #61

Default Re: Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!!

I ran across these driveshafts from hot racing for axial sxc10, ax10.

Hot Racing Axial Scx10 II 2 Steel Ar44 Universal CVD Axle Set SCXT288

The picture shows up to 90 degrees of movement, not sure if they will still turn but they certainly look like they are more than capable of more than 50 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrillkyle View Post
I ran across these driveshafts from hot racing for axial sxc10, ax10.

Hot Racing Axial Scx10 II 2 Steel Ar44 Universal CVD Axle Set SCXT288

The picture shows up to 90 degrees of movement, not sure if they will still turn but they certainly look like they are more than capable of more than 50 degrees.

I see those are made for the AR44 axle that comes under the SCX10.2. I'm not sure if they're at all compatible with the original SCX10's axle (AX10?) and thus our Redcat's 'near-clones' of them. I sure would be interested in hearing if anyone else has any input on the idea. Also: knowing 1:1 vehicles with u-joints quite well, I know they cannot turn at 90deg; though possibly they could best the 50deg boasted by the OTVDs I'm gonna try this weekend.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #63

I'm trying to find more information but there isn't much listed for those driveshafts other than what they fit; no specific measurements of the actual degree at which they will rotate. I can't find any info on redcats stock shafts at all, no dimensions on length, diameter or even the threads. I can get that info by pulling out the shafts and measuring myself but I'm lazy and don't want disassemble until I know I have driveshafts that will work and give me the steering I desire (if it's even possible for what I want).

dodrillkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm no steering expert, but I don't see how caster will impact steering. At speed it helps re center your steering, but at crawling speeds I can't see it mattering
"It forces the corner of the tire tread into the rocks, increasing traction. It also seems to reduce the scrubbing that occurs between both front tires, but this is more of an illusion than fact. When digging, it definately gives the front tires more traction."

First response in link below (not my words just my copying and pasteing it)

Caster?
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Okay; Got my OTVDs and FI locker from lockeduprc.com. Nice looking products. I got them installed this morning. Wasn't a bad install at all. Actually, everything fit wonderfully and was drop in. I did have to clearance the inside of the 'arms' of the chubs to give just a little clearance for the larger diameter of the OTVDs. The FI locker was tight as lockedup said it would be; just had to hit the ends of the OTVDs with a file to make them fit perfectly without being difficult to get the axles in out once mounted in the truck. After all was said and done I am pleased with the project. The new OTVDs definitely turn sharper than the stock CVDs before they become notchy. I have to admit I was hoping for just a little bit more then it ended up being but I think I may have unrealistic expectations. I am thinking I might have reached the limit of what any CV style is capable of. I am thoroughly satisfied and lockedup's products are top notch. I recommend this upgrade whole heartedly. When the Redcat 180003S chubs finally become available, it'll really be a nice package I believe.

Before:

The new stuff:

Stock stuff disassembled:

CVD vs OTVD

FI Locker installed on Redcat ring gear.

New stuff test fitting:

Slight interference:

Clearanced and knuckles on:

Complete:
Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Looks good, how much did you have to clearance the c-hubs?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Looks good, how much did you have to clearance the c-hubs?
Maybe about 1/32" or slightly more total per chub. Really very little. Probably could have left it alone and it just would've rubbed a little and been fine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #68

This past week I got the Redcat high steer knuckles installed, and I took angle measurements before and after, with surprising results.

With my old steering setup, which had all of the free/cheap upgrades done, I measured my outside wheels having 4 degrees more steering angle than the inside wheels at full lock.

After installing the new knuckles, the outside wheels have 5 degrees more steering than the inner at full lock. From what I measured, the ackerman got WORSE, not better with these new knuckles. Out on the trails, I didn't really see a difference in how the truck drove. I had decent steering before, and I have decent steering now.

This setup also positions the linkage from the servo arm very close to the driver side tire, and will likely rub any time the driver side tire flexes. Wider aftermarket tires will rub for sure.

One major improvement is that the maximum steering angle that can be achieved with these knuckles is substantially more than can be achieved with the stock knuckles, even with the stops trimmed and the chub screws countersunk. Unfortunately, the stock CV axles bind well before you get that far, so without better CV axles, you can't take advantage of any of the additional steering angle.

I finished editing the video late last night, and I expect to post it tonight. Once I do, I'll drop it here.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #69
RCC Addict

I know that I talked about how I went to the effort of making "true" ackerman steering in another post, but we can't just assume that varying your ackerman angle automatically makes turning worse. It's common for high speed cars to have the outside tire turn sharper than the inside, of course they are compensating for weight transfer vs available grip, or: scrub. With a pair of spooled axles on a high traction surface, you're going to experience a massive amount of scrub and weight transfer while turning anyway, so again, the new knuckles performance may not be negatively affected by the change in ackerman, and should not be judged by that alone.

All said and done, it looks like the new knuckles do allow sharper turning, better tie rod clearance, and a part that won't flex under the load of a very high torque servo. So while they may not have made every improvement possible, they're still a better option than your average cheap aluminum copy of stock AX/SCX knuckles, for about the same price. Right?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #70

Absolutely. For somebody that doesn't want to do all of the mods to the factory steering that some of us have done, these are an excellent option. For somebody who wants the added strength of aluminum, these are an excellent option, and if CV axles with more available angle become available (HINT for Redcat! ), these will allow for substantially more steering once you figure out how to get the shocks and lower links out of the way.

They have their place for sure, and for $25 it's hard to beat.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #71

Won’t a lot of the aftermarket aluminum caster mounts and steering hubs on eBay work they fitt hsp/ exceed/redact crawlers?
Masonsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #72

Or are gen7 different looks same in pics as Everest 10 maxstone 10 and rgt crawlers?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsteeler View Post
Won’t a lot of the aftermarket aluminum caster mounts and steering hubs on eBay work they fitt hsp/ exceed/redact crawlers?
They fit, but they are just aluminum copies of the stock parts. The knuckles being discussed here allow for more steering angle due to the design.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsteeler View Post
If you look to go this route look for high steer knuckles or zero ackerman knuckles. They will have the steering arm up top of the knuckle and not in the middle like stock or stock copies made of aluminum.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Absolutely. For somebody that doesn't want to do all of the mods to the factory steering that some of us have done, these are an excellent option. For somebody who wants the added strength of aluminum, these are an excellent option, and if CV axles with more available angle become available (HINT for Redcat! ), these will allow for substantially more steering once you figure out how to get the shocks and lower links out of the way.

They have their place for sure, and for $25 it's hard to beat.
They definitely give us some more steering angle and with the OTVDs installed (Reference Post #65 on this thread) you can utilize all the available angle they provide. The OTVDs along with the FI locker (complete drop-in install in our Redcat housings) work well. Also look at what I ended up doing with the links and shocks with my Vader skid. Doing this allows the tires clearance from the links. One thing I must say that I believe that the aluminum bead lock wheels I've got on there have a slightly different offset that work in my favor; I'm not sure if the stock wheels would cause the tires to rub at full lock.

EDIT: I didn't measure any angles before and after and I'm disappointed to hear the the tire angles relative to each other have gotten worse rather than better. That being said I can say that the vehicle steered very nicely (certainly tighter radius), without any noticeable negatives when I took it out and played afterwards.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-29-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #76

Having more shock and link clearance won't fix the limitations in the CV axles though. My CV axles are clearly getting notchy before I even get the tires into the shocks. Going much past that point is just going to end up in broken CV axles or chubs.

In other news, I was able to get my video uploaded a few minutes ago:
Old 01-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #77

The aftermarket aluminum nonhigh steer ones appear to be less bulky than the stock plastic ones so they don’t hit axle etc with knobs and general thickness.
Have to adjust my steering on remote so doesn’t stress Servo by hitting axle.

How wide are the Gen7axles approx.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Having more shock and link clearance won't fix the limitations in the CV axles though. My CV axles are clearly getting notchy before I even get the tires into the shocks. Going much past that point is just going to end up in broken CV axles or chubs.
Nice video. It makes very clear for everyone the pros and cons of these knuckles in real world terms. Even I can understand.

I absolutely agree with your assessment: Without changing my stock CVDs to the LockedUpRC OTVDs (and subsequent FI Locker) then I certainly wouldn't have gained much over the mods I had completed that were outlined in your previous videos. Until Redcat gets with the program (hopefully sooner than later) and makes their own CVDs with more angle available then I feel the LockedUpRC OTVDs and FI Locker mod will allow you to use more of the angle available to us with these high steer knuckles.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #79

My only issue is, by the time you buy the high steer knuckles ($20), the new CV Axles ($40), and the SCX10 ring gear & spool ($21), you're already above the cost of one of the all CNC axle assemblies that are all over the place now. Those are a drop-in solution that offer better steering, potentially better durability, more ground clearance under the pumpkin, and WAY better looks.

Point is, once you're willing to push that kind of cash into the steering, you wind up with a lot of alternatives.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #80

Sorry... what do you mean "CNC" axle...
Mikelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen7 Aluminum Knuckles Available!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum C's n Knuckles ?? DORK VADER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-06-2009 01:21 PM