Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Updated and revised SORRCA Rules and Specs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
And that in itself is the penalty. Its that many more points you aren't going to be able to get and puts you at a disadvantage.
I understand completly,trust me I was just clarifying your choice of words so others wouldnt get the imporression they would be recieving a monitary penalty under the ruleset for not having it on the chassis.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #162
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
I understand completly,trust me I was just clarifying your choice of words so others wouldnt get the imporression they would be recieving a monitary penalty under the ruleset for not having it on the chassis.
I guess that'll teach them to pay attention to the written rules then, huh?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #163
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Just doesn't seem to encourage any building or thinking for yourself when you can take a stock dingo ans put smaller tires on it(and other small things) and run class 1. Snobbery? Isn't the point of this thread to discuss the rules, that's all I'm doing.
Really? Go check out my class 1 land rover in the 1.9 section and then tell me if I am not working hard to earn them scale points for replicating a real 1:1.
I am not complining about the rules, im looking for ways to gain them to its fullest.

A driver should not reley on points alone. You should do all you can with points and then work on skills.

If a stock honcho can out drive a pointed out expensive build with the same driver. There is no excuses.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #164
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
A driver should not reley on points alone. You should do all you can with points and then work on skills.
X2

And just because someone enters class 1 with a low point rig doesn't mean they're going to keep it that way. If the rules were written with the bar set overly high and allowing only the most detailed rigs to enter, it would discourage people from entering in the first place. We need to encourage growth and interest, not exclusiveness.

The same can be said for class 3...there will be those that will enter with a distinct mechanical disadvantage, but if they are determined to be competitive they will have to adapt and step up their game.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #165
I wanna be Dave

That Dingo's going to be at a disadvantage when you meet one of those minimum-width gates. TLT's will breeze right through an 11-inch gate.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #166
Old guy

Quote:

And some people aren't there for points, they're there to have fun and hang out.
And those people don't mind not winning and they still have a blast. I'm there to win , thats me. But when I don't win I'm still having a blast with my friends.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
And those people don't mind not winning and they still have a blast. I'm there to win , thats me. But when I don't win I'm still having a blast with my friends.
hellz yeah, I have never let a poor day performing damper my fun for the day,if it aint fun,you shouldnt be doing it
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #168
Suck it up!

Quote:
But when I don't win I'm still having a blast with my friends.
Yup. If I were there to win, I would have given up a long time ago.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #169
Old guy

Quote:
Yup. If I were there to win, I would have given up a long time ago.
It's hard for me to win anymore and I love it. We are getting more and more good drivers in our area.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #170
Pebble Pounder

just build a rig the way you want, let the points fall wherever. this all here is for fun right? not building just for the points. thats all you here now a days, points this, points that. just build a cool rig and drive the chit out of it. must of all HAVE FUN!!!!!!! my .02
later
g
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggooler View Post
just build a rig the way you want, let the points fall wherever. this all here is for fun right? not building just for the points. thats all you here now a days, points this, points that. just build a cool rig and drive the chit out of it. must of all HAVE FUN!!!!!!! my .02
later
g
X2
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #172
bsn
Quarry Creeper

To meet MSD Rules, you need I think a min of 40 scale points to enter in Class 1. When I looked at the Dingo, you couldn't just change the tires and through on a fire ext. and bed roll to get to 40 scale points. Will require actually quite a bid of work to the to the 40 scale points. I don't know that every group needs to run such a high scale point requirement (or any for that matter) but it would be a method to controlling what rigs can run. I for one think that at the local level, scale points shouldn't be a controlling factor for entry. Let as many people enter as possible. I know that when I first started in to crawlers and you look through this site, it quickly starts to look like a $1500 bill just to get a compeditive rig, let alone need to learn how to drive it. If we can make it so someone can come to a comp with a mildly modded truck or even a stock truck, have some fun, meet some nice people, and look forward to the next meet, we will all be better off. At the "National" level, yea, you need to put some effort into your truck
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #173
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
To meet MSD Rules, you need I think a min of 40 scale points to enter in Class 1. When I looked at the Dingo, you couldn't just change the tires and through on a fire ext. and bed roll to get to 40 scale points. Will require actually quite a bid of work to the to the 40 scale points. I don't know that every group needs to run such a high scale point requirement (or any for that matter) but it would be a method to controlling what rigs can run. I for one think that at the local level, scale points shouldn't be a controlling factor for entry. Let as many people enter as possible. I know that when I first started in to crawlers and you look through this site, it quickly starts to look like a $1500 bill just to get a competitive rig, let alone need to learn how to drive it. If we can make it so someone can come to a comp with a mildly modded truck or even a stock truck, have some fun, meet some nice people, and look forward to the next meet, we will all be better off. At the "National" level, yea, you need to put some effort into your truck
At the MSD event it's designed to be a Top level event, why we leave it open to anyone to compete we want to have as nice and realistic trucks as possible while maintain competitive driving, that's why we have such high minimums. As far as SORRCA rules go we haven't mandated a scale points Minimum and Max because we know a lot of new people could be turned away by them, We do recommend that clubs institute some sort of Min/Max. There is going to be a Thread about that once the Course points are up in the Sorcca section where we want feedback on min/max points and how each club applies them

Last edited by slobin3d; 03-08-2011 at 11:18 AM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #174
I wanna be Dave

You have some very valid points. Things like scale point minimums and maximums are something that the local clubs should use thier best judgement with.

Personally, I would never turn somebody away from running at a local comp. The only way to grow (or even sustain) this hobby is by bringing in new blood. If we welcome those people in and allow them a bit of leeway and help guide them, often times, a month later, you see them again, but now meeting the rules and having a blast. Maybe expain that it won't count toward series points or whatever.

The event organizer just needs to let people know up frnot what is expected.

At a national level event, you will see things tightening up a little to try to effectively balance each class and keep sembody from running away with the prize simply because they were less concerned with building a cool rig and only about winning.

Quote:
To meet MSD Rules, you need I think a min of 40 scale points to enter in Class 1. When I looked at the Dingo, you couldn't just change the tires and through on a fire ext. and bed roll to get to 40 scale points. Will require actually quite a bid of work to the to the 40 scale points. I don't know that every group needs to run such a high scale point requirement (or any for that matter) but it would be a method to controlling what rigs can run. I for one think that at the local level, scale points shouldn't be a controlling factor for entry. Let as many people enter as possible. I know that when I first started in to crawlers and you look through this site, it quickly starts to look like a $1500 bill just to get a compeditive rig, let alone need to learn how to drive it. If we can make it so someone can come to a comp with a mildly modded truck or even a stock truck, have some fun, meet some nice people, and look forward to the next meet, we will all be better off. At the "National" level, yea, you need to put some effort into your truck
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #175
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
At the MSD event it's designed to be a Top level event, that's why we have such high minimums. As far as SORRCA rules go we haven't mandated a scale points Minimum and Max because we know alot of new people could be turned away by them, We do recommend that clubs institute some sort of Min/Max. There is going to be a Thread about that once the Course points are up in the Sorcca section where we want feedback on min/max points and how each club applies them
Our club, NWARC have talked about the min/max. As far as the min. if we as a club set our's at say 20pts for a class. If someone shows up with 14pts worth, they'll just owe us 6pts. And next time they show up, I'll bet they have worked on their rig.

At a Major event the min must be meet.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #176
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Our club, NWARC have talked about the min/max. As far as the min. if we as a club set our's at say 20pts for a class. If someone shows up with 14pts worth, they'll just owe us 6pts. And next time they show up, I'll bet they have worked on their rig.

At a Major event the min must be meet.

Will they be able to buy points or will they need to work it off through a 4 point per hour wage rate?
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #177

I don't think there should be a MIN point rule because those people will just be at a slight disadvantage to start. I do think that a MAX rule makes sense however. At least locally it will keep people from just throwing money at their rig buying up anything and everything that will get them those extra scale points. All things being equal, I dont want to be 10 points down just because I didn't spent an extra 75 bucks on my ride. The max point rule wont stop people from continuing to add to their vehicles it just makes it so that everyone else doesn't have to just to keep up. Just my 2 cents!!!
boss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss429 View Post
I don't think there should be a MIN point rule because those people will just be at a slight disadvantage to start. I do think that a MAX rule makes sense however. At least locally it will keep people from just throwing money at their rig buying up anything and everything that will get them those extra scale points. All things being equal, I dont want to be 10 points down just because I didn't spent an extra 75 bucks on my ride. The max point rule wont stop people from continuing to add to their vehicles it just makes it so that everyone else doesn't have to just to keep up. Just my 2 cents!!!
It really works both ways. Without a minimum point rule, a person can build a bare bones, comp specific rig and possibly clean house with it. Not saying that it's going to happen, but possible.

We tried to limit the simple, add-on items that add freebie points, so hopefully people won't be able to add a bunch of stuff that doesn't affect performance. Most of the items that get points are items that in return make the vehicle not perform as well.

Local clubs are free to adjust mins and max's to better meet the needs of their members. So, if your club feels the need to use a very low, very high or no minimum or maximum...or whatever in between, they are welcome to do that. It is, however, recommended that it is posted in advance if there is a minimum or maximum so that people who are attending know how to prepare.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #179
Old guy

Quote:
Will they be able to buy points or will they need to work it off through a 4 point per hour wage rate?
They just don't get as many - points at the end of the day.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #180
Rock Stacker

Default thanks

wow, that was a tough read, all those rants and complaints.

Good job on coming up with some great and well thought out rules, a furthering contribution of this hobby.

How does the class 2 and 3 compare to real world 1:1 racing? Are 42" tires considered 4.2" tires? Then the largest legal off-road tire you could run is 54" right? so then that 54" equates to 5.4"? I think this should be reflected how the rules were considered....as I believe they were but am not totally sure.

anyhow, I love the rules, see very little grey, and what grey there is should be left up to the local clubs to have fun with.
bonks is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/297817-updated-revised-sorrca-rules-specs.html
Posted By For Type Date
Updated and Revised SORRCA Rules This thread Refback 10-04-2011 07:16 PM