Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 AM   #541
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
How about a 3d vacuum formed lexan motor such as the proline bug motor or the HPI motor/hood top combo with supercharger? I could see these being added to a build that has a legitimate 3d interior and drivers such as a wraith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

Any other topics or questions?
Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere but would a realistically painted 3d lexan motor be worth 3d points?
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #542
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere but would a realistically painted 3d lexan motor be worth 3d points?
Where do they sell a 3d realist one. I have never seen one.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #543
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you are asking about the Proline bug motor being 3d ? Not a Chance!!!!!!
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #544
RCC Addict

Why is there dictators? Why not have a democracy? Let the majority of star holding members vote on changes. Give the people what they want. If they don't want it, why force it on them. Lets be American and vote on shit. When someone starts whining, its really short and concise to point out votes made changes. Something to think about for the future.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #545
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If someone sticks weights to their axles in Colorado this year, I'm sure Ty will ask them to remove them. Things like this are an "ever so slight" issue but nothing where we're going to amend the rule in the middle of the year.
If I were shooting video, and saw ugly stick on weights on a rig, I wouldn't use the footage of that rig. I try to keep my camera low and within "perspective" of the scale'ness the rigs try to portray.

Those that truly build a scale rig, DO get down low to watch them move and work the terrain, otherwise the question comes up would be, "Why even build something scale if you're not going to enjoy the scale part?".....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #546
I wanna be Dave

One thing I see happening with the decline in the Comp scene (2.2S, 2.2P) is a lot of guys looking for an outlet and coming over to the scale side for what they are used to, the 10 gate course format because it is familiar to them. I think it's great to see so many of my old friends making the transition but it can and often does bring with it the idea that rigs need to be light and minimalistic. For some the thought of putting an interior, fender wells and other scale items on a rig doesn't make much sense "Yet". For others, the competitive ones, they are starting to get it and the credit has to be given to the use of "scale points".

Locally my friend Nick (now competing with my scale group) came from the comp side just this season. He and I finish every comp very tight but I always end up a few points ahead of him because I drive a 48pt truck and he drives a 37pt truck. You can bet he is making changes right now to get his points up.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #547
RCC Addict

I believe the scale point came about with good intentions. And I can appreciate that.

But what it has become is a scale chess match. Now i like chess. But not in my scale competition.

Scale points should not direct types of builds. But it does because of competition. People will always seek an advantage. IT'S COMPETITION! So now the scale points just becomes another strategy to win.

It's kind of humorous.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #548
RCC Addict

So a new guy with an scx doesn't have a chance in hell. Not only is he going to be out driven, but add a scale points on top of it! For those that know chess it's a win,win.

All because at some point n time some newb with a scx beat a hard bodied rig that a veteran was driving.

LOL. my c2 is and easy 50 point rig. Hard body, caged. And weighs 4.5lbs.

I can play chess. But why punish people who are new to the game?

I honestly wish it was just based on driving. Have a scale build contest seperate, or something. Why punish new people coming into the sport?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #549

im the other way... i like to build for a scale drivetrain and scale appearance and the whole competing thing is just something fun to do. i try to have fun but i end up getting as competitive as anybody else.

i dont have an issue with the rules at all, i like them... even on the trucks i put together just for fun i try to tickle as much sorrca spirit into them as i can.

and caveman.. ive said it many times on facebook but your moonbuggy is DOPE.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #550
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Why punish new people coming into the sport?
New people aren't punished. New commers usually attend local competitions before traveling across states to Compete at the "national level". Its been said a 100 times.

The bread and butter of expanding this hobby starts first with local positive representation. This is the responsibility of all of us to welcome, help and teach new drivers.
Hence why many successful state clubs have such huge followings versus others. It is entirely OK to tweak the rules and alter classes (state/club level) to ensure new comers are welcome to the sport and learn as they go.

Then at that time, they learn just like any hobby or sport and hit that National Level of competition.

I think alot of us put the blame on the rules comittee as if there rules directly affect our state turnout. That is not the case. You are not required to follow these rules unless participating at there events. There is a reason why our state series holds several 60-90 entry events on a bi-monthly basis and only 5-10 of these drivers attend Nats. Everyone wishes to compete at different levels.

Same reason why there are hobby golfers and those whom do it for a living.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #551
I wanna be Dave

When I first started scaling the scoffing at the rules was there. But as you build within the sorrca rules the trucks start looking pretty cool. And you get to participate in events, win win. The spirit is mostly there IMO.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #552
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
When I first started scaling the scoffing at the rules was there. But as you build within the sorrca rules the trucks start looking pretty cool. And you get to participate in events, win win. The spirit is mostly there IMO.
That is exactly my point. "The trucks start looking" But they should be looking like the builder wants Instead with outside influence.

I have won some comps now by -80 + points. And it's always( because you have scale points) yesterday I won both classes at a comp 2 hrs from me.

2ond place in c3 drove better than me. But i won on scale points. I don't want to win on scale points. I want to drive better! I don't begrudge a person because they don't have as many points as me. And I certainly don't want to win because of it.

And that was with a 20 point cap.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #553
RCC Addict

Now there are a lot of guys who like the scale points. But in my opinion it turns people away more than it brings.

And it's funny that for the most part the people who are playing the game to the max and winning are usually the ones for keeping the current system. So in the end I fear a comp crawling result.

Trucks that are so maxed out that the new guy with little scale points doesn't have a chance. And is discouraged frome scale. Just don't want to see that happen
Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #554
RcBros Hobbies

Many local clubs here simply do a scale points minimum. 20-30 points required to compete, but not dependent on final score. There are several ways to skin this cat for the new guys. Its up to us to make sure its welcome.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #555

also... the other comp scene doesnt have any scale points and look how insanely complicated and competitive that whole scene is. you think a newbie is gonna feel more intimidated with a stock honcho at a scale comp or a stock moa at a comp-comp?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #556
I wanna be Dave

Full scale points on the course or the day is a bit excessive nowadays. As was said, event will have minimums or maximums based on the usual turnout. Most events around my area are 20pts max, so the newcomers aren't left behind by 50pt+ rigs.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #557
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
also... the other comp scene doesnt have any scale points and look how insanely complicated and competitive that whole scene is. you think a newbie is gonna feel more intimidated with a stock honcho at a scale comp or a stock moa at a comp-comp?
That is because the courses in a comp crawler event are insane. That is why there should be a pro class. I have said it for years but no one listens. Now there isnt enough comp crawlers to have a pro class. Totally a different animal.

Scale comps are not insane. And if someone does have an insane course then awesome! I get to use my winch or sand ramps. That is what makes scale a lot of fun. You have the ability even with a top heavy rig to complete the course.

And by the way. Throw out that winching penality. That is part of scale and levels the fielD. Time penalties are enough. By having a winching penalty you further seperate the new guy from the rest of the pack.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #558
I wanna be Dave

I vote to let holycaveman just take over SORRCA and implement whatever rules he thinks will work. Sounds like he knows what EVERYONE wants. Not like we've really put any thought into these rules over the last 5 or so years.....

War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #559
Rock Crawler

I love this thread and all who participate in it .....
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #560
I wanna be Dave

It is fun.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM