Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #501
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

The scale points simply say it must have a floor, seat, dash and steering wheel to be considered 3D. That interior (unfortunately) meets that criteria.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #502
RCC Addict

So I'm assuming next year's rules will be more rediculous than this year's? Seems to be the basis of year by year.

And does a stock axial jk body get 3d int? Has a floor..... And a seat...... And a steering wheel with a dash?

Did I waste my time cutting in a wraith int to get the points?

Last edited by JokersWild; 03-16-2015 at 04:16 PM.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #503
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
So I'm assuming next year's rules will be more rediculous than this year's? Seems to be the basis of year by year.

And does a stock axial jk body get 3d int? Has a floor..... And a seat...... And a steering wheel with a dash?

No, I believe it's 2d since the seats are not separated from the floor. It would be a 2d 4 seat interior with plastic cage over 1st & 2nd row seats.
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #504

i hope the rules next year are so involved and detaied that there isnt a chance in hell of somebody getting 3d interior points for what isnt a 3d interior.

most the bitching i read is from people who are having a hard time maxing out scale points. imho that was the charm of scale... work hard and fab stuff, get more points than the dude who just orders everything from tower.

if i had one wish, it would be for sorrca members to all be united in the rules and tell the people bitching that the rules dont suit them to take it or leave it.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #505
I wanna be Dave

BTW, this is a 3D interior!

Justin's "Exo-Caged" Chevy(Clod)
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #506
Scale Detail Engineering

yeah... I've been doing extensive work (and adding a lot of weight) to Hera to get 3d interior points. Well, at least it'll look cooler than the PL interior (IMHO).
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #507
RCC Addict

I personally think that the people that are bitching about the rules and trying to cut corners just need to get over it. There are rules about everything and if you can't follow them for what ever class it is for them don't bother trying to build it for that class. If you don't go to the huge SORRCA events then don't worry about it all, just build your rig the way you want it and have fun. The rules are there for a reason and they will always change with the times to make it more challenging. Our club doesn't worry about all the scale point rules because we want to have fun butbwhen it comes to a big event then we take it seriously. It isn't the rules ruining this hobby it is all the people bitching about the rules and trying to cut corners. Just like with the damn weights I was reading earlier, it is simple, just don't add them. There are other ways to add weights and look scale like getting steel or brass axle beef tubes or aluminum wheels. It isn't rocket science and the rules are not there to make 1 person happy they are there to keep the class's divided and challenging.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #508
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
what. the. heck.

Scale points are to reward building and weight disadvantages?

IMO, the P-L interior should be scored as 2d because it's a single vacuum formed piece... it does not have near scale proportions either.
A bumper car has more legroom than the PL interior (if it was scaled up to 1:1).

This is what is being discussed?
This getting the same point consideration as the one below is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
BTW, this is a 3D interior!

Justin's "Exo-Caged" Chevy(Clod)
Like others have said, fabricating and building these rigs is half the fun. There has to be some reward for the extra effort and weight, the problem is like with most anything these days is that people want the highest reward and benefit for less and less effort.

We all need a pair of these and it will be just fine.

AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #509
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post

So I would really like to know what's so ridiculous about this years rules over 2014?

Is it the fact that we defined what was considered 4ws on a multi axle rig, or that you can't run comp style knuckle weights?

Wow that's a lot of change

If that one rule clarification, and not being able to run comp style knuckle weights ruined your crawling experience, and was more than your brain can process, and was to much change I'm sure sorry.

What' funny is that everyone thinks that everything that get brought up in this thread is going to result in a rule change. From what was discussed in 2013 and 2014 there hasn't been a lot of change so I don' t see what all the fuss is about.

And to clarify I think that the proline interior is and should be considered 2D. But like Warpig says it does meet the criteria of 3D as the rules are written for 2015. Maybe a change is in store for 2016 I guess it will be up to the 21 Sorrca Committee members vote, I guess we'll all see next year.
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #510

...or you guys as a collective could just say the proline interior isnt 3d. it aint like you are going to get fired or anything, right?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #511
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
...or you guys as a collective could just say the proline interior isnt 3d. it aint like you are going to get fired or anything, right?

I've never considered nor pointed them as 3D.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #512
I wanna be Dave

It's not about who put more time into their interior and who didn't I get that, it is about how the rules are worded and in no place does it say that your interior must be hand made or of multiple pieces.
As Tim said "The scale points simply say it must have a floor, seat, dash and steering wheel to be considered 3D. That interior meets that criteria." Unfortunate or not it meets the "current/2015" criteria.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #513
Scale Detail Engineering

yes, true.
But we've all kicked around the term "spirit of scale"... personally (not that it matters), IMHO, this goes against the spirit of scale... and the honor & integrity of building little toy trucks to play in the woods with other grown men.
Now that sounds silly... and maybe it is, I'm feverish so I don't know... but, I personally (not that it matters) see it as a way around the rules.

Like the P-L Bug body... I run that on my C2 and have never asked for 3d motor points... even though I would love to have those extra points.
I feel it would dishonor the work other guys have done.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #514
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
yes, true.
But we've all kicked around the term "spirit of scale"... personally (not that it matters), IMHO, this goes against the spirit of scale... and the honor & integrity of building little toy trucks to play in the woods with other grown men.
Now that sounds silly... and maybe it is, I'm feverish so I don't know... but, I personally (not that it matters) see it as a way around the rules.

Like the P-L Bug body... I run that on my C2 and have never asked for 3d motor points... even though I would love to have those extra points.
I feel it would dishonor the work other guys have done.
I totally agree with you, but as soon as we (as a committee) say "it meets the criteria, but"......is when people start frealing out calling us rule Nazi's and we are taking the fun out of things and that it's just our opinion. It's just not worth the arguing. Let people build and be rewarded with points and accolades, let the people that want to take shortcuts have their points too, but let them know that it's not the way it's supposed to work. Let peer pressure shame them into doing it the right way

I know I'll always build my rigs the right way, that's all that matters.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #515
Scale Detail Engineering

I've said it before and I'll say it now, you need more dad's on the committee that will just say "that's the way it because i said so".
The kids may be pissed off but so what, let them move out and fend for themselves.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #516
Rock Crawler

Ok, so we've established that the PL-C is technically 3d, though clearly not ideal in the spirit of scale.

How about a 3d vacuum formed lexan motor such as the proline bug motor or the HPI motor/hood top combo with supercharger? I could see these being added to a build that has a legitimate 3d interior and drivers such as a wraith.

BTW, there are plenty of PL-C interiors left at RPP lol
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #517
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Let people build and be rewarded with points and accolades, let the people that want to take shortcuts have their points too, but let them know that it's not the way it's supposed to work. Let peer pressure shame them into doing it the right way

I know I'll always build my rigs the right way, that's all that matters.
Lol, I think "shame" might be taking it a bit far

I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that some people might "take a shortcut" in their build, especially if building scale trucks is new to them. You gotta start somewhere right? At least they are trying to build something that looks somewhat scale. As they build more, they will build confidence in building or something like that.

I also think when they bring their build to a comp and see some rigs like yours in person, they'll want to do their next build on that level. The motivation there being the "inspiration" of sweet trucks, not the "shame" of their "shortcut" build.

I can say I've been inspired by the builds of sczcerba, you, pardonmynoob, imthatguy, justinart24 etc... Though I may not be on that level yet, it sure makes me want to try
Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #518
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that some people might "take a shortcut" in their build, especially if building scale trucks is new to them. You gotta start somewhere right? At least they are trying to build something that looks somewhat scale. As they build more, they will build confidence in building or something like that.
I agree, I don't really feel that it's a short cut as much as it's a choice. I used the Pro-line interior in some of my first builds and may use it in future, sometimes that's all that will work for the particular build. There's nothing wrong with that type of interior, it gives you a scale look and covers your electronics. It is what it is, so we need to accept the points that type of interior is worth and scale on!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
It's not about who put more time into their interior and who didn't I get that, it is about how the rules are worded and in no place does it say that your interior must be hand made or of multiple pieces.
As Tim said "The scale points simply say it must have a floor, seat, dash and steering wheel to be considered 3D. That interior meets that criteria." Unfortunate or not it meets the "current/2015" criteria.
not flaming you because im quoting you, im just responding to the idea of the rules not being worded perfectly so its ok.

a dingo body has a 3d interior by the definition of the rules. iirc theres nothing in the rules saying the floor has to be a certain depth or has to extend under the dash for leg room, or the seats have to be real seats, or the dash and steering wheel have to be seperate. i could draw a floor, a seat, a dash, and a steering wheel in 3d perspective on a sheet of paper and argue that it fits within the wording of the rules, and i would hope i got shot down at tech and called out for not having scale spirit.

i could also just cut a hole for the driver and passenger and stick the drivers through the holes and get full driver and passenger points. that would be lame, i'd never do it, but nothing in the rules says i cant.

does it smell like scale spirit? if yes then points, if not then sorry try harder, drive better, and take the points for a 2d.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #520
I wanna be Dave

But if you think about it a Hilux Bench is just a plastic molded bench with a simple dash and wheel. That get the same points as a pair of Wraith seats.

I feel the pro line fit the 2015 rules perfect. There is only 2 point difference from 2d to 3d

screw it do we really want rule Nazi?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM