Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #641
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoCanto86 View Post
Hi, for the first time this year we have 2 scale championships following S.o.r.r.c.a. rules here in Italy.

We have some questions from italian drivers after the first events:

- Transmission: is it legal in all classes to have a system to change from 4wd to 2wd (engaging/disengaging front axle) ?

That is fine, just no dig is allowed in C1 & C2.

- are Losi worm gear axles legal in all classes? especially if combined with the system above, I mean only rear drive and front axle disengaged and stopped by worm gear, I think it should be legal only in class 3 since it's like a dig.

Losi axles are legal and I really wouldn't see anything wrong using them as described in your first question.

- self recovery: if a driver uses at the same time both winch and sand ladder or other recovery equipment, he will get a +3 points penalty or a +6 points penalty? (+3 for winch and +3 for san ladders)

You would get + points for both, so yes +6 for winch and ladders.

- assisted recovery: the veichle used by comp staff for recovery can be driven directly to the point where there is the stuck driver who needs help, or it must start at the beginning of the course and drive through all gates to reach that point?

Recovery vehicle doesn't need to be driven in place, it can be placed by the winch or recovery buddy.

- In class 2 bodies can be both rear dovetailed and narrowed front, but what about fully narrowed bodies like this?

WRONCO test pre-gara - Scalers & Crawlers

which is a scale body of a full stretched Bronco for example, way narrower than a stock Proline/ Tamyia Bronco body.

This narrow bodies are quite popular here in italy, we have not only broncos but also stretched jeeps, hilux, etc.

They are made like this from the factory, no need handmade modifications to make them narrow like you should do with a standard width lexan body.

Do you think they are legal in class 2?

They would be legal, I ran that Bronco body last year in C2. You just need to watch your inner track width in relation to body width.

Thank you for your help , we invite you all to have a look at our Championship in Piemonte, northern Italy, here: https://www.facebook.com/sorrcapiemonte?fref=ts

and Italian forum:
Italian S.O.R.R.C.A. - Scalers & Crawlers

@Locked Up: is it posssible to be part of the official S.o.r.r.c.a. list SORRCA.com if I give you all the information about our club in Italy please?

You can post your club info in the thread in this section.

Would your club like to be a SORRCA member?

Last edited by R2j; 04-30-2015 at 06:17 PM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #642

another question about class 2:

I know that flatbeds that run the full length of the rail chassis are allowed. The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed.

But the then it says that dovetailing the rear *a truggy/tube bed that is narrower than the cab counts as a dovetail* (1/2 the width of the widest part of the cab).

So does a flatbed have to be always as wide as the cab for all the entire bed lenght or in class 2 it can be narrowed/ dovetailed / rounded edges like the stock axial honcho bed?

Or the dovetail can't be considered for flatbeds?
SimoCanto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #643
Quarry Creeper

The flatbed needs only to be almost as wide as SOME part of the cab. Even in class 1. And you can have the rear corners rounded or cut at an angle.

Somewhere in these rule question topics it was discussed that the Honcho rear cage is a tubebed that is dovetailed and that is legal for class 2.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #644
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Body:
• Hard body: full -8, cab -4
• Drop bed : -3
• Custom built hard body:
The body must meet this criteria:
Have 3-dimensional body panels that cover the chassis (not flat panels that bolt in between visible tube work).
Must resemble a known 1:1 body.
Must be hand formed and fabricated from metal or other rigid material.
Full body -4, Cab -2 (in addition to hard body points)
Question about the custom built part. If I take an off the shelf body like a Clod Buster but build it into a Suburban (2nd row of doors, back half of the body above the bed) would this get points for the custom build or just hard body?

Quote:
Suspension/drivetrain/steering:
• Leaf Springs (Must support vehicles weight, No external shock springs.): -3 ea. / -7 both
Does this mean no shocks period or just that it has to be supported by the leaf springs but can have a shock for appearances?

Quote:
Realistic exterior items: (max -6 pts) Items that are non-functional but you would see on a trail truck.
• Fuel cell, exhaust, jerry can, hubs on all wheels, steering stabilizer, disc/drum brakes on all wheels, mirrors(2), wipers(2), antenna, license plate, fire extinguisher, trail tools (Hi-lift jack, etc.) first aid, etc. -1 each
Do these items count if they are in the interior of the vehicle in the cargo area?
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #645
Rock Crawler

Body:
Have 3-dimensional body panels that cover the chassis (not flat panels that bolt in between visible tube work).

Question about the custom built part. If I take an off the shelf body like a Clod Buster but build it into a Suburban (2nd row of doors, back half of the body above the bed) would this get points for the custom build or just hard body?

Just hard body points I believe - a custom body means starting from raw building materials e.g. styrene, ABS plastic, metal, a wood block etc... and forming it into a custom body.

• Leaf Springs (Must support vehicles weight, No external shock springs.): -3 ea. / -7 both

Does this mean no shocks period or just that it has to be supported by the leaf springs but can have a shock for appearances?

I think a springless damper is ok but I'd need a second opinion.

Realistic exterior items: (max -6 pts) Items that are non-functional but you would see on a trail truck.
• Fuel cell, exhaust, jerry can, hubs on all wheels, steering stabilizer, disc/drum brakes on all wheels, mirrors(2), wipers(2), antenna, license plate, fire extinguisher, trail tools (Hi-lift jack, etc.) first aid, etc. -1 each

Do these items count if they are in the interior of the vehicle in the cargo area?

Yes, it's best to have them where they would be kept on a 1:1 so a cargo area would be perfect for water, sleeping bags, spare tools etc...
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #646
Quarry Creeper

Body:

When Judging something like this, I do not ask how it started I ask how it was made, if someones hands not machine went to making it I would give full custom points. If it was explained that was made from a clod buster I would give full points, and for anything custom I would explain I am realistic Law in USA requires 30% or more to not be copyright, so I apply it to the hobby I do aka trucks a custom part ie body must be 30% or more custom or homemade.

This was asked when the TF2 first came out and the answer I always thought and seen when first asked, "a internal spring shock can be a dampener" I personally use Rc4wd internal shock, and gmade ones.

same thing what Crawl Space said.
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #647
I wanna be Dave

To get custom body points, it must be completely made from scratch. No modifying a body and getting custom points.

A leaf spring vehicle can have shocks, but the weight of the vehicle must be supported by the leaf springs. If the shocks have springs, that's fine. But the leafs must be the primary support for the rig.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #648
Quarry Creeper

Absurd and War Pig, thanks for the answers. Now to get building and finish (start) this thing.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #649
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the midst of deciding on a body to run this year. My question is, would the VW in the pictures below be legal for class 2? Taking in consideration of the wheelbase an track width. I will be adding a spare carrier like the one pictured to make sure it falls with in the 3" rule.

I was searching VW builds and came across Desert Rc's old thread, so I stole his pics for comparison. Hopefully he don't mind...... More exposure to a cool old bug.

Grichardson152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #650
Pebble Pounder

does a stock tf2 bed count for the drop bed scale points?
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #651
I wanna be Dave

From the photos the bug is legal, I know there is a couple ran regularly at national events. It all come down to what front axle you pick.
A tf2 bed has alway counted for drop bed in the past. No one has ever put a number to the needed depth of a drop bed but I want to say 2/3rds of the bed height has been said before.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:55 AM   #652
Rock Stacker

Quote:
- Transmission: is it legal in all classes to have a system to change from 4wd to 2wd (engaging/disengaging front axle) ?

That is fine, just no dig is allowed in C1 & C2.

- are Losi worm gear axles legal in all classes? especially if combined with the system above, I mean only rear drive and front axle disengaged and stopped by worm gear, I think it should be legal only in class 3 since it's like a dig.

Losi axles are legal and I really wouldn't see anything wrong using them as described in your first question.
Sorry, there is something that leave me a little perplexed...
if a disengage a worm axle, it become blocked.

In this case having a transmission that disengage an axle using worm axle is exactly like having a dig, as the disengaged axle won't turn due to the gear system, thus making it actually a dig like setup.

So why should it be legal in class 1 and 2 in which dig is not allowed?
musta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #653
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musta View Post
Sorry, there is something that leave me a little perplexed...
if a disengage a worm axle, it become blocked.

In this case having a transmission that disengage an axle using worm axle is exactly like having a dig, as the disengaged axle won't turn due to the gear system, thus making it actually a dig like setup.

So why should it be legal in class 1 and 2 in which dig is not allowed?

Understandably with worm gears, once disengaged, they will not spin freely. However the OP was asking about disengaging the front axle making only 2wd. I also stated that if it at any point makes a dig type setup, it would be C3 only.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #654

-

good morning
These drum brakes are legal in class 2 sorrca rules?
(melting lead crafts)

They may also have points scaler?

rear axle:

front axle:

thanks for the reply

-
(marzo) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #655
I wanna be Dave

I don't see an issue with them since they are made to look scale.....just don't let your kids play with it (lead poisoning).
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I don't see an issue with them since they are made to look scale.....just don't let your kids play with it (lead poisoning).
thank for your relpy.
OK.

I await further confirmation
Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #657
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

They look fine to me.

They would receive -1 scale point. (Non-Functional = Disc/Drum Brakes on all wheels)
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
They look fine to me.

They would receive -1 scale point. (Non-Functional = Disc/Drum Brakes on all wheels)
therefore they are not considered prohibited weights
.giusto ?

-
Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #659
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

You've made them look scale, so I feel they are legal.
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #660
Rock Crawler

You could even take it a step further and paint them to look rusted
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM