Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Been thinking about a new super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
How far do they steer?
Here it is with the RC4wd Steering Kit...

Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
R.I.P. Chip

Thank you, that looks about like the same as a clod with CVD's
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
[HOONIGAN]

Wow, that steering is terrible!
Good thread Jason, I'm having the same considerations for my new super build.;)
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #24
[HOONIGAN]

I think the solution is going to be berg's with 300M gears. Somebody just needs to make some 300M gears!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

jason i am thinking of the same thing. the steering is a huge bonus! but to do a berg super you are going to have to keep it around the weight of a mid-heavy 2.2 i think to make the gears last. i would like to shoot for a 6.5-7lbs rig.
as far as durability the bully's seem to have it, but that has yet to be determined. i think i would prefer to have a very lite manuverable car that you don't have to force to do what you want.

.....by the way i know the guy you have to bl**to get a superjuice!
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
Wow, that steering is terrible!
Good thread Jason, I'm having the same considerations for my new super build.;)
I figured this thread would help a few people. I about crapped myself when I started pricing it all out.

Like I said earlier the bullys would be great price wise, but that steering is no better than my 20+ year old technology clod.

Quote:
I think the solution is going to be berg's with 300M gears. Somebody just needs to make some 300M gears!
I personally haven't had any problems with Berg gears, but I know some people have. It'd suck to invest all this money into a rig and have weak gears to always worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
jason i am thinking of the same thing. the steering is a huge bonus! but to do a berg super you are going to have to keep it around the weight of a mid-heavy 2.2 i think to make the gears last. i would like to shoot for a 6.5-7lbs rig.
Yep i think that'd be sweet, nice and light.

Quote:
as far as durability the bully's seem to have it, but that has yet to be determined. i think i would prefer to have a very lite manuverable car that you don't have to force to do what you want.
The bullys do seem to be holding up as 2.2's, I don't think a lot of hours have been put on the super version axles with 6"+ tall tires.

Quote:
.....by the way i know the guy you have to bl**to get a superjuice!
Once I get my plan all figured out I may be talking to that guy.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I thought super class was dead?!?!?!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I'm gonna have a set of the Super Bullies on the rig i ran at worlds hopefully within the next 2 weeks...I will come back with a full report. After seeing the turning capabilities of Jake and Superdave's Berg Supers at worlds i was completely sold on the Berg idea, but I keep seeing people destroying gears in the bergs and that worries me. I know Jakes rig was crazy lite, so he got away with it. For the guys that dont want to run a titanium cane torsion rig and want to go with the usual 4 link tvp or tuber, your gonna add more weight and have to worry all the time.

Another thing about the Bullies...They are a very "young" design...I'm sure if they do well, which it seems like the are, there will be revisions and modifications and they will just keep getting better and better as people figure them out. I know i already have plans for mods and I don't even have them yet.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I've been pondering doing the same thing Jason for awhile, my worry too was gears. Not sure I wanted to invest all that time and money to chance it with no options out there to upgrade gears right now.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
MODERHATER™

Clod for the win!!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

There ain't no school like the old school.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #32
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Hell yea!!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Time to take some heads to school...
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #34
Release your anger..

Quote:
Moved these posts from another thread.
I've spent most of the night planning, and pricing out my new super build.
Axles=$556
Servos=$559
ESC's=$200
servo syncro's=$120
Receiver=$100
Shocks=$60
tires=$40
Wheels=$40
Chassis=???
I'd can the berg and using the savings to buy better wheels and tires.

Quote:
Great, another $300 to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Another thing about the Bullies...They are a very "young" design...I'm sure if they do well, which it seems like the are, there will be revisions and modifications and they will just keep getting better and better as people figure them out. I know i already have plans for mods and I don't even have them yet.
Quote:
Like I said earlier the bullys would be great price wise, but that steering is no better than my 20+ year old technology clod.
The bullys do seem to be holding up as 2.2's, I don't think a lot of hours have been put on the super version axles with 6"+ tall tires.
Exactly what TF said. These greenbean Bully axles have more potential than the BergV1 super axles could ever hope for. The gears will always be a cause for concern on the bergs. High Powered motors + Tall tires+ smallgears = catastrophe.

If there weren't for the stupid WB restrictions a 14-15'' beefed up berg with 3.2 wheels could probably kick major butt.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

ok so looking at the stock turning i think there is definenitly some improvements to be made but it looks like they could be easly done with a dremel. with my 2.2 bullys i can get far more steering out of it if i were to take a little bit of the roundness of the knuckle off so it has more room to travel at the 2.2 lvl in my current setup its pointless as im allready hitting shocks. thexvds will take more then what the stock turning has im pretty sure i knwo my 2.2 can. and with the new improvements rc4wd has made to the 2.2 bullys and have also brought over into the supers if i had a super class i wouldnt even think twice about the bullys. the weight difference is up to you but for me i likethe weight on the axle instead of on the wheel it self, less rotational mass and less chance of breaking because the wheels didnt want to move or didnt want to stop. all in all i think the bullys are a better investment and with a little modifying i think can do as well if not better then the bergs and with the quality that rc4wd put into the gearing it wont break like a berg might.
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #36
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Time to take some heads to school...
Good luck with that...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Good luck with that...

I can dream cant i ?
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #38
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Clod for the win!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Like I said, there has to be something better than 20+ year old technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuup5150 View Post
ok so looking at the stock turning i think there is definenitly some improvements to be made but it looks like they could be easly done with a dremel. with my 2.2 bullys i can get far more steering out of it if i were to take a little bit of the roundness of the knuckle
I'd like to know if that is actually the case, if I can get around 45 degrees out of the bully I'd pull the trigger on a set of them.

Quote:
the weight difference is up to you but for me i likethe weight on the axle instead of on the wheel it self, less rotational mass and less chance of breaking because the wheels didnt want to move or didnt want to stop.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't want the weight period, was going to go for a somewhat lightweight super.

Quote:
all in all i think the bullys are a better investment and with a little modifying i think can do as well if not better then the bergs and with the quality that rc4wd put into the gearing it wont break like a berg might.
I may look into getting a set to see what I can do with the steering.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Jason, just to let you know, The Eye's Super Bully's at the Worlds were 100% stock using all RC4WD gears. It wasn't a single gear failure, more than one was completely removed of all it's teeth. Nothing has been posted as a fix in RC4WD, nor even talked about.

They are also not as heavy as Berg 2.2's since the set The Eye had, had the lighter CNC aluminum axle housings.

I do agree though, Berg for the win. You can not beat the Super 300 CVD steering. I'm tempted to go stick/torsion is my 2.2 because I'm losing steering as the tires hit the shocks!

My only question is why the need for 2 servos per axle? I know SuperDave had them, but Jake's rig did well with only 1 per axle.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Jason, just to let you know, The Eye's Super Bully's at the Worlds were 100% stock using all RC4WD gears. It wasn't a single gear failure, more than one was completely removed of all it's teeth. Nothing has been posted as a fix in RC4WD, nor even talked about.

They are also not as heavy as Berg 2.2's since the set The Eye had, had the lighter CNC aluminum axle housings.
Just a note to this post. Not stealing your thread here Jason...I am very sorry.

The axles Aaron had used at the worlds used some aftermarket pinions because of trying to get the gearing down. Then those were removed and our pinions put back in. This could have caused the issue. Time will tell and there was testing done and none experienced this issue using our stock pinions.

If these issue are experinced futher...like we have always done, we will get a fix for this. There is no cause for alarm for one set of gears breaking. I don't think any other company would stop production for that. Do you?

As for it not being posted. No one from RC4WD is hiding anything. We have answered the question when brought up. Aaron e-mailed me about this the day it happened. He chose not to post it. We never stop anyone from posting there thoughts, opinions, or problems about RC4WD. We however, will defend the company when misinformation is posted.

The axle tubes are machined and will not be made from a cast mold. The gear housing and knuckles are the only part that is cast on the Super Bullies at this point.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote